What's your stance on abusing boss mechanics?

It takes longer though because, after beating him down, you have to go and kill the mass of super durable adds manually instead of just having them die from the boss's death throes.

If you want to save time, the group can /stuck and get out of combat since the wookie is the checkpoint.

Ok, to be more specific:

In Mando Raiders do you really think getting to a point where the bonus boss can do absolutely nothing to your group and you can safely kill him is just using the environment to your advantage? I definitely don't think so.

The same with the Wookie and his adds: get out of range for the adds, after the fight you do /stuck and violá boss beaten. I don't think this is working as intended tbh.

As for me, I will not make a hassle out of it. I do know these exploits, but I will not bring it up in a PUG. If the people want to exploit, I will usually silently follow. But I'm leaning more and more towards refusing to follow these practices as it is simply no fun at all.

I am not playing to gear up and jump into NM Operations, I play these FPs to have fun. And it is more fun without exploiting, that's my point.

I have to agree with you on the "Do it right at least one time" mentality. Another part of me doesn't like abusing boss mechanics that are clearly borderline exploits because eventually these will get fixed and then people will complain about an encounter being "too hard" or something.

I think this is also why Lost Island (pre 2.0) was so difficult for people to complete. There were no mechanics people could cheese. They had to learn the mechanics, learn the fights, and execute them correctly.

you make a very valid point with the lost isle comment.

Ok, to be more specific:

In Mando Raiders do you really think getting to a point where the bonus boss can do absolutely nothing to your group and you can safely kill him is just using the environment to your advantage? I definitely don't think so,

If you want to get technical, the boss will still do damage to DPS/healer when he would be doing his leap, right before he turns on his red circle of doom. The only thing being on the wing does is prevent the tank from taking any damage (since the boss can't reach) or the melee from taking damage from the red circle (since it doesn't reach down).

If the devs really cared, they could give him a harpoon to use when his primary target is out of melee range when he's not in red-circle-of-doom phase.

This is one of the things that gets brought up a lot with the cheesing of mechanics: they wouldn't be all that hard to fix if the devs felt like fixing them. If the devs don't feel like fixing them, it's either intended or unimportant. If it's intended, they're likely to applaud us for learning so quickly. If it's unimportant (which is my guess), they probably look down on the practice but consider it to have no real effect upon the game. As I see it, the none of the bonus bosses are even remotely hard, since they're tank/spank + one interesting mechanic; if you're going to wipe, it'll be on the final boss (or, for some FPs, one of the middle bosses like the Boarding Party) since they actually have more complex mechanics and generally hit harder to boot. The bonus bosses are just mechanisms to provide the bonus loot for killing trash.

Ok, to be more specific:

In Mando Raiders do you really think getting to a point where the bonus boss can do absolutely nothing to your group and you can safely kill him is just using the environment to your advantage? I definitely don't think so.

/snip

I am not playing to gear up and jump into NM Operations, I play these FPs to have fun. And it is more fun without exploiting, that's my point.

After 4 wipes on mando raiders bonus boss due to enrage (1 dps on campaign and another on tionese), I suggested "let's stay here, he can't touch us".

Kicking players (with the associated drama), skiping the boss or quitting the group is less fun.

I personally do not mind it, I've fought each of these bosses the "proper" way and at this point I'm gearing up alts/helping gear up guildies so anything that helps make the fights faster/easier I will use.

Also any time we pug we explain these "exploits" as you like to call them and the pugs LOVE them, haven't run into a white knight yet and if they refuse/impede progress, hey that's what the kick function is for.

Best advice is if you wanna do the fights proper, run with guildies/friends, I'm fairly sure the devs are aware of these "exploits" and they've had several weeks to fix them, still haven't so clearly this isn't something overly critical to "fix".

I do not mind them in a general sense. What I do not like is when people insist on doing some that are really not worth the hassle.

The one on Athiss with the Beast of Vodal Kresh where you drag him down to the "lake" so the adds do not come to you is one of those. The adds die quick and it is a pain to drag him down there and sometimes he evades. So not worth it.

Honestly I don't see moving the boss as an exploit. Let's take the Esseles with Ironfist, if you pull him on the higher bridge the adds will correctly spawn but won't join the fight. I personnally see that as clever positioning and I believe that if the devs wanted us to avoid this trick they would have fixed Ironfist a long time ago.

Edited by demotivator

to be very truth full, I don't like doing it, to me its more fun doing it as intened .

Like the bonus Boss in the raiders, I don't like standing on the wing to me that's no fun , the other day I told the group id rather not do it that way but how it was intended .I won't report any one for the abuse but at some point I just won't do it even if they vote kick me .

But then again I out gear all HM FP now on my main, I tell tanks to pull as fast as they want to with cc or without it IF they know how to tank etc .

Edited by tanktest

After 4 wipes on mando raiders bonus boss due to enrage (1 dps on campaign and another on tionese), I suggested "let's stay here, he can't touch us".

Kicking players (with the associated drama), skiping the boss or quitting the group is less fun.

BUT using cheats and poss being ban is ?

What would be the abuse on the Wookie boss ? Making him burn his own adds ? That sounds absolutely intended to me. How many other bosses has some sort of "friendly fire" thing ? Red Reaper would be one, where you had to move and stay behind of thsoe acolytes whateves. I don't recall walker-kephess damaging his pakcs of thrandoshians with the aoe stuff (would have been nice though,lol)

But what are you going to do ? Positioning yourself so adds are safe and sound ? That's what you do for your group fighting with you :p

Last nite some one showed me the Expoit , I won't tell anyone here simply because I don't do it .

• 3 weeks later...
I hate it, and generally object to doing the fights in any way other than executing the mechanics as designed. Because what happens then is people get so used to the exploit, they forget how to do the fight correctly, and the fight has to be nerfed into oblivion.

Not to say "I told you so", but just healed a Mando Raiders where the other 3 had no idea how to fight Gil normally. Took two attempts, mostly because they didn't let me finish explaining before they pulled, then he reset because a sniper was up on the box. I mean, what is so hard about this fight that required groups to stand on the wing in the first place? "Tank put back to wall, don't move, taunt quickly when he switches, melee DPS stay out of bad".