I saved another planet!!! ....again...

FooBard

ETA: But I feel like level 50 imperial storyline should've been about

supporting Malgus's new Empire. Abandoning rank among the Sith makes more sense than thousands of Dark Council members running around.

But what would be the point of that?

In the end,

Malgus fails. Or at least that's what we know. So you would still end up abandoning rank among the Sith, albeit forcibly.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what would be the point of that?

In the end,

Malgus fails. Or at least that's what we know. So you would still end up abandoning rank among the Sith, albeit forcibly.

Well,

Malgus fails because you and your group break into his place, trash all his stuff and kill him. If you hadn't done that... he's got a super-powered stealth armada with alien troops and tech equal to or better than the Empire's stuff, you know.

If you had joined him instead, he'd be sitting pretty well, I think.

But defecting from the mainline Sith Empire would require a new spacedock, probably. Bah.

Edited by Guancyto

Don't be to sad I'm not only a key member of the Dark Counsel but the second most powerful force user in the galaxy next to the emperor, But I can't gain access to my office on dromund kaas after my big making the empire in my own image speech. I check everyday but it's still red.

Go figure i needed to pay the rent still.

Gave me my laugh for the day thx :D

The good news for the OP is that much of the new content is story-less PVP areas or Flashpoints with little voice work needed.

Personally, I would have rather this game be a Single Player game. But it's not. They made it into a MMO. But they have always said that it would be Story-Driven. And I have to say they did a pretty good job with that. I don't think SWTOR has a monopoly on saving the world quests either.

I had never really done this, but I had to stop for a moment and say, “Wait, I did nothing of the sort! There are hundreds of other hero’s here that are doing the same thing!” And when I rode off on my speeder, dodging blaster fire from all the exact same mobs that I “saved them from”, the feeling was even emptier.

What you're describing is mimesis-breaking and it's common in games but in MMOs -- particularly those that strive for story -- it might be impossible to avoid. After all, on Korriban I can see twenty Khem Val's running around. Nothing kills immersion in a story than something like that -- if you go solely for that kind of immersion.

When you go to a planet, no matter how many mobs you kill, they always respawn thus it seems like you have no effect whatsoever. Whatever you just blew up: it's still there for the next player. The big bad boss you just killed: he's back again. The same guys I just helped from a crashed spaceship are STILL at that crashed spaceship.

A consequence-persistent world that never breaks immersion seems unlikely in an MMO because it's a shared space. The events of consequence only have relevance (from an immersion standpoint) if you don't notice that everything you just did has been "reset" save for your memory of the event. I suppose the good thing is that the area where you did your story deeds is often closed off once you've done them so at least that part is not thrown in your face.

I have to admit that as a new player to MMOs this is something I initially struggled with since nothing seemed like it really mattered, given that everything was pretty much in the same state after as it was before.

What you're describing is mimesis-breaking and it's common in games but in MMOs -- particularly those that strive for story -- it might be impossible to avoid. After all, on Korriban I can see twenty Khem Val's running around. Nothing kills immersion in a story than something like that -- if you go solely for that kind of immersion.

When you go to a planet, no matter how many mobs you kill, they always respawn thus it seems like you have no effect whatsoever. Whatever you just blew up: it's still there for the next player. The big bad boss you just killed: he's back again. The same guys I just helped from a crashed spaceship are STILL at that crashed spaceship.

A consequence-persistent world that never breaks immersion seems unlikely in an MMO because it's a shared space. The events of consequence only have relevance (from an immersion standpoint) if you don't notice that everything you just did has been "reset" save for your memory of the event. I suppose the good thing is that the area where you did your story deeds is often closed off once you've done them so at least that part is not thrown in your face.

I have to admit that as a new player to MMOs this is something I initially struggled with since nothing seemed like it really mattered, given that everything was pretty much in the same state after as it was before.

Yes we are all experiencing "Groundhog Day" Syndrome! :eek:

:D

Sometimes I wonder if people in this forum play games at all, would it shock you to know you weren't the only one playing as the dragonborn in skyrim?

I don't that that is FooBard's point.

I mean I KNOW *I* am "the chosen one" it's just the rest of you that are pretenders. :D

Edited by Urael

I don't that that is FooBard's point.

I mean I KNOW *I* am "the chosen one" it's just the rest of you that are pretenders. :D

I think it's exactly the point he's trying to make, he's complaining about being the "chosen one" who suddenly appears and fix everything in a world full of helpless halfwits and it's a glory he has to share with thousands of others with the same accomplishment, just like 90% of all games these days

Oh look, another QQ thread that reeks of trolling.

This is the only troll post I've seen so far in this thread. Good job mate.

I got quite a kick out of a lot of the responses though. heh. :D

I guess though I didn't sound out my concern clearly enough.

What I was really trying to say is, "MOST" of the area quests.... would have suited me far better if they would have been more to the tune of "Thanks for the help!", rather than "Thanks for saving our planet!".

.... if that makes sense.

Yea, I get that each person gets to experience that "hero" affect... but when we go overboard with it... it quickly losed its savor.

This is the only troll post I've seen so far in this thread. Good job mate.

I got quite a kick out of a lot of the responses though. heh. :D

I guess though I didn't sound out my concern clearly enough.

What I was really trying to say is, "MOST" of the area quests.... would have suited me far better if they would have been more to the tune of "Thanks for the help!", rather than "Thanks for saving our planet!".

Yea, I get that each person gets to experience that "hero" affect... but when we go overboard with it... it quickly losed its savor.

_AND_ if they ARE so greatful why don't the reward us better!!! .. IF I had a capital ship ... those guns would so be trained on Taris and Balmoraa!! :D

What else will they do? Would people enjoy a story where your just some random person?

Take the Trooper storyline for example. Instead of doing all the herioc things you do (i wont spoil), would you rather have act 3 as "Your on Guard duty! Patrol around the base for a few hours until your shift is over" Level up!

Personally I LOVE how you are supposed to be the ONLY hero who saves the day all the time... well or 4 of you in flashpoints, instead of other MMOs where some Major NPC always gets all the credit for YOUR work, and you either don't get mentioned at all, or get some silly 'and these brave heroes' line at best.

It's the first MMO that makes you feel like YOU actually did something meaningful for once and the story truly revolves around your character.

I mean THIS: http://youtu.be/4W4KIEoo9So is much more satisfying than THIS:

And THIS:

is much more satisfying than THIS:
, etc
Edited by Aelther

You have it all wrong....

You're not playing the "Chosen One". You are playing a brain damaged lunatic who the whole universe is humouring. Oh sure, they tell you that you saved Alderaan from an Imperial invasion.

I checked.... After I saved it, it's still in exactly the same condition it was before I even arrived.

I'm even beginning to suspect the whole universe is just an elaborate re-enactment of something important that happened to the real "Chosen One". I swear Bob The Sith outside that Republic base keeps getting up and resuming his position every few minutes. I mean if they were really well-trained Imperials, they should be harder to kill than one-armed geriatric toll both attendants. Something is fishy.

arent all mmos single player action with other people running around at some point? I mean hell ive saved origamar countless times bymyself and ****** all over the rifts while closing them.

Seems like the op hasnt dont much socializing on this game lol. With an atittude like that, you will never find a game to be happy with. Evar!

You have it all wrong....

You're not playing the "Chosen One". You are playing a brain damaged lunatic who the whole universe is humouring. Oh sure, they tell you that you saved Alderaan from an Imperial invasion.

I checked.... After I saved it, it's still in exactly the same condition it was before I even arrived.

I'm even beginning to suspect the whole universe is just an elaborate re-enactment of something important that happened to the real "Chosen One". I swear Bob The Sith outside that Republic base keeps getting up and resuming his position every few minutes. I mean if they were really well-trained Imperials, they should be harder to kill than one-armed geriatric toll both attendants. Something is fishy.

Well they can't instance every single planet now, can they? Well they can, but then everyone will cry how it's even more single-player than before...

BW makes RPGs. Single character focused. That is what they know and that is how they write and that is how they wrote SWTOR. This is yet another thing that "wasn't thought through" very well. :rolleyes:

Bioware makes roleplaying games? I thought they made movies where players' can play anything they want, as long as it's the character they wrote for you.

Well they can't instance every single planet now, can they? Well they can, but then everyone will cry how it's even more single-player than before...

Or they could make a giant open world with an ongoing, endless conflict where heroes are everywhere but none are super-human enough to change the world on their own.

I think they call it an MMO.

Oh it's time for this thread again? I'll have to check my calendar. Well, let me get out the standard response:

It's a MMORPG. They all work like this. In City of Heroes I and 23 of my closest friends defeated Emperor Cole...then we did it again. In Everquest II, my guild and I defeated the great dragons of old....then people started one grouping them when the level range expanded. In WoW, the almighty Lich King fell....200-300 times a week.

1/10 Try harder OP.

Or they could make a giant open world with an ongoing, endless conflict where heroes are everywhere but none are super-human enough to change the world on their own.

I don't want to play a MMO like that. I want to play a MMO like this. If you don't, there are literally hundreds of other games that might fit your needs. Beats complaining on a message board.

And you are free to go play any of them, I always viewed SWTOR as an MMO for MMO haters and so I'm here. Sure it has it's problems but making your character special is definitely NOT ONE OF THEM.

And other MMOs have your so called " super-human"s who change the world as well, it's just that they are all NPCs

I mean THIS: http://youtu.be/4W4KIEoo9So is much more satisfying than THIS:

And THIS:

is much more satisfying than THIS:
, etc
Edited by Aelther

arent all mmos single player action with other people running around at some point? I mean hell ive saved origamar countless times bymyself and ****** all over the rifts while closing them.

Seems like the op hasnt dont much socializing on this game lol. With an atittude like that, you will never find a game to be happy with. Evar!

True but WoW had it so after you beat a quest line the random enemy npcs changed. The only example I can recall is Sentinel Hill around Cata. After you did the local level 15 (think it was 15, could have been 20) storyline the random troll/orcs turned into Defia Brotherhood members.

i understand and share your feeling, hate when they make me some sort of demi-god responsable for the salvation of the galaxy.... i mean, i certanly don't want my character to be a no-named random who nobody recognises becouse he has never atchived anything heroic and extremely difficult, but i neither want him to be the sole responsable for the fate of planets.

Edited by YeIIow