Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Empire/Republic ships in TOR are wrong

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Empire/Republic ships in TOR are wrong

Nireves
04.11.2012 , 02:21 AM | #1
Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place way before the Clone Wars or the Galactic Civil War.

In TOR, the Sith Empire has triangular shaped battleships in space missions and the Republic (the actual Galactic Reapublic) has Correlian class ships and ships that looks like the Rebel fleet in the Galactic Civil War.

Thousands of years later, the clone army of the Republic (same republic presumably, so the Sith Empire loses the war) uses triangular shaped ships.

Then the Emperor dissolves the senate and turns the Galactic Republic into the Galactic Empire, this empire is not the Sith Empire from TOR but it is run by Sith.

Then in the galactic civil war, the Empire uses the same triangular shaped ships that the Sith Empire did way back when and that the clones used while the Rebels use the ships that the Republic uses in TOR.

Shouldn't the Republic in TOR use the triangular shaped ships? Aren't these the battleships of the Republic in the Clone Wars and in the Galactic Civil War? Is Bioware using the lame Rebel ships just because people use the 'Republic' and 'Rebels' interchangeably?

Does Bioware realize that you can't pull the ships used by the Empire and Rebels in the Galactic Civil War straight back and use them like that because the Empire used to be the Republic?
React - Gunslinger
Ataraxia
THE Republic Ops guild of Anchorhead

Tsukae
04.11.2012 , 02:26 AM | #2
I agree with you that they need to change something. It has been bugging me in every space scene. Unless this Sith Empire eventually is victorious and influences the ship designs the later Galactic Republic make use of... I don't know.
"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." - Kreia

Bobsy
04.11.2012 , 02:36 AM | #3
Afraid you're over-thinking this. Star Wars is a fantasy rather than a solid, quantifiable history. The reason the Sith Empire has the same wedge-shaped ships as the Galactic Empire is because THEY EEEEVIL. And that's about that.

If you really want an in-universe reason for it (and you shouldn't) you could probably argue that there's some kind of latent cultural memory lingering in the residents of the Star Wars galaxy, and the moment anyone ever harbours any ideas of galactic domination they sit down with the ship designers and say "What about a wedge shape? I'm just spitballing here."

Either way, I quite like the idea of a bunch of historians around about the start of the Clone Wars going "Are you kidding me? You don't remember what happened last time we had ships like this? Seriously?"

And yes, it's illogical, but I expended all my rage over this 7 years ago in KOTOR II when the Ravager first turned up. Now I just relax and enjoy it all. It's better this way.
"Canon" is your story. Accept nothing less.

Larsjex
04.11.2012 , 02:37 AM | #4
Well, to a point, that is true.
It makes sense for the Emperor of the Rebellion era to have the same overall design on the Imperial starships, as a way to honor the Sith of old times. It's in his character, and makes sense.
Naturally, the rebellion era starships are vastly more powerful. If you look at size and equipment, no ships in ToR can hold up against a rebellion era Imperial Class Star Destroyer. Not to mention the Super SD's.

As for the republic, it's not the -same- ships they're using. Again, similar in design, but nothing alike. Mainly, the ships in Rise of the Empire (episodes I, II, III) and Rebellion Era (Episodes IV, V, VI) are made by Corellian starship factories, which are companies with a proud past. The CR90 Corvette, for example looks similar to SWTOR's Jedi Starship. The YT series of transports also bear resemblance to SWTOR's XS stock light freighter (Smuggler ship).

So overall, yeah, designs are similar but the specs of the ships changes immensely.

..and yes, btw, I am abit of a nerd ^_^

Nireves
04.11.2012 , 02:43 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Larsjex View Post
Well, to a point, that is true.
It makes sense for the Emperor of the Rebellion era to have the same overall design on the Imperial starships, as a way to honor the Sith of old times. It's in his character, and makes sense.
Naturally, the rebellion era starships are vastly more powerful. If you look at size and equipment, no ships in ToR can hold up against a rebellion era Imperial Class Star Destroyer. Not to mention the Super SD's.
But the ships that the Emperor has were the ships of the Republic left over from or built as a result of the clone wars.

Does that mean that the Jedi that commissioned the clone army and had those tall aliens build the fleet was a Sith?

And what did the Rebels do, dig up 3000 year old ships or build exact copies of 3000 year old ships
React - Gunslinger
Ataraxia

Nireves
04.11.2012 , 02:45 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobsy View Post
Afraid you're over-thinking this. Star Wars is a fantasy rather than a solid, quantifiable history.
I definitely am over thinking haha, but my problem is that this puts Bioware's rendering of the star wars universe more on the side of what they think popular culture thinks a star wars game should be and less on the side of a true star wars universe.
React - Gunslinger
Ataraxia

Larsjex
04.11.2012 , 02:58 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Nireves View Post
But the ships that the Emperor has were the ships of the Republic left over from or built as a result of the clone wars.

Does that mean that the Jedi that commissioned the clone army and had those tall aliens build the fleet was a Sith?

And what did the Rebels do, dig up 3000 year old ships or build exact copies of 3000 year old ships
Yeah, that's been discussed at great lengths, hehe. It SHOULD have been Republic designs, not sure if GL ever really officially commented on that. It's possible that master Sifo Dyas (the one who ordered the clone army built and, btw, also later was "fused" biologically to create General Grievous) thought that the Imperial ship designs were more effective. It's also possible that he had nothing to do with it, that the triangular shape simply was the Kaminoans favored designs.
It is said that Kuat Drive yards created ships for the Galactic Republic and then shifted to create for the Empire
(Quote: Kuat Drive Yards mainly sold its products to the Galactic Empire, and the Galactic Republic previously. Many Kuat products could be found in TIE Fighters, armored fighting vehicles such as AT-STs and AT-ATs, Star Destroyers, and other military vehicles.)
So it's generally the same "Corporation" that created both lines of ships.

Larsjex
04.11.2012 , 03:01 AM | #8
There is also a mention of it in this article.
To quote from there:
The 752-meter-long Acclamator I-class assault transport carried thousands of Republic clone troopers into battle. The Acclamator I favored a wedge or dagger shaped design, like the Republic warships during the Mandalorian Wars, due to its effectiveness—it allowed concentration of firepower while minimizing target profile. This basic design was used in a number of larger craft predating it and would define Imperial ships for decades to come.

DDSilver
04.11.2012 , 03:04 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Nireves View Post
Actually, this.

The Jedi that ordered the Clone army was heavily influenced by Dooku.
(Although I prefer the earlier draft version of the story, where he was called Sido-Dyas which is an obvious reference to Sidious.)

Also, During the Mandolorian wars the republic was known to use both Centurion Class Battlecruisers : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Centu..._battlecruiser
As Interdictor class Cruisers : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inter...-class_cruiser

While those same shiptypes would serve the Sith empire a few years later.

If we look at the storyline of the game, it appears that many of the republic ships are of Corellian design, which makes sense I suppose.

Bluerodian
04.11.2012 , 03:18 AM | #10
Is there even a Kuat Drive Yards (Builders of Imperial Star Destroyers in the OT era) at this point? o_O
Long time player of SWG from cradle to grave. First Kettemoor, then Starsider.

Referral Link! You know you want to click on it.