One planet is not an expansion

Darth-Rammstein

even better for subscribers if its 10 dollars no matter what then whats the big deal then its 20 dollars for f2p players doubt thats the case but if it is then this really shouldn't be that big of a deal about pre ordering for 5 days early access

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good god, you are talking about $10.00 the price of a bad meal at McDonalds. Can you not just assume it will be the same quality and entertianment that we have gotten thru the first 50 levels??

*shrugs* I can assume a lot of things like right now I'm assuming a lot about you but that doesn't mean it's true.:p I would rather know than have to assume things , call it a personal preference but hey that's life.

even better for subscribers if its 10 dollars no matter what then whats the big deal then its 20 dollars for f2p players doubt thats the case but if it is then this really shouldn't be that big of a deal about pre ordering for 5 days early access

Yeah, from what I can see (unless I missed something) the prices are set. Looks like only difference is early acces for pre-order by January 7th. $10 for subscribers. $20 for non-subscribers.

[quote=bahdasz;5646417

uote: Originally Posted by Edzew View Post

well with Obiwan we got a huge planet FALSE

with tuns of quests I would not call TOW "tons of quests" by any stretch of the imaginationand places to explore Nor this

and we got new mounts and speeders...1 new speeder that you had to quest for unless you pre-ordered, and 1 mount that was slower than all the others with 1 other that needed to be bio-engineered

dont think we got any new armor but i cant be surecrap armor that had to be created in the cube with loot from bosses and 2 loot robes that were obsolete within 6 months of the update.

but i do think we got new guns and weapons loot drop weapons were substandard, created ones were also substandard for 2 years until weapon crafting was revamped

along with a bunch of stuff for crafters to make along with new materialsthe cube was NOT crafting,

we also got a new slot for an extra toon.No you did not, you got that 6 months later when SOE was trying to save the game after NGE almost killed it

before that we got a new planet that even though it was smaller than the other planets we had it was bigger than any one we have now, plus more mounts, new armor, a new race... err wait when did we get the Ithorians?? that was Kashyyk right??While better than TOR, still not the most ground-breaking expansion ever, and only seemed big because it was SWG's first experimentation with instanced zones

before that we got SPACE!!! tuns and tuns of space!!!!!! Here I have no argument, not only space (including all the crafting to go with it) but the DWB, 3 species and lots of other stuff

and i could be wrong but all those expansions were only 30 bucks They all cost $30+ each, and the only one that had more to offer than one planet was JTL, and yet you happily paid that for all of them????

you can say that TOR's expansion is good enough for 10 bucks but remember that's only for subs the real price is 20, so let me ask you this would you pay $20 for an expansion that only gave you one planet (thats not really all that big in comparison to other games) 5 extra levels and a couple of extra things for end game play?? to me that sounds like a $10 dlc and thats for the non subbers. now if the new race was a part of the expansion then yea i can see maybe $20 bucks but that is still pushing it!!!But, you're a subscriber so it will only cost you $10 so your argument really isn't all that valid. And when you were paying $30 each for ROTW and TOW you were also paying $15 a month just to play SWG

]Let us please try to keep it real, thank you

actually obi was only 20 bucks it took me a while to find it but thats what it was not sure about the others but i think they were only 20 bucks as well..... and a lot of the things you said about obi was wrong if you kept reading a few posts later you would see my other post that actually gave a link http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_...als_of_Obi-Wan and there was a lot of things for crafters to make and no im not talking about the stupid cube and there was a hell of a lot more exploring in Obi than there is on any of the largest planets in tor. and new mounts and speeders are still new mounts and speeders o boo hoo you had to do a quest to get it or you had to buy it from some one else gee, new robes and armor is still new and most things become obsolete within 6 months usually because newer stuff comes out later on in the year so don't be daft. and so i was wrong about the second slot, its been 7 years i could get a couple of things wrong, i was prolly just remembering it that way because that is when i unlocked my jedi

we don't know what all is going to be in Tor's exp but from what we have heard so far it don't come close to Obi and its the same price. "unless you are subber then you get a discount" yea yea yea we know but think about it from the other perspective!! if you were a free to play person would you actually drop 20 bucks on that?? i bet you wouldn't!!!

actually obi was only 20 bucks it took me a while to find it but thats what it was not sure about the others but i think they were only 20 bucks as well..... and a lot of the things you said about obi was wrong if you kept reading a few posts later you would see my other post that actually gave a link http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_...als_of_Obi-Wan and there was a lot of things for crafters to make and no im not talking about the stupid cube and there was a hell of a lot more exploring in Obi than there is on any of the largest planets in tor. and new mounts and speeders are still new mounts and speeders o boo hoo you had to do a quest to get it or you had to buy it from some one else gee, new robes and armor is still new and most things become obsolete within 6 months usually because newer stuff comes out later on in the year so don't be daft. and so i was wrong about the second slot, its been 7 years i could get a couple of things wrong, i was prolly just remembering it that way because that is when i unlocked my jedi

we don't know what all is going to be in Tor's exp but from what we have heard so far it don't come close to Obi and its the same price. "unless you are subber then you get a discount" yea yea yea we know but think about it from the other perspective!! if you were a free to play person would you actually drop 20 bucks on that?? i bet you wouldn't!!!

Are you really comparing the price of something from 2005 to the price of something in 2013? How much was gas in 2005?

Then it's not FREE is it?

well by that logic all the FTP MMOs arent free to play either because you have to buy stuff on there market as well if you want to be competitive or have the cool looking stuff. B^P

by buying the stuff on the cartel shop you then never have to spend a dime on the game if you dont want to so it then becomes free. you don't need to have all the extra boxes or xp boosts or unlock the races or buy extra dungeon passes, but if you do you can just buy them on the cartel market

Are you really comparing the price of something from 2005 to the price of something in 2013? How much was gas in 2005?[/quote

well seeing as how its others that are doing that i have to say yea i am. people are saying we payed 30 to 40 for that old expansion so we should be happy that its only 20 bucks for the one we have now.... but it was actually 20 bucks back then. it kinda goes back to what others said it is more like an update than an expansion and to charge for that is kinda ridiculous especially when they said it was going to be free earlier this year

Sorry EAWare but a single planet is not considered an expansion for any mmo. $10 isn't a lot of money but it shouldn't cost anything to subscribers to be honest. You have made a killing with the f2p shop, it's not like you're not making money off this game already! Not to mention you can't even purchase it with CC coins, just seems to me like another nickel and dime grab from your loyal fans.

I don't understand where you feel entitled you should receive an expansion for free. Five new levels complete with skills new operations flashpoint companion quests a new planet (which no details of size has been released) new warzones and we can only assume new daily quest hubs unlocked on said planet...all of this for 20 bucks tops and you feel the right to complain about having to purchase it? More so you feel nickel and dimmed you can't purchase it through Carmel coins...which you get a decent amount for free each month if you sub. I don't know what games you e played in the past but expansions or updates of this size usually constitute a purchase fee. Look at console games played spend 15-20$ on 3-5 new maps for first person shooters and maybe a handful of new guns all of which are just really new skins and don't make or break gameplay. And you're having a **** fit over 10$ for a decent amount of content. Get over yourself for a minute and before you slander a company over something you should at least make sure it has at least some validation instead of it just being your personal feelings.

Believe if or not game companies take everything their players say to heart and when you spend time creating something, time spent away from personal obligations, only to have uneducated people slander them it does weigh on them and as much as they would like to just brush it off it sits with them and effects how they go about future content. Which could be both positive and negative. But in this case ifs more so the latter. I for one recently came back to this game and they have made huge strides as a company to solve some issues and improve upon quality of gameplay. They admit they aren't perfect but the game is still very new. People just need to give it time and keep stupid opinion to themselves imo.

Sorry EAWare but a single planet is not considered an expansion for any mmo. $10 isn't a lot of money but it shouldn't cost anything to subscribers to be honest. You have made a killing with the f2p shop, it's not like you're not making money off this game already! Not to mention you can't even purchase it with CC coins, just seems to me like another nickel and dime grab from your loyal fans.

I don't understand where you feel entitled you should receive an expansion for free. Five new levels complete with skills new operations flashpoint companion quests a new planet (which no details of size has been released) new warzones and we can only assume new daily quest hubs unlocked on said planet...all of this for 20 bucks tops and you feel the right to complain about having to purchase it? More so you feel nickel and dimmed you can't purchase it through Carmel coins...which you get a decent amount for free each month if you sub. I don't know what games you e played in the past but expansions or updates of this size usually constitute a purchase fee. Look at console games played spend 15-20$ on 3-5 new maps for first person shooters and maybe a handful of new guns all of which are just really new skins and don't make or break gameplay. And you're having a **** fit over 10$ for a decent amount of content. Get over yourself for a minute and before you slander a company over something you should at least make sure it has at least some validation instead of it just being your personal feelings.

Believe if or not game companies take everything their players say to heart and when you spend time creating something, time spent away from personal obligations, only to have uneducated people slander them it does weigh on them and as much as they would like to just brush it off it sits with them and effects how they go about future content. Which could be both positive and negative. But in this case ifs more so the latter. I for one recently came back to this game and they have made huge strides as a company to solve some issues and improve upon quality of gameplay. They admit they aren't perfect but the game is still very new. People just need to give it time and keep stupid opinion to themselves imo.

Why so much negativity? Has the darkside clouded your visions to common sense? Or has the lightside made you arrogant to the obvious? The greed of the bounty? $10 for subs is too expensive for an expansion, one planet is not an expansion, extra levels not enough, another money grab, etc, etc, etc?????

It does not seem that you are looking at this new expansion as what it is, instead you are looking at how Deserving You are and what they Owe You. So, as a founding sub, seeing some in the community wanting something for nothing is very disgrunting, to say the least. I was actually expecting the cost to be a little higher, $10 is much lower than I thought. Each mmo out has their own way to things, comparing them is like comparing a dog to a dolphin. The dog and dolphin being both mammals makes senses to compare them against each other, right? For that matter, an Irish Wolfhound and a Minchi, both dogs. Compare and complain, yet they are two different species of dogs.

Enough of that, I'd say, if you do not like it, do not get it. Problem solved, Unless you are one that lives to complain and cause strife. Like so many of the trolls :rak_02: in General Chat throughout the Galaxy.

First off, I'm okay with the expansion RotHC and I have already pre-ordered. With that being said...

I don't understand where you feel entitled you should receive an expansion for free. Five new levels complete with skills new operations flashpoint companion quests a new planet (which no details of size has been released) new warzones and we can only assume new daily quest hubs unlocked on said planet...

Many of these things you mentioned already came free. New Ops, FP's and WZ's already came during content patches so it's not really fair to tie them into the expansion. If anything, the new FP's and Ops may require lvl 55, but that doesn't mean you should count them into the expansion cost. That's like saying everything released after the expansion should be counted into it as well.

I think the biggest gripes people have are:

1) They were told Makeb would not be an expansion planet... so by them throwing into the expansion it's sort of taking something free and now assigning a cost to it (the expansion cost)

2) Unless otherwise noted, the expansion does not come with a free month's sub (something that WoW expansions did... I guess... I don't remember. I haven't played since a couple weeks into WotLK). So the $10 is really $25 to get the same cost for a WoW expansion.

So for $25, thus far, we get 5 new levels and things that come with it (new skills, talents, etc.). Exclude Makeb as that was first mentioned as being free... so does a $25 expansion of RotHC match well against the $50 expansion (or whatever the cost was) of a WoW expansion? I'd say, dollar-for-dollar: No.

In the end, it's still too early to tell. I do understand why others are upset, but I just sort of shrugged my shoulders on this one and paid the $10.

Edited by Lostpenguins

It doesn't come with new flashpoints, it doesn't come with new operations, it doesn't come with new companion quests, it doesn't come with new warzones. The last expansion I bought was 10 times bigger than this and cost me the same amount of money they are asking.

Oh and the planet's size has been released, it's only the size of Hoth, so there is no chance that it's going to be "five times the size" or whatever silly thing people are still claiming.

It doesn't come with new flashpoints, it doesn't come with new operations, it doesn't come with new companion quests, it doesn't come with new warzones. The last expansion I bought was 10 times bigger than this and cost me the same amount of money they are asking.

Oh and the planet's size has been released, it's only the size of Hoth, so there is no chance that it's going to be "five times the size" or whatever silly thing people are still claiming.

Source where you got this information that there isn't a flashpoint or operations for levels 50-55 in the expansion. Otherwise you are making too many assumptions here man.

Source where you got this information that there isn't a flashpoint or operations for levels 50-55 in the expansion. Otherwise you are making too many assumptions here man.

Well, they haven't said that the planet will include those things, so source on where you heard they were?

Here is my source, their own website.

http://www.swtor.com/buy

Look at the "key features" section...

I see that and I top that with this http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102

And later in the spring, our Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel! The team has been working for a long time on this, and is very excited to get it out to you. We have greatly expanded on the original concept with several new systems, 5 new levels, a big new planet, new storylines, new skills and abilities and more beyond that. Keep your eyes open for more information over the next several months.

Topic #1: Elder Game Content – What is our intent for keeping level 50’s occupied? Answer: Introducing new content and activities for the elder game is a top priority in the coming year. We’ve got new Operations, new Flashpoints, new difficulty modes, new PvP areas, and of course, the entire Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel (which is targeted at our high level players). We have a plan mapped out for the upcoming year that will keep the elder game fresh and interesting for players of all types. Overall, we’re aiming to introduce a more diverse array of activities – more stuff to do with your Companion, more challenges to tackle with groups, and more reasons for guilds to recruit. We’ll also be improving our itemization, introducing new incentives to revisit existing areas, and a lot of other exciting things that will be revealed as we move through the upcoming year.

Well, they haven't said that the planet will include those things, so source on where you heard they were?

Here is my source, their own website.

http://www.swtor.com/buy

Look at the "key features" section...

My point is that they didn't say YES or NO to any new flash points or operations just yet. Once we know there is or isn't then we can say with more certainty.

I see that and I top that with this http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102

And later in the spring, our Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel! The team has been working for a long time on this, and is very excited to get it out to you. We have greatly expanded on the original concept with several new systems, 5 new levels, a big new planet, new storylines, new skills and abilities and more beyond that. Keep your eyes open for more information over the next several months.

Topic #1: Elder Game Content – What is our intent for keeping level 50’s occupied? Answer: Introducing new content and activities for the elder game is a top priority in the coming year. We’ve got new Operations, new Flashpoints, new difficulty modes, new PvP areas, and of course, the entire Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel (which is targeted at our high level players). We have a plan mapped out for the upcoming year that will keep the elder game fresh and interesting for players of all types. Overall, we’re aiming to introduce a more diverse array of activities – more stuff to do with your Companion, more challenges to tackle with groups, and more reasons for guilds to recruit. We’ll also be improving our itemization, introducing new incentives to revisit existing areas, and a lot of other exciting things that will be revealed as we move through the upcoming year.

Yeah, I guess that they make a specific point of mentioning the wz's fp's and op's seperately from RotHC it makes it pretty apparent that RotHC doesn't actually include new wz, fp, or ops and that those are completely separate things.

ITT- people freaking out about something that was said... then freaking out that people aren't saying more.

Irony is- you people that are wondering why BW doesn't tell us more and throwing tantrums whenever they do tell us something months in advance that happens to change are the exact reason BW is not telling us anything anymore.

They're going to wait until everything is 100% set in stone- no point telling you there's going to be a feature when it could end up being too buggy two months from now to release... since you'll just have a flip out.

ITT- people freaking out about something that was said... then freaking out that people aren't saying more.

Irony is- you people that are wondering why BW doesn't tell us more and throwing tantrums whenever they do tell us something months in advance that happens to change are the exact reason BW is not telling us anything anymore.

They're going to wait until everything is 100% set in stone- no point telling you there's going to be a feature when it could end up being too buggy two months from now to release... since you'll just have a flip out.

If they aren't certain enough about what's going to be in the game to tell us, how do they know it's worth ten dollars? Did they just pick a number from thin air? Why would they put a product up for sale and allow us to order it if they don't know when it's coming out or even what it comes with?

Sounds like kind of a scam to me...

Then don't freaking buy it.

If it seems like a scam to you.. if it seems like it's not enough... then don't pay the 10$. No one's pulling your leg. No one's forcing you to whip out that credit card or collect all your quarters and give them to mommy.

And don't give me any bull about "Waah I -have- to do these things in order to stay current and keep my lavels, lol" because by paying and playing, you've only guaranteed the experience you've already had, and the next month or so in advance. At any point you can decide "I don't like this" and walk away, NOTHING is keeping you here. Talk with your money not with your mouth and useless empty arguments. Don't like something? Don't buy it. You'll realize that a company with however many subscriptions cares about as little about your sub as they do your internet arguments on the forums. Because at the end of the day some grue is going to buy the 59.99 Cartel Coin pack and make up for the six people whining about it.

The expansion is coming and is going to be what it is regardless of the heming and hawing and the verbal wordplay you through at each other. I don't care how long you played WOW or LOTRO, the expansion is coming. Two things are going to happen.

1. You're going to buy the Expansion.

2. You're not going to buy the Expansion.

And then! (OH LAWDY) Only a few things are going to happen from that.;

You didn't buy the expansion, it freaking sucks. Congratulations, now you can sit on your little throne and sip brandy and talk about how "I told you so" because the expansion is horrible and all the little sheep that bought it are so dumb ololol I am god.

You didn't buy the expansion, and it's awesome. You missed the early time, but it's no big deal, since you're the LORD OF ALL MMOS it will only take you a day to complete anyway, right?

You buy the expansion, and it sucks. Oh well, I've wasted 10$ on worse things. If you've bought cartel coins, you've probably wasted your money. If you bought something with an "As Seen on TV" sticker, you've probably wasted your money. When you buy food from a restaurant you're practically wasting your money. Hell, your spending 14$ a month (some not all) to play a game when there are so many that you can play for free, so don't worry about it. You learn your lesson for next time and become one of the cynical arses posting on this forum about how a planet isn't an expansion.

You buy the expansion and it's awesome.. congratulations, your faith in a company that has made a game you bought and pay for is kept.

So get off your damned high horses and whatever false laurels you -think- you have because you've spent half your natural born life playing video games instead of doing something else. Calm down and wait for something more substantial.

And stop trying to pick apart the words of a bunch of code monkeys like they're T.S. Elliot.

Hell you guys are arguing over word play and I -KNOW- some of you have spent money on Google/Apple store apps with descriptions and dev logs written by people who must be five years old.

This is the real world, you should know by now how corporations make decisions. Act like you know how to live in it.

Edited by Polyneux

I'd imagine it's no larger than current planets such as Hoth or Tatooine.

In Biowares defense, Tatooine is a damn huge planet, but I see your issue weather I agree with it or not. But we know nothing of the new planet and what content will coke aside from tidbits. WoW has been doing fine with 5 level expansion packs and one new continent per pack. From what Ive played so far, Tatooine would be compareable to Northerend, and Im not done all its areas yet.

We should wait and see before complaining.