So what is the counter to Sniper/Gunslinger?

KettleBelll

I seem to kill pretty much all snipers fairly easily on my pyro merc. Actually, can have some fun ranged battles with snipers merc vs sniper.

Its the other agent Advanced Class - concealment operatives, that I hate with passion (for many reasons lol)

:)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealthies are their hard counter. And, shockingly enough, a DPS Sorcerer/Sage is quite good against them: dot them up quickly, LOS, self-heal, moar dots...

this is so true lol i play a MM sniper and number of times i get dotted up and they disappear round corner. So many ways u can beat a MM sniper but if u come head on at me from a distance i will down you. Duck and weave round corners, bridges, pillers etc and youll be on top of me b4 u know it and had next to no damage when u reach me :)

As for opperatives they for def are a very good counter and do kick my butt ALOT, when i was in just recruit gear and a WH geared opperative poped out on me i never used to even get a hit off b4 i died lol

Pacify won't always work against every class. And its easily counterable against most classes and useless.

Sorc/Sage - Useless

Assassin/Shadow - Easily Counterable

Scoundrel/Operative - Easily Counterable

Snipe/Gunslinger - Unless they are Marksman it won't affect them really.

Well ofc it will affect me as engineer aswell, it just takes a marauder/sentinel who aint just throwing Pacify out at a random time. Difference between dueling a good and a bad Marauder would be exactly that the good one will do all he can to use pacify when i use Series of Shots. Its not sure to win him the game, but it makes it alot damn closer.

Pacify and Force Camoflage when used right are strong tools vs Snipers. In a Warzone snipers should always have the uper hand thtough.

Atm so many smashers around it impossible to leg shot all of em though :)

Seen from a 1 vs 1 perspective, me playing Engineer i would say the only real counter that ill loose to almost certainly every time is.

1: Lethality sniper/operative who can LoS

2: Madnes Sorc who can LoS

3: Basically any DoT class with selfheals and the patience to just take the needed time.

Assassins for are interesting duels but really, i feel like its more me that has to make a mistake to loose than its the assassin who has to play perfectly.

Edited by ZipZep

Jesus Christ how bad trolling has gone rampant these days. You really don't expect me to believe you that you cannot figure out what classes and specs are designed to counter snipers. If you have trouble figuring this out, than i am afraid that Gunslingers are not your only problems.

1: Lethality sniper/operative who can LoS

2: Madnes Sorc who can LoS

3: Basically any DoT class with selfheals and the patience to just take the needed time.

Assassins for are interesting duels but really, i feel like its more me that has to make a mistake to loose than its the assassin who has to play perfectly.

If you run full Engineering, I can beat you with full MM.

I seem to kill pretty much all snipers fairly easily on my pyro merc. Actually, can have some fun ranged battles with snipers merc vs sniper.

Its the other agent Advanced Class - concealment operatives, that I hate with passion (for many reasons lol)

:)

what's your trouble with concealment? you should roflstomp them, pretty damn reliably, pullin them out of invis, busting them and bursting them quite well.

Well even combat/carnage spec sents/maras shouldn't have that much issue with gunslingers they have a root break on camo and extended range on pacify... and many people claim that gunslingers are the hard counter to sents. I find it a lot easier in that spec to deal with snipers then as watchman or derp smash.

But really.. something to hide behind is a hard counter to gunslinger any ranged class with a player that has good LOS skills shouldnt have an issue :p

TBH i think they are a balanced class.. Though i think everytime u get 3 of them in a wz (which is rare) a new qq thread is made because they do especially hurt in numbers but so does evere other class in the game.

Edited by AngusFTW

Jesus Christ how bad trolling has gone rampant these days. You really don't expect me to believe you that you cannot figure out what classes and specs are designed to counter snipers. If you have trouble figuring this out, than i am afraid that Gunslingers are not your only problems.

Seemed like a legit question to me. I think snipers have been more of a pain to deal with since they changed stuns to 10m I have had a harder time bringing them down when playing deception/madness. When they hit their knock back they can put out some hurt on me if I do not have stealth or force speed up and even with force speed they can negate that.

If I position myself correctly when initiating the fight from stealth so there knock back has less of an effect like being between them and a well then its not so bad and it turns into a dps race.

If you run full Engineering, I can beat you with full MM.

Yes, Marksman has an advantage, but unless we are dueling in a wide open space, its not gonna be a 100% assured victory im sure. I was stating classes that I cant touch, but I can touch a Marksman sniper.

Only good Marksman sniper on ToFN i know is Roofer/Trigga, so maybe my self confidence is pretty boosted by the fact that he's the only guy that really playes that spec well. If you by chance is him then gg ;)

I play a pyro merc and a gunslinger. I confirm the earlier post that the useless pyro merc is THE hard counter to a slinger/sniper. I have never lost a 1v1 on my warlord merc that I got to 1600 rating before rated died in July. Just the right tools: I can do 90% of my dps while moving/LOSing, can cleanse root and DOTs, and self heal around the corner while thermal detonator pops a crit for 2.5-3k. Used to be even easier with our ranged stun. I worry about a lot of things: the melee train, the stealth double team, but never ever slingers/snipers.

Stealthers, be it assassin or operative, can't do much against them

I play sniper a lot, basically it's a sitting duck for people out of sight.

Please tell me you are joking and this entire thread is a joke. Assassins will outright destroy a sniper w/o any LoS.

what's your trouble with concealment? you should roflstomp them, pretty damn reliably, pullin them out of invis, busting them and bursting them quite well.

So, aside from this guy being completely wrong... Lethality/Dirty fighting legitimately cannot move a good scrapper's health. Marksman/SS can move it a bit, but Dodge is just so amazing against them. Engineering takes a bit more work, but if the scrapper isn't an idiot who tries to stand in an Orbital Strike and Plasma Probe while the sniper has Scrambling Field and Entrenched up, the scrapper will still win pretty much unscathed.

After reading all this, it gives you the impression pretty much any class is a counter to them. Does that seem kind of odd?

That's because the one constant to counter a sniper is a brain with situational awareness.

As has been mentioned here; DOT specs should be able to own any sniper, I know from running pyro merc and I have even beaten some with arsenal merc with LOS and healing; yet I can't tell you how many times on my sniper I see a merc; we get into ranged war, he sets me on fire, but then proceeds to stand there and try to face tank me.

Best thing though; against sniper outside of stealthers is the madness sorc or maybe even the DPS hybrid. DOT and hide.

Another GS/Sniper can counter well if they're skilled. Helps if they've picked up Diversion from the MM/Sharpshooter tree.

Stealth classes have the best tools, skill still obviously matters a lot. I kill loads who don't do a decent opener or follow up. When they do though it's big trouble.

After reading all this, it gives you the impression pretty much any class is a counter to them. Does that seem kind of odd?

That is because they can of course. All classes can counter each other depending on the players involved. Class knowledge and player skill are the foremost important factors. If those are equal, (and assuming equal level of gear), particular counter-abilities then become important.

You can take from this thread that there are varying degrees of skilled players and class knowledge!

Sometimes the perceived power of a particular class might be because a particular player is very good rather than the class itself being OP.

That's just one spec though. Dirty Fighting and Saboteur won't really care about either.

Pacify, thankfully, isn't famous. Many Sentinels still seem to believe believe it's a terrible ability and therefore don't use it.

nah. I just ran out of buttons!

My gunslinger (lvl 43 atm) is a ton of fun and yes any class when played well can counter us. The thing I find funny though is people usually dont even notice me till they are almost dead. Or they see me sitting there all comfy and come charging in. I can usually take one out enroute then use a stun to get them to break then knockbacks and finish em off.

There have been matches where smart players hunt me down and take me out but its usually me shooting fish in a barrel. My favorite tactic is to take a healer down low so they bubble then switch to guy beside them and start taking them down. most healers with cast a dot on themselves and start healing the guy beside them. All this time I save up my big hits so soon as healer bubble goes away I unload on the healer then take out the guy beside them. I really enjoy the gunslinger alot in pvp but we are easily killed if you play smart and dont think you can stand there and trade shots with me or charge in like a mad bull.

When i play my PT I usually always taunt any snipers slingers I see every chance i get. Sometimes playing smart instead of trying to get numbers on the board will win you a match alot quicker.

Pyro mercs (if they are the least bit intelligent) can mop up Snipers. Dot and LoS. you can even trade attacks and then LoS and heal up. Sniper can't do the same.

If you can get the drop on sniper while he is distracted thats a good win. 1vs1 open space however, is not something you should try against a sniper.