UI Feedback: Character Sheet

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

One of the things you may have noticed is that with the Onslaught expansion we are making a number of UI improvements. Some of these are improvements on existing systems, others are completely new interfaces for new systems. Reminder that all of this is still a work in progress so don't focus your feedback too much on visual fidelity and focus on functionality. Also, please avoid gameplay feedback as we are really seeking thoughts about the interface only in this thread.

Please share your feedback on the character sheet. The types of feedback we are looking for:

• Do you know where everything is located (in relation to the previous character sheet)
  • Do you understand your stats display?
  • Is there anything you feel is missing, or not needed?

Those are just some examples, share any thoughts you have!

Thanks.

-eric

I understand the stat text information, but the font and print size is smaller and more difficult to see. It needs to be the same size and font type as the live game (or even slightly larger for us visually challenged people). Anything smaller causes eye strain (on 24” monitors).

It’s also not as intuitive. It took me a bit of searching to find the character customisation panel to show darkside, head toggle and match colours.

It doesn’t show the set bonuses (for old Armor, I haven’t checked the new).

Cartel market gear is also weird. In live you could see what parts of the set you had collected and it would be highlighted. But the new version just has an outline symbol for each piece and doesn’t seem to indicate wether you’ve collected the other pieces or even have them equiped.

The description bar at the top of each mouse over point also seems to large and “square”.

Please increase the font size of the stats text and use the same font type as the live game. The PTS version is too hard to see,

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I can't find a "Customize Appearance" spot for companions to let me toggle helmets and unify colors.

I'm also trying to find the toggle that lets me choose between specs for my loot. I know it exists, but darned if I can find it.

I second these two issues.

Also, is there a tab for the spaceship? I don't remember.

I understand the stat text information, but the font and print size is smaller and more difficult to see. It needs to be the same size and font type as the live game (or even slightly larger for us visually challenged people). Anything smaller causes eye strain (on 24” monitors).

It’s also not as intuitive. It took me a bit of searching to find the character customisation panel to show darkside, head toggle and match colours.

(...)

Please increase the font size of the stats text and use the same font type as the live game. The PTS version is too hard to see,

I also second all of this. While the window itself looks tidy, it's all way too small. Please make things bigger.

Generally, I wonder again what was so bad about the current window that you thought you have to completely revamp it. Seems like the resources could have been spend on... maybe more new content instead? I don't recall anyone complaining about the character sheet window.

Generally, I wonder again what was so bad about the current window that you thought you have to completely revamp it. Seems like the resources could have been spend on... maybe more new content instead? I don't recall anyone complaining about the character sheet window.

I guess they wanted to revamp since they're adding a new item type to the interface.

Edited by FlameYOL

Some feedback regarding the new Character display:

Do you know where everything is located (in relation to the previous character sheet) Yes, no issues here.

Do you understand your stats display? Yes, except Amplifiers do not seem to show up. For example, my Merc currently has +55 Presence but there is nothing on the character sheet itself that indicates this - if I hover on the Presence stat and look at the bonus the Amp bonus is not reflected here. I suspect this will be true for multiple types of Amps.

Is there anything you feel is missing, or not needed? Technically, no. But here are some wish list items:

I would prefer if Amplifiers were on their own tab and actually had some sort features (sort by type, by gear, by amount, etc).

I would prefer if there was some way to see a total for the Amplifiers - i.e if I have a total of 8% lifesteal, I would like to be able to see that somewhere on the character sheet and/or Amplifier window. Maybe instead of Ranged/Tech/Defense dropboxes maybe add something like Offensive Amps, Defensive Amps, Crafting Amps, General AMPs, etc to list the totals of the Amps the character currently has.

I would like to have the character sheet have some edit features in the UI editor - the ability to size the window to my liking, the ability to change the font size, and the ability to enable/disable tabs (i.e. I never us the Ship tab so I'd rather just disable it and have it disappear and/or replace it with an Amps tab).

Of all these, the most important would be the ability to size the text (and in general I would like this ability for a variety of UI elements).

Thanks for listening!

Hey folks,

One of the things you may have noticed is that with the Onslaught expansion we are making a number of UI improvements. Some of these are improvements on existing systems, others are completely new interfaces for new systems. Reminder that all of this is still a work in progress so don't focus your feedback too much on visual fidelity and focus on functionality. Also, please avoid gameplay feedback as we are really seeking thoughts about the interface only in this thread.

Please share your feedback on the character sheet. The types of feedback we are looking for:

• Do you know where everything is located (in relation to the previous character sheet)
  • Do you understand your stats display?
  • Is there anything you feel is missing, or not needed?

Those are just some examples, share any thoughts you have!

Thanks.

-eric

In broad terms, I like the overall feel of it, and also like it because doesn't flicker or produce artifacts when I have my nVidia card pushed up to 12x Combined anti-aliasing.

As far as picking the character sheet over for details, and this may be more gear-related than character-sheet related, not all stats are showing up, as a friend pointed out to me.

I'm also over 50, and it'd be nice if the entire character sheet could be just a bit bigger with slightly bigger gear icons. I achieve that right now by leaning closer and looking through the stronger portion of my multi-focals.

I also don't see any reason why the DvL indicator's mouse-over effect (the transluscent curve to the left of it) needs to be a mouse-over. I don't see why that can't be there all the time, unless there's a click-through issue with the Amplifiers button since the mouse-over displays over the right side of that button. You could make the right side of that button line up with the right side of the stats, making the Amplifiers butto that much narrower. The button's label will still fit.

I also realize some graphic interface designer thought it would look good if "Renown rank" and "Item Rating" were precisely the same width, but this comes at the cost of text size. I would go for a more lop-sided combination if the "Renown Rank" label's font size was as large as "Item Rating"

Nice-to-haves at the top:

Rather than just saying "Jedi Sage" have the full class: Jedi Consular Balance Sage

All of my UI feed back (on the look of it) is going to have one aspect the same. The way it looks,

Please make all the UI match the old style of windows or make the old style match the new UI windows.

At the moment they are so different, it feels extremely unprofessional and amateurish like I’m running multiple third party addons, like you would in games like World or Warcraft.

I know you guys are better than this. Please don’t release it live or you will get bad feed back from players and I dare say from industry reviewers in the gaming media. You don’t want it to be come a meme like Anthem’s disjointed systems.

Everything's clear but... the gear's icons looks smaller ? :confused: Especially inside the Outfit Designer. The whole Outfit Designer's window looks like it's 2x smaller compared to the one on the live servers.

Yes, this is a major hurdle for some of us older folks or people with eye strain to see. It needs to be bigger.

Could we get a summary of the active/current set bonus on the character screen?

Maybe replace one the two Pull down windows at the bottom. I've never really found any value to having this duplicated; I'm usually only looking at one box/pulldown anyway.

Another option would be to add a "SET BONUSES" to the list of pull down options

I’m not sure I am seeing much of a benefit in removing the orange frame from all modable gear. I like that the frame changes color based on the mods within, but I also feel that it’s now much more difficult to tell if something is modable at a glance. Basically, the color frame change is useful when you’re looting modable gear, but not when you are buying modable gear without mods.

I think a good solution to this problem is not just make MTX/CM gear orange-framed, but also reputation gear.

Also, could the Bind to Legacy “Shield” icon be returned to gear icons? I’m not sure why that very helpful detail was removed.