Can you crit while crafting modable items?

theravenzone

I reached 50 a couple of days ago and now I want to start gearing up. I am a Powertech tank and I chose Armormech/Scavenging/Underworld Trading as crew skills. Sometimes through Underworld Trading you get recipes for modable items. I like that since I have a twink with 400 Cybertech. However I wondered if you can crit while crafting those items and thus get an item that has the 3 normal slots + the augmentation slot. If so, I'd be happy.

I am also wondering if its possible for armor. Anyone had any luck?

If not it makes me wonder if its a bug, an oversight or intentional.

I can say I had some green armor crit and give me the augment slot, so my guess is that yes, if you craft enough, I'm sure that the blue/purple/orange can get that as well.

The problem with orange items critting is they then become the best equipment in the game.

I hope they correct the weapons with augment slots, as that is a huge balance issue.

Since hard mode raid or champion's gear has level 56 mods that cant be removed, that cant be obtained any other way, as well as set bonuses, then no, they dont become the best gear in the game. 28 of a rating does not beat 5 item levels on all three mods and a set bonus.

What it would do is keep them in the ballpark, however, as currently, at end game, after being able to fully mod your gear for viability for 49 levels, you dont get to do that anymore at 50.

Since hard mode raid or champion's gear has level 56 mods that cant be removed, that cant be obtained any other way, as well as set bonuses, then no, they dont become the best gear in the game. 28 of a rating does not beat 5 item levels on all three mods and a set bonus.

What it would do is keep them in the ballpark, however, as currently, at end game, after being able to fully mod your gear for viability for 49 levels, you dont get to do that anymore at 50.

They will be removable come 1.1.

I don't see the issue with orange gear becoming the best in the game. Otherwise synthweavers/armormechs become redundant as there's no reason at all to buy anything from them since you can upgrade #random_token_set to the very highest level...and face it, most of the synthweaved oranges look like garbage compared to the ones you can get with tokens or from flashpoints.

I don't see the issue with orange gear becoming the best in the game. Otherwise synthweavers/armormechs become redundant as there's no reason at all to buy anything from them since you can upgrade #random_token_set to the very highest level...and face it, most of the synthweaved oranges look like garbage compared to the ones you can get with tokens or from flashpoints.

Thats not in the 1.1 patchnotes.

What's in the 1.1 patchnotes is that removing those mods via unintended bugs is now closed.

All that was promised was "in the future" all mods will be removeable and set bonus' transferable.

There is still no way for crafters to make those mods either - im Armstech, and the best barrel i can make is a Mastercrafted 22 (rating 124), my Champion's gun is 136.

Crafters are entirely frozen out of the endgame unless they make earpieces, implants, or other biochem parts.

Thats not in the 1.1 patchnotes.

What's in the 1.1 patchnotes is that removing those mods via unintended bugs is now closed.

All that was promised was "in the future" all mods will be removeable and set bonus' transferable.

There is still no way for crafters to make those mods either - im Armstech, and the best barrel i can make is a Mastercrafted 22 (rating 124), my Champion's gun is 136.

Crafters are entirely frozen out of the endgame unless they make earpieces, implants, or other biochem parts.

1.1 isn't out yet, it's on the test server. Though it seems the mod stuff has been pulled form that patch (if it was ever in in the first place). The stuff you're referring to is in the 1.0.2d patch that was pushed to the servers yesterday.

Either way, if these fixes gets pushed back to march or later I dunno if I'm sticking around, it took them 2 weeks to take out the feature near the end of the beta, should be fast to put it back in once they thought it through.

For the record: dev post.

Edited by MareLooke

The point of orange crafted gear is to customize your look. There are a lot of people dissatisifed with the look of the endgame tier raid sets (and some dislike the PVP sets as well). Oranges, once armoring can be removed from endgame purples, give them other appearance options - effectively an appearance tab for this game.

They should not, however, also be able to crit craft them because then nobody who cares about maximizing their output would ever use the tier sets again. They would be inferior because they lack the augment slot.

They should all be on par with each other.

Edited by hadoken

The point of orange crafted gear is to customize your look. There are a lot of people dissatisifed with the look of the endgame tier raid sets (and some dislike the PVP sets as well). Oranges, once armoring can be removed from endgame purples, give them other appearance options - effectively an appearance tab for this game.

They should not, however, also be able to crit craft them because then nobody who cares about maximizing their output would ever use the tier sets again. They would be inferior because they lack the augment slot.

They should all be on par with each other.

Then we're back to crafting being useless I guess. The entry level normal mode raids are so easy compared to the effort required to collect some decent craftable items (either from acquiring patterns somehow or from, even worse, reverse engineering) that it makes no sense to spend any credits on it. Just craft the rakata belt/bracers as synthweaver and ignore the profession after that. Anything else you could possibly need you can get on Illum by doing the dailies for a while (hell, most armor mods can be gotten by doing a week's worth of heroic dailies, only thing you'd have to buy is the barrel(s)/hilt(s)).

Most craftable gear looks worse than the equivalent you can get from flashpoints or even vendors (other colors, it usually seems to be grey and white for crafted gear...). On top of that it's easier to acquire (in my case I can just run The Foundry a few times, which I can do solo now at lvl50...and is way faster than the other ways of acquiring gear, barring just buying it off the GTN) after that it's pretty much a useless profession.

Edited by MareLooke