Subscription is confusing

Carteeeer

Hi, so I bought the standard version of this game through origin, then my friend showed me that online it says that the price is monthly, I'm 100% not paying monthly for a 2011 game lol, when I stop paying will I revert to a free to play player?

Hi, so I bought the standard version of this game through origin, then my friend showed me that online it says that the price is monthly, I'm 100% not paying monthly for a 2011 game lol, when I stop paying will I revert to a free to play player?

No. You will revert to what's called "Preferred", which has less onerous restrictions. Pay or not as it suits you, of course, but be aware that:

* Once you stop paying and the time you've already paid for runs out, you won't be able to post here, nor use the in-game Customer Service ticket system.

* https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-free-to-play-faqs/ describes the most visible restrictions.

* There's a pile of other things not listed there, such as:

** Unlocks required to hide your helmet, show titles, use companion Customizations, etc. (Cosmetic options)

** Slower basic XP gain after level 20

** Very slow Renown XP gain

** Limits on crew skills (1 per character on F2P, 2 per character on Preferred, 3 per character on premium)

** Locked out of new content that is released after your subscription status ends

** Caps on credits held per character

** Limits and restrictions on Flashpoints, Operations, Warzones etc. per week.

* Lots and lots of people pay monthly (or in larger blocks) for older games than SWTOR, notably WoW.

And technically, you're not 'Paying Monthly'. The subscription cost is calculated monthly, but you pay according to your chosen subscription.

For a thirty day, recurring subscription (recurring meaning they automatically take the funds out of your bank account), it's $15 every thirty days.

For a ninety day recurring subscription, it's $42 every three months.

For a 160 day recurring subscription, it's $78 every six months.

And then there's the option I use, slightly more expensive, but more controllable since it's not automatic, and that's a sixty day non-recurring subscription every two months for thirty dollars.

Considering that all it takes is to set aside five dollars a week and you can basically cover whatever subscription you want, it's not a bad deal. Like those commercials say, it's less than a dollar a day. But, ultimately, it's your choice...