4.0 Combat/Carnage PvE Guides by Hayete

Bahadori

Hey there Twin Saber fans!

So the Combat Sentinel and Carnage Marauder guides are now live on Dulfy.net. As with 3.0 I wanted to officially start a thread here for those of you who want to ask questions through the forums. As with all my guides and forum posts here please feel free to comment with your feedback and questions. As always I aim to keep my guides and posts informative and progressive. Feel free to open up dialogue with your fellow gamers and offer advice and opinions as that is the only way we learn. With that said please no trolling, negative "Sentinels/Marauders Suck" comments, etc. Doing so will be reported and we already dealt with enough of those in 3.0. Lets keep this a positive post for those who enjoy the class and are looking to progress Thank you and enjoy!

Edited by Bahadori

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hayete, thanks for the guide. Very helpful.

I'm twi-yunfat from the Harbinger. I'm using a rotation very similar to yours and my numbers are similar too.

But I'm checking out the #1 combat parse on parsely by this guy named Zanakusoku.

He seems to adopt a rather different rotation and he does two clashing blast in one zen window.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/80650/0

As a result, he can put down 20 clashing blast in the parse, whereas our rotation can only do 15 or 16. And his numbers are higher. This would be an interesting thing to look at.

Hi Hayete, thanks for the guide. Very helpful.

I'm twi-yunfat from the Harbinger. I'm using a rotation very similar to yours and my numbers are similar too.

But I'm checking out the #1 combat parse on parsely by this guy named Zanakusoku.

He seems to adopt a rather different rotation and he does two clashing blast in one zen window.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/80650/0

As a result, he can put down 20 clashing blast in the parse, whereas our rotation can only do 15 or 16. And his numbers are higher. This would be an interesting thing to look at.

The rotation you're referencing was created and developed by G_mK (Dón-Quijote) about a week or so before 4.0 launched. His rotation is the one I used to grab the 3rd highest parse worldwide among all specs right at the end of 3.0 (here is the link http://parsely.io/parser/view/70341)

The reason the rotation is not in the guides (yet) is because it's very difficult to employ in live raid environments. G_mK and I have been having extensive discussion on the matter and are actively testing it out in raid to work out the kinks so to speak. In fact if you go to my twitch channel the last few broadcasts have been me testing the rotation in operations. Both of us have just about gotten the edges smoothed out and are developing when to use it and when not to use it. How to get back on track if the rotation is thrown off (which is VERY easy to do in live raid) and what to look for so you can try and keep that from happening.

To the point I left it out of the guides because at the time it was good for only the Dummy and promoting a rotation that excels soley on dummy parses is not practical to be teaching people when the difference between the two rotational strategies is on average 100 DPS.

Hope that all makes sense mate!

You're right. I was trying to implement that. But it's almost impossible, especially for real fights. That rotation will require everything to hit exactly the way it should be. But in real fights, it's all about priorities and doing such a rotation is impossible.

For those who have been asking both on the guides and through email about Crit Adrenals i've completed my personal testing and when analyzed over 15 seconds the average DPS difference was 1.3% favoring the Attack Adrenal over the Crit. This testing was not done using simulation or mathematical software rather a sample size of ten 15 second blocks for each Adrenal spanning the following rotation [ Adrenal – Blade Dance — Clashing Blast — Strike — Blade Rush — Blade Rush — Zealous Strike — Precision — Dispatch ]. The averages were taken and the percent difference was calculated. Under better analysis with many more trials than 15 the results may go up or down so the 1.3% average does have some mathematical error to it's certainty so take the result as what it is, at best an estimate.

Looking at math and averaging 2 adrenal usages in a standard 4 minute 1.5mill dummy parse, attack adrenal comes out ahead over crit adrenal by 0.9 DPS :p. Difference is minimal and depends a lot on whether an ability crits or not. However I would still use attack adrenals because they are more predictable.

Looking at math and averaging 2 adrenal usages in a standard 4 minute 1.5mill dummy parse, attack adrenal comes out ahead over crit adrenal by 0.9 DPS :p. Difference is minimal and depends a lot on whether an ability crits or not. However I would still use attack adrenals because they are more predictable.

That's why you're the man Don! :D

Thank you for posting this.

I almost gave up on my Sentinel after all the rage about nerf / grief from people, and respec'ed to combat in lieu of your guide.

My DPS isn't as high as some of the top parsers but I'm getting near 5.5k on unoptimized gear. I only have a couple of set pieces.

I posted http://parsely.io/parser/view/86122/0 for feedback. I messed up a couple of times on my rotation, but the guts of it are there. I did however add an inspiration at the beginning, and that helped immensely.

Always looking to improve - thanks again.

Thank you for posting this.

I almost gave up on my Sentinel after all the rage about nerf / grief from people, and respec'ed to combat in lieu of your guide.

My DPS isn't as high as some of the top parsers but I'm getting near 5.5k on unoptimized gear. I only have a couple of set pieces.

I posted http://parsely.io/parser/view/86122/0 for feedback. I messed up a couple of times on my rotation, but the guts of it are there. I did however add an inspiration at the beginning, and that helped immensely.

Always looking to improve - thanks again.

Thanks for the support man :D

Your parse looks pretty solid. Your rotation seems on point for the most part minus the few mess ups. I'm sure with more gear and practice you'll be right up there at the top of the leaderboards. Keep at it and good luck!

Thank you for the guide. It helped me get back into the swing and leveling my sentinel. I just came back after almost 1 1/2yr hiatus (might have been longer), did the 60 token but used it on a shadow instead and after enjoying it went back to sentinel.

I was using watchman and noticed some difficulties from last I played saw your guide and have started using that. I'm still having issues with the rotations but as you said it is more forgiving.

I play on the same server as you it looks like so any pointers would be appreciated. My sentinel is Donov'n. At the moment I'm trying to figure out these flashpoints and stuff to get more crystals for gear.

Thank you

Thank you for the guide. It helped me get back into the swing and leveling my sentinel. I just came back after almost 1 1/2yr hiatus (might have been longer), did the 60 token but used it on a shadow instead and after enjoying it went back to sentinel.

I was using watchman and noticed some difficulties from last I played saw your guide and have started using that. I'm still having issues with the rotations but as you said it is more forgiving.

I play on the same server as you it looks like so any pointers would be appreciated. My sentinel is Donov'n. At the moment I'm trying to figure out these flashpoints and stuff to get more crystals for gear.

Thank you

Yeah brother no problem. Send me an email and we'll coordinate a good time for the both of us to meet up in game. Do you have VoIP of some kind? If so let me know. Take care mate!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Hayete,

Hope you remember me :) (Lyones, Cathar Jedi Sentinel). Anyways, I just picked up the game again and am in mostly 192s + 208 earpieces/implant and 216 MH/OH. I'm only doing a max of about 5600~ on 500k dummy. 50.8 APM, Zero Alacrity, crit heavy for now. Is that within 5% of what I should be doing at my current gear level or do I need to up that APM possibly?

Hey Hayete,

Hope you remember me :) (Lyones, Cathar Jedi Sentinel). Anyways, I just picked up the game again and am in mostly 192s + 208 earpieces/implant and 216 MH/OH. I'm only doing a max of about 5600~ on 500k dummy. 50.8 APM, Zero Alacrity, crit heavy for now. Is that within 5% of what I should be doing at my current gear level or do I need to up that APM possibly?

That sounds about right. I've not done heavy analysis with anything less than 216 item level gear but i do remember the first day or so of 4.0 and jumping on the dummy in 198 min/max'd gear and i believe i was up at like 5.8K or 5.9K, hard to remember back to that point honestly lol. At any rate i'd say check what you're doing on a 1.5 Million dummy as that is the going standard within the community for 4.0. With that it would be much easier to determine what is acceptable with your current gear. :)

UPDATE:

- Guides have been updated to reflect Patch 4.0.3 changes

- Combat Sentinel guide has been updated with a new parse and analysis

A couple of things:

In your parse analysis, you state the sample parse was done with 216 gear which I think is an error.

Second, for anyone interested, today's changes resulted is a slight dps loss of ~48 dps. Stat distribution seems to have remained the same as before.

A couple of things:

In your parse analysis, you state the sample parse was done with 216 gear which I think is an error.

Second, for anyone interested, today's changes resulted is a slight dps loss of ~48 dps. Stat distribution seems to have remained the same as before.

Thanks for keeping me honest Don! LOL It's been updated, thanks man. I did a few parses and landed at a little over 100 DPS loss but 3 parses is hardly an analysis. Atleast we survived relatively unscathed... my Sharpshooter guildies are on the ledge ready to jump right now.

Thanks for keeping me honest Don! LOL It's been updated, thanks man. I did a few parses and landed at a little over 100 DPS loss but 3 parses is hardly an analysis. Atleast we survived relatively unscathed... my Sharpshooter guildies are on the ledge ready to jump right now.

I figured you forgot to change the gear in the guide. Overall sent dps nerfs to combat and watchman are minimal and we are still a good class to bring for raiding.

I figured you forgot to change the gear in the guide. Overall sent dps nerfs to combat and watchman are minimal and we are still a good class to bring for raiding.

Dude something is off with Parsely. I just completed a 1.5 Million (7050) and I upload it and it jumps to 7055, makes no sense man. LOL the Mathematics involved with these logs is so basic I don't understand how they shift like that. Oh and i went to compare mine to yours and NOPE mine is not even showing on the site. Lastly, once I got yours and mine to compare your parse dropped from 7045 to 7004, wth!? LOL I'm losing faith in Parsely man :p

Dude something is off with Parsely. I just completed a 1.5 Million (7050) and I upload it and it jumps to 7055, makes no sense man. LOL the Mathematics involved with these logs is so basic I don't understand how they shift like that. Oh and i went to compare mine to yours and NOPE mine is not even showing on the site. Lastly, once I got yours and mine to compare your parse dropped from 7045 to 7004, wth!? LOL I'm losing faith in Parsely man :p

Killing blow can cause some variation specially if is a high hitting ability. For some reason my parse still shows to me 7045 when I click it, weird. We seem to still be parsing close to what we were before. I'm curious though, what does your gear look like?

Killing blow can cause some variation specially if is a high hitting ability. For some reason my parse still shows to me 7045 when I click it, weird. We seem to still be parsing close to what we were before. I'm curious though, what does your gear look like?

My main is mostly 224 gear. Your parse was only changing for me when i would click the compare button on mine and then click the compare button next to yours then it would change your parse for some reason.

My main is mostly 224 gear. Your parse was only changing for me when i would click the compare button on mine and then click the compare button next to yours then it would change your parse for some reason.

weird :rolleyes:. I'm still sporting a lot of 220 mostly because my group leader hasn't run highlighted HM for the last 2 weeks and didn't get a chance to run many KPs last week due to being busy. According to my math I can still gain another 130dps from gear so I would guess that a 7200 can be achieved with some lucky crits/relic procs.