About Carnage and Alacrity. (PVE)

Tatami

I don't need any pvp advice I have retired from PVP currently.

I'm wondering, how much alacrity should I have around for a pve setup on my Carnage Marauder? Right now all of my enhancements on my equipment, with the exception of my mainhand have power/alacrity enhancements in them. I am getting mixed messages on what's best for marauder these days. I personally feel like I need some more surge. I have power/surge enhancements I kept around for when I "upgraded" to power/alacrity. So, I can swap back if need be.

So, yeah what is the general consensus on Alacrity gear on a marauder in PVE? How much should I aim for, what should I sacrifice and what should I avoid sacrificing at all costs.

I wont give you any of the math just personal observations.

I've tried an Alacrity build with as much power as i could get and about 5% alacrity and felt like I was swinging a rubber hose at mobs for all the damage i did. I dumped all the alacrity and as much crit as I've been able to get rid of for straight power/str and now it seems i can look at mobs and they die. More Powar

Power isn't an issue as I have power/alacrity enhancements. What I am sacrificing for alacrity is Surge.

I would definately sacrifice Alacrity for Surge as ANY Warrior/Knight. Alacrity now does not affect Ravage AND Force Choke. so really Alacrity is only there for shorter GCD and faster attack animations. Carnage should stack like this

Power > Surge > Alacrity. you might be asking "Where's Crit? well Crit in 2.0 was blown to absolute ******* so Crit is not put in there.

I tried 7.68% alacrity...

0 alacrity my GCD = 1.5sec

7.68% alacrity my GCD = 1.43sec

So, alacrity is useless for us, just use the alacrity from berserk and use Surge/accuracy enhancements.

Don't waste your time and money trying alacrity enhancements.

I don't need any pvp advice I have retired from PVP currently.

I'm wondering, how much alacrity should I have around for a pve setup on my Carnage Marauder? Right now all of my enhancements on my equipment, with the exception of my mainhand have power/alacrity enhancements in them. I am getting mixed messages on what's best for marauder these days. I personally feel like I need some more surge. I have power/surge enhancements I kept around for when I "upgraded" to power/alacrity. So, I can swap back if need be.

So, yeah what is the general consensus on Alacrity gear on a marauder in PVE? How much should I aim for, what should I sacrifice and what should I avoid sacrificing at all costs.

The short answer is - Alacrity is horrible for warriors. Doesn't matter which AC/spec you pick it should be avoided. If that is sufficient for you and you trust it, then you can stop reading. If not, the long answer follows...

The long answer - The usefulness of alacrity for any class comes down to one issue, and that issue is resource management. Alacrity speeds up attacks, which leads one to believe "more attacks per second = more damage per second". However, more attacks per second also means faster resource depletion. To balance this, BW added resource regen to the alacrity stat along with it's other changes. This is why it is useless to warriors. Energy/Force/Heat all regen over time, Rage does not. As warriors, we can only generate rage using specific abilities with set CDs. Alacrity does not lower these cooldowns. So what alacrity allows a warrior to do is spend rage faster but not generate it any faster. This is bad. Think of it this way; as a warrior, I can only generate "X" rage per second. I spend this rage to do dmg. If I spend the rage faster I must fill the spaces when I run out of it with low dmg or non rage fueled attacks. While technically this would be a slight increase to dps (I can fit a few regular attacks more after my rotation!) alacrity is not free. Its not worth the trade off of surge/ACC. Plus, any regular attacks (assault) in your rotation should be avoided at all costs anyway.

Astellon - The Shadowlands

"Your friendly neighborhood rage jugg"

EDIT: Just thought of a new question this post might raise for carnage maras. I will attempt to keep it short.

"But Astellon," you ask, "If alacrity is so bad for warriors does that mean my carnage spec berserk (+30% alacrity) sucks?!"

Not at all! It just serves a very specific purpose. It is for when gore is active. It allows you to fit an extra GCD into the gore effect window.

Edited by MrFantastik
addition

I tried 7.68% alacrity...

0 alacrity my GCD = 1.5sec

7.68% alacrity my GCD = 1.43sec

So, alacrity is useless for us, just use the alacrity from berserk and use Surge/accuracy enhancements.

Don't waste your time and money trying alacrity enhancements.

Hey, that's very interesting! The math doesn't work on that. Should be 1.38 sec GCD with 7.68% Alacrity.

1.5 x 0.0768 = 0.1152

1.5 - 0.1152 = 1.3848

Wonder if its working as intended. Can you confirm your numbers?

Astellon - The Shadowlands

"Your friendly neighborhood rage jugg"

Edited by MrFantastik
edit

The long answer - The usefulness of alacrity for any class comes down to one issue, and that issue is resource management. Alacrity speeds up attacks, which leads one to believe "more attacks per second = more damage per second". However, more attacks per second also means faster resource depletion. To balance this, BW added resource regen to the alacrity stat along with it's other changes. This is why it is useless to warriors. Energy/Force/Heat all regen over time, Rage does not. As warriors, we can only generate rage using specific abilities with set CDs. Alacrity does not lower these cooldowns. So what alacrity allows a warrior to do is spend rage faster but not generate it any faster. This is bad. Think of it this way; as a warrior, I can only generate "X" rage per second. I spend this rage to do dmg. If I spend the rage faster I must fill the spaces when I run out of it with low dmg or non rage fueled attacks. While technically this would be a slight increase to dps (I can fit a few regular attacks more after my rotation!) alacrity is not free. Its not worth the trade off of surge/ACC. Plus, any regular attacks (assault) in your rotation should be avoided at all costs anyway.

Well said!

dont forget, we had one skill on gcd to generate rage

and, thats my thinking, marauders have the best "energy-reg", than other classes: themselv

we dont have to wait, we can spam until bar is full, and again, and again, we cant go empty

and when we have a 1 or 2 mods with alacrity moddet, we had a lower gcd

lower gcd=more dmg, but only when the other second-stats are allright! (hit, crit (only strength augments), surge and a lot of power)

lower gcd=more dmg, but only when the other second-stats are allright! (hit, crit (only strength augments), surge and a lot of power)

of course, lower gcd =more dmg

But only if you have 30% and you can reduce the GCD to ~1s-1.1s.

With that little that you have on the equip you can not reduce the GCD efficient

Here is the formula

Alacrity Percentage = 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( AlacrityRating / 55 ) / 1.25 ) ) )

For example you have 300 Alacrity Rating ---> 4.125% Reduce of the GCD

That 4.125% means --> 0.061s

GCD without Alacrity 1.5

GCD with Alacrity 1.438s

And now, what latency you have on your computer? :D

I'm a firm believer in Alac build, I've done the math in another thread and wont again but its strange how people have a problem with energy management when this does not affect the frequency of energy building abilties since they are sped up the same amount as the Alac effect itself.

look at your rotation sequence, see how much rage it generates and it spends over 20 full GCD. once you apply Alac reduction you'll still be generating/spending the same amount of rage with the exception of the delta (1 swing in 20 if you're close to 5%). So really with Alac you're gaining one swing in 20...and if you're telling me that your rage generation exactly matches your rage spent after 20 rounds with no rage to spare then you have a much bigger problem than energy management...you have a rotation issue. plus...that extra strike can be a rage generating strike or a none rage strike ( a free dual saber throw?).

Edited by thebad

The reality is that with alacrity being so little gain for every point spent in your stat budget, it's just not worth it. As an example, 20% alacrity would cost you 2300 alacrity rating, which is impossible to get. 5% alacrity would cost me 23% surge. It's just not worth it.

If you could get 15-20% alacrity for 400 points, then it'd make sense, but its so "pre-emptively nerfed" that it just isn't worth getting right now.

It's the exact same issue with crit. The DR curve for crit in 2.0 is just not tempting enough to want to take. 10% crit would cost me almost 700 power.

Edited by dcgregorya

ummmm do the math with your lower crit rate and you'll see that Alac is actually a better value.

Post us a parser log of an operation dummy.

condition:

• Fullbuffed + Stim
  • Your Stats (meele and force)
  • 5 Min.

This is the only way to compare something