Ex Post Facto Guild Bans?

MorseGod

OP, your argument is passé. You should toss it into a blender and hit frappé. I wouldn't even touch is with a soupçon of jalapeño in a piñata at my sister's quinceañera. Maybe you could write an exposé about how American's are too lazy to appropriately put accents in the words they borrow from other languages. You could put that on your résumé. Then you could enjoy your smugness with a soufflé and a glass of rosé. To say that you are naïve about accents would be rather à propos. Perhaps if you were more learnèd on such subjects you would know the difference between lēad and lĕad. I could go on but instead I'm going to go watch some animé while enjoying a latté.

DÀMÑ...that's was very well done!!! Do you use alt codes a lot or did this take you like 5-hours to type up? Honest question...I never use them so I have to use a link like CaptRogue posted above...

I'm not a fan of alt codes, but I've used them for a couple of different toon names that were already taken.

I don't think they should be banned, and I doubt there's any incentive on the dev's part to do so.

However, if I can't type your name in w/o needing to alt tab and look up some code to type out your name...you better talk to me first, or be standing near me to get invited to my group.

I like your outrage, though. Seems odd that you direct it at something as benign as people making the case for their own personal preferences, which is obviously what everyone does when making suggestions for changes.

Funny, because if anyone's outraged here, it's clearly you.

As for the issue at hand, when your "personal preferences" involve causing unnecessary headaches to a lot of people whose first language isn't English but are for whatever reason playing on an "English" server, you bet you are going to see pushback.

And since we're comparing anecdotal evidence, here's mine: in my 6+ years of playing, I've lost count of the times when the lack of an accent mark could induce confusion. Educate yourself. Believe it or not, accents and "non-standard" characters weren't invented specifically to make your life hard as a guild master. More generally: not everything is about you.

Side note, can you please point out where specifically in the ToS it says that the language descriptor in the server selection screen is meant as a hard exclusionary rule? Ta muchly.

TL;DR - no thanks

So before you go all keyboard Nazi, realize it's not about you.

This quote could be applied to so many people who post here wanting the game to be exactly what they want, play exactly how they want, and for everyone (including the developers) to make the game 100% about them. I got a good chuckle out of it, Kodrac! Thanks.

And no, you should NOT force change anyone's name with special characters in it. That ship has sailed. Learn to cut and paste like everyone else does with names with special characters.

So you're really advocating having the bugs around this fixed, right?

I too believe that people with "special characters" in their name should be able to be whispered normally. This is a bug that needs fixing badly, as more and more people people have (from a NA server players' perspective) odd characters in their names.

I understand that those characters aren't odd for European servers, but we don't use them generally in English in North America, especially in names.

So if you're on Star Forge or Satele Shan, it's really annoying to need to contact someone, like via whispering, and the game can't do it.

Folks shouldn't need to change their names if they like them that way or it's a normal part of their native language (for example, a European player that plays on a NA server). The bugs in the game and how it handles such characters need to be changed/fixed.

Edited by arunav