Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I want a vanguard tank .

Zekoisop
07.14.2012 , 02:13 PM | #1
So should I re-roll a new vanguard or change my dps 50 into tank even tho I vested a lot into dPs with gear.
50 Vanguard - P5 ; 50 Powertech-Fatman , 42 Sentinel - P5, Thinking about making a Merc or Shadow. I hate healing. Give me tank or dps.

Helig
07.14.2012 , 02:14 PM | #2
Logically, would be a lot faster to gear the existing character into tank gear. Otherwise, you'd have to invest time into both, levelling *and* gearing.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

DenitharPurloin
07.14.2012 , 06:36 PM | #3
I must ask you this:

Do you plan on PvEing with your Vanguard DPS?

If yes, then switch the current one to a tank. The reason I say this is because of a flaw in the design of Vanguards as PvE DPS. No, it is not their lack of damage output...it is their lack of a threat dump.

Not an issue in many cases, but when it becomes an issue...it becomes a big issue.

Chazcon
07.14.2012 , 07:25 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DenitharPurloin View Post
I must ask you this:

Do you plan on PvEing with your Vanguard DPS?

If yes, then switch the current one to a tank. The reason I say this is because of a flaw in the design of Vanguards as PvE DPS. No, it is not their lack of damage output...it is their lack of a threat dump.

Not an issue in many cases, but when it becomes an issue...it becomes a big issue.
Agreed the threat and combat system does not support the Vanguard as a DPS character in PvE. it will become problematic. You'll pull aggro and then won't be set up to tank what you pulled, and no way out unless you have a really good pure tank with you. Your group will hate you after a few wipes.

Now PvP it's a different world an that's where a DPS Vanguard shines, and you could arguably go so far as to say a tank Vanguard in PvP is a waste, whole 'nother topic
FOR THE VITAE!
Thod says, "they really don't know what they're doing"

_gideon
07.15.2012 , 07:10 AM | #5
Assault vanguards should be guarded and their tanks should be taking advantage of taunt boosts. Peeling aggro on trash might be a bigger issue but it's trash and you have heavy armour and cryo grenades.

It's old content but assault spec really shines on a fight with lots of burst phases like Soa.