Will we be able to earn Cartel Coins via in-game activities?

scullzomben

As title asks, will we?

A few other F2P games allow this. Some call it a grind fest, but it is a 100% optional grind fest. Things that could earn Coins

*Completing both world and bonus series quests

*Killing ALL champions on the planet, including World Boss

*Killing X/Y/Z of certain creature on a planet

*Full map exploration of a planet

*Etc

Of course these wouldn't have to be huge rewards. I can't really say "Only about 5-20" or "100 minimum" because we don't know the value of coins relative to the items on offer in the store, but these rewards should be kept low.

Anyway, would love to hear from a Dev on this issue. And please, your whole "HAH! EA giving away money for free" thing isn't funny anymore. New material yo.

Dev's have already stated that there will be NO way to obtain coins/tokens in-game...

The single most stupid way to make sure F2P never gets off the ground imo. Do EA even know what a F2P MMO looks like I wonder? And why they are successful?

Dev's have already stated that there will be NO way to obtain coins/tokens in-game...

The single most stupid way to make sure F2P never gets off the ground imo. Do EA even know what a F2P MMO looks like I wonder? And why they are successful?

all I know is that I think it's extremely stupid on their part to blatantly copy the lotro-model but make it worse.

in lotro even the subscriber do the farming you do for getting turbine poins and they spend them en masse too. lotro has an 'in-between' model for people who used to be subscriber but stopped paying for a bit, too.

I still have hope that this is just a 'first test' and the f2p model will be adjusted according to it.

Well.. People need to understand is that F2P isn't really free.. You pay for it else where.. That is the way of things.. Name one major MMO game that is 100% free?? There isn't one.. This is why so many people are against F2P.. Those that are all for it, really don't understand it..

There is nothing wrong with the restrictions.. And people will be able to pay for the parts of the game they wish to play.. That means they won't have to pay for the parts they don't want..

If you don't want any restrictions, then stay a subscriber..

This is a business and EA and Bioware are out to make money.. The sooner people realise that the better..

Edited by MajikMyst

Well.. People need to understand is that F2P isn't really free.. You pay for it else where.. That is the way of things.. Name one major MMO game that is 100% free?? There isn't one.. This is why so many people are against F2P.. Those that are all for it, really don't understand it..

There is nothing wrong with the restrictions.. And people will be able to pay for the parts of the game they wish to play.. That means they won't have to pay for the parts they don't want..

This is a business and EA and Bioware are out to make money.. The sooner people realise that the better..

believe it or not, but some of my biggest concerns is simply that these restrictions are so heavy that they will turn people away from the game rather then lure them in.

f2p only works with people that pay for nothing - and I mean nothing. because for every player that is enjoying the game there is a second player that .will. spend the money. and most money in f2p is made with 'convenience' stuff and 'fluff' anyway. what do you think why even completely free (?) games give out gimmicks every once in a while? to hook people. so make them browse the cash shops and spend more than they planned.

just like in real life. I call it the 'IKEA-phenomenon'

Majik..

Seems you are not counting 'time' as 'free'...

But sorry to say this, Lotro is completely FREE...'IF'...you choose to make it so. It is actually a hybrid, with full VIP, full F2P, and a middle ground of anyone not VIP who is either no longer subbing or has spent real money at 'some point' in the game. But you 'can play for free' the ENTIRE game and 'content' for no monetary cost, if you put the time and effort in.

@Amnie..Agree completely. Said it in a different thread (you may have replied lol, not checked yet). The current 'known' restrictions are not going to drag in the people EA are hoping to, even on a free basis.

As title asks, will we?

A few other F2P games allow this. Some call it a grind fest, but it is a 100% optional grind fest. Things that could earn Coins

*Etc

Of course these wouldn't have to be huge rewards. I can't really say "Only about 5-20" or "100 minimum" because we don't know the value of coins relative to the items on offer in the store, but these rewards should be kept low.

Anyway, would love to hear from a Dev on this issue. And please, your whole "HAH! EA giving away money for free" thing isn't funny anymore. New material yo.

Someone will post something to that effect from Bioware and say yes. Then you'll ask about it and get a Soon response if you get any at all. Because that is the standard mode of operation.

heh, I firmly support the addition of earnable Cartel Coins to the game.

Bioware has said that there will be no earnable coins when F2P launches. They didn't say they would never have earnable coins, just that there wouldn't be any when F2P launches.

I'm holding out hope that they will implement earnable coins in the future. It is the same hope I am holding out for guild ships and the ability to decorate our personal ships.

It's all stuff on the wall of crazy. All we can do is keep telling Bioware that we really want it.

Jaing..

Is all psychology. The 'ability' to do everything for free, earning CC in game is a huge draw and will keep people playing. It will also cause a lot of people to sub, when they realsie, hell, it's just easier.

As for cosmetic fluff, I really don't think EA (surprisingly) realise how much of a pulling power/money maker that side of the game is...

Jaing..

Is all psychology. The 'ability' to do everything for free, earning CC in game is a huge draw and will keep people playing. It will also cause a lot of people to sub, when they realsie, hell, it's just easier.

As for cosmetic fluff, I really don't think EA (surprisingly) realise how much of a pulling power/money maker that side of the game is...

We as subscribers are already earning free cartel coins right now as we speak and I think EA do realise that cosmetic fluff is a huge money maker. Just check the data mined list of items that will be in the cartel shop , lots of speeders and pets , they might make a lot of dosh indeed. We might even buy more cartel coins too if we get hooked in the "ikea" way another poster mentioned :).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

• Dev Post
I talked to Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) and asked about this topic to get some official clarification. He said that players will not be able to earn Cartel Coins from in-game activities when the Cartel Market launches, but that it's something we're investigating for the future. We like the idea but needed to focus on ensuring we had a solid framework for Cartel Coins and the Market first. Edited by AllisonBerryman

I talked to Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) and asked about this topic to get some official clarification. He said that players will not be able to earn Cartel Coins from in-game activities when the Cartel Market launches, but that it's something we're investigating for the future. We like the idea but needed to focus on ensuring we had a solid framework for Cartel Coins and the Market first.

Ah that's great , thank you for asking him for us. Yeah it will be something very cool for the future , but it would have to be precise , because basically the F2P players should have fun and be able to play mostly how they like . They would hopefully spend some money in the cash shop for the parts of the game they actually enjoy the most and giving in-game cartel coin rewards would alter this greatly , so a lot of thought is needed and a great amount of checking what the average F2P player spends is needed.

It does seem like a great idea though as it would suit my play style and by the looks of the daily's in this game would suit a lot of other players. I do like repetative gaming to a certain degree , I also like the non-repetative elements in swtor also. I basically do a few Heroic 2's every day on many characters , now if there was a cartel coin reward for a daily / H2 mission thrown in I would be first in the queue.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

I talked to Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) and asked about this topic to get some official clarification. He said that players will not be able to earn Cartel Coins from in-game activities when the Cartel Market launches, but that it's something we're investigating for the future. We like the idea but needed to focus on ensuring we had a solid framework for Cartel Coins and the Market first.

Hmmmm .... I guess this:

My concern is that this will be the ONLY way to get new "cool" stuff going forward. I'm fearful that all new gear looks will be primarily store bought vs. in-game rewards.

Is a valid concern "for the future". :rolleyes:

Is a valid concern "for the future". :rolleyes:

Subscribers won't care...... and free.. well there is no really free lunch now is there? :)

Even in LoTRO where they do let you earn in currency in game, it's pitifully slow and tedious, designed to encourage you to sub or buy currency instead.

SWTOR is just being more real and sincere about it by not dangling a dried out carrot in front of you and encouraging you to starve to death.

Which means people can rage about there being no carrot instead of the carrot being dried out and useless. :p

Edited by Andryah

Subscribers won't care...... and free.. well there is no really free lunch now is there? :)

Even in LoTRO where they do let you earn in currency in game, it's pitifully slow and tedious, designed to encourage you to sub or buy currency instead.

SWTOR is just being more real and sincere about it by not dangling a dried out carrot in front of you.

Which means people can rage about there being no carrot instead of the carrot being dried out and useless. :p

You completely missed TUXs point that I agreed with.

The "fear" is that "cartel coins" will be 'necessary ' for subs to obtain "cool" stuff. If the alowance of CCs even if judiciously "saved" doesn't yield you "real" buying power to obtain said items WITHOUT paying MORE then CC alowance is useless.

I agree with you that these models are designed to get you to sub. I just don't TRUST EA (remember the bullets comment by John Riccitiello:

"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time."

"A consumer gets engaged in a property, they might spend 10,20,30,50 hours on the game and then when they're deep into the game they're well invested in in. We're not gouging, but we're charging and at that point in time the commitment can be pretty high."

"But it is a great model and I think it represents a substantially better future for the industry."

We are already dedicated as subs (guarenteed income) we shouldn't get nickeled and dimed to death on top of it. :mad:

I really think that there needs to be Cartel Coins available from in game activities. Make some quests have an optional reward of a few Cartel Coins, or if you find all the datacrons, they are awarded Cartel Coins. There needs to be a way for players to, with enough time, gain enough Coins to be able to purchase something.

That is one thing that LOTRO has done well... you can play it totally free, gain Turbine Points by doing deeds or quests in game. It takes longer than purchasing of course, but it gives people things to work towards if they really want to avoid spending money.

The single most stupid way to make sure F2P never gets off the ground imo. ?

Yeah... that's why every successful F2P game I've played in the past year have also allowed people to grind their way through without spending anything by introducing a separate in-game currency for paid and unpaid, where the only difference between what the two get is the grind...

Edited by FlyinSpaghetti

You completely missed TUXs point that I agreed with.

I did not miss it, I simply disagree with it. :D

Subs monthly stipend of coins would far outweigh any amount of coins one could earn in game via the LoTRO approach (unless you grind 7/24 and have no life... but that is a different issue really).

Edited by Andryah

TOR seems to be 5 years behind the times with everything, why not in this as well.

Guess looking at what games like GW2, LOTRO, STO etc. etc. are doing was out of the question.

By not giving players a way to get these coins BW is just denying itself one avenue of enticing players to use the cash shop. And nobody in the games I mentioned before grinds the in-game means to acquire any meaningful amounts of shop currency, sooner or later everyone buckles and gives a few dollars to save themselves the hassle, that's the point.

Edited by aeterno

Actually your not 100% correct... I have guildies in DDO that went F2P and havent spent a dime... why becuase you can grind TP's very easily if your prepared to put the effort in to do it...utilising servers and fast leveling toons its not that difficult. On top of that you just need to be intelligent on how you spend the points and when you spend them - cut out the fluff you dont need and concentrate on achieving not hoarding. Not my cup of tea but horses for courses i guess.

Being totally free can be taken in differnet directions.. the content you are given as a F2P is free but with SWTOR there is no otherway in there model it seems to hook you in to grinding out rewrds so at some point the credit card will need to be swiped through buit actually if you compare SWTOR's planned content allowance its a sizeable chunk of the game, and more I would say than any of the other F2P MMO's I sub to or have trialed.

Of course the OP was not actually asking if the whole game was going to be free, just if there was any kind of ingame reward plan... SWTOR might regret not offering such an aspect because without that carrot infront of their noses, many F2P players may not last the course, becasue this game just doesn't hold the appeal and replayability factor for too long as it is... otherwise the sub base would not have seen such a drastic drop off in so shorter time.

TOR seems to be 5 years behind the times with everything, why not in this as well.

Guess looking at what games like GW2, LOTRO, STO etc. etc. are doing was out of the question.

By not giving players a way to get these coins BW is just denying itself one avenue of enticing players to use the cash shop. And nobody in the games I mentioned before grinds the in-game means to acquire any meaningful amounts of shop currency, sooner or later everyone buckles and gives a few dollars to save themselves the hassle, that's the point.

Totally agree.. the in game reward scheme is bait and hook tactic that is proven to work, F2P use it and get hooked into it and subbers use it to buyy trivial things - but when the grindache hits both parties begin to take the lazy way out and hit the credit card.. because fluff afterall is what alot of players like in game.. I would be more than tempted to buy the odd pimp my ride set for my speeder or pumpkin grenade etc etc.. its about having fun in game for me... its not meant to be a second job its a release form the RL day to day stuff.... but without the reward carrot, many players, subbers especially will simply carry on running alts, grinding dailies or PvP comms then log off and come back to rinse repeat.

So I agree BEAWARE just seems to fall behind the 8 ball everytime it comes up with an apparent plan :( - even when all the clues and examples are out there in front of their noses.

Edited by Bloodstealer

As title asks, will we?

*Etc

This would be a cool option for subscribers to get.... I wouldn't think they would let F2P players get this as it negates any reason for them to spend real money and just be a free loader.....

believe it or not, but some of my biggest concerns is simply that these restrictions are so heavy that they will turn people away from the game rather then lure them in.

I believe this would only be true with people who have been playing the game since day one and want to be cheap by going F2P..... For a new person trying out SWTOR for the first time I don't think the restrictions will be a problem at all..... If anything it will encourange them to either subscribe or buy a week pass..

All the complaining is from existing paying subscribers who want to go F2P but are like "Oh crap I don't want to lose X, Y or Z, I need to complain to try and get Bioware to include those items in F2P"

Edited by Monoth