Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What do you think were missed opportunities for Swtor?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What do you think were missed opportunities for Swtor?

Magnusheart's Avatar


Magnusheart
07.18.2018 , 09:56 PM | #1
Obligatory keep it nice, I am being very serious.




-Sith in the Sith Eradicator's Armor on Korriban, Dromund Kaas, Fleet etc as the symbolic attire for sith like the Knights are in the Eternal Empire
-Jedi in the Temple Guard outfits in Tython
-Huge lacking of Male/Mauarader style companion
-The KotET has rendered the playership useless, it would be nice to own another's
-Player Ship Decos cannot be entered.
-Black and Medium Red / White and Medium Blue dyes (sith trooper and republic trooper) dyes not existing
-Jet Boost being a force themed ability for Force Using Classes
-Lord Scourge not getting any story relevence in Shadow of Revan +
-Revan and Valkorians Original Body form (pure black eyes etc)not being seen in the Cpt 9
-HK-47 and T3-M4 skin for Kotor anniversary
-Full Body Darkside Corruption


and to quote another thread of mine, actual items that currently exist in the game files.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=951128
Black-White Crystals
Pure Black (and their crafting schematics) Color Crystals
Ship Droid Hoth, Envoy, Black, Black Sun Graffiti customizations.
CM leveling Relic procs Revans Cowl, Bastila's Shaw and Gauntlet of Tulak Hord. Chance on X to summon X force ghost to assist you in combat for X seconds.
HK-51 Dread Watchtower Customization. White Dread robot customization requires oricron rep.
HK Corrupter Zero Customization. Legacy bound.

xordevoreaux's Avatar


xordevoreaux
07.18.2018 , 10:07 PM | #2
Missed opportunities:

1. Not using Vulkan for its graphics engine
2. Lack of multiple factions rather than just imp and pub. Underworld would have been a nice 3rd
3. Lack of facial / body sliders
4. Lack of SSRs in original class stories
5. Lack of more versatile outfits (hoods)
6. Lack of dynamic day/night cycles / independently-sourced lighting (see #1)
7. Lack of high quality textures
8. Not hiring a decent graphics designer who knows how to wrap UV maps around meshes properly
9. Not shelling out more $$$ to incorporate more of the Legacy universe content (any 3K years prior to TPM?)
10. Not using another streaming service / streaming technique other than Bit Raider
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

IoNonSoEVero's Avatar


IoNonSoEVero
07.18.2018 , 10:10 PM | #3
1. Ability to reject companions in vanilla stories
2. Companions with all roles from beginning to allow point #1
3. More customization for player ships (placing companions)
4. Three full seasons of KOTFE
5. Exploration, planetary arcs and side missions on Zakuul, Odessen, Copero and Rishi
6. SSR in vanilla stories (scripted but not done)
7. Original plan for different class stories in KOTXX
8. Exploration and stories on interesting areas seen in flashpoints such as Kaon, Cadimimu and Althiss
9. More done with the solo starship battles

merovejec's Avatar


merovejec
07.18.2018 , 11:13 PM | #4
1. Could have picked a better engine
2. No free flying with Personal Starship
3. No free flying with GSF which you own
4. Guild Flagship battles and free flying from fleet to GS etc
5. No Hood up/down options
6. Missing third or 4th faction (Smuggler, Gangster, Underworld, Cartel....)
7. No specific class stories in expansions
8. Bounty Boards on players
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements before 5.9.2 67040

Khaleg's Avatar


Khaleg
07.18.2018 , 11:43 PM | #5
In general? A studio with at least some experience with mmos...including the professional attitude and love for details, bug tracking and fixing, not buying a non-supported and updated alpha version as a game engine and whatnot else.
Nal'augh, guild master "The Conqueror Fleet" - Tulak Hord
Do you want 7 free days of subscription and other freebies? Click here!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/doubleudude

merovejec's Avatar


merovejec
07.19.2018 , 12:26 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Khaleg View Post
In general? A studio with at least some experience with mmos...including the professional attitude and love for details, bug tracking and fixing, not buying a non-supported and updated alpha version as a game engine and whatnot else.
I think we can summarize it all and just blame the Game Engine.

If that would be fine you could solve all of the issues of the game. you can always hire new developers, coders, story tellers and add anything if its compatible with the engine and the coding is possible. Now very little is possible due to the engine and coding, so that's pretty much it.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements before 5.9.2 67040

Khaleg's Avatar


Khaleg
07.19.2018 , 12:44 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
I think we can summarize it all and just blame the Game Engine.

If that would be fine you could solve all of the issues of the game. you can always hire new developers, coders, story tellers and add anything if its compatible with the engine and the coding is possible. Now very little is possible due to the engine and coding, so that's pretty much it.
That is at least a very important part and I can't f... understand why anyone would think that it is a good idea to buy a non-supported Frankenstein of an engine (and be cheap regardng this core aspect of a game while the whole game is said to had a production budget of 300 Millions or something) for a usually long standing game genre like mmos...it's unbelievable. It's like beating yourself with a baseball bat.
Nal'augh, guild master "The Conqueror Fleet" - Tulak Hord
Do you want 7 free days of subscription and other freebies? Click here!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/doubleudude

Tsillah's Avatar


Tsillah
07.19.2018 , 12:45 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
I think we can summarize it all and just blame the Game Engine.

If that would be fine you could solve all of the issues of the game. you can always hire new developers, coders, story tellers and add anything if its compatible with the engine and the coding is possible. Now very little is possible due to the engine and coding, so that's pretty much it.
Yeah the engine is a big issue for this game. It's such a strange thing in a way to do something they've never done before like making an MMO and then use an unfinished, untested engine and then go mess about with it themselves.

But I have to say that true as that is, it's not the only main issue. One thing is also their communication and if they'd done a better job at that from the start instead of this "we know what we're doing" attitude, they might have made some improvements earlier on and had a lot more patience of players. I mean to lose 80% of the starting player base in less than 6 months is quite a feat and not a positive one.

To me that was a combination of three things: poor communication, engine issues (like Ilum PvP) and a way too low standard for endgame content and QoL. That last one is also a big issue because a new MMO has competition from existing MMOs. And even though you can't have the same level at start, it should've been better. Things like legacy banks took years to make it into the game. And it was such a staple item in other games it's just unforgivable to not have it. Also think of things like guild options which were virtually non-existent and well there's a lot more.

They banked too much on the IP and their self-perceived awesomeness and a bit of humility would've gone a long way I think.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

Nmyownworld's Avatar


Nmyownworld
07.19.2018 , 12:47 AM | #9
-- Lord Scourge not being part of KotFE/ET.
-- More female Smuggler romance options with NPCs.
-- Always Makeb-style story post vanilla: one for each faction -- complimentary but different.
-- Being able to pick up all planet arc stories again after they are Abandoned.
-- Not having the Ilum story arc auto-appear on mission logs, yet cannot be Abandoned.
-- Female JC romance option for Zenith.
-- Option to kick one class companion to the curb at the end of the vanilla story.
-- Ability to do non-class missions on accessible starter worlds. Why wouldn't a JK help out on Ord?
-- Sliders for character faces. Sometimes I can name the ingame NPC with the same face as the available options.
-- Also with character creation -- wrinkles for faces of both genders.
-- Easy, Veteran, and Master mode variations for class stories. Instead of easy only.
-- Port Nowhere not being a regularly used locale for Smugglers.

Khaleg's Avatar


Khaleg
07.19.2018 , 12:49 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Yeah the engine is a big issue for this game. It's such a strange thing in a way to do something they've never done before like making an MMO and then use an unfinished, untested engine and then go mess about with it themselves.

But I have to say that true as that is, it's not the only main issue. One thing is also their communication and if they'd done a better job at that from the start instead of this "we know what we're doing" attitude, they might have made some improvements earlier on and had a lot more patience of players. I mean to lose 80% of the starting player base in less than 6 months is quite a feat and not a positive one.

To me that was a combination of three things: poor communication, engine issues (like Ilum PvP) and a way too low standard for endgame content and QoL. That last one is also a big issue because a new MMO has competition from existing MMOs. And even though you can't have the same level at start, it should've been better. Things like legacy banks took years to make it into the game. And it was such a staple item in other games it's just unforgivable to not have it. Also think of things like guild options which were virtually non-existent and well there's a lot more.

They banked too much on the IP and their self-perceived awesomeness and a bit of humility would've gone a long way I think.
I agree totally. And QoL is what I meant with "love for detail". Quality control is an additional topic.
Nal'augh, guild master "The Conqueror Fleet" - Tulak Hord
Do you want 7 free days of subscription and other freebies? Click here!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/doubleudude