SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

Most simple solution:

- Get 32GB RAM

- Make 24G ramdisk

- Copy entire SWTOR onto the ramdisk.

Works like charm for me. Could be rendered useless if TOR increase its size too much, though (unfortunately can't increase RAM anymiore...).

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most simple solution:

- Get 32GB RAM

- Make 24G ramdisk

Works like charm for me. Could be rendered useless if TOR increase its size too much, though (unfortunately can't increase RAM anymiore...).

What makes me really sad is I read the documentation and decided to only get an additional 8G of memory because why waste money on memory I'm not going to use?

Of course when I ran unleashed I saw that the maximum setting uses 19GB. I would have happily paid for 32GB if I thought I could use it. DOH!

I gotta say. The first few incarnations of this weren't very much help. Took a bunch of time to set up, and even then I don't think it was working right.

I just tried the latest version, and it helps a lot. My framerate doesn't pick up so much, but it's a ton smoother. Without Unleashed, there would be stuttering on occasion, especially in warzones with lots of effects going on. Running Unleashed that stutter is gone, and while framerate stays mostly the same, there's no more big drops in performance.

Most simple solution:

- Get 32GB RAM

- Make 24G ramdisk

RAMDisks are volatile because they are based on RAM. It's get's wiped every time your machine is powered off for any reason. Unless you leave your machine running 24/7/365 you'd waste a lot of time coping it to the RAMDisk time and time again.

Hi Everyone,

I tried following all the steps shown (downloaded the prereq Microsoft .NET Framework 4+ and ImDisk) and selected my settings but I get the following error message:

Could not load file or assembly 'ImDiskNet, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture =neutral, PublicKeyToken=69215e034751fde4' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Can someone kindly tell me what I did wrong with ImDisk? I am by no means tech savvy; so please bear with me :D

RAMDisks are volatile because they are based on RAM. It's get's wiped every time your machine is powered off for any reason. Unless you leave your machine running 24/7/365 you'd waste a lot of time coping it to the RAMDisk time and time again.

I don't have much games, so SWTOR resides on vertex3 SSD (not very reliable SSD :( ) - with SATA3 making a copy of TOR to ramdisk takes about 75 seconds.

Can't figure out how to remove the caching with IMDISK drive... (not that it matters much, but still kinda useless, caching RAM in RAM)

Of course I can copy the contents of SWTOR folder to "nul" device (and TOR will be cached in RAM then), but prefer simpler and more reliable solutions; with *** up using DiskCacheArea it should be in ramdisk, not limited write SSD anyway...).

Edited by Bolo_Yeung

yep me too, I had to reinstall the entire game because there was an md5 inconsistency after the new patch and NOTHING worked. So play around this at your own risk.

To the creator of Unleashed: Why havent you beta tested this with other clients, setups, versions of windows?

Unleashed was way way to unstable for my liking, so I will pass for now untill its way more tested in a later build.

I cannot recommend SWTOR Unleashed.

Edited by Amelyssan

To the creator of Unleashed: Why havent you beta tested this with other clients, setups, versions of windows?

Are u completely nuts?! Unleashed is a free software, what on planet earth makes you think that you're entitled to ask him for justifications?!

Edited by Cretinus

Honestly, every time I try using this I notice absolutely no difference in game performance.

Then again, I have an OCed i7-3770k running at 4.0ghz and 32gb of ram. Although -- no SSD, just a plain old HDD. But no change in performance.

Seems a tad strange, but oh well! Nice to hear that it works for some.

Honestly, every time I try using this I notice absolutely no difference in game performance.

Then again, I have an OCed i7-3770k running at 4.0ghz and 32gb of ram. Although -- no SSD, just a plain old HDD. But no change in performance.

please time how long it takes to :

• load a new toon from the toon selection screen
  • load a planet (e.g. corellia)
  • load a WZ and then load back to fleet when done

Be sure to check the unlleashed option to cache everything. I already get very good frame rates without unleashed and saw liltte or now improvement there. I do see a noticeable improvement in load times. Seeing as how I do a lot of WZs and also switch between toons for crafting improving load times matters to me.

LOL. Dude... you have 32GB of memory! Windows will use all unallocated memory as a disk cache. Since TOR only chews up 3GB or so, you have arounc 28GB left as cache. After you load an area for the first time, it will never leave memory - all subsequent loads will be lightning fast.

For those of us not graced with 32GB, Unleashed looks pretty nice...

---Stentorian

LOL. Dude... you have 32GB of memory! Windows will use all unallocated memory as a disk cache. Since TOR only chews up 3GB or so, you have arounc 28GB left as cache. After you load an area for the first time, it will never leave memory - all subsequent loads will be lightning fast.

For those of us not graced with 32GB, Unleashed looks pretty nice...

---Stentorian

I load all my asset files in my 32GB of ram, using Unleashed. I love it and have been using it since I have had 8GB.

i have an i3 3220,gt 630(crap card but plays this game at 40fps in combat on low settings) 8gb of ram!

i thought i would try this to see if it would improve load times,cant say ive noticed any diffrence,but what i have noticed is every now and then in gameplay i get a ever so slight pause that was not there before,it doesnt affect gameplay or anything,its just a small annoyance lol! im thinking maybe ive added the wrong stuff,so far ive got disk cache arena,local apps and fx,is there anything else i should be adding for a smoother play,faster load times?

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently advised to run SWTOR in Windows xp sp3 compatibility mode for performance purposes (advice was for those using Windows 7). It seemed that running in this mode with Exca's SWTOR Unleashed active was not appropriate as I was consistently crashing during play. Forgive my ignorance:

1. Is SWTOR unleashed not compatible with running SWTOR in xp sp3 compatibility mode?

2. If it is not, are any able to comment on which might be more appropriate for someone with 12GB of RAM, 3GB of Video RAM, Core i7 @ 3.6Ghz?

Thank you,

Tiridian

I was recently advised to run SWTOR in Windows xp sp3 compatibility mode for performance purposes (advice was for those using Windows 7). It seemed that running in this mode with Exca's SWTOR Unleashed active was not appropriate as I was consistently crashing during play. Forgive my ignorance:

1. Is SWTOR unleashed not compatible with running SWTOR in xp sp3 compatibility mode?

2. If it is not, are any able to comment on which might be more appropriate for someone with 12GB of RAM, 3GB of Video RAM, Core i7 @ 3.6Ghz?

Thank you,

Tiridian

Tiridian,

I run both unleashed and the game with Windows 7 64bit, never have run it in xp compatibility mode. I have an Core i7-2700k running at 3.9Ghz with 16GB of memory with a GTX 660 vid card. My Settings for unleashed are as follows.

Add DiskCacheArena

Add LocalApps

Select FX

Select Dynamic

Add extra 100mb to the ram drive size (under additional options)

Also because I have an Nvidia card I've made the following adjustments in my Nvidia control panel under manage 3d settings and it has helped this game as well. These Settings should be made under the program settings tab and select Star Wars the old rep for the program, if your system has not detected it you may have to add it to the list with the add button, be sure to add the program and not the launcher, again this is for Nvidia cards.

Set Multi Display to Single Display Performance Mode

Set Power Management to Prefer Max Performance

Set Max Pre Rendered Frames to 2 or 3

Hope this helps...

╔════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

║ ║

║ ERROR ║

║ ║

╚════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

This script has determinate that either the disk where your local appdata or

the disk where you installed SWTOR does not have NTFS as filesystem. Creating

links can only be done with a NTFS filesystem, hence the check.

If this error not correct, please post this error in the ramdisk thread created

by Lemon_King. You can find the link on the first line of this script.

Press any key to continue . . .

I am running a Win 8 machine with NTFS on both my hard disks?

EDIT: Ignore ,e I wasn't running as an admin DOH!

Edited by cymonguk

Do you recommend this for a Laptop? It runs pretty good already, but If something can make it faster I am interested. Here are my specs.

PROCESSOR*

Intel® Core™ i5-3317U Processor

OPERATING SYSTEM*

Windows 8

GRAPHICS ENGINE*

Mobile Intel® HD Graphics

GRAPHICS MEMORY*

64MB-1696MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Memory and Storage

MEMORY*

6GB DDR3 1600MHz memory

HARD DRIVE*

640GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)

OPTICAL DRIVE*

DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)