Class Feedback

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Powertech spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. How do you think your Powertech spec is perceived by other classes? Someone to jump in and absorb their damage and to keep the healer from taking too much heat.

2. How do you perceive your own spec? As it stands I should be seeing attacks that grab attention as well as causing problems for enemy players by lowering there attack or something else while having to keep people alive or an individual. What I see right now at the moment is something broken and useless as I feel like I can't even hold the damage that is sent my way as well as just mindlessly beating a player while trying to juggle moves that are supposed to lower the damage or threat of enemies.

!

Great class were every tree is viable and fun both pvp/pve.

Play a really fun anf strong spec that not many players play LINKFor PvP this is a really strong spec dualing/teamplay.

But i do feel that playing pyro tree with the 90% armor penetration is to much.The 60% armor penatration should be changed or moved higher up in Advanced prototype so 31 spec pyros cannot get 90%.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. I believe it is generally perceived as an asset to the team (be it PvP or PvE). The Pyrotech tree is miss-perceived as being too powerful due to its high burst damage in PvP, but I think people fail to realize that the Pyrotech spec sacrifices a lot of survivability in exchange.

2. The Pyrotech tree performs well but is very fragile. But I'd like the Advanced Prototype tree to be more viable than it currently is especially in PvP so it becomes a worthwhile alternative to the Pyrotech tree: Retractable Blade is a joke doing far too little damage, and Prototype Flamethrower isn't reliable in dynamic PvP environments (and doesn't do enough damage when you finally do manage to hit some people with it.)

Also, Powertechs need to be able to use blaster rifles like Boba Fett. Through a legacy unlock, special limited reward, whatever. Make it so! ;)

I've played tank spec and DPS spec.

1. As a tank, I'm really popular, moreso than the Sith tanks. I think that has more to do with player choice than class mechanics; in my experience, most bad tanks I've seen were Sith players. As a DPS, so, so much burst. Lots of burst.

2. I love my class. I feel powerful with all that armor and gear.

I think that Powertech is generally perceived as overpowered by other classes. This is unfortunate, because both Shield Tech and Advanced Prototypes are perfectly well balanced - but it is pyrotech that everyone talks about.

I feel that Shield Tech and Advanced Prototype are both perfectly well balanced and entertaining specs, with their own drawbacks and advantages. Although, I wish the Iron Fist build hadn't been nerfed, at the expense of trying to make tanking more like World of Warcraft. However, I feel that pyrotech's incredible synergy, (with its pulls, 90% armor penetration, and most of all, flame burst proccing insta-damaging DoTs, snares and rail shot at the same time) has made it overpowered. A lot of people have rerolled as pyrotechs for ranked PvP, and it shows.

Edited by clearsighted

Pyro spec - most classes see us as totally overpowered in terms of DPS particularly in PVP. Probably true at end game PVP but class doesn't start to compete well IMHO till later levels.

Pyro Spec: Simple to play, only downside is heat management sometimes but that got much easier at higher levels. Awesome in PVP with burst, lots of instants on the move. Haven't done any PVE to comment on that side of things. There are few (if any) classes I fear if I'm aware enough of my surroundings and heavy armor is a bonus.

First off, thanks Bioware, for taking the initiative to gather feedback.

For my answers, I will restrict it ONLY to the pyro tree, because that is the only one I have played so far.

Most people think we are overpowered. We indeed have the best burst in the game, but that is balanced by how squishy we are in the pyro spec. Most people don't realize the latter, and are quick to call for nerfs. I do not know if you guys are thinking of nerfing us again, but if you do, I ask you not to make the class borderline useless because burst (and some situational grapple/taunt) is all we have.

I have three 50s (juggernaut, mercenary and powertech) and for pvp I like this guy the most. I love the mobility of the powertech, and with taunts and grapple I get good utility. Like I said, I think the excellent burst is balanced by the squishiness of the spec. Haven't PvE much with this toon, but when I do he usually gets the job done. Overall, excellent playstyle, and good balanced aspects.

PvE: Arguably the best of the 3 tanks in Shield Tech spec

PvP: One of the two best damage dealing specs in the game as Pyrotech

Pyrotech is overpowered in PvP, plain and simple. I can put out so much damage in such a short amount of time that almost nothing can stand up to it, and most of that damage is either elemental or has the ridiculous 90% armor piercing. I would say my survivability is about average despite a lack of cooldowns due to my heavy armor and since I can dictate range with my perma-snare and grapple so I can kite melee or get in the face of most ranged.

Coming from a Shieldtech's perspective:

1. In PvE I feel as though Sith tanks seem envious of my survivability. Other classes seem to have low expectations of the spec, but often I hear my groups say, "Finally, someone who knows how to BH tank." In PvP, I seem to be treated as a nuisance as I am best suited for harassing the enemy, with my taunts almost magically drawing their attention.

2. I perceive my spec as a versatile defense machine with unprecedented ranged utilities compared to other tanks. I boast impressive mobility being able to switch between a ranged assault and a melee fist fight on the go. If my tools are well managed, I have an answer to most situations.

(Also, I what I'd like more than a blaster rifle, is a way to mount my pistol on my wrist, and free my fingers up to flip the enemy a double bird) :jawa_angel:

PvE: Starting to get more recognition in PvE for being viable thanks to the AC's mobility as a whole.

PvP: I currently run a hybrid spec that has slightly less burst than pure AS/Pyro. Other players see me as a threat and usually try to burst me down as fast as possible.

PvP: My hybrid build(seen in my signiture as Terminal Velocity) is super fast-paced and incredibly fun to play. I love running in and bursting almost as hard as a AS/Pyro while retaining incredible mobility thanks to Hold the Line and/or Hydraulic Overrides. Its great to watch turret classes waste their knock-backs as I pummel them in melee range.

Edited by Grimoir

1. Solid Tank in PvE. Weakest tank in PvP

2. I really enjoy PvE tanking with Powertech. I'd like to see an AoE snare and/or AoE mezz in the shield tech tree for PvP. It is a big loss to PvP utility compared to the other tanks. An addition to the flame surge talent could be a good place for it.

I PvP tanked a lot as a Guardian and I really miss the ability to effectively hybrid spec for PvP tanking. I think the tanking cylinder probably needs a buff to make PvP tanking more effective or some of the talents in the Shield tech tree need to be cheaper so that you can pick up more PvP AND PvE talents in that tree.

Edited by TomC

I only pvp with Pyro spec so all my responses are from that perspective.

1. I feel we are seen as the OP class and frustrate players with our burst damage and ability to tear down healers.

2. I have really enjoyed playing this class. The burst damage is key to wining games. With out PT's I really don't see how teams could kill some of the healers in this game. With out the PT's burst it would take 3-4 players to kill a healer....but with my burst it only takes one more player to focus them to kill them. I can make them ineffective all on my own.

Pyro is seens as one of the highest damage specs in PvP, and a great spec for PvE DPS. I also play Shield for PvE, which is seen as a great tanking spec with probably the highest DPS of the tanks and the best armor by far.

I love Pyro and think it is top-tier for both PvP and PvE. I also think shield is the best tank currently in the game, with the best aggro, especially for AoE tanking, and the best survivability for most boss fights.

1. As a ranged tank that has a slight advantage in survivablity over melee classes but less dps in that spec than other classes.

2. As dps powertech I perceive powertech as a stabby flamey death machine. I don't pvp with my powertech and he doesn't seem to have as much surivability as the tanking spec (duh). PROCS could use some graphical clues as to when abilities have triggered.

Good alrounder, good DPS good Tanking. Not a over powered class or a high threat in PvP but a good all rounder. Nice mix of skills and a non too complex system for special moves.

I dislike the fact we have meele and ranged abilities. Many of the attacks turn us into a meele tank where it would be nice to be a ranged tank rather than being very similar to SW. I did think the BH was the most powerful class in PvE but I think this is only because he gets a healer compaion first.

I only play PvP, and from a PvP perspective I know that powertechs have similar burst do annihilation marauders, but nearly no survivability whatsoever. The burst is fine, railshot gets modified by all armor and reduction, it is white damage. It misses whenever a shadow/assassin pops shroud, it misses when warriors pop their 50% dmg reduction cooldown, and it misses alot on covers and tanks. I think the burst should definately NOT be toned down. It is equal to many other classes burst, assassins, rauders, and smash juggs.

I think mostly unexperienced players think pyro powertechs are too powerfull because they just get melted by them, but later on you will notice they aren't an issue unless they get heavy heals.

How do I percieve my own spec, well, I play pyrotech, always have. I did not roll a PT when it was a 'hot' class. I have always played it, when railshot could proc from every attack. When the 6 second timer got added to railshot, the heat fills up faster, and we can't spam it anymore. We have ALOT less dps output since that change. Our survivability is on the edge. I say we don't need any changes to the class as of right now. It should just be changed if all classes get a major buff somehow.

Pyrotech has the potential for high burst, but I barely see any good powertechs around, even though it's an easy class. That said, their burst is avoidable by learning when they are going to railshot, and an operative healer that clears DoT's from people will make a powertech's burst almost nothing. Railshot hits between 3 and 4k on dps players (crit) and has a 6 second cooldown. I say this isn't anything to complain about. I think if the class would get nerfed it will become quite unplayable and may have a MAJOR impact on many rwz teams that need to find replacements and a major impact on unhappy subscribers. The game is at a fragile stage right now, bioware is finally going the right way with their patches, and I don't think it's wise to change any class dramatically or even slightly at this point. The subscriber base is growing and I think the big nerfs have to be on hold for a while.

Sure, I may find marauders annoying, and they **** me on my PT. Do I think they need a nerf? No. I just need to play better, and eventually, they will be no problem. They is no such thing as an OP class in this game right now. There is only bad players. Bioware has their classes balanced perfectly right now, and if I were them, I would keep it this way. Most of the QQ is gone, everyone seems happy.

Any good player will tell you that powertechs may be annoying, they're easy to kill and they can't burst down a healer alone.

I find it sad to see that some people think differently and want a class nerfed simply and only because they cannot and do not know how to counter a powertech, or are in a bad bad team.

I hope this information was usefull, and I hope it helped you :)

1) They should view it as the best pvp class in game bar none. Always my target in pvp when on the other side, and in my opinion the most fun class to play.

2) Easily my favorite class of all, perhaps a natural match. Loads of fun to PVE and PVP with and always topping the list with ease in any decent match.

ShieldTech:

1. How do you think your Powertech spec is perceived by other classes? I usually see people referring to us as tanks that tank well, but don't do great damage.

2. How do you perceive your own spec? I think our survivability is better than the other two powertech specs, and our damage is definitely worse single-target. For multi-target damage, it's a little bit better due to the new 1.3 additions.

Advanced Prototype:

1. How do you think your Powertech spec is perceived by other classes? Most people I talk to look at advanced prototype as being bad because the moves that are focused on don't do a whole lot of damage. Especially when compared to Pyrotech, people think AP is the weak spec.

2. How do you perceive your own spec? Advanced Prototype is the sustained spec that sustains damage due to the fact that they have endless heat with the prototype vent thingies, free rocket punches, and immolate which is dirt cheap. I seem to be most useful in longer, multi-person fights, as long as I'm not targeted. AP seems more like the huge AoE disher as far as Flame Burst, Explosive Dart, DFA, and Flame Thrower is concerned, and I feel the most useful when people aren't paying attention to me. I feel very squishy when I'm targeted, and do someone mediocre single-target damage to make up for it.

Pyro:

1. How do you think your Powertech spec is perceived by other classes? The one shot kill overpowered goodness that they seek.

2. How do you perceive your own spec? I'm not too terribly geared, so I don't see these apparent mythical 5k and 6k Rail Shot crits, but chained rail shots do tons of damage. Also, Reflexive shield lowers the cooldown of Energy shield to a mere 40 seconds if said powertech is constantly being attacked. For a burst damage spec, they sure do have a lot of sustained survivability. I would give Pyros burst everything, which may mean just increasing damage reduction by maybe 10 or 20% while the shield is up.

Hi

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

Thank you!

1) I am percieved as too much burst and good sustained dps. I am chosen for rated warzones more than other classes for my mobility and instant cast abilities for melee range. Other powertechs will not agree as we have limited defenses and can be kited once our grapple is on cool down.

2) I see me as a balanced class. i have more 10m range abilities than 30m ones, i build up heat quick if i don't be carefull and can lose a fight against a marauder or ranged dps if he slows, snares and stuns me attempting to do the same to him. my burst is based off my rail shot which is got a 2nd timer for its dual role use and flame burst has to be within 10m to even hit.

ShieldTech

1. In PvE, I believe most see us as the better of the tank classes. In PvP, low damage and decent survivability.

2. In PvE, we perform exceedingly well, particularly with AoE threat. In PvP, I feel worthless unless carrying the huttball. Guarding teammates and taunting are great, but that seems all I'm good for. My attacks hit like a wet noodle.

This is from the perspective of an Advanced Protoype 8/33/0 Spec.

In PvE enviroments, I know I match or exceed my groups DPS through shared parsers. Currently I am geared with rated 140-146 equipment and am currently in the process of completing HM EC with my current group. As a DPS for PvE, AP is perfectly suitable for all content available just as well as the next DPS class is.

In PvP enviroments, I know many opponents view a powertech coming at them full charge as either a shield tech or a pyrotech, but most don't know what AP is or what it does. What they don't know is that I can stay in their face and keep them practically locked down if they are a healer or if they are any other class that has to cast in order to do anything. Going up against another melee oriented class, AP's mobility is absolutely key as our Hydraulic Overrides/Hamstring/Pneumatic Boots allows for kiting while using Flame Burst/Immolate/Railshot (if available).

I have played this game since launch, played through powertech once on an empty server, re-rolled, and have specced into all the available trees to powertechs. When 1.2 released with several changes to AP, I immediately respecced and have had it as my main spec ever since (excluding instances of pyro envy :confused:). There are enough responses about shield tech and pyrotech from other posters here that have already set the theme for the other trees, but AP I believe is not well represented.

PvE wise, my only main complaint is that Hydraulic Overrides does not guarantee physics immunity from all opponents. I can understand knockbacks from Ops bosses and such, but some elites can completely interrupt a 5 stack flamethrower while HO is on. If anything this may have been an oversight and is not gamebreaking of course but it is annoying when you expect not to be interrupted.

In PvP, I feel like our potential burst is too easily interruptible. Pyrotech's "Thermal Detonator" is AP's Prototype Flamethrower, but unlike TD, PF can easily be countered by a stun or avoided due to server lag or such. I think the reason so many people think pyrotechs are superior to AP is that with pyrotech, you can have 100% uptime on DPS from almost any range vs. AP which requires a much closer proximity in order to maintain DPS which leads to much higher aggro and an easy interrupt which ruins our rotations. In order to maintain that rotation and DPS, our flamethrower must hit otherwise it will be like doing nothing for several global cooldowns and a waste to build five stacks to.

:rak_02: Suggestions :rak_02:

1. The only changes I can think of to benefit AP in PvP without affecting PvE may have been something that was already in place from beta. I remember seeing a page a while back that had an AP ability that cut the time of casting Prototype Flamethrower. I don't remember the specifics but that would seem like a HUGE benefit in maintaining DPS in PvP as it would lessen the chance of PF being interrupted and help us maintain DPS pressure.

2. I see AP builds that completely ignore Railshot and Hamstring because it only works when Retractable Blade is used which all seems like a waste of heat. I suggest speccing into Hamstring gives Railshot the ability to apply the slow effect from Hamstring while Retractable Blade's bleed effect is active. This would give a much better incentive to use both abilities and could help in staying within your targets vicinity if they attempt to kite or run away.

3. The AP tree doesn't have much in terms of survivability and mobility can only go so far. We have Energy Shield and Kolto Overload which are available 2-3 minutes apart from each other and doesn't help much in terms of AP when we take constant AOE damage. I suggest having Hydraulic Overrides provide some sort of chance to evade damage by 25% or so or even provide a small buff to defense. Being available every 30 secs, it seems like the ability to add something to in order to help with survivability while in the thick of things.

Also, thanks for allowing us this window of perspective to help improve our classes and specs! :cool:

Edited by INIne_IBreaker

From a tank tree PVP perspective.

As any other tank which means an annoyance but also a free kill for tech/force users as they ignore all our defensive mechanism.

Fun to play with an excellent mobility and good control. However i do not feel tank at all against tech/force users (sorcerer, operative, powertech pyro dps, sniper).

On the other hand i feel completely fooled by my Tank gear which have really little value compared to the DPS gear since our defensives stats are bypassed in many occasion (guard bypass theme and force/tech spells as well) and that the difference in endurance is not significant.

The consequence of this is tank playing with dps gear doing the same protec score with way higher damage. Please fix defensive stats mechanism so that defensive stats have as much value as offensive stats.

There should be a significant difference in term of survivability between a Tank/dps geared player and a Tank/tank geared player, in the current state the difference is not significant.

Perspective - Raiding Pyrotech only.

1. I see us perceived as a strong "melee" build, strong enough to be bothered with bringing, if the healers are worth a spit. There does seem to be a lot of complaining about the pyrotech spec from PvPers ONLY. In other words, if you're going to nerf us for PvP, PLEASE find a way to separate tweaks in PvP from affecting PvE.

2. It's a relatively uncomplicated class to play, with one truly good strong attack, that can be used every 6-15 seconds depending on procs. The obvious downside is heat generation from flame burst and unreliability of the FB/RP based PPA proc. Very strong single target, IFF we can be within 10 meters consistently. The moment you force us out regularly, our dps plummets. We also have very limited AE capability, with death from above being the only one we can do at range, and it's got quite a significant cooldown. Flame sweep is next to worthless, and flame thrower is okay, but the range and directional requirements make it fairly limited.

1. Pyrotech - people mostly don't like this spec, because it's "overpowered", and simply pressing 3 buttons is enough to do tons of damage, while other classes have to use it's best to outperform me.

Advanced Prototype - not many powertechs using this spec, but other players are showing more respect to any non-pyrotech powertechs:D

2. Pyrotech - obviously most boring, unbalanced and overpowered skill tree in the game, especially in PVP. Most easy playing spec. I can press 3 buttons (flame burst, rail shot and rocket punch) to do tons of damage. Combustible gas cylinder does half of the job for me automatically. No special tactics, no skill rotation. Just those 3 buttons spamming in any situation. No fun for me, no fun for the enemy player dying easily. Skill tree need to be redesigned.

Advanced Prototype - a good balanced tree, but without big damage output. People not using it because pyrotech is much easier and doing more damage. But Adv. Pro is much more fun. It has many tactics in different situations, many different abilities to chose from, many opportunities. This tree is for skilled players..