MS jumping from 30 to 5-10k. No issues with lsp. Fix this crap pls

bladech

Unplayable game...this is happening like once every 3-4 months. For few days or week and then dissapears until next time. I know there is some routs between swtor servers and my lsp, ping plotter etc. But i never have such issues while playing wow or gw2. Why do i have it only with swtor???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unplayable game...this is happening like once every 3-4 months. For few days or week and then dissapears until next time. I know there is some routs between swtor servers and my lsp, ping plotter etc. But i never have such issues while playing wow or gw2. Why do i have it only with swtor???

https://gyazo.com/2df24267f30417fbc6e963ba6fda16f1

https://gyazo.com/95512dbc82d8fb82ea73f15790c81227

https://gyazo.com/8176075c61ee22b8411dd212a35514b1

https://gyazo.com/28f5165569344c81cb5c66af511ddf18

Because WoW and GW2 are in a different location and thereby have a different route.

so there are better routs and worse routs? And as i understand swtor has worse one (who'd be surprised though). Can i do something to fix this rout problem or just unsub and go play wow back?

Edited by bladech

so there are better routs and worse routs? And as i understand swtor has worse one (who'd be surprised though). Can i do something to fix this rout problem or just unsub and go play wow back?

It has come up on the forums a few times, i wish i could link the posts, but I can't remember where they were, hopefully, the people that gave advice on those posts are still active and have some advice. Otherwise I'd say search the forums for specific words, like , lag, fps, routes, etc, and hopefully you'll hit the one you need.

I went for a full 3-4 months where I couldn't play. Kept checking the connections and miraculously, one day, everything was fine. I'm in California and Bioware is somewhere on east coast. My trace route found something bad in Kansas but no one, TWC, Bioware, Spectrum would do anything about it. I asked and researched if there was a way to bypass that connection through Kansas but it's totally up to the internet Gods where your connection go through.

It's really frustrating, I know. I've threaten to unsubscribe over and over but they don't care about one long time players frustrations. They will only do something is say 1/2 of the U.S. can't log on.

The internet is like a highway. Simplistically, one route might take you to Virginia. Another route takes you to Texas, etc etc. And along the way, your route takes you through Ohio which has a major pile up at rush hour. Or you can think of it as McDonald's on the east end of town has a traffic jam so it's easier to get to Subway on the west end of town. A lot depends on where the servers are physically located, their networks, etc. (Yes pedants, I know it's more complicated than that but I said simplistically for a reason).

If SWTOR is in Virginia and WoW is in Texas, complaining that WoW works doesn't mean anything for SWTOR, You see? So using ping plotter you can find where the hangup is and call your ISP. You tell them where you're trying to go, where the traffic jam is and see if they can help you. They can reroute you a different path or get in touch with the area that has the problem. If they feel like it anyway.

Edited by kodrac

I went for a full 3-4 months where I couldn't play. Kept checking the connections and miraculously, one day, everything was fine. I'm in California and Bioware is somewhere on east coast. My trace route found something bad in Kansas but no one, TWC, Bioware, Spectrum would do anything about it. I asked and researched if there was a way to bypass that connection through Kansas but it's totally up to the internet Gods where your connection go through.

It's really frustrating, I know. I've threaten to unsubscribe over and over but they don't care about one long time players frustrations. They will only do something is say 1/2 of the U.S. can't log on.

Just out of curiosity but what makes you think BioWare has any control over where your ISP routes your connection through? They don't. It's not that they won't help with that problem it's that they can't. Be mad at your ISP about that issue.

You either pester your ISP to fix their **** (or get them to pester whoever's **** it is), find a better ISP or move

I live in western Canada and my connection has been pretty much flawless since launch, and odds are I'm quite a bit further from the servers

Just out of curiosity but what makes you think BioWare has any control over where your ISP routes your connection through? They don't. It's not that they won't help with that problem it's that they can't. Be mad at your ISP about that issue.

You are totally correct. Bioware has zero control over the routes people take to get to their servers. But Bioware moved their West Coast server (where I had no problems with connection) to the East Coast (where there problems started). I was just grouping them up with the internet providers in regards to not helping me solve the problem.

You either pester your ISP to fix their **** (or get them to pester whoever's **** it is), find a better ISP or move

I live in western Canada and my connection has been pretty much flawless since launch, and odds are I'm quite a bit further from the servers

Oh mr genius how will you explain that when i have this big ms in swtor my internet connection is ok? I checked it during laggs and found no issues. I even turned on swtor and wow at the same time (my pc is pretty strong and can afford that) and while wow had no issue and 30 ms at the same time swtor had ms jumps from 100-500. First 5 posts are pretty helpful now i understand a bit more about these routes and issues between lsp and swtor servers. Yet the fact i NEVER had such issues with gw2 or wow but having such problems with swtor once every 4 months means that swtor servers located in raghoul :rak_03: pit where routs to it are crap.

NOW i see why this game loosing subs. Gladly in a few days my sub ends and If this wont stop i won't reoccur it

BW has no control over the "route" your signal uses. As in the city analogy mentioned elsewhere, your home and the library have no control over the traffic jam in between.

Did you even read my post?

Did you read my to the end? I wrote "First 5 posts are pretty helpful now i understand a bit more about these routes and issues between lsp and swtor servers. " which includes those posts about routs. I just was answering to a guy blaming my lsp while my connection to the internet and speed were ok.

If i call my lsp can they changes these routs or such thing is not changeable at all? Someone mentioned about calling lsp and reporting them about fail rout but still iam not sure if they can do it

If i call my lsp can they changes these routs or such thing is not changeable at all? Someone mentioned about calling lsp and reporting them about fail rout but still iam not sure if they can do it

Depends. Your ISP's reach only goes so far. When you run ping plotter it gives you IP Addresses for the hops. Hops are like intersections along your route where it changes path. When it gets to the one (or more) that has the problem it will show multiple attempts and time out (this is the halting lag you experience in the game). You tell your ISP that IP address. If it's one of theirs they can change it. If it's not they will have to look up who it belongs to and contact them to see what their problem is, if it's an outage (example; a construction crew cut a cable in the ground), when/if it will be reconciled or if they can reroute their traffic. It also depends on how customer friendly your ISP is. They could be helpful or they could be d-bags. But it's certainly something that can be done. Some people have had to go the extra mile and figure out who the bad hops belongs to themselves and call them instead, skipping their d-bag ISP.

Edited by kodrac

Did you read my to the end? I wrote "First 5 posts are pretty helpful now i understand a bit more about these routes and issues between lsp and swtor servers. " which includes those posts about routs. I just was answering to a guy blaming my lsp while my connection to the internet and speed were ok.

So you profess to ignorance to how it all works and yet answer with a sarcastic remark? Really?

It is not necessarily your ISP (read the part of my post in parentheses). There are in fact multiple ISPs between you and the server, your ISP is just the easiest to get a hold of, and is going to be FAR better equipped to diagnose problems and notify the appropriate parties that a problem exists if they aren't the ones responsible. That is why I told you to go pester them.

And you really should read through those helpful posts again. To continue the city analogy, the internet is the city, the servers are the specific addresses. This statement "connection to the internet and speed were ok" translates to: "I got to New York quickly and without incident." All fine and good, but your journey is far from over, all depending on exactly where you are trying to go.

Think of your ISP as your trip planner (who themselves rely on other trip planners). You pay them good money to get where you want to go. They won't always get it right, but if they get it wrong too many times and aren't helpful, then it might be time to find a new trip planner

Edited by MadDutchman

I’m the first to complain when this happens, but I always test that it’s not me first. I play from Australia, so you can see I’ve a lot that can go wrong.

Have you tried using Ping Plotter to make sure there aren’t any problems between you and the server. Just because your ISP is stable, doesn’t mean all the hops are once it leaves your ISPs internal networks and enters the internet backhauls.

You also need to consider that the return paths can sometimes be different to the path you take to the server. You can find out if it’s similar and if there are problems by finding a Looking Glass Server close to the game servers (swtor doesn’t have its own looking glass, but many games do).

I know for a while I was getting similar issues to you and I started an investigation. It took many months and a lot of help and trial and error from my ISP. What we found is some of the hops coming back from the server were causing most of the problems. This is something your ISP and swtor can’t usually do anything about.

In the end, I started to use WTFast VPN.

This allows me to choose which of their servers and locations to go through. It has really opened my eyes as to how one bad route can cause these problems. Most of the time my ping is stable and I don’t get spikes. So if it happens, the first thing I do is change the routing through a different server. This often fixes the problem. It really highlights how one server or router having an issue can cause the game to spike.

Obviously, it’s not always the internet. Bioware do have their own internal issues on their network or game problems. But lately, when using WTFast, the ping is stable. The only problems have been the game’s own lag affects like ability activations.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The internet is like a highway. Simplistically, one route might take you to Virginia. Another route takes you to Texas, etc etc. And along the way, your route takes you through Ohio which has a major pile up at rush hour. Or you can think of it as McDonald's on the east end of town has a traffic jam so it's easier to get to Subway on the west end of town. A lot depends on where the servers are physically located, their networks, etc. (Yes pedants, I know it's more complicated than that but I said simplistically for a reason).

If SWTOR is in Virginia and WoW is in Texas, complaining that WoW works doesn't mean anything for SWTOR, You see? So using ping plotter you can find where the hangup is and call your ISP. You tell them where you're trying to go, where the traffic jam is and see if they can help you. They can reroute you a different path or get in touch with the area that has the problem. If they feel like it anyway.

Sadly to say this is not correct. Routing protocols give you what they call OSPF or Open Shortest Path First.This means that each router or hop you take will locate the next router with the best signal at all times.

As to this thread, I have been seeing this issue for well over 3 + months or since 5.10 was released. And BTW, west coasters see a min of 96 ms. And overall this is on SWTOR side, not ISP side. The reason for this is that if you run the tracert to SWTOR.com you will find that your first 3 to 4 hops are from your ISP and the remaining hops are the choices SWTOR used via their network routing protocols.

Come on Eric and community staff, this really needs to be addressed man. You cannot auto close our tickets stating this is your ISPs issue and tell them to fix it. You think that Xfinity, Century Link, etc....will listen to us and investigate the routing issues if you believe so, and if it is you need to call our ISP providers and work with them to mitigate this horrible lag, OR move our servers back to West Coast like they should have been in the first place! Like who was the one who came up with , well if we move all our servers to the East Coast, no one will tell the difference? Well we can tell the difference, and we demand a fix please!

Sadly to say this is not correct. Routing protocols give you what they call OSPF or Open Shortest Path First.This means that each router or hop you take will locate the next router with the best signal at all times.

(Yes pedants, I know it's more complicated than that but I said simplistically for a reason).

:rolleyes:

I always find these posts interesting. I live in the middle of the Pacific ocean in Hawaii. I get a consistent 135ms ping in SWToR it never varies. We don't even have any direct internet connection here unless its satellite. All our internet comes from California via Under Sea Cable. But even with 2,467 miles of cable between me and the source of the internet and 4,690 miles to BW's SWToR server, I still get that consistent ping of 135ms.

I highly doubt that any of the connection issues are because of something BW or their infrastructure is doing. Most problems with slow connections and high ping is local to your geographical location or your ISP.

But I know that it is always easier to complain about the game. Even if it has nothing to do with the problems your are experiencing.

Edited by denavin

I always find these posts interesting. I live in the middle of the Pacific ocean in Hawaii. I get a consistent 135ms ping in SWToR it never varies. We don't even have any direct internet connection here unless its satellite. All our internet comes from California via Under Sea Cable. But even with 2,467 miles of cable between me and the source of the internet and 4,690 miles to BW's SWToR server, I still get that consistent ping of 135ms.

I highly doubt that any of the connection issues are because of something BW or their infrastructure is doing. Most problems with slow connections and high ping is local to your geographical location or your ISP.

But I know that it is always easier to complain about the game. Even if it has nothing to do with the problems your are experiencing.

It is Bioware and their infrastructure in 80% of the times.... ;)

In my case, I have 50, 56ms and the amount of lag I get is dependent on the patches and changes they get into the game.. I had periods where ability lags were totally killing my PVP(happening only in PVP) games in recent patches then getting " fixed" somehow by other patches... ;) If it was my ISP or internet connection I would have constant problem with lag spikes and delays., but that is not the case.. it all depends on how much Bioware break their game like they did with their recent patches and CQ changes. I live in EU, and my game runs fine now.. but that could change with the next patch... ;)

Even the op never said that it happens when a new patch comes out, but every couple months out of nowhere. So patch related lag problems (which happen) are not the issue here, but routing inconsistencies. And those would never make up 80% fault on BioWare's end, even if the shifting of blame onto them seems the most obvious first step because they are the ones responsible for the game.

I too am located in europe and also play on the american servers. Quite a large distance, but still I have no problem with the ping unless it is a confirmed patching issue like the ability lag due to the conquest change, which is actually back to working as intended for me.

Same happening on Darth Malgus server, EU. My latency after last patch jumps around from 80ms to 5-6k ms. It's not ISP problem cos other games works normal, this is Bioware issue. Any "serious" gameplay (ops, pvp, harder hm fp's) is close to impossible.

Same happening on Darth Malgus server, EU. My latency after last patch jumps around from 80ms to 5-6k ms. It's not ISP problem cos other games works normal, this is Bioware issue. Any "serious" gameplay (ops, pvp, harder hm fp's) is close to impossible.

Your lack of understanding on how the Internet works and how the Internet moves data around in astounding. Simply because you do not have problems with other games is not the fault of BW. In case you do not realize it but different games are in different geographical locations and will have different routs to and from its servers. Those routs will have different ping times and data loads depending on where they go and what rout it travels (oh and the routs are not always the same, they do change). That has nothing to do with BW. Unless you can show data that confirms that BW's servers are lagging its all Internet.

Because your game plays slow is not evidence of Server Lag. Many things can make your game slow, one you mentioned is Ping... which is not under the control of BW but rather the internet, the rout it takes and the distance you are from the server. Your ISP can also be an issue. Comcast is notorious for SLOW or inconsistent connections.

Server Lag is a very different monster. It does not simply make your game slow. It freezes it completely, then you time jump when the server catches up. I have never seen a time jump with SWToR servers. I've seen slow connections, high ping, button lag, dropped packets, ect. None of which are Server Related.

Oh and real server lag would make the game play Totally Unplayable not simply "Close to Impossible". Server Lag would not be slow it would be frozen for several seconds in duration followed by a time warp, or a total disconnect from the game because you have been frozen for so long that the game will time out.

Even DC's are not always the fault of the server. Many times the Internet, your computer, router, in-home network wiring, Wi-Fi interference, cable or DSL modem or your ISP can be the cause for many of these problems leading you to think the problem may be something that it is not in reality.

But again I reiterate. That it always easier for some people to complain about the game even if it has nothing to do with the problem that your are experiencing.

Edited by denavin