Doing Ranked in BiS Regular PvP Gear

DarkSaberMaster

Is this frowned upon? I want to do ranked, but just have BiS regular PvP gear. Is it advisable to do, or should I wait until I get Ranked gear?

I would suggest you get 208 pvp gears, and make sure you aug it out too. You NEED augs.

If you enter ranked with anything less, you will be compromising your team and only find frustration with the matches and the vitriol your ranked team spews all over you.

Some of the players are obnoxious anyway, you can do nothing wrong and have someone blame you for the loss. If you entered with less than ranked gears and no augs, they will have one good reason to blame you for the loss.

you don't get WZ comms from ranked matches. so jumping in at 204 more or less locks you into 204s.

also, it's inefficient to min/max 204s. it just wastes comms that should go toward 208 gear. once you have the 208 armorings/mods, you should min/max with 204 enhancements until you can afford the 208 enhancements.

:2cents:

True. I already have my gear auged. I=Guess I'll save up the 16k in comms to get the 208 gear then.

You could speed up the process by doing weekly PVP quest on alts too, like lowbies or whatever... You get 900 comms for completing the weekly.

Do the dailies of course too, that's 300 per daily. Then transfer them through PVP vendor with comms boxes (1k, 500, 100 wz comm boxes) to your alt through mail.

I used to do so much PVP that I ended up with a constant flow of comms on different alts so it took no time to save 50-100k wz comms.

also, it's inefficient to min/max 204s. it just wastes comms that should go toward 208 gear. once you have the 208 armorings/mods, you should min/max with 204 enhancements until you can afford the 208 enhancements.

:2cents:

I min/max 204, because I don't want e.g. accuracy on a Madness Sorc. The enhancements are what, 250 comms or something like that? Super cheap. Worth it IMO.

Agreed, the biggest issue is that you will not accrue comms from ranked. Tokens only. So you will have to run regulars to get that 208. Run the dailies and weekly on multiple chars, send comms to your main. You'll be geared up pretty quick. Although I understand the pain right now with the queues broken.

I min/max 204, because I don't want e.g. accuracy on a Madness Sorc. The enhancements are what, 250 comms or something like that? Super cheap. Worth it IMO..

. wearing stock 204s isn't going to hurt you in regs. but wasting comms min/maxing a set when you ARE trying to get 208s is counter-productive. if you aren't going to gear up 208s, then buying the individual 204 enh would make sense.

Min maxing the 204s makes sense for those that need no accuracy. You'll need to do it anyway, and 208 mods and enhancements are available and cheap. Takes the same amount of time in the end, but you're being more effective while you do it.

lol no. you end up doing it TWICE if you do it with 204s.

I think you misunderstood me. So, min maxing your 204 piece is worthwhile if you get a bunch of pieces that have undesirable stats. Shadows, for example, end up with something rediculous like 114% acc. Totally overboard. So, if you don't have the comms to buy the 208, but still want to tweak, you can and should do so.

It's pretty standard to not use the pvp shells. Since augments cost so much, most use a legacy bound item. You buy the 204 and pull the armoring and the mod out

Put them in the legacy shell that you're gonna augment and use. Then go to the vendor located between the Knight and Consular vendors. Here you can buy 208 mods and enhancements. Buy the one you want and put it in the legacy piece.

Boom. You've now min maxed a 204 piece without spending any extra comms. You would've purchased the 208 enhancement anyway to min max. You just did it in a different order. Much more effective doing it this way if you don't have a surplus of comms to fully gear yourself upon hitting 65.

You aren't buying anything twice. In fact, you're saving some credits by not pulling the unwanted 204 accuracy enhancement out of the 204 shell.

When you do get the comms to buy the 208, you just pull the armoring and mod out and then overwrite the 204s in your legacy shell. And now you have a min maxed augmented 208 set bonus legacy bound piece of gear.

Edit:

To clarify: don't use the vender between the trooper and smuggler vendor. That one sells 204 mods and enhancements. Indeed, that would be a waste of comms.

Either way, probably a good idea to wait till you're fully 208 augged before doing ranked.

Cheers

Bowtiejones

Edited by BowtieJones