Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise

CyberCommando

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I checked they wiped the floor with the rebel troops on the Tantive IV, plus movies don't give them justice now the books focusing on stormtroopers show how they are really elite.

ehh they did ok they still lost a bunch of men and even then r2d2 and C 3po were able to stumbble across their line of fire with out getting shot.

Remember Movies are the top of the food chain so if the stormtroopers can't shoot in the movies then it doesn't matter what they say in the books.

Edited by jarjarloves

ehh they did ok they still lost a bunch of men and even then r2d2 and C 3po were able to stumbble across their line of fire with out getting shot.

Always bugged me about the OT. Just that one bit. They should have died.

Although, maybe the ST are such good shots and they only aimed at the Rebels, thinking shooting droids was a waste of ammo???

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan

"These blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

And yet not one heroic character is killed by there marksmanship, despite them having ample shots. WHY?

A couple of decades alone in the desert turned Obi-Wan into a compulsive liar. That became obvious when the prequels were released.

They lost like one guy, the guy at the front of the stack. That's like the most dangerous position to be in when initiating a firefight through a breeching maneuver. Again, you civies have no concept of how actual firefights work. And R2 and C3P0 walked behind the Rebels troopers, no one was aiming for them.

Always bugged me about the OT. Just that one bit. They should have died.

Although, maybe the ST are such good shots and they only aimed at the Rebels, thinking shooting droids was a waste of ammo???

Why wouldn't they shoot the droids? If they knew they were after the droids they could quick shoot them and stop them from escaping and we know droids can be blown apart and still have their memory in tact. R2 at the end of A New Hope gets hit with a Tie Fighters Blasters and a storm trooper blasts C-3PO in Empire.

If they didn't know they were after them then it wouldn't matter if they destroyed the droids.

One of em also hit R2 on endor, so if they are so inaccurate they shouldn't have been able to hit him.

it was 1 hit out of how many misses? Han Leia and R2 were standing in front of a wall with no cover. 3 Storm Troopers are directly in front of them with full cover and only manged to hit R2 D2 and graze Prince Leias arm.

If you watch that scene too there are some SPECTACULAR misses by the storm troopers.

They lost like one guy, the guy at the front of the stack. That's like the most dangerous position to be in when initiating a firefight through a breeching maneuver. Again, you civies have no concept of how actual firefights work. And R2 and C3P0 walked behind the Rebels troopers, no one was aiming for them.

Nope watch it again. They lose 1guy in when the door opens then another 1 or 2 after that. Then another 1 when they get around the corner where R2 and C3 are.

R2 and C3 DO NOT walk behind the Rebels they walk DIRECTLY IN BETWEEN the Rebels and the Imps.

OH and YES I DO KNOW HOW firefights work I had my CQC training when I served and that is nothing like it. Now I am not expecting it to be as no one who worked on the OT had any military training but yeah.. Stormtroopers suck

Edited by jarjarloves

Why wouldn't they shoot the droids? If they knew they were after the droids they could quick shoot them and stop them from escaping and we know droids can be blown apart and still have their memory in tact. R2 at the end of A New Hope gets hit with a Tie Fighters Blasters and a storm trooper blasts C-3PO in Empire.

If they didn't know they were after them then it wouldn't matter if they destroyed the droids.

Well at the start, the stormtroopers weren't after the droids they were after the plans to the death star. They didn't know that R2 had the death star plans, they thought the plans were on the main computer aboard the ship it wasn't until after the firefight that they knew droids had the plans.

Well at the start, the stormtroopers weren't after the droids they were after the plans to the death star. They didn't know that R2 had the death star plans, they thought the plans were on the main computer aboard the ship it wasn't until after the firefight that they knew droids had the plans.

exactly so they had no reason NOT to shoot the droids. Storm Troopers are supposed to be this elite killing machines and yet they can't shoot 2 targets that are slowly moving in front of them.

At the very least it is putting them at risk because every second they don't have a clear shot is another second they could end up being killed.

Add that to the their accuracy through the rest of the series and the only constant is that storm troopers are horrible shots.

Oh come on, there's only one reason to explain why the Stormtroopers are such horrible shots in the movies and that is Plot Induced Stupidity.

Because if they were the crack shots they are "supposed" to be, then luke and leia and probably Han and Chewie are killed trying to escape the Death star.

And then where would we be? ...

Screwed.

Because if they were the crack shots they are "supposed" to be, then luke and leia and probably Han and Chewie are killed trying to escape the Death star.

Are you just incapable of following the plot of the movie or something?

Princess Leia: They let us go. It was the only reason for the ease of our escape.

Han Solo: Easy? You call that easy?

Princess Leia: They're tracking us.

Han Solo: Not this ship, sister.

Governor Tarkin: Are they away?

Darth Vader: They've just made the jump into hyperspace.

Governor Tarkin: You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I'm taking an awful risk, Vader. This had better work.

The Stormtroopers, firing from the hip (hint hint: this is difficult to do accurately), were shooting with sufficient accuracy to convince an ex-Stormtrooper that they were out to kill.

Princess Leia: They let us go. It was the only reason for the ease of our escape.

Governor Tarkin: You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I'm taking an awful risk, Vader. This had better work.

The Stormtroopers, firing from the hip (hint hint: this is difficult to do accurately), were shooting with sufficient accuracy to convince an ex-Stormtrooper that they were out to kill.

Which in all fairness makes no sense. Because lets face it, if they'd of killed them all the plans would never have ended up in Rebel hands anyway.

But I'll allow for the fact that they didn't know the droids were on Hans ship, and they assumed it was mere coincidence that a ship from tatooine just happened to come to Alderaan for the heck of it.

You're missing my point as the Death Star escape was merely an example. Maybe a bad one? who knows. The point being that they shoot badly in all the OT, when in "cannon" they are supposed to be crack shots. So when they storm Docking Bay 94, they could have taken a few of them down before take off. The biggest example of course being, that the Stormtroopers should have slaughtered the Ewoks. That was the biggest PIS scene I think has ever been committed to big screen.

Which in all fairness makes no sense. Because lets face it, if they'd of killed them all the plans would never have ended up in Rebel hands anyway.

But I'll allow for the fact that they didn't know the droids were on Hans ship, and they assumed it was mere coincidence that a ship from tatooine just happened to come to Alderaan for the heck of it.

You're missing my point as the Death Star escape was merely an example. Maybe a bad one? who knows. The point being that they shoot badly in all the OT, when in "cannon" they are supposed to be crack shots. So when they storm Docking Bay 94, they could have taken a few of them down before take off. The biggest example of course being, that the Stormtroopers should have slaughtered the Ewoks. That was the biggest PIS scene I think has ever been committed to big screen.

They actually were winning the battle of endor, ok so a few were knocked over but that doesn't nessecarily mean they got killed. For all we know off screen they were killing ewoks, plus those AT-STs were tearing through them too. It wasn't until Chewie hijacked another AT-ST that the rebels started to win the battle.

" Despite being outnumbered by the natives, the Stormtroopers with their armor and advanced weapons forced the Ewoks back"

"The tide of the battle began to turn as Chewbacca used this AT-ST to take out isolated Imperial units as well as another Imperial walker. The sight of this rallied the remaining Ewoks, who had been retreating into the woods, and they doubled their efforts behind the stolen AT-ST. "

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The bad guys didn't think the plans were a big deal, they were convinced the Death Star was invincible. What they wanted was the Rebel base's location.

They actually were winning the battle of endor, ok so a few were knocked over but that doesn't nessecarily mean they got killed. For all we know off screen they were killing ewoks, plus those AT-STs were tearing through them too. It wasn't until Chewie hijacked another AT-ST that the rebels started to win the battle.

" Despite being outnumbered by the natives, the Stormtroopers with their armor and advanced weapons forced the Ewoks back"

"The tide of the battle began to turn as Chewbacca used this AT-ST to take out isolated Imperial units as well as another Imperial walker. The sight of this rallied the remaining Ewoks, who had been retreating into the woods, and they doubled their efforts behind the stolen AT-ST. "

Proving the point that the Stormtroopers bad shots was all for the plot, with no actual substance. The Ewoks "victory", and of course Chewie's brilliant handling of the AT-ST meant that Han could disrupt the shield and allow for the DSII's destruction.

The bad guys didn't think the plans were a big deal, they were convinced the Death Star was invincible. What they wanted was the Rebel base's location.

If this was the case, then why was Darth Vader himself tasked with hunting down the plans?

I think you might be confused. The plan to allow them to escape didn't occur until after they rescue the princess.

Remember

Darth Vader is told the ship is empty

Tarkin is shocked and surprised when he hears that there is someone trying to rescue the princess (why would he be surprised at that if it was the plan all along)

Tarkin then believes that Obi Wan is in the station and he says "If he is here he MUST NOT be allowed to escape"

Then Vader says "Escape is not his plan"

So you see the storm troopers were not missing on purpose until at the very least until after the trash compactor scene.

So during the entire prison break out where the Storm troopers have some of the worst aim ever (see attached video) they were trying to kill them.

I know we have disscused this before but I still dissagree the Storm Troopers where ever winning.

It seems more likely they where just luring them deeper into the woods to spread them out and use the traps they set up to destroy them.

I know we have disscused this before but I still dissagree the Storm Troopers where ever winning.

It seems more likely they where just luring them deeper into the woods to spread them out and use the traps they set up to destroy them.

The only comparison I can draw from here is the Vietnamese in that war. The Vietnamese were technologically inferior (as were the Ewoks) to the Americans (Empire) but the Americans(Empire) were simply not used to jungle warfare. Being so out of depth to their usual field of battle they were unexpectedly overwhelmed with tactics they were unfamiliar with and, in the short battle of Endor, were taken out in that regards.

Thinking on it as thus, I may have to revoke my previous statement saying that such a battle was "the worst ever committed to film"

Still, in regards to the thread itself, I do believe the Stormtroopers themselves to be crack shots, it's just that in regards to what is shown in the films, we get, what is created to allow the on screen plot to circumvent "rational reasoning" in regards to what the troopers are actually capable of.

I think you might be confused. The plan to allow them to escape didn't occur until after they rescue the princess.

Remember

Darth Vader is told the ship is empty

Tarkin is shocked and surprised when he hears that there is someone trying to rescue the princess (why would he be surprised at that if it was the plan all along)

Tarkin then believes that Obi Wan is in the station and he says "If he is here he MUST NOT be allowed to escape"

Then Vader says "Escape is not his plan"

So you see the storm troopers were not missing on purpose until at the very least until after the trash compactor scene.

So during the entire prison break out where the Storm troopers have some of the worst aim ever (see attached video) they were trying to kill them.

Well to be fair here, you see a lot of smoke in the cell block which could also obscure their already limited vision due to their helmets.

Well to be fair here, you see a lot of smoke in the cell block which could also obscure their already limited vision due to their helmets.

Have you played the Republic Commando game? I only ask because I have, and it leads to some strange results. You see from the HUD (Heads-Up Display) that you can see a lot more, than the outside look of the Visor may seem like it can. So using "limited Visor vision" as an excuse, is in my opinion, not a great one. Because one would think, a Stormtrooper helmet would be an advanced version of a Clone Troopers helmet.

As for smoke, the helm has various modes; in the game all you can use is night vision. But if our tech now can also give us infra-red and such, I'd hope that trooper helms have that sort of system as well.

If not well, too bad for the troopers. But there's a lot of tech that I would think would enhance them as fighters, to allow for most of the core to be "crack shots" But then, that's just my opinion.

Edited by Ruliya

Have you played the Republic Commando game? I only ask because I have, and it leads to some strange results. You see from the HUD (Heads-Up Display) that you can see a lot more, than the outside look of the Visor may seem like it can. So using "limited Visor vision" as an excuse, is in my opinion, not a great one. Because one would think, a Stormtrooper helmet would be an advanced version of a Clone Troopers helmet.

As for smoke, the helm has various modes; in the game all you can use is night vision. But if our tech now can also give us infra-red and such, I'd hope that trooper helms have that sort of system as well.

If not well, too bad for the troopers. But there's a lot of tech that I would think would enhance them as fighters, to allow for most of the core to be "crack shots" But then, that's just my opinion.

Err...thats not a real good example, and I have but canon is with me on this one. Stormtrooper helmets obstruct vision greatly, now they can overcome this impaired vision but I would guess it takes time to do so and the wearer would need to focus on what they are trying to see.

Luke: "I can't see a thing in this helmet."

Now veteran stormtroopers may not have a vision problem, but I would guess that new or those that have just been around a year or so may not have overcome their vision problems.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Err...thats not a real good example, and I have but canon is with me on this one. Stormtrooper helmets obstruct vision greatly, now they can overcome this impaired vision but I would guess it takes time to do so.

Luke: "I can't see a thing in this helmet."

Hahaha, oh yea. Nice one Luke xD I had forgotten that quote, so thank you.

The premise of my idea is good in theory I suppose, but damned Lucas and all that. So okay, that one goes against the Stormtrooper... but Really, as Humans we can only go so far back as maybe the 1400's? (if not earlier) for Knights helmets to be restricting to a knights vision while fighting; I'll hold my hands up here as not being an expert, so please excuse me if I'm wrong.

But as my premise goes, you would still hope the Stormtroopers Helm would be tech advanced to counter that.

But then Luke does say what he says... but then isn't he "A little short to be a Stormtrooper" ? maybe that could be why he couldn't see anything. Despite the suit seeming to fit him perfectly >.<