new commando looking for some advice on a dps healer hybrid

cycao

i just rolled a new toon the other night and i was looking for any advice on a good hybrid template. i want to be more dps as my 50 assassin is a tank spec and it gets old sometimes.

ill take any advice you guys are willing to give.

Also what stats should i be focusing on i was told aim and endurance but this is a new class and just would like some insight thanks.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRoRdcdZrIkbMb.1

This is your best bet for Hybrid imo. Good heals, good DPS with Charged Bolts. Use only your combat support cell. This also has good Defense with the Concussion Charge and Stockstriker knockbacks, lower timers, Cryo Grenade costs less. Using Supercharged Cells makes Charged Bolts free with this also.

Yes, Focus on Aim and End. Aim is primary, with this setup you would also want Crit as a territary stat.

I'm not trying to tell you how to play your class, it's your dime. But...in my opinion, a Healer/DPS hybrid for Commando just means you'll be really bad at both.

We don't have much for HoTs. Our instant heal is on a high cool down. Our best attacks take time to ramp up, and require keeping debuffs up on the target.

If you're doing PvE you're a liability in the raid because Enrage Timers are more dangerous than incoming damage.

In PvP you're going to very immobile.

Yeah... I have seen some interesting scoundrel pvp hybrid builds, but they are mostly instant casts, so it's different.

Everyone plays their own way of course, but in my opinion you should find a spec that you enjoy and just play that. All the commando specs are fun and competitive so you can play whichever makes you happy

well ill be putting all my points into gunnery anyways until i reach a higher level. I was told a healer/dps hybrid was not worth my time i guess i was wondering if there was truth to it and it sounds like that is the case. I guess another question is it a waste putting any points into the healing tree i was playing around with this build

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRoRzZMIkbRrdRz.1

but this class again is new to me i have my sin down to a science but this is virgin territory for me and i appreciate the feedback so far

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRoRdcdZrIkbMb.1

This is your best bet for Hybrid imo. Good heals, good DPS with Charged Bolts. Use only your combat support cell. This also has good Defense with the Concussion Charge and Stockstriker knockbacks, lower timers, Cryo Grenade costs less. Using Supercharged Cells makes Charged Bolts free with this also.

Yes, Focus on Aim and End. Aim is primary, with this setup you would also want Crit as a territary stat.

Why kolto residue over first responder? I know alacrity isn't our top stat by any means but kolto residue is such a meh talent in a hybrid build.

Why kolto residue over first responder? I know alacrity isn't our top stat by any means but kolto residue is such a meh talent in a hybrid build.

Because imo putting 2 into FR also means you have to put 2 into weapon cal in the assault line. The extra heals helps more that going from 1.9 to 1.8 cast time imo.

A hybrid template does actually work with commandos guys. Charged Bolts still hits hard, your not absolute best at both but your good at both.

1. Charged Bolts with little pushback and cost reduction meaning its free when using Supercharged Cells.

2. Cryo grenade costs less

3. Concussion Charge costs less, knocks back farther, quicker reuse.

4. You have another knockback in Stockstrike that is usefull when trying to heal back up or your team.

5. You get Charged Barrier and Treated Wounds when using Charged Bolts. Thats 8% more defense.

6. Still get everything good about AMP and MP

3, 4, and 5 are big plus' in the hybrid setup. Better than you can get going 1 way. You get 3 and 4 going gunnery but you cant really heal that way like Hybrid spec. It helps hybrid more than Gunnery.

I dont use this spec, I run Assault but I have used it and it worked. Averaged around 100-150k DPS and 75-100k heals. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I had a pretty similar idea for a hybrid dps/heals spec. However, I really enjoy having grav round. I'm only 26 right now so my points are in Gunnery, but I was thinking about running with something along these lines:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRoRdcdkZMIkbR0z.1

I'm wondering if Trauma Probe and Psych Aid are worth it? I have zero experience with Trauma Probe, but I use Field Aid a decent amount and having it cost less (and do more) would be nice.

I had a pretty similar idea for a hybrid dps/heals spec. However, I really enjoy having grav round. I'm only 26 right now so my points are in Gunnery, but I was thinking about running with something along these lines:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRoRdcdkZMIkbR0z.1

I'm wondering if Trauma Probe and Psych Aid are worth it? I have zero experience with Trauma Probe, but I use Field Aid a decent amount and having it cost less (and do more) would be nice.

Imo your gimping yourself with that hybrid spec. Grav round is only good for gunnery spec, Charged Bolts is good enough. You wont get all the percs from using Grav. You also MUST have Tenacious D for hybrid spec. Trauma probe is nice to through in if you want. Thats just 1 more thing to work into a certain rotation though as little as it may seem. Pysch Aid same thing. You are already doing multiple things, the more you have to do is going to cause problems.

My spec is slightly different from yours Hiley. I still don't know about 5% healing buff from kolto probe vs 5% alacrity(which affects your dps also). I've been considering picking up efficient conversions once I'm using the dps 2pc(brings conc charge to 15 sec cd).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRRodcdzZMIkdMb.1

The only way I think first responder could work is grabbing the extra 4% alacrity from assault line. You would have to get rid of Armor Screen in CM line though. But thats 9% you would have. Yeah EC is a given either way. Dont think it reduces the timer just the cost on the abilities. Are you thinking of something else?

You could go either way. I prefer the heals I guess, I can see your point in the Alacrity though for DPS and Heals its just such a small amount compared to 5% of a 2000 heal being 100 extra. that not being to great as well but it does add up

Edited by HileyQuiggley

Thanks for the help Hiley. If I do not go with Grav Round and I'm using Combat Support Cell, how do I use High Impact Bolt? Do you find that it just isn't worth it?

Its worth it to use it for sure. After a cryo grenade or anytime they are incapacitated. Its an insta cast and it hits for over 1k. No reason not to use it. It wont be as strong as using it with gunnery line all the way but still for sure not a waste.

If you get into a situation where you really need to heal, but you're not fully heal specced, you'll wipe. Then where you need a little healing, you'll spend so much ammo on healing you can't DPS. The best hybrid spec is to be full healing. You keep everyone up efficiently which allows for maximum DPS.

As a Combat Medic with M1-4X, I can solo Champions. I can walk up to an unlimited amount of weak targets and Mortar Volley them to death. I DPS plenty fine for having no DPS training points. Keep your gear up to date and go 31 in Combat Medic and you'll be fine.

I am Cybertech so our gear was up to date most of the time. I grabbed every orange piece we could use and modded it.

Hybrids have been dying before SWTOR came out. Don't try to be something you can't.