Why does the empire get the best accents???

ralphieceaser

Seriously, this isnt even balanced by faction

All the great and fabulous British accents are in the empire

Sith warrior, imperial agent and sith inquisitor have the greatest, most soft and beautiful voices and the republic is stuck with some generic boring wannabe rambo voices(bounty hunter included)

You give 3 great accents to the empire and none to the republic

As I recall it was a story/lore flavor decision.

The "contemporary" SW galaxy is clearly a mix. The idea here was that empire and republic developed in isolation from each other for a while which also got reflected on their accents. In the end the galaxy has to consolidate in time for OT and the accents are the remnants of the former division/result of 2 cultures clashing and eventually merging. So every time you watch the OT you now know why EXACTLY tTarkin and co sound as they do. Their grand-grand-grand-...-grand daddy picked it up on DK. :p

Star Wars draws greatly from real world history.

The Empire is based upon the old British Empire in their empire building days when they controlled the economy of most of the known world. They preached their ideals of Liberty and free people ... for everyone except the cultures they literally enslaved.

The New Republic is based more on new world nations and the modern American "empire" which honestly is sort of more of the same ... Liberty (was founded by the puritans from England anyway so basically is just the newer British Empire) and world economic domination.

I won't further go into the "real world" aspect of this but the core irony of the "Empire" based on the old British Empire (300 years of dominance) is that the empire was build upon Liberty for it's people and the downfall of monarchy or totalitarian rule but then evolved into a capitalist nation creating an entirely new social ruling class and horribly enslaved worker class with flat out enslavement of other nations.

The story of the Republic is similar to America. New ideals and new hopes but eventually stagnation, creation of a new ruling class and empire building when the founders promised against it. The same old and the story of Swtor reflects this. Each side thinks they are morally superior and even socially superior with normal citizens stuck between the conflict.

The accents in game simply strengthen this concept.

The Empire "suits" had what you might call British accents (despite there being loads of accents in this country most of which sound nothing alike) because Ep4 was filmed over here so they got local actors to fill the roles.

That really is about it. Anything else is what you might call "back lore" if such a thing exists. Having said that, a large percentage of EU stuff is exactly that.

I am in love with the male Inquisitor voice and he has the same accent as me so it's a comfortable familiarity :)

Truth be told, I didn't initially take much notice of the Imperial accents because I'm so used to them already. It was the Republic ones, especially the Hunter's that stood out for me.

British = Baddie.

Besides, it's as much fun to kill a British-voiced npc as much as it is to be a British-voiced player doing the killing.

:D

This. :cool:

Edited by AelixVII

Brits always get to play the baddies in Hollywood movies, so it's an extension of that really. And yeah, I love Bertie Carvel's male Imp Agent, totally sells that character and one of the best voice overs and storylines in the game.

It's noticeable that whilst the Imp Agent, Sith Inquisitor and Sith Warrior voices are all Brit, both the male and female Bounty Hunter voices are American. Perhaps this is because they are more neutral in the storyline and not part of the Empire.

Seriously, this isnt even balanced by faction

All the great and fabulous British accents are in the empire

Sith warrior, imperial agent and sith inquisitor have the greatest, most soft and beautiful voices and the republic is stuck with some generic boring wannabe rambo voices(bounty hunter included)

You give 3 great accents to the empire and none to the republic

Female scoundrel has the best voice acting in the game IMO. Male scoundrel is good too. Otherwise I prefer the imps (male SW and female SI, but saying the republic get nothing but "boring wannabe rambo voices" is perhaps going a bit too far.

Hmmmmm...

Go watch the original trilogy. All the imperials have British accents, all the rebels are American, cept Obi-Wan.:rolleyes:

Sure, but for me that was because the core worlds speak British and the fringe speaks American, it wasn't about their affiliation with a political group that made them speak one or the other... so I would have liked it to see it the other way around in SWTOR, that the Republic speaks British while the Empire speaks something else, people on Tatooine and other fringe worlds still could have American accents.

It started with Irvin Kershner in Ep. V. He wanted the Empire to speak with British accents and the Rebels in American accents. Before that it was mainly the result of casting Peter Cushing, who came to define the Imperial officer and filming most indoor scenes in the UK with local actors as opposed to a grand plan or theme thought up by Lucas. Edited by CKHelseth

Hmmmmm...

Go watch the original trilogy. All the imperials have British accents, all the rebels are American, cept Obi-Wan.:rolleyes:

Wrong, most of the Imperials are British, not all, and most of the Rebellion is American, but there is the odd British rebel not Just Obi Wan, although as one of the most Famous British actors of his Generation, he on his own is enough (yes I saw the roll eyes).

Brits always get to play the baddies in Hollywood movies, so it's an extension of that really. And yeah, I love Bertie Carvel's male Imp Agent, totally sells that character and one of the best voice overs and storylines in the game.

It's noticeable that whilst the Imp Agent, Sith Inquisitor and Sith Warrior voices are all Brit, both the male and female Bounty Hunter voices are American. Perhaps this is because they are more neutral in the storyline and not part of the Empire.

That's because Baddies have to sound intelligent, well usually. Hero's on the other hand can have dumb luck. Seriously though, could you imagine Tom Cruise try to play the Baddie in Die Hard, he just couldn't pull off the Intelligent Menace needed for the role.

I wonder how the actual british people feel about this. Do they get really bored with playing imperials? Like aww I did not buy this game to hear this again!

As an actual British person I very much enjoy being the evil badguy with the fancy accent. :p

It reminds us of the good old days when we used to rule the world...

Edited by MikdiBoken

I wonder how the actual british people feel about this. Do they get really bored with playing imperials? Like aww I did not buy this game to hear this again!

We rather like it old boy, it's a state of mind more than anything. I don't understand how you Seppos enjoy being typecast as Republic scum?

Oh god no. It's nice to play a character who shares your accent rather than playing yet another American. As has already been stated, it's especially nice when the character shares your specific speech-pattern when it does not pertain to one of the two British stereotypes (Queen's English and cockney respectively). This is actually largely part of why I enjoy playing my Sith Assassin so much.

That's because Baddies have to sound intelligent, well usually. Hero's on the other hand can have dumb luck. Seriously though, could you imagine Tom Cruise try to play the Baddie in Die Hard, he just couldn't pull off the Intelligent Menace needed for the role.

yep, bounty hunter sounds as dumb as any herp derp grant, even Mandalore says that mako is the brains behind the bh lol

We need more great smooth british voices!

Empire gets the best accents because the world has magically decided that British people naturally make for great bad guys.

That said, if you want to break that type-casting then I am for it, I will trade you the Sith Inqusitor VA for the Republic Trooper VA. It would be beyond funny to have a Sith telling Satele Shan to get stuffed by the same voice Actor.