Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

There is no reason to play a healer other than Sage/Sorc

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
There is no reason to play a healer other than Sage/Sorc

Aaoogaa
01.13.2012 , 09:44 PM | #11
Are we talking PVP? CM is superior when guarded. Hands down it is the only class that can stand in the thick of fire and come out. While a sage is sprinting away and the scoundrel is popping his stealth the CM is still in the fire fight keeping his team mates up. Sage may be better for the weaker solo player but you will find most organized teams will run BH/CM healer guarded and using sage/sorc as DPS and the occasional oh crap shield.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

Nakoto
01.14.2012 , 11:59 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaoogaa View Post
Are we talking PVP? CM is superior when guarded. Hands down it is the only class that can stand in the thick of fire and come out. While a sage is sprinting away and the scoundrel is popping his stealth the CM is still in the fire fight keeping his team mates up. Sage may be better for the weaker solo player but you will find most organized teams will run BH/CM healer guarded and using sage/sorc as DPS and the occasional oh crap shield.
Stealth fails me most of the time anyway. Sage's seem to take more damage than Commando's to me. That Force armor can absorb the most powerful attacks. I've had it absorb my blaster whip and back blast
[CENTER][SIZE="3"]Member #758

Chado_
01.14.2012 , 12:44 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by hamerdin View Post
im brand to swtor...and i read all these threads...and im really excited to use my BH bodyguard spec to beast the heal meters and embarasse all of you!!!!!!! that being said..im sure your all gonna kick my ***..but im still gonna have fun with my bounty hunter. i played a healer paladin in wow...and healing is just a ton of fun to me.!!!
You want meters, you've got the wrong game buddy.

Scrufflus
01.14.2012 , 01:13 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Chado_ View Post
If they don't implement combat logs for pve (we already have a meter of sorts in pvp), then this game is already over.

A very big part of MMOs is going to be min/max type of thing. If the content remains so easy that it doesn't matter that you improve your character and play well in order to get it done then the game is doomed. And there needs to be a mechanism by which you can determine if how you are playing is as effective as other methods.

If YOU want a video game without metrics to compare performance between different players/classes/skill sets (and yes this going to come down to some numbers), then you have the wrong genre, buddy.

My guess is that they are still collecting data so they can bring classes into better balance. If they had combat logs available right now there would be much noise about imbalance.

caveslug
01.14.2012 , 03:35 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Chado_ View Post

Did they not have a built in recount in beta?

But it was disabled or taken out because it caused a huge amount of lag?

Could swear I heard someone talking about it before the game launched.

Stoptakingmyname
01.14.2012 , 03:51 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nakoto View Post
As it stands, Sage/Sorc healers outclass the other options by far. The Force Armor ability, which provides excellent protection instantly and can be applied to all teammates, is unrivaled in terms of defensive power. Sages/Sorcs also have access to a Force speed ability (if I am not mistaken) which allows them to have far greater mobility than other healers as well, and in PvP, mobility is key. As it stands if a decent Sage and a decent Scoundrel/Commando/Merc/Operative are both healing, the Sage will undoubtedly come out on top in terms of raw healing. It is also likely the Sage will have more DPS due to Force Armor being able to be "cast and forgotten", reducing the need for Sage's to monitor their teammates and be actively healing.

Please give the other classes abilities so they can keep pace with the Sage/Sorc's heals. I am a dedicated healer and I want to be as effective as possible, but I have zero interest in playing Sage/Sorc. Imo saying that all healers are equal is a complete joke.
Protip: No one is playing scoundrel/operative for the healing. Except you.

ornen
01.14.2012 , 05:10 PM | #17
^ Not at all true. Healing is one of the big reasons I went Scoundrel (the other big reason being flavor)... So far I'm only level 27 but I would not describe myself as disappointed. Haven't played much Sage, though. All that said, Scoundrel healing is fun, but also best kept in balance with the classes other aspects. It's not at all difficult to make a hybrid Sawbones/Dirty Fighting healer/melee character, which is a real blast to play.

If you want to play Scoundrel/Operative, you can still be a healer, but you still probably can't be a pure healer quite on par with a Sage/Sorc IMO. The top of the Sawbones tree doesn't look all that compelling, but you can still be a very effective healer.

Maybe Sage/Sorc do make the best healers, but you certainly don't get the mobility of a Scoundrel/Operative and (this is another class I don't know well) I doubt you get the durability of a Commando/Mercenary. Each has compelling reasons to play as them. I think the comparisons based on mechanics miss out on the broader, less tangible differences between them; just as the small differences in SC2 races lend themselves to totally different playstyles, the differences between the three healers are about more than just mechanics. Like I said, Scoundrel is all about mobility as well as versatility; a good healing-oriented Scoundrel still can be effective at combat. I'd describe Scoundrel gameplay as being able to move pretty freely around the battlefield & harass enemies and save friends at crucial junctures of your own choosing. That said, you still have to be careful; mobile as you are, if you get caught you're in a bad fix.

Walldorf
01.14.2012 , 06:46 PM | #18
One realy big thing to think about:

How good is my gear and how good is the gear of they guys class i qq about.

In the begin of my sorcs 50's i started to question myselfs skills and asked why i can't heal like the 39 lvl i played already. I saw operatives and mercs who heal content i "can't" heal and i asked myself why. Another day someone drops by and told me "man you got the crappyest gear i saw EVER!". After 10 minutes of hating that son of mother i thought about his words. After some crafting action, some pvp and some hours in FP's i got gear and see, i can heal as well, and even better, then other classes WITH THE SAME GEAR.

Mercs and ops can heal as well and good as the sorc but it riquires skill MUCH more skill then the theoretcli "Classic" playstyle of a sorc.

But yeah thats simply not true the my gear is great and they have to nerf the corc ^^. Great nerf sorc healing, maybee i can play dmg after they destroyed the healing sorc ^^.

Proctor
01.14.2012 , 09:45 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Walldorf View Post
One realy big thing to think about:

How good is my gear and how good is the gear of they guys class i qq about.

In the begin of my sorcs 50's i started to question myselfs skills and asked why i can't heal like the 39 lvl i played already. I saw operatives and mercs who heal content i "can't" heal and i asked myself why. Another day someone drops by and told me "man you got the crappyest gear i saw EVER!". After 10 minutes of hating that son of mother i thought about his words. After some crafting action, some pvp and some hours in FP's i got gear and see, i can heal as well, and even better, then other classes WITH THE SAME GEAR.

Mercs and ops can heal as well and good as the sorc but it riquires skill MUCH more skill then the theoretcli "Classic" playstyle of a sorc.

But yeah thats simply not true the my gear is great and they have to nerf the corc ^^. Great nerf sorc healing, maybee i can play dmg after they destroyed the healing sorc ^^.
Bro, no one wants Seer to get destroyed, most people don't even want it nerfed at all. All we want is slight buffs to CM and Sawbones utility so that they're on par.

Sidenote: Are you Brazilian/Filipino?

Corran
01.15.2012 , 03:05 AM | #20
my sawbones scrapper with 2pc champoin (+15% to kolto cloud) and almost 1500 cunning - kolto ticks for 450 or so every 2 seconds

my fresh 50 sage without even any daily commendations gear or mods and no pvp gear - aoe heal HITS for 680 unlmited targets (kolto cloud 4 target limit) then ticks for 300 every second for 10 seconds.

2s cast time vs instant. if you cast kolto cloud you cant cast anything else not even a hot until your energy regens three ticks or you drop into lower energy regen rate. 4 targets vs. unlimited. 1500 healing with talents and +15% from gear bonus set vs. 3680 with garbage.

luls
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1