Deception vs Hatred 5.9

winterelegy

I currently run a Deception sin and it's decent enough (I can get some solid parses but overall its lower than my IO Merc) and I'm wondering how it compares to Hatred these days for HM/Nim content. I know for a while Hatred was supposedly like the worst dps spec in the game, but that was a few patches ago. I recently got into dot specs with the IO merc and I'm wondering if Hatred vs Deception is similar to IO vs Arsenal in terms of increased dps over an ops boss fight?

Hatred and Deception are good for certain things, after all they're opposite specs. Most fights with an extended burn, or adds hatred will out perform deception. But something with a small burst window deception will be better. If you want to do NiM as a sin I suggest to learn hatred and deception to an equal level.

I currently run a Deception sin and it's decent enough (I can get some solid parses but overall its lower than my IO Merc) and I'm wondering how it compares to Hatred these days for HM/Nim content. I know for a while Hatred was supposedly like the worst dps spec in the game, but that was a few patches ago. I recently got into dot specs with the IO merc and I'm wondering if Hatred vs Deception is similar to IO vs Arsenal in terms of increased dps over an ops boss fight?

Deception has the most dps difference between each parse for e.g + - 500, due to crit luck etc. a huge difference is the second ball lightning which can be triggerd by a chance (25%) so on top of having the fortune of getting a crit you'll also need a certain amount of double ball lightnings to get max dps.

that's the reason why you'll be lower than io. and you cant compare a dot spec with a burst spec in general ;)

Hatred and Deception are good for certain things, after all they're opposite specs. Most fights with an extended burn, or adds hatred will out perform deception. But something with a small burst window deception will be better. If you want to do NiM as a sin I suggest to learn hatred and deception to an equal level.

You can clear all NIM Content with just Deception. I've done that, cause I hate Hatred :rak_01:

But you can go much easier for you if you are capable to perform both specs. As Maxitrac mentioned Hatred will outperform Deception on most Boss encounters and since on of the later patches it has the aoe damage reduction too.

Hatred has one of the hardest hitting < 30% DPS. So it's definitly viable.

I'm the opposite to you lmao. I play hatred for everything cause i hate deception

Hatred the chicken S%$%& spec no respect for this spec. super boring oooo look I dropped a bunch of dots and they hit multiple peeps <snore> Epic snooze fest. No sense of accomplishment I mean really and this goes for all dot spec's how hard is it to drop a dot on a group?

Though I do love when I manage to out DPS a dot spec!

Doesn't Deception have the best execute ? Something like +5% DPS under 30% ?

It was nerfed to 3% with the great nerfs of patch 5.5. Also hatred has a 30% boost to Death Field, Eradicate, and all dots in execute which is a bit over half its damage so that's like 15%+.

Edited by Jevaruss

• 2 months later...
Hatred the chicken S%$%& spec no respect for this spec. super boring oooo look I dropped a bunch of dots and they hit multiple peeps <snore> Epic snooze fest. No sense of accomplishment I mean really and this goes for all dot spec's how hard is it to drop a dot on a group?

Though I do love when I manage to out DPS a dot spec!

This makes me a bit sad to read! For I agree, but I love the hatred/serenity spec. Dot-spreading was a bad idea, I think. Used to be that Deathfield/Force in Balance only struck three targets and there was no way to spread your dots other than to dot the targets individually. This meant that the dots could be stronger. I don't know how much they've nerfed the damage of the dots over the years, but they do feel weaker. And they should be! Because they're easy to spread. But I personally would prefer it if the spread-mechanic was removed and individual dots became stronger. Perhaps even slap that 9s CD back on Creeping Terror/Sever Force.

Edited by Majspuffen

What Kazz said ....

Have tried and do not enjoy the dot spread playstyle on Sin, Mara, Snipr, Op, or PT

Veng Jugg and IO Merc are okay, but can't help but go back to Rage and Arsenal

Guess I like the burst ...feels like you can actually kill stuff....

Hatred has better survivability I suppose than Deception with Leaching Strike, etc.

Its all personal preference though...

Play the spec/style you enjoy is always my recomendation, not which is parsing highest at the time

Play the spec/style you enjoy is always my recomendation, not which is parsing highest at the time

Funny to read this comment since both specs are the bottom of their respective categories (Deception is the lowest parsing melee burst while Hatred is the lowest parsing melee dot spec).

What Kazz said ....

Have tried and do not enjoy the dot spread playstyle on Sin, Mara, Snipr, Op, or PT

Veng Jugg and IO Merc are okay, but can't help but go back to Rage and Arsenal

Guess I like the burst ...feels like you can actually kill stuff....

Hatred has better survivability I suppose than Deception with Leaching Strike, etc.

Its all personal preference though...

Kinda disagree, if your a deception going against hatred dot spec their laughable heals can't compete with our burst, which makes sense their focus is the many while we specialize on the one. Plus depending on your utilities deception can get heals when they cloak out the caveat being you have to stay cloaked to receive full benefit there-by losing anything you had proc'd. Granted when you open again you should start process over again but you basically wasted everything that you had proc'd prior to cloaking.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin