The newby crafter experience with 6.0.2

KaleTogras

A few quick observations from someone who never crafted anything in the game, but has been getting into crafting Biochem, Armormech and Synthweaving stuff for the past week and a half:

1) The easy financial advantage is gone - when I started crafting ten days ago, augmentation kits were about 600k and Artifact-level augs around 8 million. Even a stack of 10 Aug Component MK-11s was about 500k. Investing in crafting seemed like easy money. The prices have since collapsed. So, making money is only really possible with extensive gathering, crew missions and criticals on high-level gear. Keep that in mind if you want to jump on the band wagon.

2) The RE chances are very RNG - breaking down five Critical Augments and four Alacrity Augments produced no purple schematic. Then again, a guildy got his on the first go. Keep your rabbit's foot close.

3) Blue gear is the way to go - If you are a casual crafter with shallow pockets, most blue items are now dirt cheap, mat-wise. Honestly, getting into crafting to get cheap blue augs, kits and stims might be the best value for your time since 6.0.2, but if you want to go top-tier…

4) Purples are hell - the mat requirements for purples have barely changed since October, making them a logistical, financial and temporal nightmare for a casual crafter, requiring tons of artifact-level bonded comps and CQ mats worth millions. The ONLY reason you might opt to go down this road is if you are reasonably confident you can crit 50% of the time and you REALLY hate giving the resulting duplicates for free to the likes of Dosya :).

I will probably keep at it for no other reason than that I am bored of all other content, but if you want to keep crafting as a side-activity and do not care about being a Parsely troll, feel free to stop at blue-level stuff. Enjoy and good luck!

UPDATE: Queuing 20 purple Critical augments got me 31 augs as a result, a net saving of a week's worth of CQ mats, or about 60 million! While getting to that stage is still incredibly arduous, if you have the money and time to go all in on crafting, it does pay off eventually.

Edited by KaleTogras

Thanks. I am a returning player and had all skills when I left to > 550. Now I am trying level the skill and it is a bit different from when I last played.

Where can I go to get rank 11 materials?

Welcome back! For scavenging and bioanalysis, go to Mek-Sha. For slicing and archeology, Onderon. Rank 11 missions have decent drop rates of mission materials (Underworld Trading is particularly prized by me as I focus on armormech and synthweaving). Which crew skills are you focusing on?

I, uh have all crafters at 600 right now and I am just saving to get each and all relevant gathering skills/missions up as well. I played a lot from Beta to 3 years ago. I loved crafting but now its very very expensive and I am not sure I can sustain getting everyone all the things they need. My mains are Synth, biochem, armormech. I am currently trying to raise those three but I have the other skills to work on as well.

I, uh have all crafters at 600 right now and I am just saving to get each and all relevant gathering skills/missions up as well. I played a lot from Beta to 3 years ago. I loved crafting but now its very very expensive and I am not sure I can sustain getting everyone all the things they need. My mains are Synth, biochem, armormech. I am currently trying to raise those three but I have the other skills to work on as well.

That seems good, I am now doing Diplomacy/ Biochem to make my toon self-sufficient on stims and medpacks. Financially, I find that selling slicing missions and gathered mats more than covers the costs of crafting, and if you want to sell purple augs/ gold stims in bulk, i am sure you can do a lot more than just stay afloat.

Best of luck to you, the new crafting system is a bit poo, but there is still some enjoyment to be had :).