Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

pug tanking trends

JouerTue
03.06.2015 , 03:50 AM | #1
if a player tanks some pugs, he will get across a lot of things, different players and repeating patterns in players behavior. in the end he will probably hear always the same stuff.
in particular he will be almost always paired with another tank, which from what i found out, tend to want to do always the same things and don't want to learn anything new, once what they know seems to work.
which is translated in doing always the same role in all the ops bosses, despite of the tanks are two.
these following examples are based on my experience in pug tanking in the last two or so years.

General

- let me main tank: you will hear this a lot, doesn't mind gear or experience, it's just who has the biggest HP pool and generally raidwide accepted. even in fights where tanks do the same things( tfb kephess f.e.)

- i take the boss: in tank and spank fights with adds it's the easier thing to do, so the mighty main tank with so many HP actually decides to do the easiest of the tank jobs, this is fun, especially in fights like master and blaster, where i would espect to hear '' i take the small one'' from a so called main tank..

- guard the healer: another big classical, despite you are aggroing everything really good and healers are sleeping, there won't be any pull until you guard the green goo spammer.

- taunting back trash or boss: this is unpleasant..you taunt a mob to split the damage, a boss to force a swap being ignored or to have it in a better position..and they get immediately taunted back, like you are a annoying dps.

and now boss specific examples, i admit i give this some help asking everytime ''which one you want to take?'' or ''how you want to do it?'':

most of the fights in sm are tank and spank or with unsignificant tanks mechanics, and in the last year the overgearing was so rampant, that a lot of mechanics have been cheesed and so lost, but some remain evergreens of pug tanking..

TFB
dread guards: ''i take kel'sara'' then taunts back with 30 stacks.

SNV
thrasher: ''i take the boss''.
olok: ''i take the boss''.
warlords: ''you take sunder'', proceeds to taunt back on thchuk even if at 10% hp.

DF
draxus: ''i take the boss'' and be grateful if you get the aoe taunt on last wave to aggro the guardians and let you taunt back one.
grob: ''i take the boss'' and the he stands still ignoring magnets, or ''i take the adds''.
corruptor: ''i take the boss'' so blame is on you if dps slack on the adds and incompetent healers die.
brontes: guess what, ''i take the boss, you do clones''.

DP
bestia: ''i take the boss''
tyrans: this is the most randomly done boss in the whole history in my opinion ao there's no trend here .
calphayus: i usually was sent in the future on the last phase, it seems nobody wants to take the responsibility to position the boss under the cyrcle.
raptus: tanked on one of the crystals, you cause wipes if you move it an inch and you just have to hope to not get knocked out of the platform.
coucil: my favorite..i've never tanked calphayus until i've done it HM.

Ravagers

sparky: ''i take the boss''
bulo: taking the barrels in sm causes wipes, even if in hm i do it all the time
master and blaster: i've never tanked blaster..i do at least 2-3 pugs weekly tanking..
coratanni: i've never tanked cora..only pearl

ToS

malaphar: taunting the boss to relieve a 20 stacks tank is a jerk move apparently and so the boss is promplty taunted back..you know just in case something goes wrong, but no.
SS: ''i take U2'' and here a good 50% of tanks actually taunts U1 from you when targeted, while like 10% or less of U2 tanks takes the bomb. and when tanking U2 there's a good % of U1 tanks taunting back immediately.
Lurker: ''can you respec?''
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr

Methoxa
03.06.2015 , 04:19 AM | #2
Nothing new, remember going Fortress NiM with a pugged tank who had 54k hp and taunted nefra all the time, making it nearly impossible for the cotank not to get stacks.Right before the groupwide hit he taunted again, but instead of running to the place where the group usually stacks he didnt move at all and got one-shotted. His words were : " Bad Healers can't even top up a bis tank". I the cotank just lolled at his commendation gear. He was sure he was experienced in Fortress NIM and killed everything on another account.

This was pre 3.0
Revanchist

llayles
03.06.2015 , 09:27 AM | #3
I've been kicked more times than I can count for not guarding the healer, AFTER explaining why you don't guard the healer. Moral of the story: bads gonna bad.

bdatt
03.06.2015 , 09:44 AM | #4
It's fun being the off tank on blaster, pulling threat on the 2nd GCD (even when doing a low threat opener) and cleaving the raid.

You could follow up with "guard plz" and see how those healers demanding guard themselves respond to a tank asking for guard.

Whojoo
03.07.2015 , 01:44 AM | #5
I usually guard the healer, but that is because I don't think of dps as a threat usually and I rather have the 5% dmg reduction on my healers. If the dps pulls agro, guard or not, then I did something wrong.
Though sometimes I just slap it on a strong dps.
The Red Eclipse
Republic Enforcers Suddenly Taken Over

flem
03.07.2015 , 05:17 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JouerTue View Post
master and blaster: i've never tanked blaster..i do at least 2-3 pugs weekly tanking..
coratanni: i've never tanked cora..only pearl
This is for the best, since Master and Pearl actually require paying attention, unlike SM Blaster/Cora.

Quote:
ToS
You pug TOS!? You're a braver man than I am.

Quote: Originally Posted by bdatt View Post
It's fun being the off tank on blaster, pulling threat on the 2nd GCD (even when doing a low threat opener) and cleaving the raid.
(Raises hand sheepishly.)
Jedi Covenant | Formerly: Squadron 840; Shii-Cho | Bring back warzone pets!

namesaretough
03.08.2015 , 09:30 AM | #7
To be fair, if I'm ever in a TOS pug I'll always want to take unit 2 on sword squadron just in case the other tank gets himself killed, you can solotank if the unit 1 tank dies but if the unit 2 tank does it's a wipe

Other than that, I always let the other tank tell me what role they want me to do. It's always nice to get to be lazy on fights like sparky and coratanni if the other tank feels like playing with adds/pearl though!
Smugglin

JouerTue
03.08.2015 , 11:22 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by flem View Post
You pug TOS!? You're a braver man than I am.
actually i do it weekly and on multiple toons..the only thing you need is the time to cycle through all the dps bads that join.

i also always ask for what the other tank preferes, since i'm comfortable with all the roles, but yes, it's too good when you can be lazy..
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr

straseed
03.11.2015 , 11:45 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Whojoo View Post
I usually guard the healer, but that is because I don't think of dps as a threat usually and I rather have the 5% dmg reduction on my healers. If the dps pulls agro, guard or not, then I did something wrong.
Though sometimes I just slap it on a strong dps.
If your DPS can't pull aggro off of you, they aren't very good.

namesaretough
03.11.2015 , 01:07 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by straseed View Post
If your DPS can't pull aggro off of you, they aren't very good.
Especially with the new 4pc bonus, but even without, there's no reason for dps to pull off you on any tank class, at least for long enough to take an attack from the boss (nothing wrong with waiting for target of target to flash to someone else before taunting early in the fight except in very limited and specific situations).
Smugglin