Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maintenance: October 24th, 2017

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Maintenance: October 24th, 2017
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DiamondDove
10.25.2017 , 06:17 AM | #221
Am I the only Aussie now experiencing an unplayable game?

I have gone from a (barely) playable 280 ms to (basically not playable) 390 ms on what was the west coast. The only reason I kept all of my toons on Harbinger was to keep my marginal ping - which is now lost. Actually, this is even slower than Shadowlands was for me previously. If I had known there was no speed advantage to staying, I would have moved to Shadowlands (for a number of reasons).

I do hope that you guys can restore the ping to what it was for us Aussies. I have never wanted to unsub, and I still don't, but most group play is inaccessible at such slow speeds. Paying for a game I can't play will be rather pointless.

PS apologies if there are already posts on this from others down under - I haven't had time to scan the whole thread.

PPS you could always recommission Dalborra, the 'good old days' of 40 ms were awesome!

PPPS having now read the thread, I see the last three of us APAC players all have an unplayable game, and can either watch the game as SWTOR PowerPoint or unsub .. it was fun while it lasted. So long, and thanks for the fish.
Havoc squad always helps ..... including by offering a referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/3QdVzT

VirtualMorrigan
10.25.2017 , 06:19 AM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by Dilemmas View Post
Yes, that's what I did.

If that could be false, then is there any way to find the real location for sure?
Not really. You get routed to their network, what happens in there is not transparent to the outside.

As an aside, I am a bit weirded out by the assumption in this and other threads that they moved hardware from datacenter A to B. I know game and technology are old, but if they are not running on virtualized environments, I'd be very surprised. So a move most likely is "just" syncing storage and redirecting traffic.

Dilemmas
10.25.2017 , 06:28 AM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by VirtualMorrigan View Post
Not really. You get routed to their network, what happens in there is not transparent to the outside.

As an aside, I am a bit weirded out by the assumption in this and other threads that they moved hardware from datacenter A to B. I know game and technology are old, but if they are not running on virtualized environments, I'd be very surprised. So a move most likely is "just" syncing storage and redirecting traffic.
I'm from the EU, so I went on both servers and checked the ping for a while; it mostly stayed in the 98-105 (ignoring spikes) range on both Harb and JC, tried a traceroute too and got pings in the 90s for both servers.

Is this anything to go on? I'd figure I'd receive a much more varying ping from actual West Coast and East Coast locations.
For a Free 7 days of subscription, click my Referral Link. And if it's your first time clicking; a starter pack for new players, or for returning players; a free server transfer and special bundle!
Info

Exocor
10.25.2017 , 07:54 AM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by Rzfk View Post
you guys there at EA will probably see all of the Australians leave the game now. WELL DONE!!!!!!!

up until now Australians could not do enough DPS to clear Master Mode Ops, but now going from 200~ ms to 500+ ms there is not hope of us clearing Veteran Mode Ops. GREAT JOB!

do u guys understand that latency = DPS so by increasing our latency by triple we have now gone from doing 7.5k - 8.5K DPS to now only doing 5k - 6k~ DPS.

STOP REDUCING OUR ABILITY TO CLEAR CONTENT.

You guys that work on this game should come and play it from here in Australia and find out how much Australians hate connecting to American Servers and having to put up with 500 MS or higher.

we usually where sitting on 2 bars for the latency thing under the mini map but now we sit on a red bar all the time now. GREAT JOB!
I tanked Master Mode Brontes with jumping pings from 50 to 700 ms at one evening. It was painful, but we did it.
In swtor, you have an ability queue window of up to 1,5s. So, even with 500 ms, you have 1 second left. With an consistent ping of 500 ms, it should be possible, to maintain a proper rotation.
What I doubt is things with the need of short reaction times. Just imagine Brontes Burn and you trying to cc-break and pop a dcd before Fire&Forget hits you or other stuff like pvp.... I wish you good luck and a better ping somewhere in the near future, but i doubt, that BW opens a server in Australia or even at us-west coast.
Infinitas Coryak - Tulak Hord Nox
--
Check our Sale Offers!

ChadCloman
10.25.2017 , 08:02 AM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times.
Um... wasn't reduced latency the whole purpose of having a West Coast server located on the West Coast? Now agreed, most people don't really need single-digit pings, but there are those PvPers and NiM ops teams that will notice a difference.

I understand this saves money and makes maintenance and patches easier, but WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?

#facepalm

SmartAbyss
10.25.2017 , 09:03 AM | #226
Hello BioWare and Keith,

This change was not announced well in advance of its implementation, which is a far cry from the transparency we were as a community hoping for. That said, even with a proper announcement I can not say I'd find this remotely acceptable. The West Coast is a sizeable part of the country, and thus also your largest NA server prior to the merges. Not providing those players on the West Coast or APAC players the opportunity to play on a reasonable MS server, is not good business practice. While it may be economical to have only EC datacenters, it is not ethical to force so many people into a seeming permanent state of being second-class/second-rate. Many of us already experienced non-playable MS rates on your Harbinger server, now we're getting considerably worse pings? How is that not going to impact gameplay performance? I'm in California, and I now walk through Oricon with 440ms as my most consistent ms, frequently spiking to 600-1000ms. How am I supposed to raid in this game now?

I'll be writing a more detailed ticket to customer service, I just felt the need to write here as well.

~ Glor
Glor
GM of <Sniper Science>
Admin of The Satele Shan Raiding Discord
Waken's Backup Singer May 2016-present

Dilemmas
10.25.2017 , 10:27 AM | #227
I made a couple observations that I think are pretty interesting, using the site https://gsuite.tools/traceroute

Let's first look at the hops made by The Harbinger (East Coast, IP 159.153.65.219), and by Jedi Covenant (West Coast, IP 159.153.65.234) - they both go through Texas and end in California.

Now, let's look at an EU server; TRE (159.153.78.101) - the hops end in CA also, kind of strange for an EU server, yeah? But actually, instead of jumping through Texas on it's way to CA, it hops through Ireland. It's been known for a while that EU servers are based in Ireland, so that hop before CA must be the actual server. If we follow that logic then we should assume that all US servers (both WC and EC) are actually currently located in Texas, near Houston.

That's where my logic takes me anyway.
For a Free 7 days of subscription, click my Referral Link. And if it's your first time clicking; a starter pack for new players, or for returning players; a free server transfer and special bundle!
Info

DanNV
10.25.2017 , 10:40 AM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by ChadCloman View Post
Um... wasn't reduced latency the whole purpose of having a West Coast server located on the West Coast? Now agreed, most people don't really need single-digit pings, but there are those PvPers and NiM ops teams that will notice a difference.

I understand this saves money and makes maintenance and patches easier, but WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?

#facepalm
Unfortunately, you answered your own question. Renting service space gets expensive, providing bandwidth into data centers is even more so. I expect consolidating into one rack in one data center saved them a LOT of cash. There are no longer enough players to support multiple data centers, etc. My only question would be why the location they picked (wherever it is) and why continue 2 NA servers if they are in the same rack?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

DanNV
10.25.2017 , 10:43 AM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by Dilemmas View Post
I made a couple observations that I think are pretty interesting, using the site https://gsuite.tools/traceroute
(snip)
Texas would be possible. The location the IP addresses claim is just the business office where they are registered and has nothing to do with the physical location. If they are in Texas, that's pretty central for most of the NA players (as opposed to New York or the like. Not that it helps the APAC people at all.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

Mdgshorty
10.25.2017 , 11:09 AM | #230
If it was located in Texas, the ping would not be as high as it currently is for the people on the west coast.
Star Forge
Sparkal - Scoundrel - Enduring Dawn
Sparkala - Scoundrel - COTP

7 Days free subscription time + free stuff = http://www.swtor.com/r/nKJJWc