Don't be surprised when only the dust remains

Lundorff

I fully expect toxicity in ranked and for the most part I either ignore it or mock it. I am also an old fart that has been playing for decades, so it takes a bit to faze me these days. I don't take ranked particular serious anymore, and I love to run weird builds (like a hatred sin! the horror) and I often get a few choice comments along the way. All fine.

But it makes me sad and frustrated, when some of you older players can not display a modicum of self-awareness or introspection, and begins to blame players for events out of their control, or stuff that outright didn't happen. I get that it is annoying to lose (or even to win apparently), but playing the blame game and decent into name-calling when you can not articulate a mature response is just depressing. I swear more people would play ranked if chat was disabled in SR.

The particular event that triggered this post is unimportant.

Edited by Lundorff

I agree Lundoff and I also agree there would be more people playing if chat was permanently disabled.

Yes, you can turn it off by yourself. But then you run foul of those who will vote to kick because your aren’t communicating.

Ranked has become the biggest catch-22 situation over the years and I believe it has entered a phase where its probably going to die off now because of everything Bioware do/don’t do to fix it as well as player toxic attitude becoming more concentrated due to low player numbers.

If Bioware haven’t got some plans to change things up in the next season, it might be the last season. Ie, they need to fix a raft of issues from rewards (expectations), vote kick exploitation/toxicity, cheating (supposedly doing work to fix), the format with ELO/matchmaking/low population which could be addressed with incentives.

Lastly, they need to overhaul the whole pvp system to encourage better game play / skills so that more players get better and can refill the players numbers as people leave the game or ranked.

That is what I see the biggest issue being. Even if all the things directly to do with ranked are fixed, the pvp population has continued to decline and the refills for the reg population keep become less skilled each generation.

The only way you can make ranked work with a good population of skilled players is to encourage good skill and player development in regs to refill the ranked population. Which is only going to happen with a complete overhaul of the whole pvp eco system, from lowbies to ranked. The whole thing needs to be treated as one and fixed from the top to the bottom.

None of which is rocket science. Those of us playing the game for years have seen this coming and offered suggestions on how to fix it before getting to this stage. Bioware in their wisdom have ignored everyone, including their own ideas and statements. Most of what we see on pvp these days could have been avoided with small changes or reversal of policies over the years. Now we are at a point where the whole thing needs an overhaul from the top to the bottom to fix the pvp eco system in the game if ranked to to stay a viable part of the game.

One thing that Bioware and I dare say a large part of the player base has always failed to understand. Any Negative affects at any lvl of pvp will ultimately affect ranked or other parts of the pvp eco system. If there isn’t a balanced approach to the whole system, then it will ultimately fail as we have been seeing for numerous years. The whole system is one with different Lvls of progression and skill. When you neglect one or destroy one part of the eco system it becomes unbalanced and unsustainable as a game mode. Which is how things have progressed over the years and why ranked is now paying the price for a pvp eco system that’s been neglected.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I fully expect toxicity in ranked and for the most part I either ignore it or mock it. I am also an old fart that has been playing for decades, so it takes a bit to faze me these days. I don't take ranked particular serious anymore, and I love to run weird builds (like a hatred sin! the horror) and I often get a few choice comments along the way. All fine.

But it makes me sad and frustrated, when some of you older players can not display a modicum of self-awareness or introspection, and begins to blame players for events out of their control, or stuff that outright didn't happen. I get that it is annoying to lose (or even to win apparently), but playing the blame game and decent into name-calling when you can not articulate a mature response is just depressing. I swear more people would play ranked if chat was disabled in SR.

The particular event that triggered this post is unimportant.

People would play if it was more rewarding, and if the game engine ddidnt glitch players all over the place.

I am also an old fart that has been playing for decades, so it takes a bit to faze me these days. I don't take ranked particular serious anymore, and I love to run weird builds (like a hatred sin! the horror) and I often get a few choice comments along the way. All fine.

You should be long enough in this game and in this universe to know that you just need to let it in with one ear and just out the other one. Do not stop it at the brain to bother with it. There is no point. This is an online game, you have no idea who is on the other end. Nothing they write ever write has the need to be analyzed.

You should be long enough in this game and in this universe to know that you just need to let it in with one ear and just out the other one. Do not stop it at the brain to bother with it. There is no point. This is an online game, you have no idea who is on the other end. Nothing they write ever write has the need to be analyzed.

Certainly and for 99% of annoying players that is exactly what I do. But occasionally I run into old, known and experienced players that, on the one hand, merits respect due to skill and knowledge, but on the other hand invites derision due to appalling social manners. Can't have it both ways.

I have actually started a global ignore list for this reason, and next season I will simply /ignore everyone that takes it too far. That will undoubtely impact pre-match strategizing and it will makes things that much harder but so be it.

Certainly and for 99% of annoying players that is exactly what I do. But occasionally I run into old, known and experienced players that, on the one hand, merits respect due to skill and knowledge, but on the other hand invites derision due to appalling social manners. Can't have it both ways.

I have actually started a global ignore list for this reason, and next season I will simply /ignore everyone that takes it too far. That will undoubtely impact pre-match strategizing and it will makes things that much harder but so be it.

I assume you are an adult... and you know very well that a lot of ranked players are kids . You can clearly see it in their behaviour and how they think.

You know, I once saw these players talk in PVP chat on Malgus about how ranked should be toxic because it's a competitive environment , and that no one ques ranked to have fun and it should not be fun . :D It's not easy to see here why ranked is so garbage . It's like a party . The people present at the party are the ones that make the party great or make it.. meh.. ;)

We keep asking Bioware to do this , do that... , but don't realize that the community playing it is 80% responsible for the current state of that game mode. Most players that don't que do so because they think players in ranked are mostly ***holes and they don't want to be around such people. Are they right ? Can't blame them for believing that.

The best think you can do is never reply to anyone that trash talks you . Never engage in verbal fights with anyone over irrelevant things like " losing a pvp game" . If they bother you enough, your universal instant ignore list will do the job.

Hatred sin in ranked ? Wow, must be tough on that paper spec. See ? Another huge problem is that only a handful of specs are viable choices while the rest are trash and no wonder there is class stacking all the time. People play only 3, 4 specs that are 80% present in the que and we wonder the game stacks them in the same teams. Every class/spec should viable.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Lol why would someone be a jerk in lowbies? It's literally meaningless

I had a match just today (arena) where the other team was absolutely tearing into a guy on my team. How he healed, when he bubbled ... on and on. For no reason. Oh, also I got berated in /1 for using a medpack during the fight (in a completely different arena).

I kinda like getting yelled at, but I an see how people would get sick of it.

I had a match just today (arena) where the other team was absolutely tearing into a guy on my team. How he healed, when he bubbled ... on and on. For no reason. Oh, also I got berated in /1 for using a medpack during the fight (in a completely different arena).

I kinda like getting yelled at, but I an see how people would get sick of it.

Apparently the game has really gone down the tubes in my short (albeit ongoing) hiatus. Just lowbies, really? Like lay off in lowbies.

Edited by KendraP

Lol why would someone be a jerk in lowbies? It's literally meaningless

There are some jerks in lowbies. But not many (on SF, can’t speak for other servers).

What I find really irritating is the amount of cheating going on in lowbies. It blows my mind when I see people doing it. They are usually bad players and when they try to cheat they can’t even do that properly (it really stands out) and I global them.

Sadly, I suspect these guys are using lowbies and throw away accounts to learn how to cheat for lvl 75 or ranked pvp.

So do not be surprised if you start to see an increase in those formats.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

If they bother you enough, your universal instant ignore list will do the job.

Yes but like he said, then the prematch strategy will be hard to understand. I mean, mostly its enough to mark the targets and people already know what to do, but in case you have stuff like "open on merc then swap to shadow when he appears" it will be a bit harder. Ignoring everyone in the end will make the game a bit dull, but on the otherhand it might be better than the trashtalking.

Hatred sin in ranked ? Wow, must be tough on that paper spec. See ? Another huge problem is that only a handful of specs are viable choices while the rest are trash and no wonder there is class stacking all the time. People play only 3, 4 specs that are 80% present in the que and we wonder the game stacks them in the same teams. Every class/spec should viable.

I also play hatred sin and people ask me if I am trolling. Well, I just like the spec. It is hard sometimes indeed, but in many cases its quite good.

Apparently the game has really gone down the tubes in my short (albeit ongoing) hiatus. Just lowbies, really? Like lay off in lowbies.

I was leveling an operative recently and also played lowbies for fun and I did find quite a few troll groups that have probably F2P accounts as they do not level plast level 60 so they enjoy decent abilities and also organized group play. Some have even been level 74 and they logged off each time before end of match. So yeah, lowbies are quite busy. It is a fun mode in a way that you do not have all the abilities so its kinda tricky to play.

I was leveling an operative recently and also played lowbies for fun and I did find quite a few troll groups that have probably F2P accounts as they do not level plast level 60 so they enjoy decent abilities and also organized group play. Some have even been level 74 and they logged off each time before end of match. So yeah, lowbies are quite busy. It is a fun mode in a way that you do not have all the abilities so its kinda tricky to play.

The trolls that premade in lowbies kill the queue with in 20 mins of them joining. Especially if the pops are only arena because the queue numbers are already low.

This isn’t a criticism of premades in lowbies because there are legitimate premades. It’s the ones who group to specifically troll

And the best part is that u can be reported because u play bad ang get permabanned by bioware himself... Delicious XD

At this rate ranked will be played by the same 8 person so they can be toxic between them 😊

And the best part is that u can be reported because u play bad ang get permabanned by bioware himself... Delicious XD

At this rate ranked will be played by the same 8 person so they can be toxic between them 😊

Why do you think people don’t bother to play it or take any of it seriously?.

At this point I think they want to let it go and let the ship sink taking their time to gain what it remain to gain

go back to your pity party thread. we've seen you're a huge problem in ranked pvp and you were not banned for being a "bad" player