Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If only Bioware would split from EA

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If only Bioware would split from EA

kodrac
01.11.2019 , 08:17 AM | #11
We probably wouldn't have gotten the game at all. They (BW) had to turn to EA for funding. They sold their souls to the devil. And in turn, EA made changes once they owned it.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
I’d find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
or Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

SteveTheCynic
01.11.2019 , 09:51 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I just read this article that Bungie is splitting from Activision and taking Destiny with it.
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/01/bu...keeps-destiny/
You missed an important point about Bungie and Activision compared to BioWare and EA. Activision was Bungie's *publisher*. EA is BioWare's *owner*.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Khevar
01.11.2019 , 10:11 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
You use the term "cash cow" with derision as if EA should somehow be delivering the game to a needy player base as a charitable contribution.
While I cannot speak for Celise, I view the term "cash cow" in a derogatory way, as in something that will make money without having to put in effort.

We've all seen this in the gaming industry. Milk a franchise with the same formula over and over. Add a horrible grind you can bypass with money. Rely on gambling boxes. Etc.

The sad thing is that it is financially viable, and so many developers will keep doing it.

But occasionally you have developers that are passionate, creative and want to make a really fun game AND make money doing it. I feel like those developers make better games.

PorsaLindahl
01.11.2019 , 10:22 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
Actually, it was meant to be the WoW Killer from the start but that threat never materialised...
Other than seeing this remark from a few that posted on the forums and perhaps some random editorial article that was nothing but speculations and theories, I've never seen anything to suggest that TOR was supposedly to be a WoW Killer.

....Devs had to make to appease EAs insistence they make a WoW clone.
C'mon. You've been around long enough to know that that statement is pure rubbish.

Also, as Steve pointed out:
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
You missed an important point about Bungie and Activision compared to BioWare and EA. Activision was Bungie's *publisher*. EA is BioWare's *owner*.
It's a lot easier to break from a publisher than break away from an owner. Breaking from a publisher would basically be fulfillment/cancellation of a contract. Breaking away from an owner would require the subsidiary to purchase their studio, or to end their employment and start a fresh new company, leaving the product (in this case SWTOR) behind.

In an imaginary world, though, BW splitting from EA would probably be a good thing. Although I doubt it would improve their common sense any. I think they'd still make idiotic decisions.

Keta
01.11.2019 , 10:44 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I might be in the minority on this, but I actually found WAR to be one of my favorite MMOs of all time, and that was a BW game. I never knew BW from anything but WAR, I never heard of them doing great stories or anything else.

WAR was a Mythic Entertainment game. It was developed while Mythic was an independent company. Mythic and BW were both acquired by EA in short succession. Mythic was subsequently merged into BW after the last of Mythic's founders left. BW had little to do with WAR and nothing to do with its development. It was out and running before the forced mash up of the two studios.
Yes, another referral link; click it or don't. Free stuff for you, free stuff for me.

TrixxieTriss
01.11.2019 , 11:02 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
C'mon. You've been around long enough to know that that statement is pure rubbish.
Actually last year there was a very good interview with the original lead guy. He distinctly said that EA made them change direction to a WoW clone.

I didn’t just make it up. That was from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Jdast
01.11.2019 , 11:16 AM | #17
Actually last year there was a very good interview with the original lead guy. He distinctly said that EA made them change direction to a WoW clone.

I didn’t just make it up. That was from the horses mouth, so to speak.
It was and I remember that interview well. I also thought the producer was completely vague, bordering on sour grapes trying to justify money for a new project.

The problem for me was he didn't specify what he would have done differently. I recall him also saying that he wanted it be essentially "KOTOR but online" -- but what does that even mean? He talked about social hubs, but that's not an MMO.

At the end of the day MMO's have to decide the proper balance between solo, small group (flashpoints), and larger group (raid) content, along with things like strongholds, crafting, and PvP. He would have run into the exact same dilemmas as any MMO producer.

Did he think people just wanted to do solo content and then hang out on fleet shooting the breeze? If so, EA was wise to shift gears.

Maybe the guy had the most brilliant idea on how to make KOTOR online, but simply complaining that his vision wasn't fulfilled doesn't cut it for me -- I would need to know what his vision was in terms of actual implementation.

Dasty

TUXs
01.11.2019 , 11:17 AM | #18
Bioware IS EA.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

TUXs
01.11.2019 , 11:21 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
It was and I remember that interview well. I also thought the producer was completely vague, bordering on sour grapes trying to justify money for a new project.

The problem for me was he didn't specify what he would have done differently. I recall him also saying that he wanted it be essentially "KOTOR but online" -- but what does that even mean? He talked about social hubs, but that's not an MMO.

At the end of the day MMO's have to decide the proper balance between solo, small group (flashpoints), and larger group (raid) content, along with things like strongholds, crafting, and PvP. He would have run into the exact same dilemmas as any MMO producer.

Did he think people just wanted to do solo content and then hang out on fleet shooting the breeze? If so, EA was wise to shift gears.

Maybe the guy had the most brilliant idea on how to make KOTOR online, but simply complaining that his vision wasn't fulfilled doesn't cut it for me -- I would need to know what his vision was in terms of actual implementation.

Dasty
Great reply Dasty - I agree fully. I especially agree with the "sour grapes" comment as well...I thought it was a very odd interview.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

TrixxieTriss
01.11.2019 , 11:25 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Bioware IS EA.
Yes, it is now.