"Missile damage ignores 100% enemy armor" but...there's no armor!

Royox

I don't understand this. Concussion missile last talent says that...but when looking for Ships stats there is no "armor" stat...I dunno if this whole "**** 100% armor!!" is worth it or not. Plz help me understand. Edited by Royox

I don't understand this. Concussion missile last talent says that...but when looking for Ships stats there is no "armor" stat...I dunno if this whole "**** 100% armor!!" is worth it or not. Plz help me understand.

Armour is "Damage Resistance", which strikes get 5% of by default, but can boost it to 25% with reinforced armour (or 20% for scouts), and much higher using Charged Plating.

In effect, armour penetration makes Charged Plating useless, which is largely why you don't see anyone with Charged Plating (particularly since the basic gunship railgun can easily be upgraded to ignore armour).

Of course, if no one uses Charged Plating it makes armour penetration largely useless, but there you go.

Turrets also have no shields but extremely high damage reduction from armor.

That's why your lasers tend to do single-digit damage against them, and why even rockets do until you get the first upgrade which gives them armor piercing.

Generally you will find that a lot of rockets/torpedoes all have the ability to ignore armor because they are meant to be used on turrets.

Of course, if no one uses Charged Plating it makes armour penetration largely useless, but there you go.

Hah I hadn't considered it with that humorously cynical slant before :-)

I suppose Armour Penetration is then essentially a 5% / 0% / 14% hull damage boost against Strike / Scout / Gunship. (Or taking the damage without armour-pen as the baseline, it's a 5.26% / 0% / 16.28% increase).

(Off-topic - "Itkovian" is a Malazan Book of the Fallen ref? If so, have a /salute, Shield-Anvil)

So armor penetration bypasses damage reduction. How about Evasion stats? In minor components they are set under "Armor" uprgades. I assume this has nothing to do with armor penetration? Will 100% armor penetration mean the evasion stats you get from upgrading your Armor minor components be useless? Edited by paowee

So armor penetration bypasses damage reduction. How about Evasion stats? In minor components they are set under "Armor" uprgades. I assume this has nothing to do with armor penetration? Will 100% armor penetration mean the evasion stats you get from upgrading your Armor minor components be useless?

My understanding of this:

ignore armor = ignore damage reduction stat. Any other stat, even if it comes from the armor component, is not ignored. (like evasion, extra health, etc.)

Consider it like a jedi guardian's chestpiece that has the defense stat on it. Any attack that ignores armor will hit for full damage against the guardian, but can still be deflected(the defense stat is not ignored).

Edited by Sharee