Sith Marauder Feedback

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

If you are looking to get started on PTS, please check the Welcome to Phase 1 post, here. Please use this thread to share your thoughts on the Marauder tactical items and set bonuses after getting your hands on them on PTS.

Be sure to be as specific as possible in your feedback!

-eric

As i posted on PTS Known issues, i needed to update the fact that 2 out of my 2 made Marauders cannot access the NPC which gives out gear. The blue screen that comes up is a blank.

Updated: Also cant't access the General Set NPC on Odessen for my Marauders as well.

Edited by MandFlurry

As i posted on PTS Known issues, i needed to update the fact that 2 out of my 2 made Marauders cannot access the NPC which gives out gear. The blue screen that comes up is a blank.

Updated: Also cant't access the General Set NPC on Odessen for my Marauders as well.

I had to change the selector to "all" at the top (instead of any specific spec) and then the list showed up. Seems that a common problem among some of the vendors.

I only tested a bit, here's some things I noticed:

Rabid Furor (Furious Focus?) doesn't reset to all charges between arena rounds. Since everything else always does, I suspect this is a bug?

I found that my mara abilities, while they seem to be respecting their cooldowns correctly, they don't always SHOW that they are on cooldown correctly. It's not uncommon for something to light-up like it's active, but in fact I had just used it, so there's no way it is. And I can confirm this by hitting the keybind for it over and over, and it won't actually activate until it's appropriate cooldown time has passed. I could get this to happen, for example, with raging burst on a test dummy after just a few rotations. (This is probably a general problem, but I only tested mara so far.)

A secondary thing I noticed about ability cooldowns... I used to be able to hover over them, and the tooltip would display the time left, and count down while I hovered. Now it displays the time left, but it's stuck on that time until I move off of it, and then back on again - at which point it's update with the correct new time - it just doesn't update until you make the whole tooltip re-show. It does this 100% of the time. In combat or out.

Something else I noticed, I don't know if it's intentional or not, but you can put tactical items in your quickbar, and then swap them out with a keybind (or by clicking). This kinda gives the ability to use multiple tacticals... say, I could slot the one that makes predation finish the cooldown on force camo, and slot another one that gives bleeds on furious strike (or whatever). Then I can have the damage boost one in for most of the pvp round, and with just a couple extra key taps I can reset camo using predation, and then back to the damage boost one? I guess we could do it even without the quickbars, but at least we'd have to open up the inventory sheet. Hmm, I tested this further, and it doesn't work while in combat, so perhaps this isn't a problem.

I had to change the selector to "all" at the top (instead of any specific spec) and then the list showed up. Seems that a common problem among some of the vendors.

I actually had that on All, as well as as the other 2 options of only having what i can use, etc. I also tried the General Gear NPC there on Odessen as well.

As for Marauders needing a better AOE option, i strongly agree with that, because so many other classes are being used with better AOE's, and need to be competitive with other Classes. We need a good Tactical AOE.

The Culling Blade - Using Dual Saber Throw with Furious Focus grants Dispatcher, finishing the cooldown of Force Charge and making your next Vicious Throw usable on any target.

I like this A LOT. But I would like it even more if the effect was also granted by using ravage, similar to the current mara autocrit. So: "Using Ravage or Dual Saber Throw with Furious Focus grants Dispatcher, ..."

The Carnage Tacticals are very cool. Good choices.

I have to test Anni and Fury Tacticals more to give feedback on that, but from what I have seen for Anni, I like

Vicious Saber - Vicious Slash refreshes the duration of your Rupture's bleed effects. Very good one.

Until next time

From both pvp and pve perspective set bonus for increased damage of mad dash while in camouflage is utterly useless. No one will reveal himself from camouflage for this. Mad dash isbt a great dps ability. From pvp perspective only reset on camouflage is useful. All other tactical items are underwhelming and mostly useless. Especially gaining rage while in force camouflage since this is an escape ability.

From both pvp and pve perspective set bonus for increased damage of mad dash while in camouflage is utterly useless. No one will reveal himself from camouflage for this. Mad dash isbt a great dps ability. From pvp perspective only reset on camouflage is useful. All other tactical items are underwhelming and mostly useless. Especially gaining rage while in force camouflage since this is an escape ability.

The reset on force camo is a stupidly overpowered tactical. The cooldown for force camo should be doubled from 45 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds, then it might be a balanced ability. Being able to lower it to 30 seconds just makes maras even stronger in ranked, where they are already the second best class.

Your whining about a class that is already nearly the best, and will only get better come 6.0, is ridiculous.

The reset on force camo is a stupidly overpowered tactical. The cooldown for force camo should be doubled from 45 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds, then it might be a balanced ability. Being able to lower it to 30 seconds just makes maras even stronger in ranked, where they are already the second best class.

Your whining about a class that is already nearly the best, and will only get better come 6.0, is ridiculous.

Once again you are writing baseless and unfounded statements and proving you are not familiar with ranked pvp in swtor. Just reread my statements which were written in marauder set bonus and tacticals discussion about marauder role, abilities and disadvantages of camouflage abilities, and sorcerer survivability and support abilities.

Once again you are writing baseless and unfounded statements and proving you are not familiar with ranked pvp in swtor. Just reread my statements which were written in marauder set bonus and tacticals discussion about marauder role, abilities and disadvantages of camouflage abilities, and sorcerer survivability and support abilities.

Your statements in those threads were nonsensical and thoroughly shown to be wrong by myself and multiple others. You're just a deluded mara main that wintrades for titles. Your feedback should be read with those facts firmly in mind.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Hello Eric & Devs,

While on the PTS I did not see Unstable Focus tactical in the vendor for carnage:

Unstable Focus – Using Devastating Blast with Furious Focus causes Devastating Blast to explode, dealing damage to all targets in the area.

Hello Devs,

I feel the Mara class is lacking in damage output compare to other classes like the Lightning Sorc's. Mara need more stronger AOE/Single Target tactical added into the vendor for all three specs which can be compare to the damage output of the Sorc's. I have tested most of the tactical in the vendor for Anni Mara and they are pretty useless I'm assuming the other spec will be the same once the UI bug is fixed.

Mara Class is a pure DPS class they should be the ones giving out the damage not lightning sorc's with there 17k dps.

Anni Mara:

They need stronger heals, dot damage needs to be buffed.

Carnage:

Update the tactical most of them break the classic way how carnage works. Also haven't fully tested because of the UI bug.

Fury:

haven't fully tested due to UI Bug.

Hello Devs,

I feel the Mara class is lacking in damage output compare to other classes like the Lightning Sorc's. Mara need more stronger AOE/Single Target tactical added into the vendor for all three specs which can be compare to the damage output of the Sorc's. I have tested most of the tactical in the vendor for Anni Mara and they are pretty useless I'm assuming the other spec will be the same once the UI bug is fixed.

Mara Class is a pure DPS class they should be the ones giving out the damage not lightning sorc's with there 17k dps.

Anni Mara:

They need stronger heals, dot damage needs to be buffed.

Carnage:

Update the tactical most of them break the classic way how carnage works. Also haven't fully tested because of the UI bug.

Fury:

haven't fully tested due to UI Bug.

You may not know your rotation if you think Marauder is lacking in DMG output.

I'm giving my feedback and yes I know the class very well and I do on avg over 5k to 8k dps in PVP.

How is that lacking in damage? Fury and Carnage nuke everything in this game if you do it right.

There is no way you pull 5k-8k DPS on average if you think mara’s damage is underwhelming.

How is that lacking in damage? Fury and Carnage nuke everything in this game if you do it right.

There is no way you pull 5k-8k DPS on average if you think mara’s damage is underwhelming.

He says that he can't test when abilities are not showing cooldowns, that's it.

To be clear, I don't do PvP so this is strictly related to PvE, some of the criticism might be unwarranted. With that in mind, here's my carnage feedback.

- Darth Annedu's tactical is seriously underperforming. Trading the activated Ferocity for a permanent 50% armor pen on someisn't really a good trade-off in practice. With the DST-proccing-VT set bonus and some tweaks to the rotation it looks like it might be fun to play, but the damage output just doesn't keep up.

-Hyper tactical isn't really useful since there's no situation where you're gonna use Massacre more than twice, consecutively. Some tweaks might make it interesting.

-Gore applying a bleed effect while under furious focus is ok.

-The devastating blast one is bad in the current PTS format, but I imagine with the class buffs and legacy bonuses it could be good.

-Smashacre seems like a very useful situational tactical, but without any proper testing conditions, can't say if it's ridiculously OP, underwhelming or just right.

That's the ones I played around with.

I've only toyed around with 2 set bonuses extensively(-ish), the Rabid Furor 5% chance one and the DST giving a free VT one.

-Rabid Furor seems nice, as soon as I get used to having a new offGCD ability to keep an eye on.

-The other one is good, can be integrated nicely in the rotation.

-I can't for the life of me figure out the reason behind buffing Mad Dash's damage. I'd suggest, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and trying to turn Mad Dash into an offensive ability, you lean into what it's currently being used as: a really useful defensive and mobility tool and improve those aspects.

Didn't have much time to tinker with Fury, but it looks like not much has changed with it, so...cool, I guess?

To be clear, I don't do PvP so this is strictly related to PvE, some of the criticism might be unwarranted. With that in mind, here's my carnage feedback.

- Darth Annedu's tactical is seriously underperforming. Trading the activated Ferocity for a permanent 50% armor pen on someisn't really a good trade-off in practice. With the DST-proccing-VT set bonus and some tweaks to the rotation it looks like it might be fun to play, but the damage output just doesn't keep up.

-Hyper tactical isn't really useful since there's no situation where you're gonna use Massacre more than twice, consecutively. Some tweaks might make it interesting.

I haven't been able to do any real testing on these yet because the cooldown text bug really messes with these but for the 50% ferocity one, that significantly changes the rotation to where the overall damage output might end up higher than normal. Pretty much hit everything on cooldown and make sure to have the rage to do so. Being able to use ravage, DB, and Gore so much more frequently I think will make up for the lack of extra armor pen.

For the massacre tactical, I've got an idea for a new rotation that I'll work on once I can effectively test it that would allow for the use of several massacres in a row. With all the extra rage and fury that this tactical will provide, there could be some interesting rotation possibilities.

I haven't been able to do any real testing on these yet because the cooldown text bug really messes with these but for the 50% ferocity one, that significantly changes the rotation to where the overall damage output might end up higher than normal. Pretty much hit everything on cooldown and make sure to have the rage to do so. Being able to use ravage, DB, and Gore so much more frequently I think will make up for the lack of extra armor pen.

Yeah, that bug was annoying, thankfully I only seem to get it for the ferocity(and obliterate when using Fury) ability, which made testing the 50% permanent armor penetration thing relatively easy. It doesn't keep up with the rest of the spec, even with adjustments. That was my point. Ravage hits like a wet noodle and DB and Gore, even used more often(it's not that huge an increase, btw) don't even come close to the damage output under 100% ferocity. The only saving grace is the Vicious Throw procs(with the appropriate set bonus), especially in the execute phase, where you can cram 3-4 of them in a very short window.

That being said, it might perform better on a lower alacrity threshold with a tonne more crit built up. Haven't had a chance to try that yet, it'll probably have to wait until phase 1.5

Look forward to seeing what you can do with the Hyper TAC build. Be sure to share :)

Edited by Syroe

Yeah, that bug was annoying, thankfully I only seem to get it for the ferocity(and obliterate when using Fury) ability, which made testing the 50% permanent armor penetration thing relatively easy. It doesn't keep up with the rest of the spec, even with adjustments. That was my point. Ravage hits like a wet noodle and DB and Gore, even used more often(it's not that huge an increase, btw) don't even come close to the damage output under 100% ferocity. The only saving grace is the Vicious Throw procs(with the appropriate set bonus), especially in the execute phase, where you can cram 3-4 of them in a very short window.

That being said, it might perform better on a lower alacrity threshold with a tonne more crit built up. Haven't had a chance to try that yet, it'll probably have to wait until phase 1.5

Look forward to seeing what you can do with the Hyper TAC build. Be sure to share :)

Yeah I believe it, considering most of the damage for regular carnage is super bunched up in ferocity windows. I just haven't been able to try it personally.

I'll definitely share what I'm able to come up with for Hyper. It might take a couple weeks of testing since the preliminary rotation I have in my head is janky af. It might not even work how I want it to but I'll keep trying everything I can to make it work.

I tested combat marauder, and have some things I’d like to share and ask:

Set Bonuses:

Entertainers Set - I would like to see a visible BUFF on players affected by this when a regen is used (like the players are “Entertained”. I would also like to know how much bonus, and if it’s everyone around or just your group/op members that benefit from it. Also, is it something you can use, buff yourself and others, and then put on your other gear and go fight, keeping the “Entertained” buff for 1 Hour (kind of like Wow)?

Stationary Grit - I liked this set, was interesting, more useful for PvE no doubt. But still is a bit of a balance between knowing the fights and when it’s ok to sit still and when to move (and most fights do feature a lot of movement, so might end up not being the best option unless you’re comfortable swapping out sets for different bosses).

Stimulated - A neat idea here, boosting the mastery whenever a stim is active (makes a Mastery Stim more enticing, too). In practice, it seemed to do pretty well, might jive pretty well with “Greased Lightning”. If you’re standing still, Stationary Grit is more powerful and gives a better bonus, however.

Berserker - This seemed by far the most powerful set in testing. Gives a large bonus to power (25%). But it does come at a high cost (loose 50% armor). On dummy testing it was the best set to use regarding damage. I want to try it out in Ops, to see how detrimental the lack of armor is to survivability and to the team in general. I love doing damage, but I’m not useful if I die every 5 seconds, so I want to see how this does in the “real world”.

Perfect Form (Marauder set) - This is a neat idea, but not able to test on dummy. You have to have adds to kill to get and keep the bonus, so I didn’t get to test it. I’d like to go into ops and see how it does on some add-heavy fights. But again, this seems like a limited-use kind of set (hopefully it’s powerful enough to justify swapping out for certain bosses).

Descent of the Fearless (Mara set) - This set does help “proc” Rabid Fury more often, but I wasn’t nearly as impressed with the set as I was with “Berserker”. It seemed to do less damage overall compared to “Berserker”. However it did seem to do more damage than the other sets, simply due to using Rabid more often. Good second choice if Berserker ends up being detrimental to HM and NIM Ops.

------------------

Now on to the Tactical Items. I tested these on Stationary Grit set, Berserker set, and Descent of the Fearless set. My results combine all those testings:

Greased Lightning - I like this Tactical a lot. Increase damage every time you hit something. Takes 5 hits seconds for all 5 stacks to build, but it’s wonderful after that. Wouldn’t be great for fights with lots of downtime, unless using a dot spec. Then it’s even more useful, because you are still damaging and getting boosted. For dummy parsing this is very powerful.

Rolling Boil - Increase Mastery 5% when relic triggers. With my current rotation relics tend to trigger right at the beginning and right before my large bursts, so this works really well for burst (for me). Rolling is useful for a larger burst, however it seemed to do less damage overall than Greased Lightning, which was giving a damage boost pretty much all the time. On dummy parsing, it was good, but not best.

Bloody Focus (Carnage Mara) - Lane/Gore does a bleed every time it’s used with Rabid Fury (Rabid Fury is the new ability, 4 stacks to start, and once all used they rebuild 1 stack every 30 seconds. It increases damage by 25% for a melee ability, 1 ability per stack, so 4 stacks boost 4 hits.) The Bloody Focus is interesting, and does boost the overall damage simply due to the bleed/dot ticking. Seemed to be one of the better choices for Carnage on dummy parsing.

Unstable Focus (Carnage Mara) - This Tactical allows Devastating Blast to benefit from Rabid Fury. Since Dev Blast is considered a “Force” ability and not a “Melee”, it normally does not benefit from this extra 25% boost. So this Tactical increases the burst damage a LOT. Another useful one for Carnage.

Andeddu’s Malevolence (Carnage Mara) - This Tactical make Ferocity always active. It will actually grey out the Ferocity ability and you will not be able to click it. However, it only gives 50% armor penetration, instead of 100%. Seeing that Ferocity currently only works for specific abilities anyway (Dev Blast, Gore, etc), this is kind of a terrible Tactical the more I think about it. On dummy testing, I was not impressed with it at all, and seemed to be a DPS decrease (so much so that I stopped after 1 test, because clearly there were better choices). Is this Tactical supposed to make EVERY ability 50% penetrate, or just the few big ones? Is it working properly? Can the description be updated to be more clear, please?

Fanged God Form (Carnage Mara) - This Tactical increases the crit chance when you use Massacre, stacks 3 times, but cancels if you use any ability other than Massacre. So...upon testing it was rather lackluster, because using Massacre as your entire rotation is a bad idea, and Dev Blast already is an auto crit following the correct rotation, so it’s an overall pointless Tactical. Since there were better items to test, I only tested this a couple times before it went into my “nah” pile.

-------------------

TLDR: Devs:

1) Can you explain Entertainer Set more please???

2) Can you explain Andeddu’s Malevolence and update the description more please??

TLDR:

Best sets for PvE: Berserker, Stationary Grit, Descent of the Fearless (Mara set)

Best Tacticals for PvE: Greased Lightning, Bloody Focus (Carnage), Unstable Focus (Carnage)