Theran Shan?

GorkieX

I also Need to point out, again, that it was my peacekeeper who got the "you'd throw me in the brig" lines from Theron, and it was my Empress' (2 characters) who got the "I wanted to tell you --" lines. Either my game is massively bugged or the lines are not actually tied solely to the throne choice. It would affect it, if there's nothing else to do so, but can not be the sole decider since I got the opposite results to what people claim three times.

I still firmly stand in the "I'm excited over the rest of the story to come!" camp.. but also firmly in the "if he's killable in the end, he better still have content for those of us who didn't do that." which so far is non-existent in the game with other killable characters.

Edited by Asmodesu

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still firmly stand in the "I'm excited over the rest of the story to come!" camp.. but also firmly in the "if he's killable in the end, he better still have content for those of us who didn't do that." which so far is non-existent in the game with other killable characters.

This is what concerns me most, not that he could be killable but the scenario of him never playing a part in the story anymore even for those who don't kill him, AKA every returned companion at this point.

This is what concerns me most, not that he could be killable but the scenario of him never playing a part in the story anymore even for those who don't kill him, AKA every returned companion at this point.

Agreeing with this completely. I actually would prefer if Lana and Theron both had Plot Armor against ever being killed, in a perfect world. But if that option ever does arise, I wouldn't want it to mean that they fade away to very minor roles, the way the other killable companions have.

OTOH, Senya and Arcann are killable, and if you keep them they basically dominate the last few chapters of KOTET - so perhaps that will be the new trend.

Interesting read! however, I wonder how much changes when one disregards every single romance specific line/reaction he gives. Does the infiltration theory still hold up so well with non-romanced Commanders?

I'm curious, I do know he apologises at the end on his ship to a Commander that puts a bounty on his head. Just "I'm sorry, Commander" *clicks off the holonet." which helps for the theory at least.

I get what you are saying but my problem is that he says that (if the bounty is put on him), yet he still sends you a mail message all ticked off at your character. Why even bother with that? Is the Order making him send these messages or is he doing it on his own? If they are making him, then his angry response makes sense (if he is undercover). On the non-bounty side though why would the order allow him to send a message saying he still loves/respects your character. This is why I don't think the Order is behind his mail messages because of the Non-bounty one. However, it makes me wonder why send the other one unless he truly feels that way - that he really is glad to have betrayed you.

I also think they should have had two types of emails for the "bounty" one. A separate one if you romanced him saying like he is surprised you did this and is hurt by that or something of that nature.

Edited by Swingkittie

I get what you are saying but my problem is that he says that (if the bounty is put on him), yet he still sends you a mail message all ticked off at your character. Why even bother with that? Is the Order making him send these messages or is he doing it on his own? If they are making him, then his angry response makes sense (if he is undercover). On the non-bounty side though why would the order allow him to send a message saying he still loves/respects your character. This is why I don't think the Order is behind his mail messages because of the Non-bounty one. However, it makes me wonder why send the other one unless he truly feels that way - that he really is glad to have betrayed you.

I also think they should have had two types of emails for the "bounty" one. A separate one if you romanced him saying like he is surprised you did this and is hurt by that or something of that nature.

Yeah the bounty one is same no matter what. It's very possible the writer's only thought of 3 options for the player character's reaction: Theron come home, Theron I still love you, Theron you're dead. No mixes, it's likely they never took into account a romanced character would set a 1 billion bounty on their lover's head for dead or alive reward.

And yeah, that's quite a bounty it reads that to use that option and it to make sense your character would have had to be driving him off with their choices this whole time, and been angry as heck in the train etc.

Edited by Asmodesu

OTOH, Senya and Arcann are killable, and if you keep them they basically dominate the last few chapters of KOTET - so perhaps that will be the new trend.

But after KOTET, they vanished. Think of Iokath and now Umbara.

They have to stop killing LI's because it ruined the story. Other characters, I don't mind, but LI's should be there forever.

I wonder if the next expansion is going to be Lana, Gault and T7 against the order... :rolleyes:

But after KOTET, they vanished. Think of Iokath and now Umbara.

They have to stop killing LI's because it ruined the story. Other characters, I don't mind, but LI's should be there forever.

I wonder if the next expansion is going to be Lana, Gault and T7 against the order... :rolleyes:

I do agree with you. I think the LIs should always have a large part in the story, and that being killable shouldn't make a character invisible.

Arcann and all of the LIs send letters after Umbara, so I am hoping it's a step in the right direction in terms of incorporating the companions more into the story. They made a point of ensuring both Lana and Theron had romance moments in both Iokath and Umbara, as well, and again, I'm hoping that's a step in the right direction for more LI content.

• 2 weeks later...

according to reddit thread on the podcast thingy

- Traitor Theron upset people, this was an intended Game of Thrones-style, Charles wanted to convey lessons of trust and ensure the traitor was deeply rooted in the story and lore.

- This Story Arc is far from over, Theron will be part of the future as well, Charles teased there will be some connection to the original Agent story.

So is it possible that next time they can write a betrayal character so that it makes sense for all players, classes and stuff, please. That's all I ask... the scene made perfect sense only if you played a very specific tyrannical murder everything conquering character, the more pragmatic characters got nothing that made sense.

If all this is for "lol's we wanted you to be upset regardless of if it makes any sense" instead of actually keeping characters to their already developed personalities, reacting properly to the character's type, or at least explaining it properly, I am not supporting that.

Can't take that reasoning seriously and a proper, take every word at face value for what Theron says, as I personally always thought even if I looked into other peoples theories they all fell flat to me but I did try, he really does want the alliance taken down. the betrayal dialogue made no sense at all for my romanced LS main character sadly, the entire conversation was completely disjointed in what was said by Theron jumping from "mad/angry/you're bad for the galaxy/die!"to "sad/sorry/I love you still" moods every second line, it felt so dumb and a bit cringy I had no idea what was going on the first time I watched the cutscenes, because of how disjointed it was for my character. I wish that wasn't the case.

The writing of the cutscenes that is dumb, not the traitor idea. I love the traitor idea a lot especially involving Theron, I just think it was a poorly represented traitor reveal in the game itself.

I always knew this was just the start of the next major story arc, which excites me regardless of my issues with how the dialogue has been written so far.

Maybe they'll represent it in better writing and dialogue next time, like.. next year at this rate. I'll be back when there's some more story to play but it'll be last straw, so please please let it finally make sense.

Edited by Asmodesu

- Traitor Theron upset people, this was an intended Game of Thrones-style, Charles wanted to convey lessons of trust and ensure the traitor was deeply rooted in the story and lore.

- This Story Arc is far from over, Theron will be part of the future as well, Charles teased there will be some connection to the original Agent story.

So is it possible that next time they can write a betrayal character so that it makes sense for all players, classes and stuff, please. That's all I ask... the scene made perfect sense only if you played a very specific tyrannical murder everything conquering character, the more pragmatic characters got nothing that made sense.

If all this is for "lol's we wanted you to be upset regardless of if it makes any sense" instead of actually keeping characters to their already developed personalities, reacting properly to the character's type, or at least explaining it properly, I am not supporting that.

Can't take that reasoning seriously and a proper, take every word at face value for what Theron says, as I personally always thought even if I looked into other peoples theories they all fell flat to me but I did try, he really does want the alliance taken down. the betrayal dialogue made no sense at all for my romanced LS main character sadly, the entire conversation was completely disjointed in what was said by Theron jumping from "mad/angry/you're bad for the galaxy/die!"to "sad/sorry/I love you still" moods every second line, it felt so dumb and a bit cringy I had no idea what was going on the first time I watched the cutscenes, because of how disjointed it was for my character. I wish that wasn't the case.

The writing of the cutscenes that is dumb, not the traitor idea. I love the traitor idea a lot especially involving Theron, I just think it was a poorly represented traitor reveal in the game itself.

I always knew this was just the start of the next major story arc, which excites me regardless of my issues with how the dialogue has been written so far.

Maybe they'll represent it in better writing and dialogue next time, like.. next year at this rate. I'll be back when there's some more story to play but it'll be last straw, so please please let it finally make sense.

I agree as it is right now it doesn't make any sense for LS but I went back and listened to that podcast where they were talking about it and after discussing how people were upset and that the story relates to trust and stuff Boyd did say something about that he hopes players show them (the writers) some trust in that the story will play out in a way they enjoy. So I'm still hopeful there will be more to it. Still really worried he's going to be killable though :(

And while it's hard to believe them anytime they say "soon", they were talking like there wouldn't be much of a wait for the next story bit and they said it will be a direct continuation of the Theron stuff.

I think we might be overthinking this. I certainly don't think we need to be worried. Whilst no, the story so far mightn't make sense for a LS MC. I think this was what the three letters were intended to be for. I thought, the three letter were well written, and these three letters lead me to believe that there will be different outcomes.

TBH BioWare needs to earn my trust back. The only reason I'm still subscribed is because my non gamer friend who I had been trying to get to play games with me for like 20 years finally decided she wanted to play SWtOR with me. Not because I have faith or excitement about whatever they have planned next. It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised but I'm going to Eeyore my way along until we know for sure.

Do you have a theory of your own? I'd like to read it! :)

Edited by Eshvara

I'm actually unsure if I posted my theory here, but here we go. Warning; obvious spoilers for the Agent storyline and some parts of the counsellor storyline, and of course KOFTE, Iokath and Umbra.

I think Theron is playing the double agent, so to speak. Obviously, the enemy has been watching the Alliance for some time and may have tapped coms. Regardless, if they were a big threat, then you would need everything to go as smoothly as possible, hence, the double agent where the Alliance commander doesn't actually know what Theron's true motives are. But he's leaving clues.

The first clue I've seen is when in the first cutscene when you win the throne, and Theron is deep at work looking at all the information coming in when Lana is telling him to relax and celebrate. While this could also be about the fighting between the Empire and Republic, but we know he was planning this, both of them had seen the reports. Theron's the reason why the conflict was happening. He was seeding information to all three groups. So, was Theron planning this as soon as you removed Valkorian and got onto the throne? That makes zero sense unless he knows there's something else out there. Or he's been aware of them right from the get-go? Maybe that's why he was missing during the first part of the expansion and came in late?

When you get to Iokath and side with the Empire, his father obviously dies in the process due to connecting with the chair. Obviously, the guy was completely fried, his nervous system went to crap. When the Outlander connects to the chair; obviously it's dangerous. It could kill them. What if it was supposed to and Theron's interference or tampering wasn't actually trying to get you killed, but to stop you from dying from neuro overload. I believe if you get a message from a romanced Dorne that it could have killed you, so you being ejected when you were most likely saved your life.

If he were working with this shadowy group, then he would have gotten into the group just for assassinating you right there and then. Your survival or rather, his interference saved your life but resulted in the Shadowy group to ask more of him to be accepted. This means he needed to do something much more drastic. This is what resulted in Umbra.

If Theron's father is killed you also get a message on how he's having nightmares etc. He's suffering from guilt. Beyond this, when Lana and Theron argue about how to find the rat, he approves if you don't ruin the trust of the alliance by snooping into their mail. Stop and consider this for a moment, why would he want that? He can get around any security the alliance has concerning communication, it wouldn't affect him if we monitored the mail. Allowing us to snoop and screen, our alliance soldiers would have worked in his favour if he wanted to destroy the Alliance. He didn't want that. He knew the sting of his betrayal would hit deep, but more damage certainly wasn't needed right now. It needed to be strong to fight this new enemy. He didn't want our paranoia wreaking the alliance.

Let's fast forward to Umbra. What he says doesn't make a lick of sense, nor the fact he set 'phasers' to stun. Wouldn't killing Lana, or you, since it was aimed for you right there on the train make more sense? A SIS agent wouldn't be that sloppy. Theron isn't that sloppy.

And of course we go back to the fact what he said makes no sense, but it angers/upsets the commander. Enough so to believe what he's doing is a pure blind betrayal. He needed that. This happened in clone wars, where Obi-wan faked his death and the council refused to tell Anakin. Anakin's reaction was what sold it. I believe this is what the Devs were going for. Acting is one thing, but nothing beats that pure emotional distress. You could hear it in the commander's voice when they sent the message. This is what resulted in them accepting Theron into their group.

What's more is that Theron left the crystals, yet again, sloppy. Why would he do that? Now we have super powerful crystals for us to make super tech and defend ourselves.

I read somewhere that this whole arch is going to be tied somewhat into the Agents storyline, and there's only one group I can think that would work with this. The Star Cabal.

The Star Cabal has one purpose and was 'Formed with the purpose of eradicating the Jedi and Sith, allowing for once the 'ordinary people to rule','

The Star Cabal knew about SCORPIO and the Iokath technology. They had their agents everywhere, including on Tython. Think about that, they want to completely eliminate everyone who's force sensitive so this never crops up again. Or to simply destroy the Republic's Guardians and annihilate the Empire, and now, the Alliance.

Supposedly they dissiolved when Cipher Nine busted down doors, but they didn't kill all of them. Some went missing, and obviously it's a massive group. A huge group. Just because some of the leaders were killed doesn't mean they can't come back with a vengence.

I think this is the group that is now our enemy. This is the group Theran is trying to take down. They want to destroy everything, they want to kill his mother, his friends... etc.

But we could counterbalance this and say, maybe he's joining the Star Cabal so he can stop wars, bring peace. Ask yourself something, does that seem like Theran? Would he kill millions, billions to stop wars? Would he allow his mother to die, would he allow his friends to die? Would he throw his old master, a Jedi who raised him - and father figure - teachings to the ground? No. He is a Shan, and he's every bit as tennacious as his great great great grandfather was. But he won't go back on what he is. That's not Theron Shan.

One friend has to give everything up, his friends, his life, to save the republic, to save everyone. Think about it. If the Jedi and Sith are killed, the Empire would win regardless. They have superior technology, they are dogmatic, they are ruled by clear and strict military.

I think, the Voss Dajan-Ko was talking about Theron. He's risking everything, complete isolation to save everything. His friends, his family, his way of life, this thing he has built... and his lover. This is Theron Shan. And he is not a traitor.

Edited by StarkHelsing

I'm actually unsure if I posted my theory here, but here we go. Warning; obvious spoilers for the Agent storyline and some parts of the counsellor storyline, and of course KOFTE, Iokath and Umbra.

I think Theron is playing the double agent, so to speak. Obviously, the enemy has been watching the Alliance for some time and may have tapped coms. Regardless, if they were a big threat, then you would need everything to go as smoothly as possible, hence, the double agent where the Alliance commander doesn't actually know what Theron's true motives are. But he's leaving clues.

The first clue I've seen is when in the first cutscene when you win the throne, and Theron is deep at work looking at all the information coming in when Lana is telling him to relax and celebrate. While this could also be about the fighting between the Empire and Republic, but we know he was planning this, both of them had seen the reports. Theron's the reason why the conflict was happening. He was seeding information to all three groups. So, was Theron planning this as soon as you removed Valkorian and got onto the throne? That makes zero sense unless he knows there's something else out there. Or he's been aware of them right from the get-go? Maybe that's why he was missing during the first part of the expansion and came in late?

When you get to Iokath and side with the Republic, his father obviously dies in the process due to connecting with the chair. Obviously, the guy was completely fried, his nervous system went to crap. When the Outlander connects to the chair; obviously it's dangerous. It could kill them. What if it was supposed to and Theron's interference or tampering wasn't actually trying to get you killed, but to stop you from dying from neuro overload. I believe if you get a message from a romanced Dorne that it could have killed you, so you being ejected when you were most likely saved your life.

If he were working with this shadowy group, then he would have gotten into the group just for assassinating you right there and then. Your survival or rather, his interference saved your life but resulted in the Shadowy group to ask more of him to be accepted. This means he needed to do something much more drastic. This is what resulted in Umbra.

If Theron's father is killed you also get a message on how he's having nightmares etc. He's suffering from guilt. Beyond this, when Lana and Theron argue about how to find the rat, he approves if you don't ruin the trust of the alliance by snooping into their mail. Stop and consider this for a moment, why would he want that? He can get around any security the alliance has concerning communication, it wouldn't affect him if we monitored the mail. Allowing us to snoop and screen, our alliance soldiers would have worked in his favour if he wanted to destroy the Alliance. He didn't want that. He knew the sting of his betrayal would hit deep, but more damage certainly wasn't needed right now. It needed to be strong to fight this new enemy. He didn't want our paranoia wreaking the alliance.

Let's fast forward to Umbra. What he says doesn't make a lick of sense, nor the fact he set 'phasers' to stun. Wouldn't killing Lana, or you, since it was aimed for you right there on the train make more sense? A SIS agent wouldn't be that sloppy. Theron isn't that sloppy.

And of course we go back to the fact what he said makes no sense, but it angers/upsets the commander. Enough so to believe what he's doing is a pure blind betrayal. He needed that. This happened in clone wars, where Obi-wan faked his death and the council refused to tell Anakin. Anakin's reaction was what sold it. I believe this is what the Devs were going for. Acting is one thing, but nothing beats that pure emotional distress. You could hear it in the commander's voice when they sent the message. This is what resulted in them accepting Theron into their group.

What's more is that Theron left the crystals, yet again, sloppy. Why would he do that? Now we have super powerful crystals for us to make super tech and defend ourselves.

I read somewhere that this whole arch is going to be tied somewhat into the Agents storyline, and there's only one group I can think that would work with this. The Star Cabal.

The Star Cabal has one purpose and was 'Formed with the purpose of eradicating the Jedi and Sith, allowing for once the 'ordinary people to rule','

The Star Cabal knew about SCORPIO and the Iokath technology. They had their agents everywhere, including on Tython. Think about that, they want to completely eliminate everyone who's force sensitive so this never crops up again. Or to simply destroy the Republic's Guardians and annihilate the Empire, and now, the Alliance.

Supposedly they dissiolved when Cipher Nine busted down doors, but they didn't kill all of them. Some went missing, and obviously it's a massive group. A huge group. Just because some of the leaders were killed doesn't mean they can't come back with a vengence.

I think this is the group that is now our enemy. This is the group Theran is trying to take down. They want to destroy everything, they want to kill his mother, his friends... etc.

But we could counterbalance this and say, maybe he's joining the Star Cabal so he can stop wars, bring peace. Ask yourself something, does that seem like Theran? Would he kill millions, billions to stop wars? Would he allow his mother to die, would he allow his friends to die? Would he throw his old master, a Jedi who raised him - and father figure - teachings to the ground? No. He is a Shan, and he's every bit as tennacious as his great great great grandfather was. But he won't go back on what he is. That's not Theron Shan.

One friend has to give everything up, his friends, his life, to save the republic, to save everyone. Think about it. If the Jedi and Sith are killed, the Empire would win regardless. They have superior technology, they are dogmatic, they are ruled by clear and strict military.

I think, the Voss was talking about Theron. He's risking everything, complete isolation to save everything. His friends, his family, his way of life, this thing he has built... and his lover. This is Theron Shan. And he is not a traitor.

Good read. And I agree his speech sounds nothing like something he would say, even to a ruthless DS player. I recently read Annihilation again and the entire plot of that novel hinged on Theron being totally NOT okay with sacrificing millions for the "greater good". So it doesn't make sense that he'd be okay with sacrificing people now either.

When you get to Iokath and side with the Empire, his father obviously dies in the process due to connecting with the chair. Obviously, the guy was completely fried, his nervous system went to crap. When the Outlander connects to the chair; obviously it's dangerous. It could kill them. What if it was supposed to and Theron's interference or tampering wasn't actually trying to get you killed, but to stop you from dying from neuro overload. I believe if you get a message from a romanced Dorne that it could have killed you, so you being ejected when you were most likely saved your life.

I think, the Voss Dajan-Ko was talking about Theron. He's risking everything, complete isolation to save everything. His friends, his family, his way of life, this thing he has built... and his lover. This is Theron Shan. And he is not a traitor.

Your hypothesis makes a tremendous amount of sense to me.

I agree as it is right now it doesn't make any sense for LS but I went back and listened to that podcast where they were talking about it and after discussing how people were upset and that the story relates to trust and stuff Boyd did say something about that he hopes players show them (the writers) some trust in that the story will play out in a way they enjoy. So I'm still hopeful there will be more to it. Still really worried he's going to be killable though :(

And while it's hard to believe them anytime they say "soon", they were talking like there wouldn't be much of a wait for the next story bit and they said it will be a direct continuation of the Theron stuff.

Trust them? Sorry, they have done this traitor scene way too many time and still haven't learn that when you make one character be a traitor to both dark and light side it will never make sense. From my experience with them every character they have allowed to be killed has had no part of the story. While I understand that some want to kill them, that is their choice, but to completely put them off to the side, for those that didn't kill them, is laziness on the part of the writer.

Riddle me this? if Theron is the traitor then why is his @#$ still in my comp list? Yes, i can summon him, its like his betrayal never happened. His Betrayal, he exposed him self more or less. SO why is it when u replay Umbra the traitor is some one in a black clock cant see the face? Edited by Sith-Viscera

Riddle me this? if Theron is the traitor then why is his @#$ still in my comp list? Yes, i can summon him, its like his betrayal never happened. His Betrayal, he exposed him self more or less. SO why is it when u replay Umbra the traitor is some one in a black clock cant see the face?

Must be a bug for you, I guess. He was moved on my companions list to the "unsummonable" section with SCORPIO and Marr.

Trust them? Sorry, they have done this traitor scene way too many time and still haven't learn that when you make one character be a traitor to both dark and light side it will never make sense. From my experience with them every character they have allowed to be killed has had no part of the story. While I understand that some want to kill them, that is their choice, but to completely put them off to the side, for those that didn't kill them, is laziness on the part of the writer.

That is definitely a stinger in my side. KOTET is a good example of this in its treatment of Jorgan and Kaliyo. We see them in cutscenes but (unless their romanced) they don't have a single thing to say in any of the cutscenes! Not One! Just a small blurb of ambient dialogue on Iokath.

Now, I'm still holding on to hope for next expansion. I don't judge War for Iokath and Crisis on Umbara for their lack of Koth, Senya, and other potentially dead companions. But if those characters disappear in the next story expansion too? Then I'm gonna be a little bit upset. However, I did hear something a while back that Arcann's voice actor was recording voice lines for, as it was described, "what comes after Umbara". So I'm going to hope with a side of salt that these companions will still be around and important in the next xpac.

As a side note, not that I'm a super BW defender, but I don't think the killing off of a character is the main reason for their departure from the story. Sure, it is definitely one of the reasons, but the thing with the "epic single story" that all classes have to share is the massive cast of characters that have to be balanced. So with the focus on Theron and presumably more old companions trickling back in, it's hard to manage all your different characters pick and choose which of the "dead" should get some lines in a scene.

Well I'll see everyone on Nov 28th when we get to hear more about Theron and this whole traitor thing.

Well, given the Road Map that was just posted today I get the impression we'll at least be getting a holo call from him. Our favorite agent has some splainin to do! :D

Edited by Venn_Dras