The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

renegadeimp

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some people have issue with this guide, hoever, the point of this guide is aimed at those for who buying or upgrading their system just simply isn't a possibilty.

I also went into detail, so if there are any errors it is easy for the user to restore settings. You may not agree with this guide, however a LOT of people have gotten much more performance out of their machines by using it.

Renegadeimp, this guide was fantastic for me. I'm hitting obscene frame rates at good times, where I used to not be able to break 4 FPS. Thank you very much.

I still suffer times where my frame rate tanks, but I had this problem in WOW as well. I have no idea what it is. In WOW, if I restart my comp, it's fine again. It's better if I turn the video options down.

In SWTOR, I can just play through it, frame rates down around 8, then after awhile it goes back up to 20 to 30, or even up to 35 to 50, where it'll stay awhile before it tanks again.

Again, though, I think your guide gave me the ability to play SWTOR, and I'm grateful.

Hi. Can someone help? Should I do this guide? Im running a hp pavilion dv7 laptop I did a comparison against the minimum requirements for swtor and passed them by far.. yet even on the lowest settings I cant seem to get more than 5 fps.. the games virtually unplayable.. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi. Can someone help? Should I do this guide? Im running a hp pavilion dv7 laptop I did a comparison against the minimum requirements for swtor and passed them by far.. yet even on the lowest settings I cant seem to get more than 5 fps.. the games virtually unplayable.. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

This guide works on any system running windows 7. I advise against running it on other operating systems.

If you perform the functions in the guide correctly, and make a system restore point before each part of the guide, you will be guaranteed to see some performance increases.

Renegadeimp, this guide was fantastic for me. I'm hitting obscene frame rates at good times, where I used to not be able to break 4 FPS. Thank you very much.

I still suffer times where my frame rate tanks, but I had this problem in WOW as well. I have no idea what it is. In WOW, if I restart my comp, it's fine again. It's better if I turn the video options down.

In SWTOR, I can just play through it, frame rates down around 8, then after awhile it goes back up to 20 to 30, or even up to 35 to 50, where it'll stay awhile before it tanks again.

Again, though, I think your guide gave me the ability to play SWTOR, and I'm grateful.

Have you got the latest drivers for your GPU, if so, it could be a GPU issue, or simply evidence of the memory leak that is currently in this game.

Wow. I am running a three year old system, that started with XP on it, and now has seven. I run SWTOR on max everything, no trouble. TOR uses very little in the way of resources, memory or processing speed, compared to other MMORPG's on the market. You really don't need to do anything other than meet the min. requirements, which are higher than the actual minimum needed to play. Edited by Sindorin

Thanks for this guide! Its not just useful for low and mid systems either.

I run an intel I5 2500k, a pair of radeon HD 6870s, and 8 gigs of ram, and I still noticed performance improvement with some of these changes.

I am curious if there is somewhere to learn more in depth detail about theme and aero customization. I want to tinker and find a middle ground between the utter spartan appearance of fully disabling it all (plus disabling themes under the services. That one really made things look bland). Any recommended links on learning more about what is or isn't a part of aero, as well as tinkering with themes?

Wow. I am running a three year old system, that started with XP on it, and now has seven. I run SWTOR on max everything, no trouble. TOR uses very little in the way of resources, memory or processing speed, compared to other MMORPG's on the market. You really don't need to do anything other than meet the min. requirements, which are higher than the actual minimum needed to play.

***.. no chance.

Tons of people who are above minimum specs can hardly play the game at all.

Great Write up OP, I took from your tweaking tips :).. disabling my OS timeout made my bootup time less than 25 seconds (i timed it!) thank you raid 0!

Regards to the Win7 using a lot memory at idle times

(task manager > performance)..

Okay, see how it idles at 20%+ usage? This is on purpose and it is not caused by system task like in vista

the design behind this is-

The OS is design to only uses and caches memory that is AVAILABLE, meaning, if it is not being used, the OS will cache it

Why?

The concept of using the available cache memory is, when memory is cached and being used, it is able to spread to those that need it more, much faster than if it was not being use.

The difference is only a few milliseconds at first(seconds for some) but as more and more programs open, the transfer time increases..

Used cached memory is better then dead or unused memory..

the OS doesn't require this much memory, it is just a function vista and win7 have which is why it is consider faster than xp.. (except vista... that was a trial and error OS... yay)

to put this in better words ...

Think of the OS as a weapon, a gun..

you have a Gun that has the bullet chambered and the hammer cocked (windows 7)

I have a gun what has NO bullet in the chamber and the hammer against the pin (XP)

the other person doesn't know what a gun is (vista)

So you (windows 7) will be able to fire that gun faster than i would (xp) because you already have the gun cocked and loaded where I still need to pull the slide back, pull the hammer back and fire... assuming its not a double action :)

So for those who say XP is faster because when idle, your memory is at 1% usage whereas windows 7 has the memory showing 20% usage at idle, think again :).

Wow. I am running a three year old system, that started with XP on it, and now has seven. I run SWTOR on max everything, no trouble. TOR uses very little in the way of resources, memory or processing speed, compared to other MMORPG's on the market. You really don't need to do anything other than meet the min. requirements, which are higher than the actual minimum needed to play.

because XP doesn't support Dx11, you're game will never look as good as my game...

so i can see why you're machine has more available resources, because they are not needed..

If this is true, can you please post your specs and your dxdiag log, as i am very interested in why you ar ethe only one out of hundreds of thousands of players that can do this.

If you are talking the truth, then i can update my guide with a few steps.

because XP doesn't support Dx11, you're game will never look as good as my game...

so i can see why you're machine has more available resources, because they are not needed..

SWTOR doesn't use DX11. Uses DX9 like the ones you got on XP.

Edited by Andbax

Excellent work here, thank you very much for the info and I've already put some of it to use.

One question for yall though, I've used McAfee for the past few years since I heard it was less of a system hog than Norton, is that still the case?

Excellent work here, thank you very much for the info and I've already put some of it to use.

One question for yall though, I've used McAfee for the past few years since I heard it was less of a system hog than Norton, is that still the case?

Both of them have downfalls. It's less of a resource hog, but it basically locks down your system so you might have trouble doing even the basic of things.

I used to be a fan of mcafee, until it got popular. Now it does the same as norton, and norton is one of the worst AV's on the planet.

Currently i use the premium version of Nod32, albeit modified.

Both of them have downfalls. It's less of a resource hog, but it basically locks down your system so you might have trouble doing even the basic of things.

I used to be a fan of mcafee, until it got popular. Now it does the same as norton, and norton is one of the worst AV's on the planet.

Currently i use the premium version of Nod32, albeit modified.

Cool cool, thanks again. My system is mid-range at best so I'm trying things in increments, I have:

-Windows 7 (Home)

-i5 2.4 gb

-4gb ram

-ATI Radeon HD 4570

....and there are a lot of things that I have for convenience like the Dell Dock that are just taking up resources, and while I'd love to keep them I also want a smooth performance on mid-level graphics so I may have to part with them.

Thanks again.