Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alderaan!

SteveTheCynic
03.26.2019 , 11:38 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
And they already have that. I don't know how they place hooks, but they have those tools. All they need to do is give them to us
"I don't know how they place hooks, but I do know they can easily give us whatever it is." Is that about what you just said?

To be sure they have tools for placing static hooks into a template that every player's stronghold uses.

Those tools are set up for stronghold layout artists to use, and are undoubtedly entirely unsuited to the game-playing public. I've seen some vaguely related game-layout tools, and no, they are not for the faint of heart. "Productizing" them (i.e. making them part of the game's "product" code, with all the floo-flah that entails) is likely to be a non-trivial chunk of work, and (combined with the displaceable hook system itself) would be rather more than a month's work once you throw in an acre or seventeen of testing.(1)

The other point is that currently, they have *one* copy of that hook-layout data, not one per stronghold, so it would be a chunk of work to load and store the hook positions from the right data set (followed by the current step of loading the decoration placement data per hook). And of course those hook positions would depend on the stronghold owner rather than the stronghold viewer - if I visit your stronghold, I should see the hooks where you put them, not where I put them. There's a certain amount of that information already, in the sense that it must be able to load "layout" selection data for large hooks (is that a large or two mediums or four smalls?), but there would be even more.

No. Keep it simple. Let people put decorations where they want with no hooks.

(1) I'd like to mention at this point that while I don't work on video games, being a professional developer has paid my rent for thirty years.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Collec
03.26.2019 , 03:49 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
"I don't know how they place hooks, but I do know they can easily give us whatever it is." Is that about what you just said?

(1) I'd like to mention at this point that while I don't work on video games, being a professional developer has paid my rent for thirty years.
Yes I said,that I don't know, how and what tools they actually use to place hooks,but what they have,we can have.

Lol at stronghold layout artists and lol at 30 years professional developer. who doesn't work on games,but makes a living of it.

And all I am gonna say it's an MMO. "Stronghold layout artists" "vision" of hook placement is a joke. Sh's with outside areas have trash hooks placements...Umbara train one...as you move toward front of train,there's less and less hooks.

Yes if you go into my sh, you'll see my decos, not yours. Same as you do now. Keep up good work,I see you made right career choice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REFERRAL LINK : http://www.swtor.com/r/ZB5DWv

DanielAstrol
04.28.2019 , 08:18 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
Alderaan is overrated for ALL-THE-WRONG reasons. Sure some scenery is nice,but then what happens is that you got oversized trees or right size..depends on your view...and then you deco trees and **** just seem to small. Plus with ****** hook placement and grass area and outdoors pretty much trash hooks.

First give Manaan 5 extra rooms it needs, then work on other sh's. Also give us options,where we want hooks to be. Rishi is cool, but same old story..trash hook placements. Only that room,where devs " spend 1 week" creating it,is kinda cool hook placement. Best hook placements are in Courscant and DK sh. But once you have those outside hook sh's is just sad.
THIS! This here. We deserve this.
https://tord.mmo-fashion.com/manaan-...le-meditation/
Here's my REF link. Click to get the goodies.
http://www.swtor.com/r/qmgJH3