MMOs with good pvp.

adenla

neverwinter has the best combat ever in mmos, pvp is still typical mmo pvp though, but atleast it has a good way of keeping the flow of battle, enemy players when executed after being downed give back good amount of hp

but still neverwinter doesnt come close to the level of quests and story this game does

swtor's pvp is just atrocious

The pvp in this game isn't too bad, in my opinion the only two things wrong with it is the overly overly ovlerly excessive CC that came with patch 1.4 and the seemingly over attention that the devs show for mele classes. if these things were fixed then I think that the pvp in this game would be awesome.

the things I would love to see added to this game are

1. a open world queable pvp match like wows wintersgrasp.

2. siege base type of wzs.

3. cross server pvp ques.

i hear wildstar has good pvp but I haven't heard much about it so I doubt it. Guild wars 2 sucks compared to swtor imo and wow is ancient and needs to be retired. Elder scrolls might be good but could also be bad too. I think this game just needs more focus on pvp, better rewards, dueling,open world rewards, more game modes or maps and some work on the classes. Edited by MarkXXIV

i hear wildstar has good pvp but I haven't heard much about it so I doubt it. Guild wars 2 sucks compared to swtor imo and wow is ancient and needs to be retired. Elder scrolls might be good but could also be bad too. I think this game just needs more focus on pvp, better rewards, dueling,open world rewards, more game modes or maps and some work on the classes.

I have heard the exact opposite from a friend in closed beta, right now. NCSoft is great at making promos, their games are fun too until they completely change it, or it gets cancelled. I miss COV, that was some fun pvp mechanics, too bad no one ever did it they were too busy roleplaying as Superman.

Edited by Freedannad

Eve. When you blow up the other guy's ship, you know that it actually costs him something. Sometimes it costs him a lot.

Yea awesome game EVE. Hardcore PvP ruleset. Most WOW generation players would vry like babies when they are killed.

But i digress

SWTOR has decent PvP. Yes it not 100% balanced but i can't think of any current MMO that is.

For all the crying about PvP in this gameI don't think any MMO currently out there is any better then SWTOR.

What SWTOR lacks is content.

We have been in pre-season for close to a year and there is no diversity in WZ like some other games.

Hutball is fresh and different though but we need more.

16 v 16 op sized WZ's. Arean's and a proper season 1 for all ranked play and cross server ques to create larger amounts of active players/teams to make match making work.

Edited by Stavroz

MMO PVP has sucked for about 12 years now, since the times people started whining about losses and the definition of pvp changed from "players killing eachother for personal gain" to "players killing eachother for bragging rights"

I miss the days when pvpers could ruin your day, then you could plot your revenge, and when you killed them, it felt like you accomplished something. And you usually gained back more than you lost in loot.

But then MMOs went soft in order to protect the exploited non-pvp players, and this reduced pvp communities, and putting together a solid group in games these days is more difficult because players are generally less committed, and society (beyond just MMOs) is very detached, and everyone has ADHD

And that's what really killed pvp. When it became a casual past time instead of a necessity in MMOs. But im old enough to remember how good things were way back lol

I miss the days when pvpers could ruin your day, then you could plot your revenge, and when you killed them, it felt like you accomplished something. And you usually gained back more than you lost in loot.

If this means that much to you, that you honestly miss it, then I genuinely feel sorry for you.

ON another note, any of you try Tera? I'm just checking that out just for a change of pace (still pvping here nightly in some capacity). Not enjoying going back to keyboard walking, but the combat style is interesting...reminds me of DDO a little bit, with a splash of GW

My main beef with TOR PvP is, believe it or not, too much survivability in ranked PvP. Maybe I'm just crazy/off though.

Problem is, if BW nerfed healing further, normals would be tragically bad.

Edited by islander

This game currently has the best mmo pvp I have found.

No game is perfect but SWTOR has the most balanced and easiest to read (ie good visual and audio ques as to ability usage) pvp of any I have played.

Like many have said, it just needs more pvp content. and OMG please another Huttball map would be awesome. Also I'm looking forward to 4v4 arena... it should fit this game really well.

What I am amazed at is GW2, I thought that game was going to be a PVP players heaven, but damn I HATE hot join pvp in that game, terrible terrible spam zerg fest of POS... and all the same map types (capture the point) and the balance is *********** terrible... Im mean really stupidly broken, TTK is shockingly low with FOTM builds/professions.

I literally cant play more than 2-3 matches of hot join in that game without wanting to throw my keyboard at the screen.

WIldstar may or may not be good, I just dont like the visual style they have gone for.. and yeah that matters to me.

In short despite the crying on the pvp forums here, SWTOR imo has the best mmo pvp atm.

PS: I hear that WOW's pvp atm has the worst balance since Vanilla/early BC >.> and they have simplified (dumbed down) the talent trees and still cant get balance right..

So grass is greener I suppose, until you get there :p

FPS games release monthly map packs and there is always new content. Swtor doesn't do that at all and next to nothing has been done pvp wise yet they ask for a subscription? Fail.

I'm not renewing my subscription and I'm ending my foray into mmos for good. If you want an actual, competitive skill-based pvp ditch mmos and get a FPS. If you enjoy ez mode pvp that's never updated have fun in tor

There are no RPG MMO's with any better PVP than SWTOR. Because there can't be balance if you have different play styles and people who understand the theory crafting enough to really min/max their characters. Balance comes from everything be equal or the same and no one will ever be happy if their tree is the one that doesn't have that awesome talent that always kills them.

That said, I'm enjoying PVP here after a long hiatus from MMO PVP. The general population doesn't seem to be as educated on the game mechanics or min/maxing, but overall the balance seems fine.

The two things I would like changed are more content, and a fix for the resolve system which doesn't seem to work at all.

There are no RPG MMO's with any better PVP than SWTOR. Because there can't be balance if you have different play styles and people who understand the theory crafting enough to really min/max their characters. Balance comes from everything be equal or the same and no one will ever be happy if their tree is the one that doesn't have that awesome talent that always kills them.

That said, I'm enjoying PVP here after a long hiatus from MMO PVP. The general population doesn't seem to be as educated on the game mechanics or min/maxing, but overall the balance seems fine.

The two things I would like changed are more content, and a fix for the resolve system which doesn't seem to work at all.

Tor lacks an elitist jerks site. It's one thing this game could really use, a site/guide where people show their math.

The thing is SWTOR combat is fun, but we haven't gotten anything new since Ancient Hypergate for PvP and we still don't have any objective/siege based open world PvP. 2.4 really has to bring it.

and I honestly doubt at this point it will...being half the patch is PvE content now, instead of...you know...being a monster pvp patch alone.

Who knows, perhaps they'll prove me wrong. I'd welcome it.

Tor lacks an elitist jerks site. It's one thing this game could really use, a site/guide where people show their math.

There use to be one, SithWarrior.com, which named changed to MMO-Mechanics, But I don't think it's been updated much recently. a few threads here and there.

also I'm looking forward to TESO pvp, I loved DAOC style pvp and from what I can tell this will be almost a carbon copy of it. Basically what Warhammer Online should have been.