Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Maintenance: October 24th, 2017

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Maintenance: October 24th, 2017
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mikel_p's Avatar


Mikel_p
10.26.2017 , 01:39 PM | #251
Will being moved onto the new server also clear out our Outfit designer tabs similar to a server transfer??? Just curious because most of my characters have 5+ tabs which can get expensive to reset over 40 characters... thank you for your time and hard work on my favorite game!

AscendingSky's Avatar


AscendingSky
10.26.2017 , 01:40 PM | #252
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

As many of you know, on Tuesday Keith explained that in preparation for United Forces we moved all current west coast servers into our Virginia data center. Hereís some of the key questions we have received about the North American datacenter change:

Why not communicate this ahead of time?
We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience. This meant we could quickly start gathering feedback on what you were seeing in-game (more on this in the next question). However, we have seen posts from players who made specific decisions based on location (such as character transfers) and we will be in touch with them to discuss. To ensure there is no confusion about this update in-game, we adjusted the server selection screen to reflect that all NA servers are on the east coast.

My ping has gone up since the change and it is affecting my gameplay, what options do I have?
Please continue to report it! As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible. We will be working through this especially over the next two weeks as we ramp up to United Forces.

Could there be one data center in the Central US so that pings are more even for each coast?
Creating an entirely new datacenter is a daunting task, even above and beyond the substantial changes we have already made this year. This just isnít something that was viable in the scope of the changes we made for United Forces.

Since all of NA is in one datacenter, shouldnít we just have one server?
Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server. This would introduce several challenges: 1) Players would likely experience queues accessing the server and 2) It would increase the chances for server instability and downtime. There are also a variety of other issues, but a key concern was combining all of North America would result in substantially more character name collisions.

We hope this answers some of your questions and lets you know whatís going to happen over the next couple weeks. Please remember, on November 8th we will move all players to their new servers during an extended maintenance (currently looking like 12 hours). We are also discussing starting a few hours earlier than usual (e.g., 2 or 3am CT), but will let you know a few days beforehand.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
A few questions:

When are you going to admit EA cannot change the laws of physics, and the APAC players are going to have increased pings from here on out?

Are you going to give refunds to all the APAC players who resubscribed or kept subscribing based on your communicating there would continue to be a West Coast server, who now can't play the game?

Are we going to get any kind of apology from EA not telling us the truth ahead of time?
#FixConquest
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

Cruxa's Avatar


Cruxa
10.26.2017 , 01:53 PM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience.
I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying... So you didn't communicate it to avoid players freaking out unnecessarily before they would even see the impact on their game?
Couldn't they have seen that before by immediately logging in/creating a char on an original East Coast server? And why the statement that it was just "discovered" on the 24th that the datacenters could be combined when it was obviously planned beforehand?

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
10.26.2017 , 01:55 PM | #254
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

As many of you know, on Tuesday Keith explained that in preparation for United Forces we moved all current west coast servers into our Virginia data center. Hereís some of the key questions we have received about the North American datacenter change:

Why not communicate this ahead of time?
We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience. This meant we could quickly start gathering feedback on what you were seeing in-game (more on this in the next question). However, we have seen posts from players who made specific decisions based on location (such as character transfers) and we will be in touch with them to discuss. To ensure there is no confusion about this update in-game, we adjusted the server selection screen to reflect that all NA servers are on the east coast.

My ping has gone up since the change and it is affecting my gameplay, what options do I have?
Please continue to report it! As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible. We will be working through this especially over the next two weeks as we ramp up to United Forces.

Could there be one data center in the Central US so that pings are more even for each coast?
Creating an entirely new datacenter is a daunting task, even above and beyond the substantial changes we have already made this year. This just isnít something that was viable in the scope of the changes we made for United Forces.

Since all of NA is in one datacenter, shouldnít we just have one server?
Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server. This would introduce several challenges: 1) Players would likely experience queues accessing the server and 2) It would increase the chances for server instability and downtime. There are also a variety of other issues, but a key concern was combining all of North America would result in substantially more character name collisions.

We hope this answers some of your questions and lets you know whatís going to happen over the next couple weeks. Please remember, on November 8th we will move all players to their new servers during an extended maintenance (currently looking like 12 hours). We are also discussing starting a few hours earlier than usual (e.g., 2 or 3am CT), but will let you know a few days beforehand.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
So, what about APAC players?.,.. none of what you said will address our issues of massive numbers in lag... there is no way you guys can mitigate it enough that it wonít impact us significantly...

If you have a plan for this... now is the time to explain it because I can tell you we are already leaving the game because most of us know you are unable to get out ping back to the 200ms we had on the west coast...
An extra 50-80 ms for US based players is playable... but adding that to 200-220 ping for APAC players... puts us into the range of unplayable...

I am being genuine here when I ask, do you have a plan that is going to be able to fix this because we canít see how itís realistically possible once connection leaves your data centre and travels across the country...
I implore you to give us the hard truth and just tell us... has the APAC community been deemed an acceptable lose?
If not, at what speeds do you realistically expect we should be playing at.

One last question, where are we supposed to be giving Keith this feed back data on our ping and performance issues? Do we just keep spamming the forums or do you have a system in place for us to send you the data?
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
10.26.2017 , 01:56 PM | #255
I appreciate the honesty here Eric...but damn man...not telling your customers ahead of time was LOW...you actually hid that information intentionally. I can't express how big of a mistake I believe that was.
All warfare is based on deception ē If his forces are united, separate them ē If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near ē A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer ē 7-day FREE sub ē FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
10.26.2017 , 01:58 PM | #256
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
So, what about APAC players?.,.. none of what you said will address our issues of massive numbers in lag... there is no way you guys can mitigate it enough that it wonít impact us significantly...

If you have a plan for this... now is the time to explain it because I can tell you we are already leaving the game because most of us know you are unable to get out ping back to the 200ms we had on the west coast...
An extra 50-80 ms for US based players is playable... but adding that to 200-220 ping for APAC players... puts us into the range of unplayable...

I am being genuine here when I ask, do you have a plan that is going to be able to fix this because we canít see how itís realistically possible once connection leaves your data centre and travels across the country...
I implore you to give us the hard truth and just tell us... has the APAC community been deemed an acceptable lose?
If not, at what speeds do you realistically expect we should be playing at.

One last question, where are we supposed to be giving Keith this feed back data on our ping and performance issues? Do we just keep spamming the forums or do you have a system in place for us to send you the data?
Well... you could PM Keith here on the forums.
The Twi'lek Crusader
It is time for the Twi'lek species to receive new appearance customization options, because they have been neglected since launch.
If you agree with this... do please click on my referral link!

Tahana's Avatar


Tahana
10.26.2017 , 01:59 PM | #257
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time
You know, I've been sticking up for you guys about this.. But this.... this was a bad decision and it should never have been made. This should have been communicated in the United Forces update. Being in the tech industry I know this decision wasn't made and implemented over night. I know what it takes to make something like this happen. You knew well in advance of even posted the UF update that this was what in fact what was going to happen. (Well maybe not you specifically, but the people who were in on the decision certainly did).
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to
what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
10.26.2017 , 02:01 PM | #258
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Well... you could PM Keith here on the forums.
He is busy, heís admitted it himself that he canít look at all the PMs... a better solution would be to setup an official thread where we could post data
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
10.26.2017 , 02:02 PM | #259
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I appreciate the honesty here Eric...but damn man...not telling your customers ahead of time was LOW...you actually hid that information intentionally. I can't express how big of a mistake I believe that was.
And not even an apology
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
10.26.2017 , 02:05 PM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
He is busy, heís admitted it himself that he canít look at all the PMs... a better solution would be to setup an official thread where we could post data
He has often responded to my PM's he does say he forwards every PM to another member of the dev team, so I am sure that if you send it his way through here it will end up somewhere where it is supposed to go at Bioware
The Twi'lek Crusader
It is time for the Twi'lek species to receive new appearance customization options, because they have been neglected since launch.
If you agree with this... do please click on my referral link!