Bad healer needs help

Only way I see mobs on healer is when they are not hit at all or there is agro dump / no agro list mechanic ... healing agro is no issue for any sane tank over same mob.

Large part of it due this over-healing mechanics ... other games had it backward - over-heal was multiplied as agro.y

Most of it is bad players mechanic, tanks not taunting and dps not following kill order. Edited by mikebevo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, aggro drop won't save me if anyone else doesnt have threat on mob. But with bad tank and DPS it still can be SOME use tough I admit, these situations are very few.

I've been running a bunch of random FP lately on my fresh 55 sage, she is already geared, but I leveled her DPS so I am teaching myself how to heal properly on her and I am after Social Points. Anyways I do see what you mean. DPS with tunnel vision only going after strong and elite targets and tanks not paying attention to the healer. Don't even get me started on gear, but there is a serious problem when the healer has more HP than the tank, and both dps combined. Then I am not helping matters, because of my gear level I am able to kill the weak mobs by spamming Force Quake and still keep everyone on their feet. So I am reenforcing bad habits that may not work if they get a fresh 55 healer that hasn't been healing since launch and hasn't used legacy and credits to gear.

I will say I am having to use cloud mind in some HMFPs when I get lucky enough to have groups ungeared for the content. I am having to DPS some and for the first time in 2 plus years playing this game as a healer I am pulling from tank, but it is entirely from doing dps and that is entirely from me having so much better gear than some of these players entering group finder. I have always been opposed to gearscore for group finder, but I am really starting to see the other sides point. :)

I healed a Cademimu where the tank stood in the fire died then cried. I stated cant heal thru the fire he said of sorry my bad. One of the dps stood and burned with him. Myself and the other dps finished near full health easily without them.

Yeah had that happen to me on my Sorc, the only living person was also a Sorc , seeing two Sorcs down a boss with half health is really something:p

Sorry for the hijack ;)

Also OP how far have you leveled your healers by now?

Edited by toha

Most of it is bad players mechanic, tanks not taunting and dps not following kill order.

Taunt like drop is situational awareness (taunt is 6 seconds "glue" + treat multiplier, if treat is near 0 you multiply 0 or near 0 and have issue after "glue" phase) but mobs on healer are mostly DD fail.

If it is tank fail - mobs will be over DDs.

There is no way healer to over agro DD (or tank) over same mob.

Yeah, aggro drop won't save me if anyone else doesnt have threat on mob. But with bad tank and DPS it still can be SOME use tough I admit, these situations are very few.

It works best if you use it when someone (tank or DD) damage mobs or tank use AOE taunt... but this need tank and DDs to do their jobs.

When you can - mark weak/normal mobs that are too away from main pack and tell DD to kill them 1st, or if possible tell tank to LOS pool pack - they will come too due to lost LOS.

Must say Sage heal is quite good deal for Maelstrom last boss, just have to react fast and bubble guy who is about to get sniped:o there is plenty of peepz who don't even think moving behind pillars:( and then its my fault when they get one or two shotted:o luckily medcenter is near and peepz can run back to fighting after dying:D so even worst kamikazes dont always cause wipe

Must say Sage heal is quite good deal for Maelstrom last boss, just have to react fast and bubble guy who is about to get sniped:o there is plenty of peepz who don't even think moving behind pillars:( and then its my fault when they get one or two shotted:o luckily medcenter is near and peepz can run back to fighting after dying:D so even worst kamikazes dont always cause wipe

Don't you know? When some one dies it's alway your fault doesn't matter if there was a big circle on th ground, big red letters on the screen or even if the tactic was explained before and it's a one hit kill if nothing is done. :D

This logic I've seen used more times than I'd like, but that's what the ignore list is for :cool:

Yeah I know they cannot lure behind pillars all time but there is just nothing can do for one-shot. And yes, I'm using Force Armor always when big cast is coming:o

I don't play Republic much, but, if it has a cast, can't it be interrupted?

Is it like...(damn, forgot the name) the boss droid with the flags(or whatever they are) when if he finishes the cast and all the flags are same color it's a one hit kill?

Or is there no such mechanic? Just heal and pray?

It isn't interruptible.

Even in HM I noticed people not running behind the boxes, which if you are 55, well frankly it isn't a problem, but if you are 50 to 54 and still wearing leveling gear with 14K HP, well you may die and it would not be the healers fault. Lucky on your sage at that level there is a answer and it is not bubble, just pull the fool behind the boxes. :p

Or is there no such mechanic? Just heal and pray?

Kilran's snipe attack is not an actual one-shot, but it hits really damned hard. I think the fight works such that you can LoS it, but it's hard since there's scant cover and a slowing effect if no one is in his melee range; I think as soon as someone can get close enough to slap him, though, he tends to stop sniping and the snare goes away. But it often is an over-zealous DPS that charges ahead, ignores the wave of adds in the back, gets aggro on Kilran, and gets too far from heals then dies and rages.

Kilran's snipe attack is not an actual one-shot, but it hits really damned hard. I think the fight works such that you can LoS it, but it's hard since there's scant cover and a slowing effect if no one is in his melee range; I think as soon as someone can get close enough to slap him, though, he tends to stop sniping and the snare goes away. But it often is an over-zealous DPS that charges ahead, ignores the wave of adds in the back, gets aggro on Kilran, and gets too far from heals then dies and rages.

Yep, not complete one-shot (tough I've seen horribly geared players get one-shotted) but combined with adds fatal for many group. I like tactic where whole group moves to next pillar together (so he can snipe only one) and if we are lucky target am I because I can use Force Speed to avoid it in time, or whoever Sage/Shadow can. Sentinels can use Force Camo

Not to be a dick or anything but learn to use your aggro drop, you are going to need it when you have 7K HPS at end-game. I can't remember the last time I, on DD or healer, didnt use my aggro drop on pretty much every CD during group content.

not to be a dick or anything, but i am 10/10 as a healer, have been for weeks on end now, my healing buddy and i have never failed the healing phase on raptus since day one so id like to think we know what we are doing, and neither of us have ever gotten near 7k hps, and i run 10/10 on both my bis op healer and sorc healer, and my healing buddy has 2 bis mercs. we are usually around 4k hps with effective as close to 100% as possible, now during corrupter i get above 5k Hps cause everyone stays stacked if possible. but am i missing something? should somehow we be putting out 2k+ hps or has this poster never healed, OR is this possible in 16 man cause we just do 8 man 10/10 twice weekly?

and to the OP. i never use threat drop during a fight unless a boss has a threat wipe mechanic, OR 10 seconds into the very beginning of a fight when i double probe everyone before pull.

I have a 55 operative healer, and last night found myself getting destroyed in HM Hammer station at the tunneling droid. I was focusing on the tank, healing and cleansing, but no matter what the probe droids kept coming out blowing up around me. This caused me to have to run around for a bit trying to survive and the tank died because he had too many stacks. Now I have gone through this FP before, and never had any issues, never drew any aggro. After the wipe, the tank suggested that I wasn't geared well enough, I responded back that I can't heal and cleanse while I am getting hammered. I am not sure it was the tank's fault, he kept aggro well on the boss. I think the DPS weren't focusing hard enough on the droids.

I have a 55 operative healer, and last night found myself getting destroyed in HM Hammer station at the tunneling droid. I was focusing on the tank, healing and cleansing, but no matter what the probe droids kept coming out blowing up around me. This caused me to have to run around for a bit trying to survive and the tank died because he had too many stacks. Now I have gone through this FP before, and never had any issues, never drew any aggro. After the wipe, the tank suggested that I wasn't geared well enough, I responded back that I can't heal and cleanse while I am getting hammered. I am not sure it was the tank's fault, he kept aggro well on the boss. I think the DPS weren't focusing hard enough on the droids.

Hmm, sounds like you were running around way more than necessary. Every time I have run it, as tank, dps, and healer, we ignore those droids. They don't actually attack directly, they just move close to someone, turn red, and explode a few seconds later. So stand still until they turn red, and then move only as much as you have to to get clear.

As an operative, be sure to keep your HoTs running on the tank, including Kolto Infusion. I know a lot of scoundrels/operatives forget about that skill since it costs both a stack and energy, but the HoT is pretty powerful, and will usually give you the stack back before it expires. You are also by far the most mobile healer, since you can reapply your other 2 hots, cleanse, and hit Surgical Probe on the move.

So with the info you gave, I'd have to side with the tank here. Not sure if it is a gearing issue, or if you just panicked when the droids came by and you lost focus on healing, but I suspect the latter.

Not sure what your play style is, but good practice for an operative is healing between pulls while running. In pretty much every PuG, there is at least one person that refuses to self-heal between pulls. Healing them with HoTs, instant heals, and even cleanse, while we are all running to the next fight helps me get comfortable with healing on the move. It also ensures I have full stacks before the next fight begins.

Agree with NoFishing, not really a gear issue and no reason for you not to heal and cleanse while moving. If helps you may want to use focus target if you are not already. Also don't forget about your roll. Just roll away when you see red. :p

I normally DPS, I find healing is a lot different.
It gets easier and your having played another role will help your healing in the long run. Just get use to moving and healing, plus use you defensive cooldowns as need and in high raid damage times when the tank is taking a lot of damage. New healers sometimes focus so much on tank that they forget to heal themselves. Remember there is no shame in using a medpac on yourself so that you don't have to untarget the tank. BioChem for the win! Well at least lower repair cost. :D

Been a sawbones since launch and a operative since a few months later, when I first saw roll I thought what a joke, but it is a lifesaver in a number of situations.

Edited by mikebevo

Not sure about HM, ran it once total(as i don't like that FP too much), but don't the droids just stop near you and then explode?

That gives you enough time to move, cleanse and heal. And on an OP don't need alot of time; cleanse+HoT(x2)= standing tank

If I'm on the droids, please let me know because I'll have to go and check how to do it then:o

If I'm on the droids, please let me know because I'll have to go and check how to do it then:o

No, you're mostly right on the droids; they target a person and follow them until they drop a reticule on the ground and start a channel timer, then they explode. Once they start that channel, you should have plenty of time to get out of it, though.

Probe mechanic on ground is already explained but there is 1 more - heal/ranged DD go & jump on big box on left... no probe droid can go up there :)

Probe mechanic on ground is already explained but there is 1 more - heal/ranged DD go & jump on big box on left... no probe droid can go up there :)

As a healer I rarely get the chance to stand there and then only for a few seconds, mostly because people keep running out of range, so it's easier just to dodge the droids. But I do see snipers just rain hell from there, it looks so beautiful :D

I don't really see problem, as my Sent I usually completely ignore probes and just stay on target. Sometimes one or two hit me, sometimes not, but they just hit 3000 per hit. This to Sent. Less to class with better reduction. Healer can patch it up with single Salvation or something, and even if he would have hands full with Tank, there is medpack for that purpose:D this in HM