Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Healing is boring.

Borlod
02.15.2016 , 03:34 PM | #1
I usually play either as tank or dps, but decided to give a go as healer with sith sorcerer. The result was that I got bored in first 10 minutes of the gameplay.
So I was wondering why not introduce a new healing spec, dps-heal. You heal your group members as you dps targets, and by using dps abilities you unlock your healing abilities. Obviously you wont do as much dps as nornal dps specs, but more flavour to healing is desperately needed.
Thoughts?

LordTurin
02.15.2016 , 03:43 PM | #2
As a healer, during slow times of fights you should be dpsing anyway. No reason to make doing dps a requirement for healing.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

JouerTue
02.15.2016 , 03:56 PM | #3
sorc is the easiest, you could try to swap to another healer.
also maybe you didn't get the insight of the class, like not overhealing or how's best to top off people or how to keep group high before spikes arrive.
then you should move to a more difficult content..like HM FP, pugging with 3 bads and so doing tank/healer, HM/nim ops. during some encounters you miss a GCD and someone dies..
finally as the above poster suggested..do more dps. great healers can do 1k-1.5k dps easily during some HM fights
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr

Soluss
02.15.2016 , 04:06 PM | #4
Chloromancer in Rift was by far my most favorite healing class ever. It was a ton of fun and pretty much what you are asking for... dps to heal.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

Elzen
02.15.2016 , 11:08 PM | #5
I'd be curious how you could actually balance such a class.

If it's doing more DPS than the current healers (and I mean significantly more, not minor 5% differences), it would necessarily need to do significantly less heals or it simply becomes the only healer people bring in progression. If it does less heals than the other classes, then there are fights where that just isn't going to be enough, so you don't bring this class in progression.

So then the only option would be to put both its heals and its DPS on par with current classes (yes, I know operative healer DPS is much lower than sorc healer DPS). If you need to use DPS skills to use your heal skills, then given that your DPS is low, you would be spending many GCDs per fight doing almost nothing. Either that, or you have multiple skills that are off the GCD and this whole class would play very differently than any of the current classes. (Not saying this is a bad thing, just observing.)

I played LOTRO for a while and the Warden was a very different class compared to any others and they made that work. So it's probably doable, I'm just curious how it would be done.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grumpftard View Post
The secret to tanking is to play like a crappy DPS. Play it like that DPS in the GF that always makes you say "*** is this guy doing?"

T-Ginge
02.15.2016 , 11:19 PM | #6
What gameplay are you talking about?

The reason I ask is because while healing is extremely boring and faceroll in single player and story mode operations, healing in HM/NiM operations and to a lesser extent HM flashpoints can be pretty fun.
Torlong

<Desecration>

Borlod
02.16.2016 , 01:38 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Elzen View Post
I'd be curious how you could actually balance such a class.

If it's doing more DPS than the current healers (and I mean significantly more, not minor 5% differences), it would necessarily need to do significantly less heals or it simply becomes the only healer people bring in progression. If it does less heals than the other classes, then there are fights where that just isn't going to be enough, so you don't bring this class in progression.

So then the only option would be to put both its heals and its DPS on par with current classes (yes, I know operative healer DPS is much lower than sorc healer DPS). If you need to use DPS skills to use your heal skills, then given that your DPS is low, you would be spending many GCDs per fight doing almost nothing. Either that, or you have multiple skills that are off the GCD and this whole class would play very differently than any of the current classes. (Not saying this is a bad thing, just observing.)

I played LOTRO for a while and the Warden was a very different class compared to any others and they made that work. So it's probably doable, I'm just curious how it would be done.
Yea, hard to balance, but to me as long as I do attacks to do heals, don't matter how high or low dps is and as long as resulting heal is good, then nothing to complain. After all, healer is not to top dps charts but to heal. Problem might come with balancing normal style healers with dps healers, since if normal healers don't dps to heal and heal same amount as dps, then a need for normal healer would be gone, then if dps healer heals less, then the only roles it would be able to perform is to offheal in ops and perhaps maximum to be able to solo heroic difficulty dungs.
So some solution surely is available, just need to find it.

Borlod
02.16.2016 , 01:42 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Ginge View Post
What gameplay are you talking about?

The reason I ask is because while healing is extremely boring and faceroll in single player and story mode operations, healing in HM/NiM operations and to a lesser extent HM flashpoints can be pretty fun.
I played normal flashpoints. Problem I see is that healer has way less abilities to heal than dps or even tank has at its disposal to perform its duties and that is something I find boring, is to use 3-5 abilities and that is it.

casirabit
02.16.2016 , 01:49 PM | #9
I've been a healer since launch and love it but then again if I don't have to heal someone I do some dps but I always keep an eye on my teammates and my action bar. I will never do more dps that requires too much action to be lost in case a teammember health drops.

Sometimes playing a healer isn't for everyone, just like a tank. I will never play a tank as I don't like to be a tank. I do mostly healer but have a couple of dps but I do not also jump into things without the tanks setting the lead, but then again most flashpoints I do are hard modes.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

LordTurin
02.16.2016 , 01:57 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Borlod View Post
I played normal flashpoints. Problem I see is that healer has way less abilities to heal than dps or even tank has at its disposal to perform its duties and that is something I find boring, is to use 3-5 abilities and that is it.
Eh, if you are a half decent player with a half decent group you'll probably find most tactical fps pretty boring. Try hms and ops (especially with bad groups lol) and you'll see how tough and fast paced it can be.

Also, sorc heals have as many healing abilities as most dps do in their rotation anyway, ya dps may have more "abilities" but a lot of them are literally never used.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB