Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Way overdue time to get rid of Subscription model and go FTP like other MMO's

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Way overdue time to get rid of Subscription model and go FTP like other MMO's

ALaggyGrunt
09.04.2018 , 06:43 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
The misconception that a lot of folks seem to share is that if the game drops subscriptions and goes completely F2P, it's not going to increase the development resources Bioware has available for this game. I think it's a safe assumption that it would actually have the opposite effect. Besides, that decision is made by EA ultimately, and the dye is already cast. In other words, it's common knowledge that they've moved a majority of the Bioware development resources to Anthem, and they won't be coming back.

Subscriptions are guaranteed revenue each month. CM sales certainly figure into the picture, but you can't rely on those, and I'm sure they vary greatly from month to month depending on what's for sale. It seems risky at best, and utter folly at worst to remove a reliable revenue stream from a game that is already running on a skeleton crew.

@OP: From my perspective, if you want to put the final nail in the coffin that sends this game into maintenance mode, pull subscriptions. That's not what I want to see happen, or most subscribers, for that matter. For those who think $15 per month is too much given the content we have, I think you're being unrealistic in your demands and lack perspective. I mean seriously, have you ventured out from your parent's basement lately? You can easily spend $10 for fast food on a single meal. In today's economy, $15 per month is NOTHING. The subscription revenue is probably barely enough to pay for the rent and utility bills for their studio and data center locations. As others have stated, if you feel $15/month is too much money for what we get, I encourage you to seek your entertainment elsewhere and spare us the millennial entitlement attitude.
My generation is... oh. Yeah. Right.

Radio Shack existed because there existed a DIY electronics hobbyist community big enough to support them. It ceased to exist because the economic landscape made the time and/or money to DIY electronics unavailable to too much of their consumer base, and they couldn't come up with anything new to sell that would economically justify their existence, so goodbye Radio Shack.

Subscription MMOs will suffer the same fate: in order to work, they require people with the time and the money to play them. If one or both of these resources isn't available to a player, that becomes a serious problem for anyone trying to sell any kind of luxury item or service at all to this crowd. Trying to substitute a "free"-to-play game for a subscription-model game where you essentially can't play without $100 in paid unlocks will run into the same problem. The masses of millennials who would actually want to play this game are mostly working two jobs trying to pay off student loans and coming home too tired to bother. Some of the people I went to school with (left HS in '04) have 12-year-old kids, so there's that job too.

Don't try to give me "they can beat the odds." Individuals beat odds. Populations are odds. Anything you want to sell a lot of has to work for populations.

lightSaberAddiCt
09.05.2018 , 10:47 AM | #52
MMOs are not mobile games that give maximum reward for no effort. By their nature they take time to acquire items, wealth, gear or whatever the carrot on the stick is.

Sorry, I am totally against this game going full F2P. It would not substantially bring in more income from free players. If anything, I think they should buff the preferred, make it a one time charge of like 29.99, qnd open up the credit limit, unlimited pvp and gsf.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

Cerixy
09.05.2018 , 11:43 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by LeelaSeventen View Post

SO i guess you didn't like the Temporal Agent arc, or the Jem'dar arc? And you probably won't like the discovery event they will be doing in a few months.

When has there been new story content, I don't mean ops, or fp's . When was the last time there was an actually story content expansion.
The Temporal agent arc was not bad I'll admit, I didn't really like the Jem'hadar arc though, IMO it was boring. I can't say for the Discovery arc as I've not been keeping tabs on it at all.

I'll be honest I was harsh with my origional opinion, for that I am sorry. STO just didn't live up to what I hoped it would be. My perfect STO would've been old bioware writing the story, handling the ground content side of things while someone else handles the space side of things.... such as Cryptic/PW.

IMO I do not think STO is any direct competition to this game as it offers a completely different type of content to this one, the only thing they have in common is they have Star in the title. This game tried to be WoW's competition and for me it won but in reality it failed.

I honestly would prefer if this game had the same buy to play model as ESO and for them to use the money made in this game to be put back in to more content for this game rather than it being filtered off to where ever.

Stephrebecca
09.06.2018 , 01:57 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Falensawino View Post
FreeToPlay MMOs have a higher rate of game closures.

Name one F2P MMO that's lasted as long as SWTOR has had cartel coins.
As I mentioned previously

The Lord of the Rings Online is FTP and the FTP Model came out with the release of Moria xpack - this was released in 2008 and is still going strong after 12 years - the 1st 2 years of the game was Sub only

This game regularly updates has new xpacks and more - It was recently bought out from Turbine by a group of Devs who couldn't stand what was being done by Warner Bros

MetalGhost
10.12.2018 , 03:57 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Malckiah View Post
This would solve the PvP queue issues. As well as other issues due to the subscriber stuff. Black Desert and other games are doing well with no subscription. Plus the game is almost 8 years old....still $15 a month?....really?
I know there is technically a FTP model in this game, but the way it is set up it actually hurts the game by gimping the Queue numbers in major content.
They are way to greedy to pull that off, the game will just implode and be canceled.

MetalGhost
10.12.2018 , 04:08 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
I think you're spot on about where the money goes, and how it's allocated back to Bioware.

That said, most "other" games that are full F2P don't have the greediest game publisher on the planet (EA) calling the shots. There is a long and well documented history of what EA does with game studios that are no longer making them money. So to me, given the circumstances here, it's not a risk but a certainty that if the revenue stream for this game dries up, EA will go Kavorkian in a heartbeat and pull the plug. I personally believe that the subscriptions are the only thing keeping this game in the black.

On the flip side of this discussion, if they did pull subscriptions, they would necessarily have to increase micro-transactions to offset the loss of revenue. We would basically be nickel and dimed to death, similar to the way the Preferred method currently works. Want that higher mount speed? Pay us $5. Want to equip epics? Pay us $5. In very short order, you've spent $50 just to have and do the things you are able to do as a subscriber. $15 per month is peanuts, but $50 or more, that's where I think the argument about entertainment value would be justified. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't stick around for that.
After the last star wars battlefront game which I waited first till it came out (avoided wasting money) I've learned to never buy EA products again. I will subscribe to this game but EA is so greedy they really just bring down a game instead of the game being great. Destiny 1 and 2 is a prime example along side of the battlefront games. Destiny could have been a billion dollar game easy but their greed destroyed the game before it even hit stores. The up and comming Anthem game will just be another game they ruin so I'm going to avoid that one as well no matter the hype.