How much will KOTET cost?

DrewFromPhilly

Eternal Throne is a direct sequel to the current expansion, Knights of the Fallen Empire, which brought the deep solo gameplay and BioWare's signature storytelling to the game in a significant way. While it will be playable on its own (you don't have to play "Fallen Empire" to do so), anyone who purchases Eternal Throne will have access to Fallen Empire, and game director James Ohlen highly recommends fans do, just to fully experience the story. He was excited to make the announcement at Celebration.
link

KOTFE was "free," and this statement makes it sound as though that is not going to be the case for KOTET. Not to beat around the bush, but it's obvious KOTET will not have operations or any substantial group content outside of star-fortress like heroic/flashpoint missions. That said, with an expansion that makes the same mistakes as KOTFE , why should subscribers pay additional money when the game has not even earned the MMO subscriptions we've been paying for two years? You know, like by releasing actual MMO content like every other subscription based MMO on the market.

This game is not KOTOR 3. This is an MMO, and to be completely honest after the damage we saw KOTFE do an identical and equally flawed single player focused expansion would already have been devastating - but to go a step further and charge additional money for that expansion (and presumably, access to lvl 70 and so forth)?

Epic fail.

Edited by DrewFromPhilly

link

This game is not KOTOR 3. This is an MMO, and to be completely honest after the damage we saw KOTFE do an identical and equally flawed single player focused expansion would already have been devastating - but to go a step further and charge additional money for that expansion?

Where do you get that from that article? As I didn't see it. But come Oct 7 you will probably find out how much if any it's going to cost extra than sub.

Not disagreeing with you in your viewing of it though.

"Ohlen realizes that there were things that "worked and hadn't worked" in The Old Republic, and that's where the focus on these new "Knights" expansions turned back to making you feel like you're the hero going through the journey."

That part stuck out at me as it's a complete joke. Already too many people have stated that you don't feel like the hero. You're doing whatever everyone else is telling you, being ordered around, can't even kill people you want. You're like a private in the military.

There is no "feel like the hero going through the journey". *smh*

link

KOTFE was "free," and this statement makes it sound as though that is not going to be the case for KOTET. Not to beat around the bush, but it's obvious KOTET will not have operations or any substantial group content outside of star-fortress like heroic/flashpoint missions. That said, with an expansion that makes the same mistakes as KOTFE , why should subscribers pay additional money when the game has not even earned the MMO subscriptions we've been paying for two years? You know, like by releasing actual MMO content like every other subscription based MMO on the market.

This game is not KOTOR 3. This is an MMO, and to be completely honest after the damage we saw KOTFE do an identical and equally flawed single player focused expansion would already have been devastating - charging for that expansion?

Epic fail.

Answer to the title question- Nothing about the payment methods for KotET has been released.

I'm sorry, is that ending an actual question? It sounds like you're missing half of it "after the damage we saw KotFE do [what it did and why it was damaging as an MMO] charging for that expansion?"

Were you meaning "after the damage we saw KotFE do, they're charging for the sequel expansion?"

Yeah mybad, i edited the last paragraph so it makes more sense.

Where do you get that from that article? As I didn't see it. But come Oct 7 you will probably find out how much if any it's going to cost extra than sub.

Not disagreeing with you in your viewing of it though.

"Ohlen realizes that there were things that "worked and hadn't worked" in The Old Republic, and that's where the focus on these new "Knights" expansions turned back to making you feel like you're the hero going through the journey."

That part stuck out at me as it's a complete joke. Already too many people have stated that you don't feel like the hero. You're doing whatever everyone else is telling you, being ordered around, can't even kill people you want. You're like a private in the military.

It's kind of written around one character BW made up themselves, and your character and your choices are just shoehorned into this role as the "outlander." But yeah I agree with you, tbh I don't think they should break their arms patting themselves on the back here as KOTFE could have and should have been a lot better especially considering they pretty much abandoned the rest of the game to focus on it 100%.

Also, for subscribers BW has only had an additional upfront charge for Makeb and that was over four years ago and $20 iirc. Why go back to that now?

Edited by DrewFromPhilly

Yeah mybad, i edited the last paragraph so it makes more sense.

Thanks for clearing that up, happens all the time to me on Facebook with friends and family there.

If KotET is going to be another KotFE where there is only the single-player story (and extremely minor group content that is the same map with maybe a different door way), then expecting us to pay each month for it is a bit much. Personally, I'd rather they want us to pay $30 upfront like with SoR and RotHC were to get them before they went to everyone else. And gave more substantial group content to bring back the locusts and bring back some more of the old grouper people.

link

This game is not KOTOR 3. This is an MMO, and to be completely honest after the damage we saw KOTFE do an identical and equally flawed single player focused expansion would already have been devastating - but to go a step further and charge additional money for that expansion (and presumably, access to lvl 70 and so forth)?

Epic fail.

If you could do it for a fee and not sub, that would actually be preferred because I could go 100% preferred and still get story. I certainly don't want to give sub money if they are not going to do technical fixes, population fixes or create more group content. If they paywall KOTET, I'll probably just do ops passes and do SMs.

was that intended for old Kotor 1 and 2 ? those games were a GEM!!! A Pure delicious Gem of writing .

*facepalm* maybe one of them genius should sit down and actually play Kotfe with all 8 class and come back and tell us how awesome and amazing it is .

But you know what ? I'm not surprised . When you finish the last chapter against Arcann . The Interlude you get Speak Volume . I have no idea who wrote that . But it's like they are talking about another game with similar names .

This random article is hardly a confirmation that KOTET will require money. For all we know, it was merely an assumption on the part of the journalist who typed up the article. Ohlen, himself, didn't say anything about KOTET requiring money. The journalist could have also meant you "purchase" KOTET by having a subscription the same way you gain access to KOTFE. Until BioWare confirms otherwise, I'm under the impression subscribers will have free access to KOTET since it's very much the same expansion model.

Group content.

Subtly demeaning reference to poster's character!

Lamenting of the good old days, when men were real men and keebler elves were real keebler elves.

Smug affirmation of intellectual and moral superiority.

We'll probably find out how much it costs from the upcoming thingymabob.

link

Epic fail.

You probably will have the exact same option you had with KotFE. Pay one month to unlock access to new levels, unsubscribe, come back at a later date for the rest of the content. In that way, it's no more than any previous expansion costs (2 months sub is pretty close to £20 for an "expansion"). Undoubtably BioWare will try to entice players by locking yet more story content exclusively behind a continued subscription, as well as having other subscriber rewards to entice those who like digital pixels with no real value aside from what the individual places on them.

It is what it is. Each to their own and all that. I thnk I'm likely to take a break if they follow the same business model as KotFE, much the same as I did for KotFE. It's not as though most of my guild is still playing the game anymore due to lack of new group content, so nothing is really keeping me tied to the game (the story certainly isn't as I main a non-force user).

Oh my god! Did he say group content?! This is amazing!

Today the popular group content seems to be "money and leveling heroic runs" if fleet general chat can be used as a source to estimate anything. Anyhow, that's really amazing for an MMO to be able to pull that kind of balanced and challenging content on regular schedule. You did not create those heroics for nothing. Good job BioWare. Keep at it! Maybe you will create something as amazing and popular as Kuat Drive Yards was at a point! You know...Something people can challenge themselves with...group content!

Apparently the word "sap" is spelled h-e-r-o at Bioware.

As a regular subscriber I would be insulted if they think they are going to charge separately for the expansion. This should be included with a subscription.

Unless of course the plan is that the game is on it's last leg and they are going to try and milk everyone for as much as they can before shutdown. But still, from what is known, this expansion doesn't have anything more than KOTFE. I don't see how they are going to justify this to a lot of already jaded subscribers.

As a regular subscriber I would be insulted if they think they are going to charge separately for the expansion. This should be included with a subscription.

Unless of course the plan is that the game is on it's last leg and they are going to try and milk everyone for as much as they can before shutdown. But still, from what is known, this expansion doesn't have anything more than KOTFE. I don't see how they are going to justify this to a lot of already jaded subscribers.

In a way, however, this expansion has costed $15 USD now, but if you subscribed while it was being released per-month, it was $105 at least, if one only subscribed for the months releasing chapters. That's a single-player game and two expansions in terms of cost, and we gost for an expansion... a single player game with a multiplayer PvP map that was badly bugged for months after release, a TEC that was bugged and then delayed (Twice, iirc!), and flags everywhere not working properly.

*sits back in her rocking chair and shakes her cane* Back in my day, if a game had serious bugs still in in, it didn't get released until those bugs were fixed, and there were none of these "release now, patch it later" issues games these days have. Whippersnapper! *chair stops rocking because it's a desk chair and her cane vanishes*

Anyway, RotHC in 2013 or so was free with subscription some months after it went officially live and was a paid expansion, same with SoR. It's not like BW/EA isn't used to the idea since buying an expansion was done before.

Edited by LyraineAlei

In a way, however, this expansion has costed $15 USD now, but if you subscribed while it was being released per-month, it was $105 at least, if one only subscribed for the months releasing chapters. That's a single-player game and two expansions in terms of cost, and we gost for an expansion... a single player game with a multiplayer PvP map that was badly bugged for months after release, a TEC that was bugged and then delayed (Twice, iirc!), and flags everywhere not working properly.

*sits back in her rocking chair and shakes her cane* Back in my day, if a game had serious bugs still in in, it didn't get released until those bugs were fixed, and there were none of these "release now, patch it later" issues games these days have. Whippersnapper!

Don't forgot enemies not despawning, countless romance flags and convos not working, dueling, and 16 man ops!!!

Don't forgot enemies not despawning, countless romance flags and convos not working, dueling, and 16 man ops!!!

Enemies didn't respawn because it was a single player console game back in my day! Unless you had siblings so your family had to get multiple controllers, or you had friends who would come over. Games didn't connect to the internet even!

Convos still don't always work- look at Agent with WhatsHerSithFaceNameWithTheAnnoyingLaughDaughterPerson, still bugs out! And some companion conversations aren't the same anymore - Jorgan referred to my trooper being out in combat in the Outer Rim before Ord Mantel, but a Trooper I rolled before 4.0 came and messed with comp convos had him telling her about how she was in the academy and not one word about being out in the Outer Rim. Pre-4.0 that convo cropped up at about the time the trooper was going through the Old Galactic District zone and could stop at that one cantina where Smuggler Card Playing Guy is.

*sits back in her rocking chair and shakes her cane* Back in my day, if a game had serious bugs still in in, it didn't get released until those bugs were fixed, and there were none of these "release now, patch it later" issues games these days have. Whippersnapper! *chair stops rocking because it's a desk chair and her cane vanishes*

Back in those days Developers still had and cared for their integrity, welcome to the bright future where everything needs to be faster,bigger, cheaper.

Back in those days Developers still had and cared for their integrity, welcome to the bright future where everything needs to be faster,bigger, cheaper.

And the consoles didn't connect to the interwebs either. Yup, what a price to pay now. The pretty pitcures have improved, though.