Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maintenance: October 24th, 2017

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Maintenance: October 24th, 2017
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dilemmas
10.25.2017 , 11:38 AM | #231
Quote: Originally Posted by Mdgshorty View Post
If it was located in Texas, the ping would not be as high as it currently is for the people on the west coast.
I'd be more interested to know what people's lowest recorded pings are in these cases, not so much the spikes (even if they're currently forming an average), which could be caused by technical issues on BW's side rather than the actual location.
For a Free 7 days of subscription, click my Referral Link. And if it's your first time clicking; a starter pack for new players, or for returning players; a free server transfer and special bundle!
Info

MerriwxOne
10.25.2017 , 01:02 PM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by DanNV View Post
Texas would be possible. The location the IP addresses claim is just the business office where they are registered and has nothing to do with the physical location. If they are in Texas, that's pretty central for most of the NA players (as opposed to New York or the like. Not that it helps the APAC people at all.
Not TX. My ping is worse and I'm in TX.
Another thing to look at is packet loss. I've always had crappy connection to their servers. I've said this before, but ALL of their servers were hosted in Redwood City, CA before, but not sure where they are now. My ping plotter has me routed through Level3 hops and getting 80-100% packet loss. It used to be 40-80%, but Harb gives me 3 bad hops now(Was 2), TRE is 200+ ping and 1 bad hop now(Was none), TEH is 4 bad hops now(was 2). I have talked, argued, been banned from calling, and account temp banned from talking with customer/technical support over the past 5yrs....NOW everyone else is having somewhat the same playing experience I've suffered through, and I'm even worse than before. Tried to play on JC yesterday and it is just unplayable...smashing no one when player was clearly there...heals not going through...can't backstab someone because they are not in the location I'm seeing them, missing taunts, not activating nodes, moving and players asking why I'm standing still.
I'm finally done...it will not get better, and reading that this was an improvement has put the finishing touch on it. This sucks, because I love Star Wars and this was a great game....just too many bugs and bad gameplay.

DanNV
10.25.2017 , 01:24 PM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by Mdgshorty View Post
If it was located in Texas, the ping would not be as high as it currently is for the people on the west coast.
Actually, based on what I am getting doing some speed testing to various places around the country, if I double what speedtest shows as the one way ping, I get the ping reported in the game when the servers were separate. To Northern CA, I get 12 and my ping to Harby used to be between 20 and 25. To the far East Coast (NY and GA) I get 68 and used to get about 100 ping in game to SL. I now get 85 to everything in game and to Austin Texas, Speed test shows 43. SO, I'd say Texas looks like a believable location. But I'd like to see what people on the East Coast are reporting for PING.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

Kaizersan
10.25.2017 , 04:05 PM | #234
Actually, based on what I am getting doing some speed testing to various places around the country, if I double what speedtest shows as the one way ping, I get the ping reported in the game when the servers were separate. To Northern CA, I get 12 and my ping to Harby used to be between 20 and 25. To the far East Coast (NY and GA) I get 68 and used to get about 100 ping in game to SL. I now get 85 to everything in game and to Austin Texas, Speed test shows 43. SO, I'd say Texas looks like a believable location. But I'd like to see what people on the East Coast are reporting for PING.
The servers are on the east coast not Texas dude.

DanNV
10.25.2017 , 05:04 PM | #235
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaizersan View Post
The servers are on the east coast not Texas dude.
Ping reports so far definitely look that way. Not a bright choice, but not surprising either.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

Kaizersan
10.25.2017 , 05:27 PM | #236
Ping reports so far definitely look that way. Not a bright choice, but not surprising either.
I say this because friends of mime from Austin Texas are getting the same ping times as before the change if they moved to Texas they would be incredibly low.

LordAppius
10.25.2017 , 05:39 PM | #237
Dead Game
Swtor ruined after 4.0

MikeTheDuke
10.25.2017 , 05:46 PM | #238
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hi all,

Today’s maintenance was part of the United Forces effort!

We have completed the upgrade of the Game Servers along with all their supporting infrastructure in the Data Centers. We made a large investment of new hardware and software and one of our primary goals was to substantially reduce our footprint while improving our overall server capacity. During our evaluation of the new servers, we determined we could also combine our North American datacenters. That also occurred today and we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

You’ll see the same Servers today that you saw yesterday. They’re just running on new hardware and, some, in different locations. As announced previously the move to the five (5) new Servers will be on Wednesday, November 8, 2017. At that time all Game Servers and the SWTOR website will be down for up to 12 hours. We’ll let you know the actual start time a few days before.

Report any specific issues you encounter to Customer Service as we’ve established an escalation process for critical issues. Please be a bit patient with us over the coming weeks as we unite players from a variety of servers and try to make this a smooth and painless process for everyone.

Cheers!

-Keith--
This is a disappointment to see from being in Australia and we are already suffering longer ping times than most on average I get about 200-250ms but lately and during increased server load it will shoot as high at 500ms when still connected, this is not those situations where you lose connection and waiting half a second is a significant increase.

I am sorry Keith it is nice you have reduced your footprint but to what end. Toe further disenfranchise players who have an increased ping time when things are good, let alone when things get bad. I personally find this a further kick in the teeth for Asia Pacific players especially in Australia. How much thought did you put into the current latency already seen in these region, knowing we will get them but understanding the impact on these when those in the US and in Europe do not see these kind of issues. This move I cannot congratulate you on, I am sorry.
I post about Star Wars on my blog. Check it out
http://xnagamedeveloper.wordpress.co...ory/star-wars/
MikeDodgers @YouTube

MikeTheDuke
10.25.2017 , 06:12 PM | #239
I just want to add. That increasing the ping times has an impact on gameplay. Examples of the fact that you can't invoke as many abilities just because of the time it takes for data to travel the physically distances (of which kinks will not be ironed out as a result), the other is also getting out of area affect damage, you see a circle on the ground, it has already been on the server for about 500ms before you see it, your reaction time, is 70ms, and you move the time travels back to the server, cast time is 1 second, you move out of the way on your screen but in the server's eye, you are still in the circle and you get hit by whatever is coming. THIS directly affect game play. I see this now. Many times I will see a cast of something, move to get out of the way and just purely because of lag and the time for data to travel to and from the server, I get hit, or fail to interrupt.

This change and see the issues with ping have gotten me really upset, having stuck around this game spent countless dollars on subs and copious more on cartel coins, and this has just further disappointed me. You truly have Keith and the gang, disappointed me, there is no other way to say or communicate it. Come and have a Cantina in Australia, see what the turn out would be like, this shows the large number of people in this country you have hurt. Then log onto to the game and just play and tell me how you cope with this ping time. But we aren't the only ones the only country affected by this. Is the cost of saving having an additional data centre offset by the potential loss of subs and subsequently CC purchases that will occur because of this change.

You have disappointed me you really have.
I post about Star Wars on my blog. Check it out
http://xnagamedeveloper.wordpress.co...ory/star-wars/
MikeDodgers @YouTube

Mavin
10.25.2017 , 10:09 PM | #240
My soild 150 ping from Korea is now a 200 to 400 ping, it is all over the place.