My name was taken...

Lancars

Which surprises me because i have never seen ANYONE ever use the name Lancars. I chose it a long time ago as my net name and now i come back to Swtor and find out someone used it for once. People say get over it but i can't help feel a bit robbed. Like minor identity theft.

Then when i ask about it why i had to change it goes into this big thing in general and people accuse me of being someone else that had the same issue. So its starting to feel extra painful to play my character since i feel robbed and spit on.

*I had to rename my trooper Langroth a fallback name for a dwarf i used in another MMO*

Edited by Lancars

Which surprises me because i have never seen ANYONE ever use the name Lancars. I chose it a long time ago as my net name and now i come back to Swtor and find out someone used it for once. People say get over it but i can't help feel a bit robbed. Like minor identity theft.

It's not possible to "take" a name that is already is use.

Then when i ask about it why i had to change it goes into this big thing in general and people accuse me of being someone else that had the same issue. So its starting to feel extra painful to play my character since i feel robbed and spit on.

*I had to rename my trooper Langroth a fallback name for a dwarf i used in another MMO*

/yawn...welcome to the club. Learn your alt codes and be happy you got names with actual letters.

Actually if said name was OFFLINE for a period of time and never transferred then yes it's actually possible to lose the name.

Several posts in forums lately of folks coming back well after server transfers to find they don't have the same name.

It isn't identity theft and you weren't robbed. It's just a name. You do not own those particular letters in that particular order. I lost use of a name I really liked way back in the day when they let us move from dead servers to slightly less dead servers. I got over it.

That is the only option, I'm afraid. Get over it.

Actually if said name was OFFLINE for a period of time and never transferred then yes it's actually possible to lose the name.

Several posts in forums lately of folks coming back well after server transfers to find they don't have the same name.

Server transfers are another matter entirely. No matter how active the characters are, if they have the same name and wind up on the same server, someone's going to be on the short end of the stick.

When they did the server transfers some people lost their name because they transferred to a server that already had someone with their name.

BW came up with some ways to make this easier for people but there was bound to be some hurt feelings. One of the ways they did it was if they were two "Lancars" on the server the algorithm checked to see if they were both active. Since you said "came back to SWTOR" I'm guessing you were inactive so you lost the name. It think level and time played also came into account I'm not sure.

I like how half the people understand and the other half are the kind of jerks that would run into you while your standing there and tell YOU to watch where your going.

Just because someone does not agree or empathize with you does not mean they do not understand.

i didnt have a issue with legacy name. but i did with a character name. i start out khoonda milita server and moved to jc server during the free transfer period. i made a new character on jc named Saskia, asfter the forced merge. i had to rename her. never been unactive been subber since day 1.

I like how half the people understand and the other half are the kind of jerks that would run into you while your standing there and tell YOU to watch where your going.

Well, it sucks, sure.

But, what would you like us to do about it? Almost everyone has had this happen to them, at least once, in some type of online community. You don't own the name, so there is nothing you can do.

And, to be upset about it, well -- it's rather pointless. As someone already said, learn to use alt codes. I also have 5 different spellings for my "name" that sound phonetically similar or the same.

I think we actually ALL understand - we just don't feel all that sorry for you. If you're just now getting around to changing your name, you haven't even played for like 6 months. We've seen threads like yours before...Bioware didn't care, they took all of our names away and they picked the WORST possible way to merge players.

Seriously? Robbed? Identity theft? Do you seriously think your name, in R/L or here, is unique and furthermore, that you have some sort of right to it? "Lancars" is short. It's pronounceable, and it is as likely chosen by a random generator computer as a person. When you have a billion or more people all using the same alphabet, a name like that is never going to be unique. I understand your disappointment that your favorite name was taken, but not the proprietary attitude over it. It ain't exclusively yours and never was.

That's the way it is on these forums. Atleast you got *half* of the people understanding. Sometimes when you post you get nothing but empathy-less tards. :(

Who is Lancars anyhow?

My name... my REAL name, is Magnus.

I cant use that name in-game because ONE NPC has it...

In sweden that name is about as common as "Gary" is in the US...

But since one single NPC has that name in-game i cannot use it.

So please dont come here with your sobstory about not being able to use your favourite internet name. Just adapt and overcome.

My name... my REAL name, is Magnus.

I cant use that name in-game because ONE NPC has it...

In sweden that name is about as common as "Gary" is in the US...

But since one single NPC has that name in-game i cannot use it.

So please dont come here with your sobstory about not being able to use your favourite internet name. Just adapt and overcome.

That is a pretty boss name tbh. I used to watch World's Strongest Man a lot and there was one named Magnus Ver Magnusson. I always thought that you couldn't have picked a better name for a strong man.

Edited by TheBBP

I've used the same character name since 1986 playing my first computer game. Have used it for every MMO I played. You can always do what I do.....if I can't get my name, I don't play that game. Simple. Games like UO were great, because you could have more then one person with a name. Heck, on Great Lakes shard, there was a guild that had about 10 "Madonna's". That could be bad or good, depending on how you look at it, but in most situations with games like SWTOR, one of the players with a specific name end up never playing the game again, so you could still have your name and not worry about someone else running around with your name most of the time.

There's been a handful of occasions where I've installed an MMO or other games and if my name was taken, /uninstall. Simple as that.

Edited by FeLoNiouS

You will no doubt, should care to read further, note that server changes are an entirely different matter.

Wrong terminology but I'm sure most but those with a low IQ understood my point.

When the servers merged way back when, 3 of my toons on Shadowlands had to be re-named.

My actual name when I decided to re-roll on Jedi Covenant (LaRon) was strangely enough taken as well.