Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maintenance: October 24th, 2017

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Maintenance: October 24th, 2017
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Trogusaurus
10.25.2017 , 10:43 PM | #241
You people just screwed over a huge portion of your player base, and you knew about this well in advance. So you just now inform us in some cavalier manner after the fact, as if moving all of the NA servers to the East Coast was some insignificant decision made in afterthought. I and most other people in the APAC/Western regions would completely understand if you made this announcement as a key change in your Roadmap announcement, and just being honest about your reasons for doing so. But it's clear that you have so little respect for your community that you didn't even have the decency to do that.

This crew has made some extremely seedy decisions in the past, but this one takes the cake. My server lag tripled overnight, with no explanation as to why until I heard about the move from another player. I was already on the fence about renewing my sub at the end of the month, but this may finally be the straw that broke the camel's back. I highly doubt I'm alone, either. Shame on you, Bioware, and shame on everyone else up the latter that was involved in this asinine decision. You deserve every bit of criticism and income loss for this dogsh*t move, and I hope your branch closes entirely by the year's end for all the dishonesty. Good riddance.

vadess
10.25.2017 , 10:48 PM | #242
*reads all the ticked off people who were INSISTING and pushing for server merges, regardless of the concerns of the people who did not want it.*

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Eshvara
10.25.2017 , 11:54 PM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by vadess View Post
*reads all the ticked off people who were INSISTING and pushing for server merges, regardless of the concerns of the people who did not want it.*

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
I don't get why people keep saying this. But then again, people generally love to be petty and spiteful.
Nobody asked for this, people just want to play with more people and get the most out of their game.
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

BrightShadow
10.26.2017 , 01:53 AM | #244
Hello. Founding member here, spent hundreds of dollars on this game over the years.
Let me tell you how I feel about this server data center move...

AARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Ive gone from having around 16ms ping to 80ms. The game actually lies to players, stating that you will begin to notice degradation in gameplay at 1 bar (of 4), when many of us can visually see player movement stuttering around 100ms, which is fairly immersion breaking. My ping time to the server has gone up by x5! I'm in California near San Francisco, and have fiber internet. This is horrid, and a back-stab to many of your loyal customers. with no forewarning, or real consideration. Instead a drastic change was done without informing anyone until it was already done to try to prevent what is happening now, the backlash of people who are angry with your decision. After logging in the game I lost my desire to play, and am now seriously considering never playing again despite my investment. Do you understand how big of a deal that is for the continued life of this game and community? Do you realize how this will impact how I (and many others) look at you as a company for the rest of our life?? Some will still play on of course, but for many this anger will be connected to EVERY game you produce.

Whoever is in charge of this decision should probably be fired because they have ruined the PR of Bioware. I am connected to many gamers who often want to know what MMOs are fun and viable, well guess what I will tell them about SWTOR and Bioware?

Either fix this blunder, or face decades of consequence over this.

BrightShadow
10.26.2017 , 02:33 AM | #245
And I want to add that there are many who feel the same as me, but are not represented here because they are not current subscribers, and after this definitely don't want to subscribe solely to complain on the forums. I am lucky that my ping is still below 100, but there are a great many players who are not so fortunate, and regardless the way this was handled was horrible.

Plus there's a full blown merger coming. I have many characters on many servers, and bought extra slots to have those characters. When the servers merge, I will effectively be losing character slots/characters, and even legacies potentially, because I don't expect them to be conscious enough to do a good job. It's literally shameful.

Trogusaurus
10.26.2017 , 04:24 AM | #246
"The United Forces update expands your connection to a galactic-sized community of players. We will be integrating our existing seventeen servers to five new servers, one for each existing region and language." ---10/2 UF Roadmap update

That post aged really well, didn't it, Devs?

Korenus
10.26.2017 , 11:43 AM | #247
Well... this explains why my connection suddenly bounces more than a kid on a trampoline (I wanted to use a different colloquialism but didn't want my post to get deleted). I'll go from full to connection to 1 bar at the drop of a frickin hat. Great job BioWare, and here I was being all optimistic with y'all...
Click for cool stuff!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."- Helen Keller

Elssha
10.26.2017 , 11:59 AM | #248
I have ~60d of sub time remainging, but I unsub'd today. the ping can hit 200 when before it was 25. Obviously west coast players aren't BW's target audience so there's no point in taking west coast money. It's a shame, too, things were just getting good with the ops community we've built, too.

DWho
10.26.2017 , 12:00 PM | #249
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
I don't get why people keep saying this. But then again, people generally love to be petty and spiteful.
Nobody asked for this, people just want to play with more people and get the most out of their game.
Mostly they say it because of the things that were said to them when they complained about the server merges. Things like "if you don't like it go play another game" and " Stop arguing about it server merges are happening" and "you lost". That doesn't make the spite any more correct now than it was then but it is understandable.

EricMusco
10.26.2017 , 01:33 PM | #250 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

As many of you know, on Tuesday Keith explained that in preparation for United Forces we moved all current west coast servers into our Virginia data center. Here’s some of the key questions we have received about the North American datacenter change:

Why not communicate this ahead of time?
We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience. This meant we could quickly start gathering feedback on what you were seeing in-game (more on this in the next question). However, we have seen posts from players who made specific decisions based on location (such as character transfers) and we will be in touch with them to discuss. To ensure there is no confusion about this update in-game, we adjusted the server selection screen to reflect that all NA servers are on the east coast.

My ping has gone up since the change and it is affecting my gameplay, what options do I have?
Please continue to report it! As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible. We will be working through this especially over the next two weeks as we ramp up to United Forces.

Could there be one data center in the Central US so that pings are more even for each coast?
Creating an entirely new datacenter is a daunting task, even above and beyond the substantial changes we have already made this year. This just isn’t something that was viable in the scope of the changes we made for United Forces.

Since all of NA is in one datacenter, shouldn’t we just have one server?
Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server. This would introduce several challenges: 1) Players would likely experience queues accessing the server and 2) It would increase the chances for server instability and downtime. There are also a variety of other issues, but a key concern was combining all of North America would result in substantially more character name collisions.

We hope this answers some of your questions and lets you know what’s going to happen over the next couple weeks. Please remember, on November 8th we will move all players to their new servers during an extended maintenance (currently looking like 12 hours). We are also discussing starting a few hours earlier than usual (e.g., 2 or 3am CT), but will let you know a few days beforehand.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]