Incorrect alignment points provided from Sundari-Garos Accord mission

InlandVermin

My companion Lana Beniko just returned with +39 LS points from the above diplomacy mission and I am fully DS aligned at DS 5, with the light vs dark meter firmly planted in the dark side. Hope this is the correct place to post this as CS told me to submit a bug (which I've done) and post a thread, but weren't specific on where that should go.

I've returned to play after quite a long absence, so a lot has changed... I understand that we used to get either LS or DS points depending on what mission you chose, but now all crew skill provide points based on your selection in the Light vs Dark toggle

I've read on a similar thread from a year ago, that you can burn off excess undesired alignment points once you reach 100,000 points (level 5). Is someone able to confirm if this is still true?

If it is, then there's not really any point to identifying the bug and asking for the mission reward to be scrubbed, as it will take SFA time to burn off 39 points. Currently The mission is still sitting in the pending reward box as I don't want to accept it if I can't burn off these points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's not a bug.

Before 5.0 introduced the dark/light slider to select your intended alignment, Diplomacy was the ONLY crew skill that gave dark or light points. Each mission had its theme (benevolence, helping people, saving them, etc. versus lying, cheating, and stealing) that determined whether the mission gave dark or light points - the "Diplomacy Alignment Points" or DAPs.

5.0 added the slider, and all crew skill missions now give what I call AKPs - Alignment Knob Points - that are determined by the position of the alignment knob (dark/light selector).

Diplomacy missions, however, in addition to their AKPs, also give the same DAPs they used to give.

So a "light" themed mission that you do with the selector on "dark" will give light DAPs AND dark AKPs. Worse, the AKPs are applied first, then the DAPs, so if you do a mission in "crossed" mode, you always get "wrong" points. Worse still, if you run a "crossed" mission and it's a critical success, the DAPs are doubled but the AKPs are not.

It's an oversight rather than a catastrophic bug, especially as this differs from all other cases of "crossed" rewards, where the points cancel each other BEFORE they are applied.

The solution is for you to mouse over the alignment symbol on the mission before sending your crew on it. You'll get a tooltip that lists the number of points for a "normal" success. Run only missions that give X dark and 0 light (or 0 dark and X light for a light side character).

And yes, the mechanic of burning off the other side once one side is maxed still works. Note: you aren't Dark V unless you have dark maxed and light actually at zero.

Well damn, that is annoying. I've logged in again and see what you mean, tool tip shows varying point on different missions. It feels a little deceptive TBH as the mission only shows my DS marker next to the mission content. Appreciate the advice, thanks! Edited by InlandVermin

Well damn, that is annoying. I've logged in again and see what you mean, tool tip shows varying point on different missions. It feels a little deceptive TBH as the mission only shows my DS marker next to the mission content. Appreciate the advice, thanks!

No problem. I agree that the alignment indicator is bogus on Diplomacy missions. Before 5.0, it was the only mission type that had the indicator, and it showed the alignment of the DAPs. I'm not sure what the best solution is, but some sort of composite symbol, like the Alliance symbol is a composite of the Republic and Empire symbols, could work. (Perhaps put the DAP alignment on the left and the AKP alignment on the right, that sort of thing.)