Optimising my healer for Ops

I've been mostly missing out on OPs so far, concentrating much more on PVP. I would love to do much more PVE now and take a break from PVP, but immediately I noticed my char kinda sucks at healing.

What are your suggestions for min/maxing stats and healing rotations? I find it that sometimes if someone gets a lot of burst damage I almost cannot save him in time. My Dark Infusions casts for 2.4 seconds, dark heal is ok but doesn't heal for so much and innervate's channel isn't enough to save them.

What would your top tips be for me? My char is a Sith Sorc healer with full corruption. Any tips you can give me will be great :)

You need to boost your crit. Chance, power and alacrity. I find keeping op members shields up and refreshing as soon as they drop off, this helps tremendously for keeping the dps of enemies at a manageable level for heals to keep up with.

Apart from that I put my heal over time on the guy drawing aggro whether he needs it or not. So when the burst does inevitably come, they already have a healing effect on them. This can make the difference between them dying or just pull through long enough for you to put an instant heal or channeled heal on them.

That's about it really.

Crits on heals is also a big factor. I haven't hit end game yet and I don't have my aoe heal yet so I can't go into detail there. Hope this helps.

Edited by Adriaticon

You need to boost your crit. Chance, power and alacrity. I find keeping op members shields up and refreshing as soon as they drop off, this helps tremendously for keeping the dps of enemies at a manageable level for heals to keep up with.

Bubbling teammates that are not taking damage is Force and GCD's wasted. If you know the fights you know when people are going to take damage, so only bubble when it is needed. In "normal" fights, if the tank does their job, no one else should really be taking damage. If it's a toss between healing and bubbling, always heal, as the bubble can go to waste if no damage is taken during it's course.

Head over to the Sorc or Sage forums, there's plenty of advice there.

I find keeping op members shields up and refreshing as soon as they drop off, this helps tremendously for keeping the dps of enemies at a manageable level for heals to keep up with.... I haven't hit end game yet and I don't have my aoe heal yet so I can't go into detail there. Hope this helps.

Okay, you're not talking about ops but pre-50 FPs? In boss fights in ops it's ill-advised to try keeping shields on everyone. You'll run out of resource and it'll be wasted on many players - the fights are much longer than FPs. It's fine in 4-man FPs, but I wouldn't recommend it for ops (except in specific situations such as large raid wide damage phases). Generally, I keep shields up on the tanks and only drop them on dps if they begin taking heavy, sustained damage (e.g. they pull aggro off a tank).

Apart from that I put my heal over time on the guy drawing aggro whether he needs it or not. So when the burst does inevitably come, they already have a healing effect on them. This can make the difference between them dying or just pull through long enough for you to put an instant heal or channeled heal on them.

That's about it really.

Crits on heals is also a big factor. I haven't hit end game yet and I don't have my aoe heal yet so I can't go into detail there. Hope this helps.

Oh goodness. This is almost the opposite of the advice I would give.

Firstly, don't bother boosting crit. You upskill both force crit and main stat as a Sorcerer and you will never be short of it even in Columi gear. If anything you'll soon find yourself wanting to reduce your crit in order to make room for more power. It's actually very easy to get a buffed critical % of over 40% without even trying. More than 40% is absolutely a waste. At 40%, your Recklessness will boost your critical chance by another 60% giving a guaranteed crit for when you need the big heals, and you are better served by stacking power and alacrity. Alacrity soon caps out in terms of increasing your HPS, but it massively increases your ability to burst heal and thus your responsiveness and versatility.

Secondly, don't bother bubbling anyone who's not taking direct damage. Save your Static Barrier for burst phases and for the tanks if appropriate. DPS are supposed to avoid damage and manage their own aggro, if they do their job properly it will make yours a lot easier. I'll use my bubble on trash pulls where I know force management isn't going to be an issue for convenience, but very sparingly on trickier fights.

Secondly your HOT is rubbish as a Sorcerer. The most useful function of Resurgence is to bring on Force Bending. If you've saved your bubble you can whack that on after a damage spike and that will buy you the time you need. If not, Innervate does the job of buying a little time very nicely.

Finally force management is the key for end-game PVE. Ops bosses are much longer fights than you will typically encounter in a PVP setting - 5 to 15 minutes - and poor force management is what will let you down every time. Use Resurgence / Innervate / Consumption as part of your regular rotation to top up your force, even if you end up healing yourself or someone who does not need healing. Don't wait until your force is low, start using it at about 60% so you have reserves for unexpected circumstances. Save your Revification for clustered party members (e.g. a ranged DPS group or melee surrounding a boss) and avoid using it at all on single targets or in fights which are very mobile.

Be parsimonious, and don't put up with DPS taking massive damage through sheer laziness and incompetence and expecting you to pull them through. Make sure your ops leader keeps them in line!

BiS as far as stats go is 2382 will, 340-354 crit, Rest power, 360 surge, and 240 alacrity (300/300 if you choose) for sorcs/ops. This will put you at just under 41% (42% with my build) crit proc and 780 bonus heals. Even with recklessness you're only losing 2% crit when bolstered for two moves every minute and a half. Assuming you have one EWHero and power dread guard clickie relic which is currently BiS as long as you remember to press it often.

Priority is

Static bubble if target heals is taking damage otherwise skip>purge if under DoT or status effect> resurgence>invert>revivification>Dark infusion as cooldown heal when not able to use revivification for fifteen seconds>Darkheal as emergency.

Whenever you drop a revivification and everyone is at a decent health level pop as many consumption as you can until you hit around 50% before using unnatural preservation and sit or heal others until you wait for force degeneration to wear off.

Save relic if a burn phase or high damage phase is coming up and couple it with an adrenal.

Buildwise use the 31/7/2 build. in my opinion, dropping one from force surge and adding it to seeping darkness is a better move as your chance to crit will be 42%^4 or 67%^4 and fifty prevent of the time it will proc anyway along with the fact sorcs have horribly regen as it is. You won't notice losing two force regen per force degradation. Coupled with the fact you'll always have a net gain using consumption and unnatural preservation it's a win in my opinion.

Edit: obviously use a willpower stim, and never use A or B mods as they give up too much secondary stats in exchange for willpower/endurance.

Edited by mastirkal

Bubbles are great but the harder the content gets the harder the resource management gets. I found the hard way about using them 2 much. In HM FPs and dailies I spam the crap outa them, but in EC or HM KP/EV youll quickly run outa force. Like others hav said its about where and when 2 use.

A healers delight is a group that learns how to minimize the damage phases. Its blatantly clear the difference between healing an exp group vs one thts not. Somtimes its not possible to heal those squishy pvpers that totlly melt on a damage phase. Then u gota listen to them complain about not getting healed enough.

Also i switch between the +350 power and the +350 alacrity relics often. Not really sure if one's better then the other but 2bsure the casting boost(alacrity) is great for a sage cause IMO were pretty slow on the draw in terms of insta cast. The problem with that is the faster u cast the faster ur force bar drops so heres where the power relic is handy.

Augmenting every piece available also gave a noticable boost in life and power. I went with all Will/ End augs. I should Prob do the MIN/Max thing but some say its not tht big of a deal and if u do it needs to b right on. I seem 2 do fine with the standard gear progression and learning where n when to HOT/ Bubble/cc/ etc.

A lot of good points, one of the things to remember is that while resurgence isnt going to save anyone's life, its really damn important to keep getting force bending. Sometimes you may even just innervate for the proc, so that you can keep your force up.

In my experience healing is just a lot of in the moment strategy, determining who needs the heal at that moment, what rotation of heals you are going to do on each person. Hardest part for me is generally the first time through, once youve healed something, you get a better understanding and if you can anticipate spikes it just makes life easier.

How did you arrive at such a small range of crit rating values?

Math, complied data, the healing forums and the plausible combination of pieces using 63 slots. You can only get 340, 352 and 354 as it is without shooting to 381-396 which digs into the curve very hard. Once you go over 352 you hit the curve at a point where power becomes more optimal. This is for a number of reasons, but the greatest is because the expected modifier from your crit and surge starts to turn in less when applied to the coefficient of the healing powers involved.

You can test it out on a parser, but as long as we don't hit the awful stats of 2.0 this is literally the best combination of secondary stats a sorc/ops can have. Some argue that stacking overkill augs is a good idea, but I say bunk. Willpower is the greatest stat to have currently as a healer as it gives 0.14 healing power and its critical rating does not compete with your critical chance stat. DPS wise overkill is a godsend.

Thank you for the suggestions:

Currently I heal like this:

-Before tank jumps i put a bubble on hit and resurgence to tick on him and give me force bending

-I use mostly dark infusion, because I have high crit and almost always I hit for 5500+ (My bonus healing is about 560)

-If his Hp starts falling fast I use resurgence and innervate for fast ticks before I use Dark Infusion, so he has a bigger HP margin to last during my 2.4 seconds activation time

Now for emergencies I'm not sure if it's the best but I quickly put resurgence on him, bubble and then innervate + Dark Infusion or Dark heal if the situation is really bad, then I can put a healing bubble and proceed with more timed heals

A big problem for me is when the group starts taking damage, I can't heal several people fast enough if all of them are getting burst. Of course it might be the tanks problem that he didn't aggro but in the end it's up to me to save them. What are your tips for emergency healing of people not stacked together for aoe heal?

P.S: Will post my stats later and we can take a look at them as well :)