Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

It's a server merge wherein one set of people, selected at what appears to be random or based upon opaque and obtuse criteria, get squatter's rights over their names. Awesome. Bare minimum of systems needing to be coded by BioWare & forces all of the management and organization onto the customer.

"We apologize that you fell into the giant hole we dug. Instead of giving you a ladder, we're just gonna fling the dirt from our other holes into the hole you're in until it's full. Mind your eyes."

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong. Each of those will have ONE destination server. More likley would be Eta only for Alpha Beta and Gamma. Then Delta, Epsilon and Zeta would end up going to Theta. If Theta or Eta gets to the point where it gets to the numbers BW wants to see as the limits, then they would go to a different server Limbo. So if all your guildies trnasfer right away and you are last on the list, you may not end up with them as there is also no way to transfer a guild, even if the entire guild signs off on it.

Wrong. They are ensuring that all population of a current origin server will be able to move to the target server.

As awesome as this feature is, I am dissapointed that there will only be one server to choose to transfer to for each server since my guild was considering changing to an East Coast server because we have many people in the east

What happened with your guild? Were you a West Coast server guild but then you invited many East Coast players. So, you ended up with more East Coast players than West Coast ones?

LET THE GAMES BEGIN! This will finally bring the game back to life. Lets hope that the process will be as smooth as BW are stating. I will at least be patient to see how good the population will be. Looking forward to have 100 players on the fleet again :)

One question and one comment:

The question:

Will these free server transfers be available to inactive subscriptions? I have friends that used to play that don't anymore, but they could again one day. They are willing to transfer if they don't have to activate their subscription. Similarly, if they don't, if they ever did come back they would be coming back to a dead server. A guess a more important question is do these free transfers EXPIRE?

The comment:

I wish their were a seniority system in place for character/legacy names. I know its selfish, but I created my main on day one of pre-order early access. I'll be quite sad if I lose my character name due to transferring... but it won't be the first time its happened in an MMO.

If they're not currently paying a subscription fee, I don't think they should have any "priority" over someone who is playing now. The paying customer is always more important than the ex-customer who abandoned you.

Likewise, if they want to transfer so badly, let them log onto the site tonight and reactivate their membership. If they're not willing to do that, then they can pay to transfer when the mood finally strikes to them to play the game again. If they want something catered just for them, they need to pay the admission fee first.

This is not correct. We'll be providing a list of origin servers and destination servers. Each origin server will have one destination server, and players can elect to transfer their characters from the origin server to the destination. Our goal is to have destination servers with a much higher active player population, so we'll be monitoring the process and adding new origin and destination pairs as necessary to reach that goal.

Hello there,

I did not no what you meant i am so sorry can you tell me more thank you..:)

Can't argue this. To me it's a slap in the face to those who rerolled instead of unsubbing. They should at least make it so you could transfer your characters from your old dead server to your new populated server(fatman for example) if you either already have a 50 or legacy level "X" on your destination server.

Exactly correct. I am not adding to the population of "SRVER A" by transfering my other characters over to "SERVER A" from "SERVER B" because I am already playing on "SERVER A" most of the time. I would still have the limit of 8 characters on "SERVER A". This is only an illusion of choice.

Yeah, not liking the comment from that update:

"If your transferred character’s name conflicts with an existing name on a destination server, you will be asked to rename your character."

Will we know if our characters names conflict before we do the move? I certainly don't want to change servers if I have to rename my characters. I got in at zero hour on early access last year to reserve the names I wanted. Not going to throw that away when Bioware can't figure out how to make account names the unique factor with open character naming like Blizzard did with both D3 and WoW.

It's not hard to log on to your preferred destination server when you find out what it is and just reserve the name (or find out it's already taken) before you actually do the transfer.

Wrong. Each of those will have ONE destination server. More likley would be Eta only for Alpha Beta and Gamma. Then Delta, Epsilon and Zeta would end up going to Theta. If Theta or Eta gets to the point where it gets to the numbers BW wants to see as the limits, then they would go to a different server Limbo. So if all your guildies trnasfer right away and you are last on the list, you may not end up with them as there is also no way to transfer a guild, even if the entire guild signs off on it.

Wrong. They are ensuring that all population of a current origin server will be able to move to the target server.

Wrong.

Direct from the community news on this subject

"Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process. We don't want to promise a destination in case it may change. Listings will become available as servers become eligible for transfer. We can tell you that all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa!"

If I have learned anything from listening to Devs, is that may = will.

Edited by HelinCarnate

It's not hard to log on to your preferred destination server when you find out what it is and just reserve the name (or find out it's already taken) before you actually do the transfer.

How do you check for Legacy Name? Just grind a character through Chapter 1 on each server?

Glad this is coming now, but we really need clarification on a few issues.

• Which servers will be destinations. A huge % of the playerbase may be largely unaffected if their server is a destination. Whilst I understand this may be subject to change, it should be possible to release a list of the top 20-50 servers for US and EU which are likely to be classed as destination servers.
  • How long a downtime can we expect, given that CS will be bombarded with queries, and you just reduced your workforce by around a third?
  • Will there be a downtime period for all players during the transfer process, or just those initiating a transfer?
  • Will players be reimbursed for lost playtime if the downtime extends longer than a day?
  • Will you be mailing unsubbed accounts with a free period to return to game during the transfer process?

Really disappointed that you are chosing this route over server mergers (altho I notice a further comment from Allison implies it will be forced server merger in all but name). This will be chaotic, it will not be reported well in the wider press, and will damage both guilds and wider communities. It also sounds like it will drag on for a while, which isn't ideal.

There really needs to be a concerted show from the devs and CS to appear on the forums and communicate with the players, and I don't mean a handful of people. Also, get an FAQ out asap, it should have been released with update, or at least a summary of points.

just read first, then re read. Then re re read that

then go to reply - type - read about the thing you are typing about. then read some more.

then press submit.

On behalf of Redrum and other guilds of the pre-launch server Dreshdae Cantina, please make us a Destination, as should other pre-launch servers be similarly designated. The active players and guilds on these low population pre-launch servers are some of your longest playing paying subscribers and to have to abandon the ties we have established here could be viewed as a slap in the face.

For your consideration.

Several pages late, but seconded. Having poked around at a few other servers, our population actually doesn't seem that terrible (relatively).

My favorite complaint is that people are worried about losing their precious character names. Really get some creativity or make the realization that you won't die or lose anything if you unfortunately have to change your characters name. The game still plays the same does it not. i don't feel a name should make or break a game. Also the fact that 90% of anyone complaining about these transfers is hilarious because last I checked these forums were filled with threads about transfers and were completely Demanded with threat of unsubbing. It's pretty funny. So perhaps just be happy they are doing something to mend your sorry lives and continue on having fun with this beautiful game regardless if you lose your dumb name.

That I know of, no, not for transfers. But let's be honest, this is a thinly disguised server merger. And when THOSE happen, prioritization has happened. Specifically, I'm thinking SOE with EQ2. I don't know about other games, but it went relatively smoothly there. As long as there were a hard cutoff for when priority could go to the incoming character, I don't see that it would be much of an issue.

But it isnt a merger, if it was then servers would be getting shut down and they arent

If losing your name is a big issue to you then you have the choice to stick with your underpopulated server until they eventually shut it down and merg the players.

The reason why some games give name prio to incoming tranfers as a result of a merger is due to it being involuntary and it would be unfair to expect someone who has had the name longer to change it because of something they have no controll over, that isnt the case here, theyre giving you the choice.

Sure it would be great if they did offer to allow those with the "oldest" toons to keep their name but at the end of the day its extra work that could delay transfers rolling out as soon as they are and its work that would disrupt 2 players gaming time rather than just the one that has chosen to transfer

If they're not currently paying a subscription fee, I don't think they should have any "priority" over someone who is playing now. The paying customer is always more important than the ex-customer who abandoned you.

Likewise, if they want to transfer so badly, let them log onto the site tonight and reactivate their membership. If they're not willing to do that, then they can pay to transfer when the mood finally strikes to them to play the game again. If they want something catered just for them, they need to pay the admission fee first.

Agreed, and the active sub player should have priority over character and legacy names over the cancelled sub player, but I am not sure if the system would be able to do that.

BJ

Seriously.

How about letting people consolidate their legacies on whatever server they want? I can only play one character at a time and I have no interest in being shafted with characters and a legacy on whatever server you decide to stick transfers from Veela where all my other characters are located. I have made a new legacy on Fatman and that is where I want to play.

Free transfers from Veela mean nothing to me unless you let me transfer to Fatman where I have my new legacy. Free transfers from Veela to whatever random server destination you choose means my subscription is still set to expire in 41 days. Whether that gets renewed or not is completely up to you but the way you are handling this is not inspiring much confidence.

Not for nothing, but in the grand scheme of things, your subscription doesn't mean jack compared to the well-being of the entire population as a whole. If they let everyone transfer to Fatman, then everyone is going to transfer to Fatman and will create a queue nightmare. The process needs to be regulated and because of that, there's a chance that this first wave of free transfers will not allow you to consolidate the way YOU want to . You don't like it? Too bad. Take advantage of the transfer you do get. Or don't. You can pay to transfer from Veela to Fatman later. Unsubscribed by then? Again, don't care. The game being better off as a whole is more important than your 10 bucks.

I'm so disappointed. We won't be able to transfer any of our characters to a destination server.

• I first started on Mask of Nihilus, when game launched.
  • Rerolled to Darth Xedrix, because of queues.
  • Rerolled on Fatman, because Darth Xedrix is dead.

Now Bioware is saying that Mask of Nihilus & Darth Xedrix might be in different server groups, which means they might not be able to transfer to one destination server. Very disappointing. They should have just let us transfer all our characters to one destination server. :mad:

I would expect they will take say a group of 10 low pop servers. Designate 1-2 as a destination server and have the other 8 transfer to it making 1-2 more populated servers.

Actually, it will probably be more like they'll take a group of 10 low-pop servers and then an 11th medium pop server and have the 10 low pop servers transfer to the medium pop server in order to make it a high pop server.

They said they'll also be taking maybe a couple of low pop servers and a high pop server and letting the low pops transfer to the high pop.

Basically, they want to end up with a bunch of high pop servers. They're likely not going to make low pop servers transfer to a different low pop server because people won't want to leave to end up in the same predicament they're already in. It will always have to be an upward move.

If you are a really low pop server, chances are you will be an origin and not a destination.

Edited by YanksfanJP

When are we getting a list of which servers we are going to be able to transfer off of and where we can then transfer to?

i hope they tell us this well before Tuesday because guilds need to make decisions as well as notify friends and people on vacation etc.