Best Solo class for playing?

Alucardmai

Hi All

Just new to game, so looking for some help from experienced players.

1st thing I know this is an MMORPG bur for the moment I am treating the game a little like KOTOR 3, I just want to play the story and level to 50 for my first Char solo.

I know that some missions will involve taking on Elites and Champions so looking for a class that can handles these types of Mobs.

As for side, no real debate Good or Dark, at the moment either is fine, as for class well I do like lightsabers but if one of the other classes are suited better for a first solo class then by all means please suggest.

Cheers

Dj

Personally I think the Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin is a great choice, particularly in tank spec. They do the highest damage of any tank, great survival, and get a healing companion early on. (True for Shadow, don't know about Assassin). This makes them very hardy.

They also have stealth, making it easy to avoid trash you don't want to fight. However, these things combined could potentially make you too lazy to finish up your quests and leave you below average level for the content you're doing.

Honnestly play whatever you want, with the companion system you can always have a healer/tank/dps to assist you.

But I have to say that the earlier you have your healer, the better for soloing.

Bounty Hunter gets Mako, a healer, first. Then comes the Trooper on Taris, and the Sith Warrior on Balmorra. Then you have the Consular on Nar Shaadda. Then you have the JKnight on Balmorra and the IAgent on Taris and Finally you have the Sorcerer and the Smuggler on Hoth.

Or, if you count your droid C2N2 or 2VR8 as healer (which you can) you will have them on your ship.

Almost all of them except Elara Dorne have Cunning as their primary stats, Dorne is better off with Aim, like the 2 droids.

So in the end, pick whatever you want. You cannot choose wrongly. And by the way, Welcome to the game!

Being able to heal your companion while they do the killing makes the tough fights pretty easy even if you're not a great MMORPG player.

I'd recommend making a consular and then choosing the Sage advanced class when you get to the fleet station. You get a light saber and the ability to heal your companion while they fight for you.

There really is no "best" class. In terms of gameplay, they're all pretty balanced, and with the companion system you can always bring along someone who complements your class choice.

The big difference is in terms of story. If you were looking for KOTOR3, I would suggest the Jedi Knight, since that class has (probably) the most important plotline of all the classes. (That doesn't make the other plots bad, however, but if you're here for the most important story in terms of Star Wars canon, the Jedi Knight seems to be the winner).

Hi All

Thanks for the replies, currently leveling a Jedi Consulor at the moment, although I really cant get any enjoyment from this game. Maybe I am playing on the wrong server but I only have a choice of 3 English european servers (playing on the PvE one). I am in the starter zone which is completly mobbed, there seems to be groups of russians just going around stomping on anything that moves and chat is barley english at the moment. The only time the game is slightly bareable is when I am in my own Story instance.

Now yes I know this is an MMORPG so there will be lots of players but didnt expect to be constantly fighting for scraps with these roaming squads of players killing everything in sight. I am hoping this is just short term unitl the free to play bug wears off. Anyone else having issues like this or have I just started playing the game at a bad time?

Cheers

Dj

It sounds like a first week free to play problem to me. Probably a bunch of people trying to level up so they can farm gold and sell it. I'd say work to get off your starter planet and I bet alot of the problems go away. The starter planets are much much smaller than all the rest.

What you're describing isn't anything I've seen in the game and I've leveled 6 characters and been playing since the game launched.

Even with these new type of players, I bet things will spread out significantly once you get to coruscant (2nd planet), and definitely by the time you get to taris (3rd planet). The game is huge, so give it a chance beyond just the starter planet.

Things are much less crowded after the starter planet. Also if you look in the lower right of the map screen you can see multiple instances of the planet when they reach a set size. Sometimes you can transfer to a lower population instance that isn't at max capacity.

Hi All

Just new to game, so looking for some help from experienced players.

1st thing I know this is an MMORPG bur for the moment I am treating the game a little like KOTOR 3, I just want to play the story and level to 50 for my first Char solo.

I know that some missions will involve taking on Elites and Champions so looking for a class that can handles these types of Mobs.

As for side, no real debate Good or Dark, at the moment either is fine, as for class well I do like lightsabers but if one of the other classes are suited better for a first solo class then by all means please suggest.

Cheers

Dj

I have played every class with the exception of the Imperial Agent, and I an say that there is no best class for solo play. Every class was designed so that you can play any of them solo, or with a group. What it really comes down to is your preference and play style.

While a shadow tank really is the best tank for soloing and can survive anything while doing decent damage, he has crap AoE until 40 when it gets ok, but not great. While arguably not worth much in the endgame, good AoE will speed up your leveling process dramatically. The shadow is actually quite a late bloomer in other regards too, and that's the primary reason why I wouldn't recommend it as a first character.

Instead, I'd go for a trooper commando as my first pick and a consular sage as my second. Both have excellent AoE capabilities and can heal themselves and their companions, but the commando blooms much earlier - as soon as lvl 10 in fact, when you get a nice spammable AoE in addition to the very high damaging but on a longish cooldown one which you get even earlier. A sage, on the other hand, gets his first AoE at lvl 20 and his second at 34. However, I think they're a bit stronger than the commando's.

Another benefit for the commando is that you can pick armormech as your crafting skill and have up to date armor for yourself and all of your companions except one, as they use the same armor that you do. And since you have some heals too, you're not as dependent on medpacks like other classes so biochem is not a highly attractive crafting skill as it normally is (this also goes for the sage).

Edited by Exx-

Bounty Hunter, Trooper or Warrior

BH, Trooper and Warrior get the healing companion early on. I grind MOBs without having to rest/heal & solo-kill double-gold Champion NPCs.

-heavy armor

-healing companion (Mako, Elara or Quinn)

-damage spec

Edited by MorgonKara

No class is really easier to solo with than others. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, and the game isn't overly difficult.

If "KOTOR III" is really what you're looking for, I would suggest reading the Revan book play the Jedi Knight story. It's the closest thing you're going to get. Both the book and the JK story were written by Drew Karpyshyn who wrote KOTOR I.

If you just want to level, every class works fine. If you want to solo Heroic 4 Missions or Flashpoints you need a Tank Class w/ Healer Companion or vice versa.

In my opinion the strongest solo class is the Medicine Operative. Companion Healers dont cut it in tough fights, but you as a healer can keep a geared Kaliyo alive all day long. This combined with stealth, a great amount of CC and the ability to deal damage while your HoTs are rolling is stronger than any Healer/Tank Combo out there.

Most healers dont have the time to deal damage while keeping the companion alive in tough fights, but the Operatives healing style suits that just fine.

If you just want to level, every class works fine. If you want to solo Heroic 4 Missions or Flashpoints you need a Tank Class w/ Healer Companion or vice versa.

In my opinion the strongest solo class is the Medicine Operative. Companion Healers dont cut it in tough fights, but you as a healer can keep a geared Kaliyo alive all day long. This combined with stealth, a great amount of CC and the ability to deal damage while your HoTs are rolling is stronger than any Healer/Tank Combo out there.

Most healers dont have the time to deal damage while keeping the companion alive in tough fights, but the Operatives healing style suits that just fine.

If you're playing a Medicine Operative and not soloing the heroic missions, you may wish to run with a DPS companion once one is available - which is at the end of Alderaan for the Agent. Things will die a lot faster, but you will need to bear in mind that your companion will be more fragile and won't be as good at keeping enemies off you.

You can certainly complete the Heroic 2 missions without much trouble as a healing-spec Operative. Just be careful to keep an eye out for roaming enemies and also be sure to use your Sleep Dart crowd control from stealth. I found the Operative to be a very good class for when things go bad. Towards the end of the Act 1 storyline, there was a boss fight where my tanking companion bugged out and ended up stuck under the floor where I couldn't heal her. I was able to complete the fight as a healer without any serious problems.

If you don't wish to play that class, all of them are viable for levelling solo without doing any heroic missions at all. Just be sure to keep yourself and your companion geared, remembering to spend your commendations on mods for orange gear, and be sure to complete all the class, planet and bonus missions.

I would say that for a new player who is getting used to the game, you may find it easier to choose a class that can heal or that gets a healing companion early on. My first character was a Sniper and I died a few times until I got used to the playstyle. Picking up my healer on Taris helped a lot as well. Great class to play, but you need to be aware that you might suffer a few deaths early on.

It's worth considering what role you would prefer to play as. If you want to play a tank or melee DPS, the Sith Juggernaut, Sith Marauder, Powertech (Bounty Hunter) and Jedi Shadow (Consular) all get their healing companions early on, which can make things a lot smoother. If you want to play a healer, the only classes that don't get a tanking companion early on are the Bounty Hunter and Trooper - and I never had problems running with a DPS companion on my Commando. (I haven't played a Mercenary-AC Bounty Hunter, so I cannot comment on that.)

Ultimately, I would advise you to play what draws your interest. It's no good me advising you to pick, say, a Sith Sorcerer if you hate playing caster/healer types.

Hi All

Ok little update, the roaming groups of players must have only been a once of occasion as everything has settled down, the starter area is still a little crowded but its fine.. I have decided to give the Jedi Shadow a go, for a few reqasons, double bladed light saber, stealth and Force Powers, what more can you ask for, lol.

I have just gotten to Level 10, have my lightsaber and just about to leave for my next planet. I know its early on but any advice on talents and rotations for Solo Play?

Cheers

Dj

• 3 months later...

the easiest and fastest solo clases are scoundrel/operative

there are a few reasons for this

1 - companion healers are not as good as companion tanks. the healers will have a hard time keeping up a player tank vs. a champion as you level if this is not an overgeared alt. on the other hand a healing hybrid spec is viable for sage/sorc/merc/commando and companion tanks are very, very tough.

2 - cc. being able to stealth your way around and pick your fight along with being able to knock something out of comission provided it isn't a droid (you can then knock the droid out after combat starts) is incredibly handy

and lastly, of the hybrid healing setups the scoundrel/operative do it easier while maintaining resources. oftentimes just keeping a 2 stack of the hot rolling is all your tank companion needs while you destroy that champion from the rear. your tank companion will eat any aoe stuns and cc from the champion, leaving you free to cleanse and heal him up.

sadly come end game neither class holds a candle dps wise anymore thanks to heavy handed nerfing of their burst but no compensation in overall dps, and are generally relegated to healbotting to get anywhere.

the easiest and fastest solo clases are scoundrel/operative

there are a few reasons for this

1 - companion healers are not as good as companion tanks. the healers will have a hard time keeping up a player tank vs. a champion as you level if this is not an overgeared alt. on the other hand a healing hybrid spec is viable for sage/sorc/merc/commando and companion tanks are very, very tough.

2 - cc. being able to stealth your way around and pick your fight along with being able to knock something out of comission provided it isn't a droid (you can then knock the droid out after combat starts) is incredibly handy

and lastly, of the hybrid healing setups the scoundrel/operative do it easier while maintaining resources. oftentimes just keeping a 2 stack of the hot rolling is all your tank companion needs while you destroy that champion from the rear. your tank companion will eat any aoe stuns and cc from the champion, leaving you free to cleanse and heal him up.

sadly come end game neither class holds a candle dps wise anymore thanks to heavy handed nerfing of their burst but no compensation in overall dps, and are generally relegated to healbotting to get anywhere.

I COMPLETELY disagree with #1. My first character was a JK guardian tank (full defense spec) and when I got my healer companion (Doc) I became invincible. Yes, fights (and by extension quests) took longer to complete, but I had no fear of dying and never had to stop to regen my health. And due to low sever population, I was all but forced to solo that character to 50. Furthermore, on my mercenary Bounty Hunter (where the first companion is a healer), I specced DPS, and so long as I did not run head long into packs of strongs and above (using my own and my companion's CC), I was again invincible.

• 3 months later...

On the matter of picking a class to play, you just have to consider what do you think is the best way to outcome yourself improving your game play through a set of three specialities:

Tank: +Endurance -Damage (its job is to recieve all the damage for its allies, high solo survability)

Heals: +Healing -Endurance (its job is to heal allies in battle, low solo survability)

DPS: -Endurance +Damage (its job is to get the highest DPS -damage per second- outcome in battle)

As many people have already stated, there's a set of companions that are most helpful for solo gameplay, and every class have every specialized companion for that.

Personally, I enjoyed a lot Jedi Sentinel. The story is really awesome, and the melee DPS spec is a good experience that every SWTOR player should have.

Easiest class for me? Trooper - Vanguard. That was my initial character, and it was really fun playing through 55 levels with it.

I have just gotten to Level 10, have my lightsaber and just about to leave for my next planet. I know its early on but any advice on talents and rotations for Solo Play?

I recommend always being slightly ahead of the level requirements of your class missions (unless you like your games challenging). You can do flashpoints and/or PvP to get as much as 6 levels ahead (level reqs are stated in the mission log) and still get XP from the missions, and this will also make it easier to get gear along the way via drops and commendations. Also remember to keep your companion geared.

As for specs and rotations, just google it (e.g. "swtor shadow PvE"). Remember that Shadows and Assassins are mirror classes, so anything you read about one is usually transferable to the other.

Edited by MagikFingerz

I'm a terrible altaholic so I have multiple classes I'm levelling at the same time - Shadow tank, Jedi Sentinel, Sith Sorcerer DPS, Bounty Hunter DPS, Imperial Sniper, Trooper DPS, and Smuggler Gunslinger. All of them are fine to level solo in general content and I play almost exclusively solo due to IRL commitments.

The Shadow, however, is Easy Mode now I have my healing companion. She's the only one capable of soloing Heroic 2+ missions (stealth helps a lot) and is fun to play as well. If I had to pick a 'best' solo class this would be it.

For enjoyment, the Shadow, Sentinel, Sorcerer and Bounty Hunter are the most fun IMO. Sniper has a great story but being a turret is less fun gameplay wise. Smuggler and Trooper are now 'parked' as I couldn't really get into the story as much.

...The Shadow, however, is Easy Mode now I have my healing companion. She's the only one capable of soloing Heroic 2+ missions (stealth helps a lot) and is fun to play as well. If I had to pick a 'best' solo class this would be it...

The Bounty Hunter have the healer right on. things get very ease with the healer.

I have a sith assassin (shadow class) on thank role and im using the ship droid as healer :p, and must say: its quite viable. the heroic 2+ i can go with no major problem, and the heroic 4+ i can go by stealth and do most of it (except for bosses).

but i would pay ease U$40 for a healer companion expansion (like HK) for my other toons get from start.