Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maintenance: October 24th, 2017

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Maintenance: October 24th, 2017
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

KragCulloden
10.26.2017 , 02:06 PM | #261
RE: "I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying.."

He's admitting they lied. They said there would be an East Coast server and a West Coast server knowing there would *not* be a West Coast server at all.

They are liars, plain and simple. Unprofessional, untrustworthy liars.

Cruxa
10.26.2017 , 02:08 PM | #262
Quote: Originally Posted by KragCulloden View Post
He's admitting they lied.
Oh, I absolutely got that. What I didn't get is their stated motivation for the lie.^^

JarenWelen
10.26.2017 , 02:11 PM | #263
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server.
You seem to be making a pretty concerted effort to reduce that population.
Zhalle / Kayl'ik / Arxxis
Founder/Beta Tester

Foambreaker
10.26.2017 , 02:12 PM | #264
Hey folks,

As many of you know, on Tuesday Keith explained that in preparation for United Forces we moved all current west coast servers into our Virginia data center. Here’s some of the key questions we have received about the North American datacenter change:

Why not communicate this ahead of time?
We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience. This meant we could quickly start gathering feedback on what you were seeing in-game (more on this in the next question). However, we have seen posts from players who made specific decisions based on location (such as character transfers) and we will be in touch with them to discuss. To ensure there is no confusion about this update in-game, we adjusted the server selection screen to reflect that all NA servers are on the east coast.

My ping has gone up since the change and it is affecting my gameplay, what options do I have?
Please continue to report it! As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible. We will be working through this especially over the next two weeks as we ramp up to United Forces.

Could there be one data center in the Central US so that pings are more even for each coast?
Creating an entirely new datacenter is a daunting task, even above and beyond the substantial changes we have already made this year. This just isn’t something that was viable in the scope of the changes we made for United Forces.

Since all of NA is in one datacenter, shouldn’t we just have one server?
Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server. This would introduce several challenges: 1) Players would likely experience queues accessing the server and 2) It would increase the chances for server instability and downtime. There are also a variety of other issues, but a key concern was combining all of North America would result in substantially more character name collisions.

We hope this answers some of your questions and lets you know what’s going to happen over the next couple weeks. Please remember, on November 8th we will move all players to their new servers during an extended maintenance (currently looking like 12 hours). We are also discussing starting a few hours earlier than usual (e.g., 2 or 3am CT), but will let you know a few days beforehand.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
Regarding:
"Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server."

No problem, when you take into account the players you drove away already and the players who will quit when they lose their names, there will be lots of space on the 1 server.

Regarding:
"As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible"

When you find a shorter route across the Rockies and the Pacific Ocean lets us know. We are holding our breath waiting

Icykill_
10.26.2017 , 02:12 PM | #265
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
He has often responded to my PM's he does say he forwards every PM to another member of the dev team, so I am sure that if you send it his way through here it will end up somewhere where it is supposed to go at Bioware
I’d prefer a standard setup or response from Eric on what the procedure is... I dont want to spam Keith with the amount of data I have and will have if they want actual data from Australia...
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

BenKatarn
10.26.2017 , 02:12 PM | #266
Why not communicate this ahead of time?
We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience.
No, Eric. Just no. You intentionally gave wrong information post-maintenance. You don't just "discover" that it would be better to combine server infrastructures. You don't just on a whim decide combine American datacenters without prior notice or negotiation with said datacenters. You knew, the datacenter knew.

You lied to your customers.
- = = The Atrias Legacy = = -
Aryne, Jedi Sentinel | Cayra, Jedi Sage | Kherra, Scoundrel | Khenna, Vanguard
Vertos, Sith Juggernaut | Zedas, Sith Sorcerer | Ysari, Sniper | Neith, Powertech

Foambreaker
10.26.2017 , 02:14 PM | #267
Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
No, Eric. Just no. You intentionally gave wrong information post-maintenance. You don't just "discover" that it would be better to combine server infrastructures. You don't just on a whim decide combine American datacenters without prior notice or negotiation with said datacenters. You knew, the datacenter knew.

+1

Translates too: We knew you would be pissed so we waited...

Icykill_
10.26.2017 , 02:16 PM | #268
Quote: Originally Posted by KragCulloden View Post
RE: "I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying.."

He's admitting they lied. They said there would be an East Coast server and a West Coast server knowing there would *not* be a West Coast server at all.

They are liars, plain and simple. Unprofessional, untrustworthy liars.
I called it and so did my friend and she got a forum ban for pointing out that it was fake news and a lie... go figure... she already had her hand on the unsub plug... but that was the last straw for her and she unsubbed straight away.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦

Nmyownworld
10.26.2017 , 02:17 PM | #269
We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time ...
Because of all the times when not communicating ahead of time about big changes to the game that negatively impacted players went so well? Normally I try to edit snark out of my posts. But, honestly, not informing players about all NA servers moving to the east coast before it happened? Bad. Idea.

Players may not agree with game decisions, but do want to make informed decisions. That means not springing things like the server move after the fact. Would there have been threads about it, had it been announced ahead of time? Yes. However, I think the feeling of being duped would have lessened -- had players known about it in advanced. I'm not an APAC player, and not impacted negatively by the servers being on the east coast. However, I am a player who, in the future, is going to have doubts about what's said by devs concerning the game because of this situation.

It takes time to build trust. One action (or in this case, inaction) can undermine that trust.

Icykill_
10.26.2017 , 02:17 PM | #270
Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post

..... +1
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦