Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

Aurbere

So? Generals are often near the front lines however this doesn't mean generals are tactical geniuses. Again you can be a lackluster tactician as long as you know who is the tactical geniuses are and use them. Example would be Raven using the exile

Revan was telling the Exile what to do though. =/ I remember a moment in the cave on korriban in a flashback of the war that even the Exile had no idea what they were doing or something to that effect. Point is Revan was an active general, he wasn't just sitting there saying "you have a job to do now figure it out".

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Lucas disagrees with you. Mace Windu won the Lightsaber duel, shatterpoint was key to it. He saw the weaknesses in Sidious' defenses and applied his attack to break them. He also saw Sidious' trust for Anakin, which is one of the reasons he wanted to defeat Sidious quickly.

Mace Windu applied shatterpoint to beat Sidious. He didn't care what effect it had, so long as the Sith were vanquished.

Really? Sidious is alive and Mace is dead doesn't equal a win in most peoples books. Seems to me his shatterpoint failed him.

Revan was telling the Exile what to do though. =/ I remember a moment in the cave on korriban in a flashback of the war that even the Exile had no idea what they were doing or something to that effect. Point is Revan was an active general, he wasn't just sitting there saying "you have a job to do now figure it out".

He was not telling the Exile what to do, the Exile had her own half of the Republic fleet to command, which she, with no outside help led to victory on worlds like Dxun, Serroco and more.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

Aurbere, you need to stop posting about Revan. You simply can't talk about him without letting your obvious bias against his character show.

I have no problem with the idea that he hasn't mastered both sides of the force or that he doesn't use them both simultaneously. These are, quite frankly, semantic issues. I don't mind you favoring Mace Windu in a duel. I think that is certainly a logical opinion, though you took it a bit far with the hyperbole about Revan crying. But when you say he isn't a master tactician, you do so in direct conflict with what we see and hear in the games and the novels.

Canderous doesn't just say that Revan is a master tactician, he essentially credits him for single-handedly winning the war with his tactics and by besting Mandalore himself in the final battle. "Character statements aren't canon," is a cop-out. Yes, this is an opinion statement. But we have no reason not to believe that Canderous' opinion isn't valid. In fact, given that he is praising an enemy, we have every reason to believe what he says. Kreia's statements similarly portray Revan as a tactical genius as do the statements of other characters. His leadership turned around the war. Discounting that achievement by saying he used the Madalorians' tactics against them is similarly ludicrous. You make it sound as if he stole some sort of secret Madalorian playbook. All he did was make smart tactical decisions, sacrificing planets when necessary for the greater war effort. These aren't Mandalorian tactics so much as they are generally sound military planning. By any measure, Revan is a master tactician.

As for his other abilities, we know he bested Mandalore and Malak in duels. Malak was leading an entire army of Sith at the time, none of whom could best him. We are told Revan was one of the finest duelists of his era. We know he had a considerable connection to the force that not only allowed him to defeat opponents but also to redeem many of them. He redeemed Ajunta Paul's ghost, among other things. These are not the achievements of a better than average Jedi.

No, Revan is not some end-all force God like Luke Skywalker. But he is the leading Jedi of his era. He is clearly a powerful Jedi with unique and strong ability in the Force. Trying to constantly downplay him as you do comes across like you have some sort of axe to grind. You need to take a few deep breaths.

Really? Sidious is alive and Mace is dead doesn't equal a win in most peoples books. Seems to me his shatterpoint failed him.

Mace was the clear winner of the duel, but Sidious could always have killed Windu with his Force Lightning, which was more powerful than any other ever seen.

All good generals are active however it doesn't mean they are tactical geniuses. Most good leaders are Jack of all trades they know something about everything but are masters of none. However they put the masters in position to do the most good.

He was not telling the Exile what to do, the Exile had her own half of the Republic fleet to command, which she, with no outside help led to victory on worlds like Dxun, Serroco and more.

But he was. Not in every battle, but he was giving her orders just like he gave them to Malak.

All good generals are active however it doesn't mean they are tactical geniuses. Most good leaders are Jack of all trades they know something about everything but are masters of none. However they put the masters in position to do the most good.

Wait. Did I say he was a tactical genius? I don't remember saying that. I do however think he was the best of everyone there, which is why he was in command.

Edited by Airmo

Mace was the clear winner of the duel, but Sidious could always have killed Windu with his Force Lightning, which was more powerful than any other ever seen.

Who cares if he won the duel he was still dead and his death served only to help put Sidious in charge of the empire. Won a battle, lost the war. If his shatterpoint was that powerful he would of known that to confront Sidious at that time would of been really bad.

But he was. Not in every battle, but he was giving her orders just like he gave them to Malak.

He gave regular orders and picked out which places to strike at, it is made pretty clear in the campaign guide that the Exile's victories were her own, no one else's, she won those battles herself, she wasn't directed to, many of her decisions had no influence from Revan.

Honestly you guys need to read the comics and the sourcebooks, it's all made much clearer in them.

Who cares if he won the duel he was still dead and his death served only to help put Sidious in charge of the empire. Won a battle, lost the war. If his shatterpoint was that powerful he would of known that to confront Sidious at that time would of been really bad.

I don't think you understand how Shatterpoint works, it is more like very deep realisations and visions rather than something you just switch on.

Wait. Did I say he was a tactical genius? I don't remember saying that. I do however think he was the best of everything there, which is why he was in command.

I think you came in a bit late. I was talking about Revan being a good leader and not really a tactical genius that he put the geniuses in the right spots. Some folk were saying he was a tactical genius and I was countering them

He gave regular orders and picked out which places to strike at, it is made pretty clear in the campaign guide that the Exile's victories were her own, no one else's, she won those battles herself, she wasn't directed to, many of her decisions had no influence from Revan.

Honestly you guys need to read the comics and the sourcebooks, it's all made much clearer in them.

I never said her victories weren't her own. I'm just saying Revan was the one in command and when it came down to it she followed his orders.

I think you came in a bit late. I was talking about Revan being a good leader and not really a tactical genius that he put the geniuses in the right spots. Some folk were saying he was a tactical genius and I was countering them

I was here for people saying he was a tactical genius but I never said that myself and I wasn't debating with you about that so sorry for the misunderstanding. I do think he is a good leader and the best tactitian the republic had though.

Aurbere, you need to stop posting about Revan. You simply can't talk about him without letting your obvious bias against his character show.

I have no problem with the idea that he hasn't mastered both sides of the force or that he doesn't use them both simultaneously. These are, quite frankly, semantic issues. I don't mind you favoring Mace Windu in a duel. I think that is certainly a logical opinion, though you took it a bit far with the hyperbole about Revan crying. But when you say he isn't a master tactician, you do so in direct conflict with what we see and hear in the games and the novels.

Canderous doesn't just say that Revan is a master tactician, he essentially credits him for single-handedly winning the war with his tactics and by besting Mandalore himself in the final battle. "Character statements aren't canon," is a cop-out. Yes, this is an opinion statement. But we have no reason not to believe that Canderous' opinion isn't valid. In fact, given that he is praising an enemy, we have every reason to believe what he says. Kreia's statements similarly portray Revan as a tactical genius as do the statements of other characters. His leadership turned around the war. Discounting that achievement by saying he used the Madalorians' tactics against them is similarly ludicrous. You make it sound as if he stole some sort of secret Madalorian playbook. All he did was make smart tactical decisions, sacrificing planets when necessary for the greater war effort. These aren't Mandalorian tactics so much as they are generally sound military planning. By any measure, Revan is a master tactician.

As for his other abilities, we know he bested Mandalore and Malak in duels. Malak was leading an entire army of Sith at the time, none of whom could best him. We are told Revan was one of the finest duelists of his era. We know he had a considerable connection to the force that not only allowed him to defeat opponents but also to redeem many of them. He redeemed Ajunta Paul's ghost, among other things. These are not the achievements of a better than average Jedi.

No, Revan is not some end-all force God like Luke Skywalker. But he is the leading Jedi of his era. He is clearly a powerful Jedi with unique and strong ability in the Force. Trying to constantly downplay him as you do comes across like you have some sort of axe to grind. You need to take a few deep breaths.

Agree with you I do. But not that Aurbere need to stop posting about Revan, everyone needs to be allowed to express their opinion.

Edited by Wallner

I don't think you understand how Shatterpoint works, it is more like very deep realisations and visions rather than something you just switch on.

That is one aspect of it however to use it in a duel, you would have to be able to switch it on or have it on at all times. There really isn't any time to have visions and realizations in a fast pace duel. However shatterpoint is suppose to show you the weak points in a defense. If Windu's shatterpoint was as powerful as some claim then he would know that there was no good outcome and gone into exile like Yoda

I never said her victories weren't her own. I'm just saying Revan was the one in command and when it came down to it she followed his orders.

Do you understand how the commander-in-chief role works? you don't give out orders or get involved with all your generals' business, you assign targets and long term strategies and take requests from your commanders, admirals and generals, you then decide what goes where and work with them to have the bigger picture mapped out, that's the role.

Generals and commanders give out the actual orders and form most of the battle plans, which they then basically hand in like an essay and they are implemented or ignored, the only battle we know was properly planned by Revan was Malachor V and the use of the MSG, which he entrusted to the Exile to get done.

That is one aspect of it however to use it in a duel, you would have to be able to switch it on or have it on at all times. There really isn't any time to have visions and realizations in a fast pace duel. However shatterpoint is suppose to show you the weak points in a defense. If Windu's shatterpoint was as powerful as some claim then he would know that there was no good outcome and gone into exile like Yoda

Actually that's exactly what Windu had in the duel, he realised that Sidious feared him and that he trusted Anakin to save him, but he immediately had another shatterpoint where he realised that Sidious was tricking him by reflecting Anakin's fear off of himself and once he'd realised what was really going on, Anakin was in the middle of disarming him.

I believe Mace Windu saw Shatterpoints at all times. Just looking at someone would show him their weaknesses. He saw Shatterpoints in all things: people, events, even the problems of everyday life.

Windu couldn't let Sidious just take control. Something had to be done, there wasn't time to think of all the outcomes. Sidious had to be stopped and he was the only man available, and capable, of doing so.

Actually that's exactly what Windu had in the duel, he realised that Sidious feared him and that he trusted Anakin to save him, but he immediately had another shatterpoint where he realised that Sidious was tricking him by reflecting Anakin's fear off of himself and once he'd realised what was really going on, Anakin was in the middle of disarming him.

I can't believe you said that! :D

But yeah, Mace Windu saw right through Sidious. He realized that he was being played, but couldn't stop it in time.

He was, however, the victor in the duel. Evidenced by Sidious being disarmed and huddling in the corner.

Edited by Aurbere

Do you understand how the commander-in-chief role works? you don't give out orders or get involved with all your generals' business, you assign targets and long term strategies and take requests from your commanders, admirals and generals, you then decide what goes where and work with them to have the bigger picture mapped out, that's the role.

Generals and commanders give out the actual orders and form most of the battle plans, which they then basically hand in like an essay and they are implemented or ignored, the only battle we know was properly planned by Revan was Malachor V and the use of the MSG, which he entrusted to the Exile to get done.

But he wasn't the commander-in-chief and he did plan strategies. I didn't say he was watching over everything his general's did through some magic mirror and telling them what to do every step of the way. He told them where to go and such like you said but if he was there he would be giving them orders. =/

Yes that we know, so you don't know if there were others. And yes he told the Exile to tell the other guy to press the button yep. :)