Someone educate me how 6.0 will not kill the cartel market

xordevoreaux

To quote one of my favorite philosophers, Blondie...

"One way or another, they're gonna get ya, they're gonna get ya, get ya, get ya, get ya. One way or another..."

As it applies to this situation -- we can complain all we want about non-moddable weapons and gear. If everything were moddable, though, BW's response would be simple -- it would drop far less frequently.

They want gearing to take time and for it to be an iterative process. One step in the right direction is that all personal loot will now only drop for your discipline, with the option to even toggle advanced -- or so it has been announced.

You can disagree with that design decision (as many do), but arguing that making all gear moddable is some sort of panacea is mistaken. It just means less of it will drop. Beware the law of unintended consequences.

With weapons, it is just more annoying and a poke in the eye to those who (rightfully so) want to use weapon designs purchased from the CM or GTN.

Who's the cynical one now? :p

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote one of my favorite philosophers, Blondie...

"One way or another, they're gonna get ya, they're gonna get ya, get ya, get ya, get ya."

As it applies to this situation -- we can complain all we want about non-moddable weapons and gear. If everything were moddable, though, BW's response would be simple -- it would drop far less frequently.

They want gearing to take time and for it to be an iterative process. One step in the right direction is that all personal loot will now only drop for your discipline, with the option to even toggle advanced -- or so it has been announced.

You can disagree with that design decision (as many do), but arguing that making all gear moddable is some sort of panacea is mistaken. It just means less of it will drop. Beware the law of unintended consequences.

With weapons, it is just more annoying and a poke in the eye to those who (rightfully so) want to use weapon designs purchased from the CM or GTN.

Who's the cynical one now? :p

Dasty

I completely agree. Which is why I have a strong inkling that they are also working on the weapon appearance designer that many of us want, which in turn would also solve the unmodded gear and CM weapons issue. I already had a strong inkling when Eric Musco actually replied to a thread asking for it a couple of weeks ago and he talked about the difficulty of implementing it. He would not talk about it if they were not actively developing it. Granted, it will not come out at the same time with 6.0, but some time later when the expansion has been out and functioning.

Edited by Phazonfreak

...so I am willing to wait and see how they respond. But they are not going to respond at all if there is no feedback such as this thread.

Then maybe - just maybe - you could actually wait to see how they respond rather than posting "the sky is falling" on these forums.

Isn't there a PTS forum where you could post your feedback? (Answer: Yes, there is.)

Edited by JediQuaker

Then maybe - just maybe - you could actually wait to see how they respond rather than posting "the sky is falling" on these forums.

Isn't there a PTS forum where you could post your feedback? (Answer: Yes, there is.)

Maybe some of us are here posting in an effort to get people curious enough to see for themselves, to spur them on to playing on PTS to get more feedback.

Please quote for me the post where I made a "sky is falling" post. And while I am willing to wait and see the new changes to the loot acquisition system with the next PTS build none of those changes will address this particular issue. Further, as very few forumites participate on PTS, Darev makes a good point about bringing attention to an issue and spurring people to get on the PTS and see the changes for themselves so their voice can be added to the discussion. Lastly, if you believe that this post was started under the wrong topic then you should petition the forum mods to move it accordingly.

Can't remember where i saw it, but it's being looked in to, and hopefully implemented :)

Unless I've missed something recently, that was supposed to come in at like 4.0 but then they shelved it & after stating so, haven't mentioned it since then...Sadly. As I would use that!

Point taken. Let's see what happens when 6.0 releases. Worse case, use your slightly gimped 100m credit saber and accept the loss.

Its not going to be slightly gimped. its going to be 10-20 item levels below the rest of your gear. Its less important for non-dual wielders, who will be able to bring up their character average iRating with the offhand, but for any dual wielder it significantly reduces your iRating average. I can say that I got scare few item modifications as drops, four out of about 130. That means that continuing to use 252 or 258 MH is going to impair your personalized loot drops for quite some time.

It's not "the sky is falling!" Rather, its, "I believe this sort of system negatively impacts character customization, indefinitely."

Its not going to be slightly gimped. its going to be 10-20 item levels below the rest of your gear. Its less important for non-dual wielders, who will be able to bring up their character average iRating with the offhand, but for any dual wielder it significantly reduces your iRating average. I can say that I got scare few item modifications as drops, four out of about 130. That means that continuing to use 252 or 258 MH is going to impair your personalized loot drops for quite some time.

It's not "the sky is falling!" Rather, its, "I believe this sort of system negatively impacts character customization, indefinitely."

Well, that's an interesting oversight they made, eh? So current weapon drops on the PTS are static and you can't strip them? You can strip mods and enhancements off other pieces though, right? You can rock the static upgrade weapons for overall better gear rating drops and steadily strip non weapon gear for mods/enhancements to upgrade the Cartel market favorite weapon. You're still shy a barrel/hilt though but not as gimped as before. Perhaps purchase a crafted one in the future as a final gift to yourself at capped lvl.. I'm sure they'll address it.

Sheesh man, and I thought that the 5.0 era was horrible. RNG Vendors, Un-modifiable Gear, with the way things are going 6.0 may well be the complete destruction of SWTOR (No Doomsaying intended).

I believe I'll be keeping my current gear and pretty much ignoring the new grind, aside from what I happen to get while questing. I'll probably ignore PvP as well, since I'll end up trying to be competitive in 248 - 252 gear.

Well, that's an interesting oversight they made, eh? So current weapon drops on the PTS are static and you can't strip them? You can strip mods and enhancements off other pieces though, right? You can rock the static upgrade weapons for overall better gear rating drops and steadily strip non weapon gear for mods/enhancements to upgrade the Cartel market favorite weapon. You're still shy a barrel/hilt though but not as gimped as before. Perhaps purchase a crafted one in the future as a final gift to yourself at capped lvl.. I'm sure they'll address it.

Do you know what it costs to craft a 270 barrel/hilt?

20 Tier 3 isotopes (MM flashpoints & ops loot)

20 Tier 3 conquest loot items that you get exactly TWO of when you finish your 50k point personal conquest

And all of the "normal" mats that go into crafting the 270+ items.

I didn't make the system. I gave a solution based on information provided. If there's a better one then someone will find it.

edit: If you lvl up an Armstech now, given that it'll take 10 weeks to get your 20 tier 3 conquest items. 2 1/2 months isn't too unreasonable a wait to craft your own barrel/hilt. Within that time, you can certainly run your ops/fps for the isotopes.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

Unless I've missed something recently, that was supposed to come in at like 4.0 but then they shelved it & after stating so, haven't mentioned it since then...Sadly. As I would use that!

I think that was when they first talked about implementing it in the future. That's why I started adding static weapons to TorFashion. Then later when the subject came up they said it's still something they want to do, but weren't actively working on it and it wouldn't be implemented in the foreseeable future. That's been the party line for awhile now. "We really wan't to make a weapon's designer, but don't hold your breath."

Unfortunately the skins they are reusing for those static weapons are some of the ugliest out there too :(

Edited by Damask_Rose

I'm not buying$$ anything gear wise from the CM until after 6.0 when this issue is more generally known. Personally, I think forcing players to use only a small pool of items not what they've chosen is horrible. Hopefully I'm wrong in this and we can all use the gear we like but if it's how it seems *So Far, very bad.

Yeah, just more proof they develop the game with absolutely no logical sense or understanding of their own game. I mean it's their own game that makes it's money from the CM which is the main source of funding for SWTOR.

Who came up with the idea of not having the gears moddable? Why do we have to tell them this? Just lol.

So how do we all know that gear drops and actual gear available is finalised for live?

I think perhaps people are jumping the gun a little bit on this one.

Gearing, on PTS, takes your average gear score into account before you start to get drops for the next level. If your saber is "stuck" at 258 you won't get 272 / 274 / 276 anything.

You could, however, just use the 270 saber you pick up from a mob...but that defeats the purpose of spending 100 million or more on a vanity saber that you can't really use.

This is the important part and what I was getting at.

Edited by Totemdancer

Do you know what it costs to craft a 270 barrel/hilt?

20 Tier 3 isotopes (MM flashpoints & ops loot)

20 Tier 3 conquest loot items that you get exactly TWO of when you finish your 50k point personal conquest

And all of the "normal" mats that go into crafting the 270+ items.

Another good point. Crafting costs + mats and time are a total **** show on the PTS.

So how do we all know that gear drops and actual gear available is finalised for live?

I think perhaps people are jumping the gun a little bit on this one.

People "jumping the gun" are pointing out problems that can still be fixed before they are left in the game when 6.0 launches.

You would rather people be silent, wait for 6.0 to drop, and THEN post about these same problems?

That seems...less useful.

Look at it this way. It's test center and we're catching the flaws now. We report them and they fix 'em. We wanted communication, right? We didn't get this opportunity prior to any other expansion. They addressed the RNG factor recently didn't they? Yea, ya tired of getting burnt but show a lil faith. It'll work out.

Iedit: If you lvl up an Armstech now, given that it'll take 10 weeks to get your 20 tier 3 conquest items. 2 1/2 months isn't too unreasonable a wait to craft your own barrel/hilt. Within that time, you can certainly run your ops/fps for the isotopes.

I see your htinking error: You think you can run those MM FPs and OPs with the gear you have now.

No, the situation is more like this: You need the new gear in order to to the content you need to do in order to craft the gear you need in order to play the new content.

I see your htinking error: You think you can run those MM FPs and OPs with the gear you have now.

No, the situation is more like this: You need the new gear in order to to the content you need to do in order to craft the gear you need in order to play the new content.

yea, I see it. The whole thing sucks. Though do you really think it's deliberate or an oversight? Either way. Observant people caught it on test center. Imagine the mess if this was released? A loud enough noise and they'll buckle, just like the RNG crapola they tried to sweep past. I think they're throwing things out there lackadaisyly so they can gauge the reaction.

People "jumping the gun" are pointing out problems that can still be fixed before they are left in the game when 6.0 launches.

You would rather people be silent, wait for 6.0 to drop, and THEN post about these same problems?

That seems...less useful.

Okay with that in mind, what difference did posting about gearing in 5.0 (Command Rank and RNG gearing) make any difference, prior to 5.0 launching?

Okay with that in mind, what difference did posting about gearing in 5.0 (Command Rank and RNG gearing) make any difference, prior to 5.0 launching?

Also, some people were saying the same sort of "you need the gear to do the content, to get the gear" stuff - which was untrue.

I seriously doubt that, in 6.0, you'll "need the gear to do the content".

But anyway - this thread has about run it's course, I hope. ☺

Was Galactic Command tested on PTS? I don’t recall that it was tested at all. I don’t think PTS was ever opened between the testing for the eternal championship in 4.x and the closed testing for GOTM/GSF changes. Even if it was focus-group invite-only tested, it wasn’t open tested for weeks like 6.0 is.

That fact alone gives me some hope. After all it is still 5.5 weeks away.