GTN - Why do people do this?

Screaming_Ziva

I read it all, I just didn't quote it all. You know what you wrote, there's no reason for me to repeat the whole thing.

Because if you leave the whole post, I don't have to do what I'm fixing to have to do, and retype something I already typed.

I agree. BoP would not be the correct solution, nor did I suggest making them BoP. What I suggested, was to not allow them to be listed on the GTN. There are items in the game that can be traded between players but cannot be listed on GTN. The Barnacle of the Eyeless for example.

So here I am, a few months down the road from your proposed changes, and all of my ships are done. What am I going to do with those comms? Let's not forget that this change is being implemented because of something that is already purchased for credits, the IPC. This change affects the long term reason to even run the missions. Yes, some people are scamming players, but they're scamming players based on credits that they spent, not comms. Leaving them tradeable won't fix that issue, they'll just scam via trading or mail.

So instead, simply point out the scam in Gen chat where ever you are when you catch it. Eventually, enough people will get the message, hopefully, and the scammers will find themselves losing money on it, and move on to something else. While unfortunate, it at least doesn't adversely affect people that don't use the nature of these items in a manner that negatively impacts the playerbase.

Let me preface this that I understand buy low / sell high to make credits in the game.

However, why do people do this:

https://i.imgur.com/iTk7zj7.jpg

I sell these all the time at that price and every now and then, someone will buy mine and relist them for ridiculous amounts of credits. I could understand if this was a cartel item or a rare drop that I priced too low but this is an item that I can craft an infinite amount of. As long as I keep crafting and listing them, they'll never sell at a higher price.

Firstly, I don't really "play" the GTN anymore, but, speaking as someone who's been in the game since the beginning, here are my thoughts:

I've done this in the past.

For a number of reasons.

If I want to sell the same thing for a higher price, and there aren't too many of the item for a lower price, I'll buy all the lower priced items and sell mine for the higher price. I only need to sell ONE to make up what I spent AND make a profit. There are times where rather than re-sell the ones I bought, I'll just destroy them to take them out of the system. It depends on what the item is on whether I do that.

Another point was raised about reselling vendor items on the GTN for a profit.

If you were to take the time and scan my posting history, you'd see I don't understand this. Buying a purple companion gift for 10k from a vendor and reselling it for 20k, or more, is idiotic to me.

Except people buy them.

Out of ignorance, or convenience, or whatever other reason applies. I've come to realize that isn't the seller's fault, it's the buyer's.

I've also found a reason, for the gold/legendary companion items, that it is a good thing to do.

Not everyone has access to the vendor that sells the legendary companion gifts (250k each - ouch) and if people with lots of credits want to go load up there and resell on the GTN so the people who CAN'T get to the vendor can buy them...well...that's a service to those players and (it took awhile for me to realize it) not a bad thing over all.

As for your example with the armor skins...I think enough people have touched on that.

I also have some of the old schematics that aren't available anymore (the "rated" pvp skins) and used to sell them on POT5 until someone else came along, with those schematics, and we started a undercutting "war" with each other.

It drove the price down and ultimately it wasn't worth the time / hassle.

Basically, in that scenario, if you have someone who will consistently buy your stock for the price you want, be happy that you're selling them.

What I find amazing is people who buy a heap of vendor items to sell on the GTN and then list them so they actually lose money or at least don’t make any at all after the GTN tax.

The only reasons I can see people would do this is to launder dirty credits from farmers or someone is trying to mess with the people who sell the vendor stuff on the GTN at inflated prices.

If you're like me and you mostly just sell stuff on the GTN to get rid of it, while making some credits, here's the secret to success:

List your items just cheap enough so that it's worthwhile for others to buy them to resell, but not so cheap you make it easy for them. 🙂

Remember, it's just a game. Credits aren't worth anything in r/l. You are under no obligation to use the GTN (or whatever) in a manor that benefits others.

P.s. Even trying to determine the best 'buy-out' price may be too much of a bother for most people. If so, just dump your stuff on the GTN, don't worry about how many 'credits' you make, and get on with it. 🙂

Disclaimer - of course, having 1+ billion credits does make credits less important to me. 😏

Edited by JediQuaker

I love when I'm trying to sell something at a reasonable price and then people undercut by half. I mean, yeah, it's their choice, but then it means that mine will probably not sell as fast.

Sigh.

That being said, I also undercut by half when people ask ridiculous prices for some stuff (I've been playing the "buy hypercrates and lose a lot of credits" game for weeks and now I have a pretty good idea of what some things actually sell for).

What I don't get is people selling companion gifts that you can buy on a VENDOR for 10k for 13k or more. Again, you can buy them from a vendor for 10k. All it means is that you can never find a good deal on them... so frustrating. But yes, it's the people fault for buying them, but still people... use your brains.

Edited by Pricia
forgot a parenthesis. oops

I love when I'm trying to sell something at a reasonable price and then people undercut by half. I mean, yeah, it's their choice, but then it means that mine will probably not sell as fast.

Sigh.

That being said, I also undercut by half when people ask ridiculous prices for some stuff (I've been playing the "buy hypercrates and lose a lot of credits" game for weeks and now I have a pretty good idea of what some things actually sell for).

What I don't get is people selling companion gifts that you can buy on a VENDOR for 10k for 13k or more. Again, you can buy them from a vendor for 10k. All it means is that you can never find a good deal on them... so frustrating. But yes, it's the people fault for buying them, but still people... use your brains.

In at least some of the cases (individual gifts instead of stacks) I suspect it's people getting them from the crates you turn in on Odessa. There are, honestly, some people who have no idea there's a vendor that sells them.

If you're like me and you mostly just sell stuff on the GTN to get rid of it, while making some credits, here's the secret to success:

List your items just cheap enough so that it's worthwhile for others to buy them to resell, but not so cheap you make it easy for them. 🙂

Remember, it's just a game. Credits aren't worth anything in r/l. You are under no obligation to use the GTN (or whatever) in a manor that benefits others.

P.s. Even trying to determine the best 'buy-out' price may be too much of a bother for most people. If so, just dump your stuff on the GTN, don't worry about how many 'credits' you make, and get on with it. 🙂

Disclaimer - of course, having 1+ billion credits does make credits less important to me. 😏

Exactly, the credits aren’t real. It’s now become a game for me to see how many credits I can obtain in a week/month by doing the least amount of work.

The beginning of last year was all about one thing, hitting 1 billion credits and then I’d stop caring. The 12 months prior to making the 1 billion was hard work. I crafted and gathered 40+ hours a week. I participated in GTN price wars and spent a good deal of my time watching the GTN live. I even had my wife farming mats for me so I could craft and watch the GTN for under cutters (OCD, IK).

But since then, I wound that all back and realised I was working too hard and not smart enough in my approach. I didn’t even care cause I’d hit 1 billion, so I cut right back, but people on the GTN keep throwing credits at me. So now it’s become a game within a game within a game to see just how much I can make doing nothing.

I do no physical mat farming and I’m only crafting enough to refill what I sell and daily conquest achievements. I’m up to 10 Billion credits and it’s only speeding up the less work I do. If I need mats I buy them and if I can’t be bothered crafting something I buy it and flip it too or I jack the price right up until I can be bothered to craft more. What surprised me is there seems to be no stopping people from buying things even when I listed some at a billion because I ran out of storage space and I didn’t want to sell them cheap, they still purchased them :eek:. Which blows my mind because a little over 12 months ago I was fighting in the GTN trenches to sell the same things for under 50k. And keep in mind this is not CM stuff.

It just goes to show what one person thinks of as a fair price, others see as cheap or expensive, my advice to any budding GTN traders is don’t limit your thinking to what you think is a fair price. Always go big and see what happens and have some patience because you won’t sell 50 items at 100 million or a billion (normally). But you may sell 1 a week or a few a month. The trick is to have a huge portfolio of things to sell and not flood the market with too much of one thing that drives prices down like I used to do (bad trixxie) and have learnt not to (good Trixxie). I list around 500+ different items a week. Casting a bigger net means you have more chances of selling something at the price you want.

There is nothing better than logging in and seeing a few hundred million in the mail.

Edit: I would like to add that I don’t horde my wealth either. I support my wife and family with free credits when ever they want. I also give credits out every other day to people I see helping others in the game.

The day I hit 20 billion credits I’m going to run around the fleet and give 5 billion away. I’m looking forward to that :D

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Exactly, the credits aren’t real. It’s now become a game for me to see how many credits I can obtain in a week/month by doing the least amount of work.

The beginning of last year was all about one thing, hitting 1 billion credits and then I’d stop caring. The 12 months prior to making the 1 billion was hard work. I crafted and gathered 40+ hours a week. I participated in GTN price wars and spent a good deal of my time watching the GTN live. I even had my wife farming mats for me so I could craft and watch the GTN for under cutters (OCD, IK).

But since then, I wound that all back and realised I was working too hard and not smart enough in my approach. I didn’t even care cause I’d hit 1 billion, so I cut right back, but people on the GTN keep throwing credits at me. So now it’s become a game within a game within a game to see just how much I can make doing nothing.

I do no physical mat farming and I’m only crafting enough to refill what I sell and daily conquest achievements. I’m up to 10 Billion credits and it’s only speeding up the less work I do. If I need mats I buy them and if I can’t be bothered crafting something I buy it and flip it too or I jack the price right up until I can be bothered to craft more. What surprised me is there seems to be no stopping people from buying things even when I listed some at a billion because I ran out of storage space and I didn’t want to sell them cheap, they still purchased them :eek:. Which blows my mind because a little over 12 months ago I was fighting in the GTN trenches to sell the same things for under 50k. And keep in mind this is not CM stuff.

It just goes to show what one person thinks of as a fair price, others see as cheap or expensive, my advice to any budding GTN traders is don’t limit your thinking to what you think is a fair price. Always go big and see what happens and have some patience because you won’t sell 50 items at 100 million or a billion (normally). But you may sell 1 a week or a few a month. The trick is to have a huge portfolio of things to sell and not flood the market with too much of one thing that drives prices down like I used to do (bad trixxie) and have learnt not to (good Trixxie). I list around 500+ different items a week. Casting a bigger net means you have more chances of selling something at the price you want.

There is nothing better than logging in and seeing a few hundred million in the mail.

Edit: I would like to add that I don’t horde my wealth either. I support my wife and family with free credits when ever they want. I also give credits out every other day to people I see helping others in the game.

The day I hit 20 billion credits I’m going to run around the fleet and give 5 billion away. I’m looking forward to that :D

You had be be careful in the first Star Wars MMO about using vendors as storage. If you didn't jack the price up high enough, people would still buy it, even on vendors that were "hidden" in houses / crafting rooms even behind fake walls.

So people buying things at inflated prices, while it still boggles my mind, it never surprises me.

Because if you leave the whole post, I don't have to do what I'm fixing to have to do, and retype something I already typed.

I find it amusing that you are lecturing me about not reading what the other person wrote.

...should not be able to list on the GTN anything that can be purchased from a vendor for regular credits...

So here I am, a few months down the road from your proposed changes, and all of my ships are done. What am I going to do with those comms? Let's not forget that this change is being implemented because of something that is already purchased for credits, the IPC. This change affects the long term reason to even run the missions. Yes, some people are scamming players, but they're scamming players based on credits that they spent, not comms.

Your whole criticism is based on a misunderstanding of what I originally suggested. ONLY the item(s) that are 1. Sold by a vendor, and 2. Sold for Credits, would be restricted from being sold on the GTN. Never once did I suggest they couldn't be traded or mailed. Never once did I suggest that items bought with Reputation Currency (Fleet Commendations, for example) should be changed in any way.

Leaving them tradeable won't fix that issue, they'll just scam via trading or mail.

Yes, which would force this conversation to take place:

[1 - General] [snidely Whiplash]: WTS [improved Power Conversion Module], 5m

[1 - General] [Robertthebard]: You know you can buy those for 200k from a vendor.

[1 - General] [Gullible Newguy]: Really? Thanks! You just saved me 4.8m credits!

[1 - General] [snidely Whiplash]: Curses! Foiled again!

Would it stop 100% of it? No. Would it stop 90% of it? Yes. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I find it amusing that you are lecturing me about not reading what the other person wrote.

Your whole criticism is based on a misunderstanding of what I originally suggested. ONLY the item(s) that are 1. Sold by a vendor, and 2. Sold for Credits, would be restricted from being sold on the GTN. Never once did I suggest they couldn't be traded or mailed. Never once did I suggest that items bought with Reputation Currency (Fleet Commendations, for example) should be changed in any way.

Yes, which would force this conversation to take place:

[1 - General] [snidely Whiplash]: WTS [improved Power Conversion Module], 5m

[1 - General] [Robertthebard]: You know you can buy those for 200k from a vendor.

[1 - General] [Gullible Newguy]: Really? Thanks! You just saved me 4.8m credits!

[1 - General] [snidely Whiplash]: Curses! Foiled again!

Would it stop 100% of it? No. Would it stop 90% of it? Yes. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Speaking of not reading posts? I already laid out your closing remarks in a previous post. It's a conversation that was actually had on Imp side fleet, that ended with a hostile whisper from someone that was pretty mad about having their scam exposed. However, as I played the game today, and actually had to go buy the item in question, it occurred to me that with Legacy storage of credits, they could just make the item BoP, and resolve the whole issue.

Speaking of not reading posts? I already laid out your closing remarks in a previous post. It's a conversation that was actually had on Imp side fleet, that ended with a hostile whisper from someone that was pretty mad about having their scam exposed. However, as I played the game today, and actually had to go buy the item in question, it occurred to me that with Legacy storage of credits, they could just make the item BoP, and resolve the whole issue.

Or make them BOL